Rumor: Valve has Left 4 Dead 3, Half-Life 3, and More On The Way

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Rumor: Valve has Left 4 Dead 3, Half-Life 3, and More On The Way

HL3 Leak

Leaks point to Valve projects currently in the works.

The enthusiasts over at ValveTime have uncovered a supposed list of internal projects from the secretive developer. While the list is obviously an internal project tracker and offers no other context, it points to expected projects like Half Life 3 and Source 2, as well as surprising entries like Left 4 Dead 3.

According to ValveTime, the listing inadvertently leaked to a mailing list when it was trying to resolve an issue with Jira, their project management software.

Further digging reveals that the Left 4 Dead 3 list has multiple mailing lists, while the perpetually MIA Half Life 3 has only one listing. While the L4D3 group has 68 members, the HL 3 group has only 42. ValveTime seems to think that these lists still include ex-employees, so numbers are hardly exact. This leads to speculation that a Half Life sequel is still a ways down the line.

The listing also reveals mysteries like Cries Unheard and Microbe Wars. Considering the unorthodox way that Valve operates, it's hard to say if these are actual games in development or just experiments.

ValveTime claims to verify the lists because they include employee clubs and extracurricular activities which "are very obscure, but known by our researchers". This could be viewed as being impressive....or creepy.

Source: Valve Time

IanDavis:
-snip-

Rumor: Valve has Left 4 Dead 3, Half-Life 2, and More On The Way

That doesnt seem right...

OT: L4D3 and Hl3 confirmed. How amazing would it be if they announced them both on the same day.

Yes yes. It's all very exciting to see pseudo-concrete evidence of Half-Life 3, Left 4 Dead 3, Source 2, etc, etc.

However, I'm easily just as intrigued in the following entries:
Microbe Wars
Cries Unheard
Stars of Blood
SteamMMO / SteamMMO core

New IP ideas? Experimental game projects? New titles planned to showcase Source 2?

I don't know. But again, I'm intrigued.

Doom-Slayer:

IanDavis:
-snip-

That doesnt seem right...

OT: L4D3 and Hl3 confirmed. How amazing would it be if they announced them both on the same day.

gigastar:

IanDavis:

Quoted for accuracy.

GawRammit!! I wanted to point that out! Also, I am crying tears of joy for when Gordon and Chell meet and a fight ensues with Alex.

Clickbait title, how surprising.
This isn't a confirmation, it's just another rumor
Of course Valve would be discussing HL3 internally, it's their biggest brand, doesn't mean it's in development.

It would be funny if they called it "Left 4 Dead 5" Just to confuse the ever loving hell out of us. Skip 3, 4 is already in the title, so go to the next best number.

Tradjus:
Clickbait title, how surprising.
This isn't a confirmation, it's just another rumor
Of course Valve would be discussing HL3 internally, it's their biggest brand, doesn't mean it's in development.

Um... "Rumor" is the first word in the title, so it's not clickbait.

OT: More psuedo-confirmation of HL3? Don't we get 3 of these every year? Color me indifferent. I won't believe it until I see a disk. L4D3 is surprising though...

The internet collectively splooged when they read those three words.

Come on guys... we're getting desperate by this point for rumours. Its... its time to let it go, man. Let it go! T^T

Right........ I'm gonna go drench my head in a bucket of water now.
Who knew, VALVe does understand the meaning of third installments after all

Vigormortis:
Yes yes. It's all very exciting to see pseudo-concrete evidence of Half-Life 3, Left 4 Dead 3, Source 2, etc, etc.

Microbe Wars
Cries Unheard
Stars of Blood
SteamMMO / SteamMMO core

New IP ideas? Experimental game projects? New titles planned to showcase Source 2?

If the Steambox is still a thing perhaps they are putting some launch games together for it. I think it is more likely to be related to Source 2 though, but either way if they actually release some new games i will be happy.

Doom-Slayer:

IanDavis:
-snip-

gigastar:

IanDavis:

Quoted for accuracy.

I don't get this. Do people take issue with Half-Life 2 for some reason?

I don't see how Left 4 Dead 3 is suprising, what with the current Dev trend of fearing new titles and loving bigger numbers.

I think the title for this article should have just been:

Rumour: Valve has done something.

God, I hate stories like this, b/c we all know it's a shell game signifying nothing. We'll see Starcraft: Ghost and a decent Superman game before we see Halflife 3.

I don't hate Valve, I'm just disappointed in them. I can't even blame them. Why bother risking your career in gaming Nirvana when you can just continue to improve a stellar service that people can't get enough of?

Seriously, that's why Square-Enix won't do FF7 until they need a saving throw. They're just trolling us with the HD remakes of 8-10. If FF7 HD Remix came out and sucked, people would never buy Square's games again.

I'm past it, and would rather a full rework of the older NES and SNES titles.

And at this point, the hype machine for HL3 is so far gone, it is impossible to do it justice.

I'd actually respect if Valve did a community driven effort to create various mods/standalone alternate endings. Have a few groups work on separate 5 hour campaigns to end the series in their own ways, none being "canon," but all being "elseworlds."

Sure it's a copout, but I think it'd be a great exercise. Arguably, the best experiences I have had in Elder Scrolls have been fan generated content!

seeing so many 3's makes me think that valve will never release those games o.O

Miracles do happen, you know. You money is right here, Valve, in my wallet, waiting...

Though I despise Valve and their games, it makes sense for them to have a few big releases if they intend to have a console. They need a real selling point, after all.

The way Valve operates, it doesn't surprise me that there are a ton of games coming out from them. When you have a design philosophy that allows programmers as much time as possible, with the ability to jump and work on any part of a game as they see fit, I can imagine that it allows for a terribly long development time, but a ton of different stuff being made too. I wouldn't even be surprised if all the games were all at the same point in developement as well. Hopefully we can see some of them soon.

Rumors are probably the most dissappointing things around. I am still waiting on the Black Widow movie for instance, rumored to be in pre-production since before the release of Iron Man 2. Haven't heard a peep from it since. That's my point. Rumors are worthless unless Valve comes with confirmation.

The value of information is measured by the reliability of the source.

Me55enger:

I think the title for this article should have just been:

Rumour: Valve has done something.

Best comment.

On topic, I'm probably the only person left alive who hasn't played the Half-Lifes, so no excitement there. I'd play the balls out of L4D3, though.

I believe the next L4D iteration should be titled "L3FT 4 D3AD".

Also, the report of 42 employees being assigned to HL3 is inconsistent with my own findings.

Eh, there's been that many rumours now that I'm not believing shit until there's an official announcement from Valve themselves.

I thought we all agreed years ago that sometime during the turn of the millennium Gabe contracted a serve case of Triskaphobia, given to him by the Rock 'N' Roll loving aliens that abducted Elvis. Thus he couldn't herald the end of existence with the end of the Half Life series?

Raiyan 1.0:
I believe the next L4D iteration should be titled "L3FT 4 D3AD".

More like "<3FT 4 D3&D".

Vigormortis:
SteamMMO / SteamMMO core

I think that one is already in the wild. A system tacked onto Steam a few weeks ago that allows you to use your Steam account and payment preferences to pay for ongoing subscription-based games. Then again, maybe they are planning a few extra fiddly bits down the line.

Ooh! How about flags? You earn flags as promotional items or for owning certain games, then can display flags in different MMOs you play. So, say for instance, you really like playing Firefall, the upcoming FPSMMO. You get a Firefall flag for playing that game, then, when someone asks you to play Spiral Knights, a top-down dungeon crawler MMO, you can display your Firefall flag on your person.

Okay, now that I've typed it out, it seems kinda silly.

True or not, Valve better put out something soon. The masses are getting kinda cranky and there are only so many hats TF2 can offer before the fans get restless.

WaitWHAT:
Hmmm.... A little slow there, escapist....

Yeah, I started a thread about this a couple of days ago http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.819347-Half-Life-3-L4D3-Source-2-found-in-Valve-Project-Tracker#19749063

Regardless, any sign of progress on HL3 is good news to me. I'll take any excuse to get my hopes up.

Obligatory: http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/half-life-3-confirmed

That said, the timing could be ripe for Valve to finally come out of their hibernation and release some games. It would make sense if they've been perfecting their Source Engine 2 and Steam Box in order to cluster fuck us with awesomeness. A guy can dream

Vigormortis:

Microbe Wars
Cries Unheard
Stars of Blood
SteamMMO / SteamMMO core

I agree, I think a next gen Half-Life 3 could be amazing but these titles also sound fun. Especially Cries Unheard. I'd love a straight up horror game from Valve

Obligatory: http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/half-life-3-confirmed

That said, the timing could be ripe for Valve to finally come out of their hibernation and release some games. It would make sense if they've been perfecting their Source Engine 2 and Steam Box in order to cluster fuck us with awesomeness. A guy can dream

Vigormortis:

Microbe Wars
Cries Unheard
Stars of Blood
SteamMMO / SteamMMO core

I agree, I think a next gen Half-Life 3 could be amazing but these titles also sound fun. Especially Cries Unheard. I'd love a straight up horror game from Valve

Yes yes rumour is nice but CHRIST why can't we have the actual games? Please?

Gregg Johnson:

Doom-Slayer:

IanDavis:
-snip-

gigastar:

IanDavis:

Quoted for accuracy.

I don't get this. Do people take issue with Half-Life 2 for some reason?

No, i merely take issue with obvious typos that slip past the proofreading. And me and many others have done several such posts in the past.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here