PS4 Gets Round Of Late Night Applause For Used Game Policies

PS4 Gets Round Of Late Night Applause For Used Game Policies

Late Night With Jimmy Fallon spends some time with Sony's Mark Cerny.

"The big story that everyone's talking about," Fallon interjects at about 1.14, "is that this system is the only one where you can still play used games." That, and the PS4's internet policy gets a big round of applause from the Late Night audience, applause which might have helped tip the scales over at Microsoft, prompting it to change its Xbone policies. Microsoft's big pitch was always to the mainstream; if even Jimmy Fallon's audience wasn't on board with Microsoft's policies, you have to wonder who would have been.

In other news, Knack looks like it could be fun, in a cheerful knockabout kinda way. "It's sort of Crash Bandicoot meets Katamari Damacy, says Sony's Mark Cerny. You play as Knack, a creature created in a lab who gains abilities from the crystals he encounters, defending humanity from attacking goblins.

The PS4's due out for the 2013 holiday season, priced at $399. Even with the recent Xbone reversal, the $100 price difference is still a significant hurdle. Sony knows it can't afford to be complacent; come holiday 2013, we'll see how the new consoles fare in head-to-head sales.

Source: Late Night YouTube

It's been said before, but it really needs to be said again, it's kind of sad that we are even in a situation where Sony has been getting kudos for simply not screwing customers over.

It also goes to show that Microsoft didn't truly believe in their used game and online policies. If they really thought it was the way forward then they'd have instead chosen to work hard to prove why it's a good idea, not backtrack just to try and win back those who were against it.

Money speaks louder than convictions though, I guess.

Legion:
It's been said before, but it really needs to be said again, it's kind of sad that we are even in a situation where Sony has been getting kudos for simply not screwing customers over.

It also goes to show that Microsoft didn't truly believe in their used game and online policies. If they really thought it was the way forward then they'd have instead chosen to work hard to prove why it's a good idea, not backtrack just to try and win back those who were against it.

Money speaks louder than convictions though, I guess.

Reading the bolded part of what you typed made me think of this little tidbit of a skit:

These recent courses of action by Microsoft have ensured that I won't be a customer of theirs much longer. In fact, I have pre-ordered a PS4 and, after getting my paycheck today, am going to be picking up a Vita and Persona 4 Golden to voice my opinion about Microsoft in most effective manner that I can possibly make.

And if Sony wants to try M$'s line of bullshit, I'll have no hesitation in doing the same to them.

Not terribly knowledgeable on Jimmy Fallon, but he doesn't appear to be faking the geek-atude. Tip-off for me was when he noted the incredible water physics in the middle of a battle; that's the eye of a gamer right thur :P

Pretty sure this was a big reason Microsoft dropped the Always-on & Used game blocking; it's one thing for it to happen at E3, where just the hardcore are watching, but a lot of people watch Late Night tv like this. Millions of consumers learned just then that only the PS4 would support used games

So like was this really the reason for Microsoft to drop the restrictions?

surprised that game news have gotten mainstream

On the one hand, if this is what it took for Microsoft to stop believing those who kept claiming the dissatisfied were a narrow range of overly loud whiners, it's hard for me to dislike that.

On the other hand, saying that the PS4 was the only system that could "still play used games" wasn't, strictly speaking, true- and I'd much rather that, however righteous the cause, it was supported by claims that were accurate.

This right here is an example of why its a good thing that gaming has become much more mainstream. Microsoft was probably counting on pushing their BS on us without being placed under some wide scale public scrutiny. And here you have it in the eyes of millions of TV viewers, not just hardcore gamers. I'm willing to bet this was the last straw that made them change their policy.

I think it VERY unlikely that Microsoft has changed it's mind only a few days ago and even less so because of this one show. I think it's more likely that they have been planning the change since before E3 (and that's why they cancelled the press interviews afterwards).

And if they did change their minds so recently, it would have been the CRUSHING pre-order numbers that did it.

Amazon did a user poll and 94% voted for the PS4. Now that hurts!

It is nice, however, that gaming discussion is getting mainstream attention.

Better coverage than from some other countries. This was direct and to the point both on the diferences of policy between the PS4 and the now Xbox 1-80 (better sounding, worse jab to mention, gotta love it ^^), and the capabilities of the PS4. Very happy this was covered in a Late Night show. ^^

Also, that game...

Zombie_Moogle:
Not terribly knowledgeable on Jimmy Fallon, but he doesn't appear to be faking the geek-atude. Tip-off for me was when he noted the incredible water physics in the middle of a battle; that's the eye of a gamer right thur :P

Aye, his attitude for the game had me grinning. The game itself also looks to be a cross between crash bandicoot for the PS1/2 and very very mild elements of Katamary, with Crash being completely dominant.

The way he was playing made me remember the way I used to play Crash back in the day, and it's that kind of game too! So happy they made a game like this again! =D

Captcha: Brick House.

Even those won't stand a chance captcha, Knack's comin'. =P

It is na´ve to think that there will be no DRM on PS4 games, seeing how against second-hand games the publishers are. It'll happen, just you watch, and I will be there to laugh when it does.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here