Microsoft Drops Xbox One DRM Restrictions - UPDATED

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Good for them. They've gotten rid of one of many reasons I will not be getting an Xbone. Get rid of Kinect always on, actually get rid of Kinect entirely. I still doubt I will pick up an Xbone. Maybe in 4 years when it price drops and if it has 5+ exclusives that I actually want. Otherwise I think I'll just stick with my PC and Wii U and get a PS4.

its definitely a plus but the Kinect is still there

Watching...

Always watching.....

If anything, this shows how by being vocal and making our thoughts heard, nothing in the world is concrete.
Microsoft has atleast made the right decision by reversing the policy, and hopefully this means that people who really want to experience games like the new Halo and other potential games won't have to skip out based on restriction fears.
You all a bunch of gamervists:)

Hmm... Beg me, Mattrick...beg me.

Oh I'm so sorry Microsoft...but the new Xbox has kinda committed Seppukku and it's looking a lil'late to scoop its guts off the floor and put them back in...

Ladies and gentlemen. People around the net and my store have said that those of us that rose up and complained about Microsoft's business practice regarding the Xbone were the "minority"; that we were just whining and being stupid. Well this right here proves that all my (and many, many others') rants and posts speaking out have done a great thing: We. Have. Won.

We forced Microsoft to completely turn around on its policies...and it feels good. We, as customers, are vindicated. We caused EA to change course on its "online pass". We changed the course of the Xbox One. Now we will look to change triple-A games and their ridiculous attitudes about spending (and yes, I'm looking straight at you "Cliffy-B").

But let's take a moment and celebrate that today, the customer WAS actually right. :)

CardinalPiggles:

Arnoxthe1:
Besides, if you guys really have a problem with privacy, then put a bloody box over the Kinect FFS.

While this is some sort of solution, it's not a very good one.

What if you don't want one at all? Can you buy the console without it?

What if you don't have space to even put a Kinect, let alone use one.

What if you don't have a lot of money and don't want to pay extra for something almost completely fucking useless barring it's advanced voice recognition (which could be implemented into a headset microphone).

This is what gets me with the whole Kinect thing, everyone saying "Just put a towel over it""Just turn it around""just put a box on it or make it face the ceiling". I'm not sure about this, but has anyone considered that the controllers NEED Kinect to even function? I'm not sure if they do, but I wouldn't be surprised if they do.

Also that's a lame ass solution. I'm not spending $500 on a console to drape a dirty sock over the eye of a camera I never even had the option to not purchase in the first place.

inkheart_artist:
Okay, Jim Sterling. Can we now take a look at how shitty the PS4 and the Xbox One (really the whole next gen of consoles) are now that they're on equal footing?

but they are not, the kinnect still spies on you, constantly. Also I want no adverts on Xbox live, or a way to block the ads and having a better price point. Better yet free multi player. If all of these things happen, they will be on equal footing.

But I'm going to upgrade my laptop with a SSD and give it more ram over the course of this generation, that seems more sensible, not getting a console.

While this is good news, I'll be sticking with the PS4 from now on. My brother can have the Xbox One!

Gothproxy:
Ladies and gentlemen. People around the net and my store have said that those of us that rose up and complained about Microsoft's business practice regarding the Xbone were the "minority"; that we were just whining and being stupid. Well this right here proves that all my (and many, many others') rants and posts speaking out have done a great thing: We. Have. Won.

We forced Microsoft to completely turn around on its policies...and it feels good. We, as customers, are vindicated. We caused EA to change course on its "online pass". We changed the course of the Xbox One. Now we will look to change triple-A games and their ridiculous attitudes about spending (and yes, I'm looking straight at you "Cliffy-B").

But let's take a moment and celebrate that today, the customer WAS actually right. :)

Hear hear. It's good to know our voice makes a difference. Forget the whole "entitled gamer" thing. We are costumers first and companies should be grateful to have our business. But now is not the time to get complacent. We should keep our eyes open to make sure these features don't creep their way back into ANY console. But yeah, I'm cracking open a beer to celebrate.

I'm sure the EULA states they can turn these requirements back on at any time. The architecture is surely built into the console already and I doubt they'd be going back to remove it. This is probably nothing more than an On/Off switch.

You didn't do this for your consumers, did you Microsoft? You only did it because you realised how much of a loss you were going to make.

Still, at least those less than well informed aren't about to be screwed over. Not at the moment anyway.

I read that as if they think they are doing the change "for us" as a result of "our feedback" when it's probably all about them deciding that they would indeed make more money this way, fearing so many people would instead flock to the PS4.

They didn't do jack for us, this is still for them. Sure those who desire an XBoxOne will obviously benefit, but we all know they didn't do this for us - they did it for them. If they really cared as they seem to be trying to say this would never have occurred in the first place. What a load of transparent BS.

Also, what about the eavesdropping issues?

What's stopping them from bringing back all that bad stuff when they get an install base?

People will slink back to MS. It's a given. But at the same time I think some will be cautious in their approach. They were dead set on their system before this. Everyone told you it was their way or the highway. Now it's all undone. Just a flick of the wrist as stroke of the pen. All that "This is the future" was complete nonsense. Maybe they will reactivate it just as people let their guard down. Read the fine print, there's something else going on.

This is good news. However,I'm still not buying it,give that it costs $100 more with no real benefit to me. Maybe some point down the line,if there are enough exclusives I want and the kinect stops being required...

This makes me wonder two things:

1)How much information about the XBox One80 was a blatant lie

And

2)If ClifyB still thinks used games are bad

Either way, they still want us to be Kinected, so it's still a 'no' for me.

Oskuro:
All this tells me is that these features were neither essential nor difficult to remove.

Again, features that are forced unto consumers for no good reason beyond the manufacturer's benefit.

I'm not happy. They will keep trying this. They are now trying to save face so the Xbone sells somewhat, and, mark my words, once the system is adopted they'll gradually reintroduce the limitations.

Heck, that's their strategy with Windows 8 and the Windows Store! As has been in the past with all their products.

It'll be interesting to see, at the end of this next generation, how many of the things being decried now as unfair have eventually been introduced and assimilated as normal.

Sad times ahead.

Amen, brother. Also, if you read the press release, the Xbone still needs to be connected at least once: "After a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One". They're not even backpedaling that far away from it.

My bet is they'll replicate what Sony did with the PS3 Other OS removal and reinstate the DRM three years in, citing piracy of games as a crippling problem they have to curb to remain viable. The only reason they've 'removed' the DRM now is to get the console to sell, because they were obviously banking that Sony would do the same as them.

Captcha: know your rights.
Amen to you too, captcha.

While I do applaud Microsoft for making this move and actually listening to their customers, I don't care.

Too little too late. They intended to use this concept. They defended it and effectively insulted us at every turn while doing so. They aren't sorry. They don't think they were wrong. They are doing this to save face. Because PS4 was destroying them on every front. They care about your money, not your rights as a consumer. Fuck Microsoft.

No one should buy the console. It's tainted. I want to see those pompous jerks actually apologize. To say they are sorry. That would be something.

Oh, and Titanfall will likely be porting over to PS4 as well. The developers seem to be implying as such.

So, I'm sticking with my better, cheaper, system, with a company that at least pretends to listen to me. Besides, Infamous 3, Knack, support for Indie developers... The list goes on.

No thank you.

And now the only obstacle is the price tag, which is still too high. But now xbox comes in at a near tie for my affections with the ps4

Microsoft's first "port of call" with the XB1 was to favour the corporations and crap on the consumer. They've been hit by massive backlash and have deemed it "profitable" to reverse the policies.

This, contrary to what everyone is saying, is a bad thing. Many will change allegiance back to the XB1 on the basis of this reversal, making them massively prone to Microsoft, at any point, switching all these measures back on. Or, they'll do a frog in slow-boiling water move, and re-introduce them over a number of years. At that point, you're so invested in the eco-system, that you're stuck, unless you have huge disposable income.

Yes, this is all stuff that has not happened (yet), but, considering Microsoft's initial performance at E3 and everything it introduced with the XB1 initially, betting on them pulling something like that would be a sensible bet.

I'm not really a console person, but if I was to consider one, it will be the PS4. And not just for this whole drama. The PS4 just looks to be the superior console, all round, even with it being on "level terms" with the XB1 in terms of these policies.

We listened to our customers...

Bullshit, you realised that you had just handed you primary opponent a great big huge club to beat you to death with and now you're desperately trying to make the club go away.

If this was a reaction to customer feedback then it would have been announced at E3 ahead of Sony tearing them a new asshole (and leaving Sony with a lot less fan love)...instead MS waited to see if Sony were going to join them in this act of lunacy and now are doing desperate damage control.

Nothing is going to stop them from just reversing the decision partway through the generation. Still not going to trust them with a barge-pole.

Everyone of the higher ups at Microsoft's gaming division should be fired.

Mattrick, Nelson, PR guys, everyone.

Fucking assholes, the lot of them.

Micalas:
I'm sure the EULA states they can turn these requirements back on at any time. The architecture is surely built into the console already and I doubt they'd be going back to remove it. This is probably nothing more than an On/Off switch.

Exactly, I'm not going to trust them. Their true nature has been shown and I want no part in that... A shame since I love my 360.

Possibly nice, all we have to do now is to get them to kill always on Kinect.

inkheart_artist:
Okay, Jim Sterling. Can we now take a look at how shitty the PS4 and the Xbox One (really the whole next gen of consoles) are now that they're on equal footing?

But that's the thing, they're not on equal footing, it's just less uneven than before
The 180 still requires online when you first log on with a new game
It's still 100 dollars more expensive
Kinect is still required
The PS4 is still markedly more powerful
There is a greater variety of exclusives on the PS4
The PS4 still has drastically superior indy support
PS+ is a far superior service compared tio Live, and it cheaper (Especially if Amazon is correct when it says that Xbox Lie will go up to 100 bucks for the 180)
And the PS4 can be used on non-HDMi TVs
Plus other little things, like being able to use Netflix on sony systems WITHOUT a PS+ subscription, unlike Micrsoft

Shamanic Rhythm:

Oskuro:
All this tells me is that these features were neither essential nor difficult to remove.

Again, features that are forced unto consumers for no good reason beyond the manufacturer's benefit.

I'm not happy. They will keep trying this. They are now trying to save face so the Xbone sells somewhat, and, mark my words, once the system is adopted they'll gradually reintroduce the limitations.

Heck, that's their strategy with Windows 8 and the Windows Store! As has been in the past with all their products.

It'll be interesting to see, at the end of this next generation, how many of the things being decried now as unfair have eventually been introduced and assimilated as normal.

Sad times ahead.

Amen, brother. Also, if you read the press release, the Xbone still needs to be connected at least once: "After a one-time system set-up with a new Xbox One". They're not even backpedaling that far away from it.

My bet is they'll replicate what Sony did with the PS3 Other OS removal and reinstate the DRM three years in, citing piracy of games as a crippling problem they have to curb to remain viable. The only reason they've 'removed' the DRM now is to get the console to sell, because they were obviously banking that Sony would do the same as them.

Captcha: know your rights.
Amen to you too, captcha.

I was going to say something similar to the above two posts, but now I don't have to. At any rate, it is huge that this is confirmed. But I still don't want Kinect, so yeah. Still not a purchase.

So much strangled stumbling attempted hate in this thread.

Microsoft DID SOMETHING RIGHT, in a quantity that took EVERYONE by surprise (yes, including you). Can we not just have a one-thread fiesta before we go right back to "no, screw you" or "now get rid of the Kinect"?

No?

Sadface.

lacktheknack:

Microsoft DID SOMETHING RIGHT, in a quantity that took EVERYONE by surprise (yes, including you). Can we not just have a one-thread siesta before we go right back to "no, screw you" or "now get rid of the Kinect"?

No?

Sadface.

They did something right, but only to escape a problem they created. That's not praiseworthy

So...the supposed "need" for the cloud to make all these new awesome xbox one games possible is somehow...lifted now? How? What made it happen?

Are they gonna shelf all those games now cause people don't want the cloud?

Hmm...something tells me these games didn't really need that thing at all in the first place!

lacktheknack:

Microsoft DID SOMETHING RIGHT, in a quantity that took EVERYONE by surprise (yes, including you). Can we not just have a one-thread siesta before we go right back to "no, screw you" or "now get rid of the Kinect"?

No?

Sadface.

I would give them props... if they did this at ALL for the benefit of their customers.

But they didn't. They did it because Sony pre-orders were reportedly 11-to-1 over XBone preorders, and because the social media outcry reached a crescendo.

hatok:

lacktheknack:

No?

Sadface.

They did something right, but only to escape a problem they created. That's not praiseworthy

I didn't say "praise Microsoft", I said "one-thread siesta".

Because, you know, consumers have displayed that they have some power for once. That's worth being really excited about.

hatok:

inkheart_artist:

But that's the thing, they're not on equal footing, it's just less uneven than before
The 180 still requires online when you first log on with a new game
It's still 100 dollars more expensive
Kinect is still required
The PS4 is still markedly more powerful
There is a greater variety of exclusives on the PS4
The PS4 still has drastically superior indy support
PS+ is a far superior service compared tio Live, and it cheaper (Especially if Amazon is correct when it says that Xbox Lie will go up to 100 bucks for the 180)
And the PS4 can be used on non-HDMi TVs
Plus other little things, like being able to use Netflix on sony systems WITHOUT a PS+ subscription, unlike Micrsoft

For the last time, all of the Amazon prices on the as-of-yet unpriced consoles are PLACEHOLDERS.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here