Microsoft Drops Xbox One DRM Restrictions - UPDATED

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

if this is the case FANTASTIC! however im still seeing an extra 80...

Mumorpuger:
Maybe they should change the name to the Xbox One Eighty.

Thank you for at least getting the concept of what a 180 vs a 360 actually is. I remember towards the beginning of this generation, I kept seeing Sony fans saying things like "you know why its called a 360? Cause you see one and do a 360 and walk away." it made me wish I had a Facepunch key on my computer.

I still don't want to pay $100 more for a less powerful console with a worse track record for exclusives (in my opinion), but this would be nice if it were true.

Assuming they get rid of the DRM will they also reverse the stance on game ownership?

Because unless I'm allowed to own the games I buy rather than just licensing them I'm still not touching the Xbox One.

My reaction if it turns out to be true:

But I'll still be angry at Microsoft for considering those options in the first place. And I will THEN consider buying one. So long as Game Ownership is still allowed.

Interesting what happens when people begin voting with money. We'll see if this turns out to be true but they've dug themselves an awfully deep hole so far. I don't know how much this will abate the crap-storm they've summoned over their heads. I mean, honestly, they've made my mind up for me against them already. They've lost this round.

Not only that, but in making the Xbone weaker than they had to, games will rely on cloud processing and that's ALWAYS ONLINE DRM. In which case what would they care about the 24-hour login if that's the future of their game?

Well, this would be welcome news, were it to be confirmed, and if I trusted Microsoft at all to keep its word, which I don't. In all likelihood (I don't know much about these things), the Xbox One's hardware is finalized, and this will just be a shift in the firmware. If Microsoft can pull this requirement, there's no reason that they can't add it again via firmware update once they've got a solid user base - they've already demonstrated enough sheer stupidity and disregard for their consumers that I wouldn't be surprised if they pulled a move like that.

Still, if it happens, it will be a good move - but it shouldn't buy back all their lost goodwill.

Not happening. They've good too far to back down now.
If it happens, it'll be a total joke. Can't believe a serious company like MS could do this.

Too late in my book.

They thought it was a great idea, and they strongly defended it for weeks

how we should be educated
how we should go back to 360 if you don't like it
and other ways of belittling potential consumers..

I have 360 and couple of games on it but I won't support the next one.

Desert Punk:

OlasDAlmighty:
But I thought all those were fundamentally necessary in order to make the console work properly. You're telling me Microsoft could (gasp) turn it off all along?

Well it's good to hear Microsoft (might) be listening to the gaming community and/or reason.

However, this does make all those arguments from Xbone supporters defending all these restrictions seem somewhat funny in retrospect.

You know, I may be cynical, but its possible, just possible, that they KNEW going in that these were terrible policies, never intending to keep them.

Setting themselves up for a masterstroke of going "We listen to our consumers, we are here for YOU, so all those things you railed against (And we knew you would -snicker-) are going away, because we love you, and are here to serve." gaining a good deal of popular support if they follow through.

Oh my God. You sir, have just blown my mind. It's all a conspiracy!!! Microsoft is working for the illuminati!!!!!!!!!

Maybe I'm imagining things, but didn't PS3 games originally come with codes that would make them one-use only (similar to disk games on PC), only for them to stop using that system?

Hmm...nah, I think I'll still buy a PS4 to air on the side of caution. Sorry MS, you screwed the pooch and neutering it won't save you from the consequences after the fact.

hentropy:
Hoo boy. Once they do this they'll probably strip away everything else that was crappy with it as well. Damage is already done though it seems.

Not really, there are still a few crappy things left if this is true, including: no SDTV support; mandatory, always listening Kinect still forced on everyone; and still awful for indie devs. But still, if this is true, this does help fix a ton of problems the console had.

OT:

The 8th gen console wars might have just gotten quite a bit more interesting...

Adam Jensen:
But they were praising their DRM as something good for the consumers.
2. Cloud processing was always a lie if all the games can work offline

Nah, the cloud processing was only ever supposed to be for things like lighting, precalculating cloth physics... stuff that is non-essential for actually playing the game.

P.S. Thanks

Why do people still think the kinect is 'always on' when there are multiple documents and insiders telling you can turn it off?

Mumorpuger:

All the cookies, man. All of them. They are all yours.

If it's true then wow, they actually do listen/ look from the feedback! Still this isn't the first time the fan had triumph.

haHA.

SUCK IT people who said our whinging was pointless!

Who ever said shitfitting for weeks straight never solved anything?

I'm EXTREMELY doubtful this is as good as it sounds, but I'm still pleased.

What's that they say about getting away with raising taxes by 5%? Raise them by 10% initially, then agree to reduce to a 5% increase after "listening to the voting public".

(Edit: gais gais SimCity doesn't need to be online either! trolololol)

So now the real question:

Do we keep calling it the Xbone? Or redub it the Xbox 180?

Kudos to Microsoft if this turns out true. There still might be hope for that industry. I only believe it if I see it though. I'm a PC gamer, so I'm not planing on getting either of the next gen consoles (none of the exclusives sold me to such an investment so far).
As PC-gamer I've seen quite the DRM bullshit, forced online requirements and plain broken offline modes. I really hope for you console guys that you are spared these worst parts of PC-gaming.

If I do decide to buy a new console over switching to PC I still see no reason not to walk out of the shop with a PS4 and whatever-the-difference-in-price-is-for-the-UK-which-will-very-unfairly-not-be-as-much-as-$100.

Suddenly Giantbomb is down, and Kotaku is reporting the rumor as fact. Wonder how this will turn out.

Surly this makes it the Xbox One.5 doesn't it?

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/update

This is the confirmation

Teoes:

(Edit: gais gais SimCity doesn't need to be online either! trolololol)

I was waiting for a SimCity reference. Ha.

Me? Still not buying it. Who's to say they won't add the requirements back in later, especially if the framework and such is already there? They could sell it to us as 'fixed' in our eyes, then turn around and flip the DRM switch on us whilst cackling madly knowing people will just shrug and keep playing since they already own the system.

Confirmed here:
http://news.xbox.com/2013/05/qa

Well, kinda confirmed.

"Q: Does Xbox One require an "always on" Internet connection?
A: No, it does not have to be always connected, but Xbox One does require a connection to the Internet."

&

"Q: Will Xbox One allow players to trade in, purchase and play pre-owned games?
A: We are designing Xbox One to enable customers to trade in and resell games. We'll have more details to share later."

...answers seem a bit too vague for me to trust.

Paigan7:
Confirmed here:
http://news.xbox.com/2013/05/qa

Well, kinda confirmed.

"Q: Does Xbox One require an "always on" Internet connection?
A: No, it does not have to be always connected, but Xbox One does require a connection to the Internet."

&

"Q: Will Xbox One allow players to trade in, purchase and play pre-owned games?
A: We are designing Xbox One to enable customers to trade in and resell games. We'll have more details to share later."

...answers seem a bit too vague for me to trust.

Yes, and again. When Microsoft is pushing for developers to use it's cloud processing services it's actually pushing for always online DRM anyways. So giving ground here is basically pointless.

Listen to these comments! People just love to hate. MS are damned if they do, damned if they don't.

If this ends up being true, it shows that MS is a company willing to listen, even if it means scrapping plans they are heavily invested in. This is something major game corporations don't really seem to do. I'll wait for the XB1 to be release before voting with my money.

But I would definitely vote for a company that knows how to "man up" to their mistakes and make things right.

And I doubt they are setting up a "trap". That would permanently destroy anybodies faith in them and that isn't good for profit. Ever.

If true, this would be the second good decision Microsoft has made regarding this console... it would also be just about the same level of no-brainer as using x86 hardware.

Somehow I still doubt it, though. Sorta reminds me of this:

If the rumor is true, than I say it probably is due to poor pre-order numbers. Only hard cash speaks louder than the voice of the masses.

Mumorpuger:

sunglasses go on. the Who scream in the backgroud

OT well done MS for not being as stuborn as i thought

I'll just copy what I just said about this in my user group.

Even if these rumours of Microsoft changing all that crap were true. The PS4 is still a better console, and cheaper. Hell, even if it wasn't, I would still buy the PS4 just to spite Microsoft for trying all that crap in the first place.

It's all just a firmware update away though. So why risk it?

WE HAVE CONFIRMATION PEOPLE :D

Engadget & Blistered Thumbs are both reporting that they have official statements that Microsoft is tired of getting its dick kicked in

Happy days, folks

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or