GameStop Halts Xbox One Preorders

Pages 1 2 NEXT

GameStop Halts Xbox One Preorders

gamestop

GameStop has reportedly already hit its Xbox One launch-day allocation.

GameStop outlets in the U.S. are no longer taking preorders for the upcoming Xbox One, having burned through its entire allotment of the "Xbox One Day One Edition." Multiple stores confirmed the situation with Polygon, stating that the order came down from on high to all stores in the country.

It's both good news and bad news for Microsoft: Good news because it means that people are still interested in the Xbox One despite a less-than-stellar showing at E3, and bad news because the per-store allocations appear to be fairly small, especially when compared to numbers for Sony's PlayStation 4. "We were only given an allocation of 16 Xbox Ones but we have 60 PlayStation 4s and we're still taking orders," the manager of a Calfornia-based store said.

The Xbox One is still several months away and Microsoft could increase allocations or shift inventory; it's also possible that the company was aiming low with its initial allocations, although I certainly don't mean to imply that any kind of shenanigans are afoot. GameStop also confirmed that while in-store reservations are no longer being taken, customers can still place preorders through the GameStop website.

Source: Polygon

Just remember before you start screaming about people's stupidity... 16 xboxes for each 60 PS4. 4 to 15, I believe is the ratio.

Nice faith you have in your own console there, Microsoft.

Chessrook44:
Just remember before you start screaming about people's stupidity... 16 xboxes for each 60 PS4. 4 to 15, I believe is the ratio.

That ratio would be more telling if Microsoft actually had a much higher allocation on pre-orders and only successfully filled 16.

"Our new console will be the best, it will change the world, it will sell millions, it will win the next generation!"

"How many did you make?"

"Uh, seven..."

So the Xbox One only gets about a quarter of the pre-order slots the PS4 has? With this and that whole anti-xbone flyer campaign it really seems like GameStop is shaking hands with Microsoft while holding a dagger behind their back.

I'm guessing it has something to do with what they think their servers will be able to handle during first launch? ... ... wait, that sounds way too logical.

Bix96:
So the Xbox One only gets about a quarter of the pre-order slots the PS4 has? With this and that whole anti-xbone flyer campaign it really seems like GameStop is shaking hands with Microsoft while holding a dagger behind their back.

its not just how many Gamestop are willing to sell, its also about how many they are being supplied, and Sony is confident enough to supply more hence why there are more for gamestop to sell

When I read the selling ratio, the first thing that came to mind was this

kogane:
I'm guessing it has something to do with what they think their servers will be able to handle during first launch? ... ... wait, that sounds way too logical.

That does make a lot of sense. That there will be massive stress on the MS servers on day one is a certainty, with everyone not only having to connect but also making downloading any patches that are available plus making the obligatory "Hey, I got a new console so I'll download something for it" purchases. Strictly limiting the number of units that are actually out in people's hands would be a much better and more controllable way to control traffic rather than trying to temporarily beef up your network infrastructure in hopes you've got enough to keep things from lagging or crashing.

Chessrook44:

That's almost 4 to One!

My gamestop had over 50 preorders for the x1. (Full disclosure, I work there) more ps4 units are available overall though

There's been a persistent rumour on Neogaf that Xbone production is slow because Microsoft and AMD were having big problems getting good yields in manufacturing. The rumour also states the the production Xbone will have a much slower GPU clock speed than originally intended due to this as well, since it's easier to get lower performing chips.

The roots cause being that the Xbone is a large chip, the CPU/GPU and 32mb eSRAM all being present (to increasing caching speed when using DDR3 RAM). Microsoft have come out and specifically denied this, but having sixteen consoles projected to be available at launch in LA makes it sound highly plausible.

Sony on the hand, are rumoured to be using a chip much closer to AMD standard offered spec, whatever that may be...

Sounds like MS just wanted to have headlines that sound nice when they read "Xbox One preorders sold out". Meh, at this point, I'll let MS do their thing, and keep my eye on the Wii U or PS4, or just consider sprucing up my PC a bit more.

Again, didn't this happen when PS3 launched? High price and low number of units available. CEO/PR claiming it's great despite the backlash. Deja vu, seriously.

When I saw this thread, I was hopelessly optimistic that Microsoft had unlodged their heads from their asses and did away with their used game policy thing.

If I can be honest for a moment, I really don't mind the check-in-with-"daddy"-once-every-24hrs thing. It's their policy on used games that nerfs me to no end.

Arawn:
Again, didn't this happen when PS3 launched? High price and low number of units available. CEO/PR claiming it's great despite the backlash. Deja vu, seriously.

Yeah, exactly! Only now, it's the other way around. Of course, Sony didn't implement an used game policy that would make Hitler do a double take or made us check in with "daddy" once every 24 hours.

This whole "people who buy a xbone are idiots" reaction is retarded. They just see what the console gives, and they want it. They are not stupid for wanting an xbone, just they dont give a shit about the issues others think are terrible. So really, stop insulting people that by the xbone just because you dont like it. I really dont like any Nintendo consoles or 1st party games, but i wouldnt say people that buy Wii or WiiU are idiots. Just thats its a console they want. Like those that pre order the xbone, they want it, and all the things people state are negatives, they dont care.

Sorry for the rant. I would think Gamestop would be a preferred Xbone 2nd hand game seller by MS, they have shops across america to make them viable. If they are not chosen by MS to sell 2nd hand games then Gamestop will just not stock the games or hardware. They say companies dont make much money selling new games and consoles, so why would they sell MS stuff in store if its not making them money?

How many of those pre-orders are people who will be selling them on eBay at an inflated price? I'm guessing many.

SonOfVoorhees:

Sorry for the rant. I would think Gamestop would be a preferred Xbone 2nd hand game seller by MS, they have shops across america to make them viable.

I think Gamestop may be angling to be the only approved re-seller on the North American continent. Certainly they (and Microsoft) will be looking for an opportunity to cut Ebay and peer to peer sales out of the loop.

Brilliant strategy.

Make less Xbones; claim they "sold out".

Wait, did they run out of Xbones, or just the Xbones with "I bought this on the first day" or whatever printed on the controller? Because I seem to remember that those exist, and maybe they just don't want to make too many of them in case there are some left over and people get to buy them the next day.

fix-the-spade:

SonOfVoorhees:

Sorry for the rant. I would think Gamestop would be a preferred Xbone 2nd hand game seller by MS, they have shops across america to make them viable.

I think Gamestop may be angling to be the only approved re-seller on the North American continent. Certainly they (and Microsoft) will be looking for an opportunity to cut Ebay and peer to peer sales out of the loop.

In the Uk its Game/Gamestation, im sure they would also want to be the sole sellers also. But like Gamestop, the only other companies would be supermarkets that have the cross country property to sell games. So walmart in USA or Tesco here. They dont do second hand games, so if not Gamestop, who else would their be?

SonOfVoorhees:
They are not stupid for wanting an xbone, just they dont give a shit about the issues others think are terrible.

I half-agree. They're either uncaring, or they're ill-informed. All the outcry is an attempt to reach the later group.

hooblabla6262:
Brilliant strategy.

Make less Xbones; claim they "sold out".

Worked for the Wii. Took months before they were actually available off-the-shelf.

jollybarracuda:
Sounds like MS just wanted to have headlines that sound nice when they read "Xbox One preorders sold out". Meh, at this point, I'll let MS do their thing, and keep my eye on the Wii U or PS4, or just consider sprucing up my PC a bit more.

I think the pre-order news is only a nice side effect and that the main reason is what others have said about avoiding another incident like Simcity with server stress.

However this begs the question as to what would be more damaging, a simcity server overload or a lot less consoles to go around at start. I know how people can be and it would not suprise me if someone cancelled their pre-order because they hate to wait two weeks after the system launched to get the damn thing.

Schadenfreude disappointment.

I was hoping that Gamestop lost faith enough in the XBone to willfully stop selling pre-orders.

I also imagine that if Microsoft were pressured enough, they might redact some of their draconian policies, such as the 24-hour phone in. They've done this plenty of times with pre-release windows bullshit.[1] And yeah, hardware, but I suspect that's a thing that can be disabled by firmware or even the soft OS.

The super-limited run sounds like Scientology marketing.

238U

[1] Remember that Vista had a required phone-in, a server-side kill switch and a non-transferable license. The public screamed loudly enough to get them to change it before release. Windows 8 has all sorts of bullshit but people were distracted by the appalling Metro.

SonOfVoorhees:
This whole "people who buy a xbone are idiots" reaction is retarded. They just see what the console gives, and they want it. They are not stupid for wanting an xbone, just they dont give a shit about the issues others think are terrible. So really, stop insulting people that by the xbone just because you dont like it. I really dont like any Nintendo consoles or 1st party games, but i wouldnt say people that buy Wii or WiiU are idiots. Just thats its a console they want. Like those that pre order the xbone, they want it, and all the things people state are negatives, they dont care.

Sorry for the rant. I would think Gamestop would be a preferred Xbone 2nd hand game seller by MS, they have shops across america to make them viable. If they are not chosen by MS to sell 2nd hand games then Gamestop will just not stock the games or hardware. They say companies dont make much money selling new games and consoles, so why would they sell MS stuff in store if its not making them money?

Eh, I can see the reasons behind the insults though, even if there is a much better approach to it. By buying into the XBox One and the policies that it holds, it tells the industry as a whole that those policies don't carry much negative weight to the gaming community, and we can start to see them become industry trends. To those of us completely against notions of anti-resell and online authentication policies, it's easy to become infuriated with people willing to accept and support them.

DVS BSTrD:

Chessrook44:

That's almost 4 to One!

Oh God.

Oh... God.

OT: I wonder if Microsoft is trying a "forced famine" gambit, ie. making their availability look really low to increase demand. I wouldn't put it past them at this point.

I wonder if Microsoft is simply going for a small install base with their console. It doesn't really make sense to me because they could just make a console that competes with the ps4 and a "special Xbox" that does this crap. I got an email from Amazon this morning informing me of popular "streaming media players" and at the top of the list was the Xbox One. Amazon apparently doesn't even consider it a console anymore

SonOfVoorhees:

The difference is that Nintendo isn't actively harming the games industry. Microsoft is trying to get away with 24 hour phone home DRM and get rid of used games, Nintendo just makes things that are unappealing to some people. I still think name calling is kind of stupid though. If you can't say anything nice...

fix-the-spade:
There's been a persistent rumour on Neogaf that Xbone production is slow because Microsoft and AMD were having big problems getting good yields in manufacturing. The rumour also states the the production Xbone will have a much slower GPU clock speed than originally intended due to this as well, since it's easier to get lower performing chips.

The roots cause being that the Xbone is a large chip, the CPU/GPU and 32mb eSRAM all being present (to increasing caching speed when using DDR3 RAM). Microsoft have come out and specifically denied this, but having sixteen consoles projected to be available at launch in LA makes it sound highly plausible.

Sony on the hand, are rumoured to be using a chip much closer to AMD standard offered spec, whatever that may be...

Yeah i have heard that too. The main problem is the extra hardware with the 32mb eSRAM bridge, basically it's a shortcut to increase bandwidth speed between the CPU and the slow DDR3 they put in there.

Kept hearing the yields are very lower, a high failure rate, heat being one of the problems and hence the rumour of the lowered clock speed.

I'm still amazed that Sony is using GDDR5, thats some fast ass ram, and oddly the PS4 seems to be cheaper to manufacture, with less failure rate than the xbones band-aid attempt.

Am I the only one that read the title only, and was going into the article thinking it was going to be about how Gamestop has an issue with the DRM and anti-used game status of Microsoft's new console, only to have pulled it from shelves before it's out? Seriously, misleading and kind of sad article.

Though the one interestingly funny thing about the article is how the PS4 has far more units per store than XbOne does. How wants to place a bet that over the next year after it's launch, the PS4 will get far more floor space at Gamestops than the XbOne will?

MinionJoe:

SonOfVoorhees:
They are not stupid for wanting an xbone, just they dont give a shit about the issues others think are terrible.

I half-agree. They're either uncaring, or they're ill-informed. All the outcry is an attempt to reach the later group.

Or the Xbone is just a legitimately better choice for them.

I was firmly in the PS4 camp myself, until they announced that you would have to pay Xbox Live style to play your games on the internet.

Now I am strongly considering an Xbone as I have some friends who are going to pick it up, and we would be able to pool our game libraries with the family features.

PC gaming is still my bread and butter though.

Desert Punk:

Or the Xbone is just a legitimately better choice for them.

Point. I've one friend who, last I knew, was still interested in the XB1 for it's multimedia applications (TV et al). So those features are what he's looking for. But when I mentioned MS's restrictions on used games and the online validation requirement, he didn't really care. So... mutually inclusive?

I was firmly in the PS4 camp myself, until they announced that you would have to pay Xbox Live style to play your games on the internet.

Whereas I'm the opposite. I'm a big fan of the 360 over the PS3, but I don't play multiplayer. Even with the new PS+ requirement, Sony will still allow streaming of Netflix without a paid subscription. This is actually a huge selling point in my favor. MS has never let you do anything online (other than buy games or receive patches) without paying for a Gold account.

That said, I'm still not sold on the PS4. Sony has too much history of trampling consumer rights. Unfortunately, Microsoft has surged ahead of them at this point. Still doesn't forgive Sony though.

PC gaming is still my bread and butter though.

The PC is my go-to for simulators and strategy games. But console is my preference for couch-based gaming. :)

neppakyo:

fix-the-spade:

Yeah i have heard that too. The main problem is the extra hardware with the 32mb eSRAM bridge, basically it's a shortcut to increase bandwidth speed between the CPU and the slow DDR3 they put in there.

Kept hearing the yields are very lower, a high failure rate, heat being one of the problems and hence the rumour of the lowered clock speed.

I'm still amazed that Sony is using GDDR5, thats some fast ass ram, and oddly the PS4 seems to be cheaper to manufacture, with less failure rate than the xbones band-aid attempt.

It wouldn't be a Microsoft console if it wasn't cheaply made, high-failure and heat-prone, right?

It also wouldn't be a Microsoft console if it wasn't possible to fix all those issues with a 50 cent washer any joe schmoe can buy at any Hardware store and just plop it into place. Don't know about this last part yet, no one does, but I'm willing to bet whatever issues XBone has this will fix it.

I think we are overlooking one huge thing.

16 people at least, actually pre-ordered the Xbone. Those are already 16 people to many who are just so happy to fork over their ownership rights, their privacy and basically their dignity because all their gamer friends will point and laugh at it every time they come over.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here