Star Citizen Gets Luxurious with the 300i

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Star Citizen Gets Luxurious with the 300i

A fake TV spot and brochure detail the qualities of the space sim's top-tier spacecrafts.

After crowdsourcing $10 million dollars, Star Citizen is bringing space back to the masses. Robert Space Industries, helmed by Chris Roberts (of Wing Commander fame) has been hard at work on the ambitious new simulator. Similar to his classic Wing Commander: Privateer, Star Citizen will be a massive universe filled with combat, trading, and exploration. Owning a new virtual spaceship carries a certain thrill, something that Star Citizen is eager to exploit with its new, automotive-inspired ads.

The 300 series, lovingly crafted by the fictional "Origin Jumpworks" company, is displayed through a sensual tv spot and brochure. Featuring "beauty you can touch" and "looks that can kill", they are the "BMW 3 or 5 series", Roberts says. "It looks cool and it performs well, though it might be slightly over-priced for what you get."

Just because the 300i is flashy doesn't mean it's automatically better. As Roberts says, "there's no ship that's like a 90-level character that's always going to kill a 7-level character... There's always an element of skill. "

However, RSI isn't just designing slick looking ships, it's also making them fully functional. As lead vehicle artist Chris Smith says, "The way we make these is a lot more high fidelity compared to other games... It requires a different building technique." That difference comes from the fact that players aren't just locked into a HUD. They'll have to physically walk about the ship to access systems not at the cockpit. Each ship has a full interior, and is designed as if it existed in real life.

Star Citizen is currently looking at a late 2014 release on the PC.

Source: RSI via Polygon

whelp, now I do got to get abetter gaming PC.

now we just need more 4x games and even more space sims and I might stay a PC gamer.

Huh. This actually made me interested in this game. Now I've just gotta wait the year and change. :(

Kinda a fail ad in my opinion. Advertising for a spaceship yet only showing in atmosphere flight. Talking about speed while showing it going at what is no doubt it's slowest speeds. Also it looks an awful lot like an airplane, I do hope that the creators of this game understand that space combat is not air combat.

Kalezian:

now we just need more 4x games and even more space sims and I might stay a PC gamer.

For 4X gaming, Distant Worlds is my game of choice right now. It started out kind of bumpy, but has gotten progressively better with each of its three expansions, Return of the Shakturi, Legends, and Shadows. I highly recommend it.

OT: Yeah, I loved how the 300i reveal felt like a luxury car ad. It's my pledge ship too, so I glad the ship turned out so amazing.

They already took my money, and thanks to Wingmans Hangar it is a joy to see things happening! Have been waiting for this game since Freelancer...

I keep trying not to get hyped for a game that's going to be well over a year away but this one just keeps drawing me in.
Once this game is in my hands, I may never leave my home again.

PS. Mmm, dat thruster.

synobal:
Kinda a fail ad in my opinion. Advertising for a spaceship yet only showing in atmosphere flight. Talking about speed while showing it going at what is no doubt it's slowest speeds. Also it looks an awful lot like an airplane, I do hope that the creators of this game understand that space combat is not air combat.

You're missing the point. It's an in universe ad, and an in atmo presentation would sell the ship better because it doesn't matter how fast it is, but rather how fast it seems. Space is too empty, and everything visible is too large. The stirring music wouldn't work as well if the ship was just flying through the void instead of clouds, and that sudden acceleration at the end wouldn't have had the same effect if hadn't had something as small as a nearby planet to move against.

Think of it this way: How many car ads take place on looped race tracks, and how many take place on roads with interesting scenery?

synobal:

Speed in space is a misnomer. Delta-V is what you need to worry about.

parts of this game are intriguing. Other parts, not so much. I will add it to my radar, however.

Whelp, that's another $65 gone. Damn their smooth sales pitch!

Shinsei-J:

PS. Mmm, dat thruster.

That is one tasty looking Aircraft.

Sweet. Very much looking forward to this; this is my tier! :D

I'm dead-scared of Star Citizen because it's managed to rack up 10 million bucks selling people ships for a game that doesn't exist yet. At least right now, it is microtransaction haven, so my hope for this game is that people who donated themselves into death stars won't have a horribly unfair advantage, or at least that a user who has dished out no more money than is necessary to buy the game can still reach an overpaying user's potential.

I used to build ship meshes for another Roberts space game, Freelancer (basically the last one that got put out before the market basically died and EVE scooped up the remnants of that gamer demographic). This design is actually very derivative of two design languages from that game, both from the Borderworlds; it's sort of a kludge of the Eagle and the Saber.

And I love it. I want it. I needs it, yes I does, I needs the Precious-

*oh god, it's happening to me again*

sid:
I'm dead-scared of Star Citizen because it's managed to rack up 10 million bucks selling people ships for a game that doesn't exist yet. At least right now, it is microtransaction haven, so my hope for this game is that people who donated themselves into death stars won't have a horribly unfair advantage, or at least that a user who has dished out no more money than is necessary to buy the game can still reach an overpaying user's potential.

All the items available in the fundraising process can be bought for in game money. And once the game is released, in game money can be bought for real world money.

While 10 millions is a lot. If you divide it by the 191383 backers it comes out to less than 60$ each. Making it a more involved preorder.

Now some people have gone way overboard. And I hope they keep doing that, because the money gained through microtransactions will fund the development of more content.

IanDavis:
That difference comes from the fact that players aren't just locked into a HUD. They'll have to physically walk about the ship to access systems not at the cockpit. Each ship has a full interior, and is designed as if it existed in real life.

Okay, that right there is something I've been wanting ever since I first played Elite. However, it does worry me that this is going to be yet another Elite clone in the vein of the X series, with the fighter pilot story line being a borderline minigame. Elite clones have ruled for too danged long, I want a successor to Wing Commander.

Da Orky Man:

Speed in space is a misnomer. Delta-V is what you need to worry about.

Yea..., ya' know we just consider acceleration since Newton invented calculus. You got your x (distance) then d(x)/dt=v (speed) and finally d(v)/dt=a acceleration. Delta-v would be by definition delta(v)=v1-v2, if you don't divide that by a relevant time period you don't get much general information.

I am incredibly hyped for this game. If it delivers on even half what is promised it's gonna be spectacular. I love that they are doing ads for the ships as though they were real, so clever.

CAPTCHA: heart break
O_o

I find it hilarious that companies have been telling us for years, space sims, or strategy games don't sell, than kickstarter comes along and these games get like 10 mil. Now i know that these are niche markets but they are still viable market, stuff like the new x-com game prove that. Ha look at me looking for proper budgeting and foresight from game companies I must live in a fantasy world

Every time I think about this game (or at least, what it tells me it's going to be), I get shivers of excitement. Really looking forward to it's release :D

Also, I love the idea of producing high quality adverts for in-game equipment like this - not only does it advertise the game in an unusual way, but it can also be used to build in-game lore, character and setting. You could very easily establish important in-game characters through their spots in adverts, eg major corporation CEOs making personal appearances, or political party infomercials. Think how Cave Johnson became such an established character in Portal 2 through only audio logs, and how that informed the player's experience of huge parts of that game; commercials like this could be another way of establishing such characters :)

Maybe it's not important but the one thing that no one seems to be talking about is that this advert has been done in-engine. I honestly thought it was CGI when I first saw the video. I even said to myself while watching that someone has learned to do CGI well over at Cloud Imperium Games. If what we are seeing there is what we are going to get when the game is released then the immersion factor alone is gonna be worth the $140 I have already put into this game.

This is all i have ever wanted from a game. I am so happy.

Owyn_Merrilin:

I want a successor to Wing Commander.

You do realize this is being made by the same guy who...made wing commander yes?? From the videos they have on their main site I'm sure you will find what they're doing a worthy successor :)

Tyran107:

Owyn_Merrilin:

You do realize this is being made by the same guy who...made wing commander yes?? From the videos they have on their main site I'm sure you will find what they're doing a worthy successor :)

Yeah, but I'm hoping for Wing Commander 6, while worried it'll be Privateer 3 :P

I just want Freelancer II. Is it so much to ask for!? T_T

Kalezian:

Well, the vast majority of 4X games are on PC, many of them exclusive to PC. And the very few space sims that are around these days are also pretty much all on PC.

digital warrior:
I find it hilarious that companies have been telling us for years, space sims, or strategy games don't sell, than kickstarter comes along and these games get like 10 mil. Now i know that these are niche markets but they are still viable market, stuff like the new x-com game prove that. Ha look at me looking for proper budgeting and foresight from game companies I must live in a fantasy world

I think what they mean is space sims like this don't sell to the "dudebro" crowd, therefore a space sim can't become the next Call of Doody and make all the executives rich. Therefore, most AAA studios aren't interested in making them. But fans of the genre have been hopefully awaiting something like this since X-Wing vs TIE Fighter (or since I-War 1 and 2, for those who have heard of them) and now that someone is finally making the game we have all been waiting for we cannot throw money at it fast enough.

Edit: Oh, and the X series does not really count because it's rather dull and kinda crap.

Owyn_Merrilin:

Tyran107:

Owyn_Merrilin:

Yeah, but I'm hoping for Wing Commander 6, while worried it'll be Privateer 3 :P

It's actually kind of both, based on what I've seen. The game is divided into 2 parts "Squadron 42" which will be very much a Wing Commander-style single player campaign, and "Star Citizen" which is more MMO/Sandbox Freelancer. They also claim there will be more SP expansions/DLC as the game matures (which is why they're making these promotional pushes to finance an in-house mocap studio)

I personally only decided to back the game when I heard about Squadron 42, as I have similar reservations as you.

infohippie:

Kalezian:

Well, the vast majority of 4X games are on PC, many of them exclusive to PC. And the very few space sims that are around these days are also pretty much all on PC.

rephrase:

We need more 4x and Space sims that what are currently available.

also, adding to getting a better gaming PC, I need to get a better joystick, turns out the one I got back in 2002 actually died without me knowing.

God I hope they do one of these for the Constellation which is the ship RSI is giving me...

Desert Punk:
God I hope they do one of these for the Constellation which is the ship RSI is giving me...

Isn't that the $250 pledge ship?

I myself pledged for the 300i shown in the video.

Desert Punk:

To be fair, they do have that gorgeous brochure for the Constellation. Incidentally, that is the ship I have already bought myself. I love how the interior of these ships is fully laid out. Most of them have room to get out of the seat and walk around inside a little but I have to feel sorry for whoever is going to be flying a Hornet - there's no interior space other than the cockpit in those, so the pilot's going to have to either wear a nappy or put up with a catheter.

This tempts me to also buy a 300i just as a little personal runabout for when I don't want to drag out the great big Constellation.

Ed130:

Desert Punk:

Isn't that the $250 pledge ship?

I myself pledged for the 300i shown in the video.

Dunno what level it is in at, I just know I am getting one for 500.

edit: Did find this though, which is pretty sexy

infohippie:

Desert Punk:

To be fair, they do have that gorgeous brochure for the Constellation. Incidentally, that is the ship I have already bought myself. I love how the interior of these ships is fully laid out. Most of them have room to get out of the seat and walk around inside a little but I have to feel sorry for whoever is going to be flying a Hornet - there's no interior space other than the cockpit in those, so the pilot's going to have to either wear a nappy or put up with a catheter.

This tempts me to also buy a 300i just as a little personal runabout for when I don't want to drag out the great big Constellation.

I did the pledge level for the Hornet myself, and just put down money for the 300I add-on for just that reason.

synobal:

I'd say that was an appropriate advert. It's supposed to be "in universe" so to speak, just look at modern car adverts, even the fastest speed cars ain't allowed to properly advertise it because they're not supposed (or allowed) to promote speeding. It's not presented to us as gamers in a fourth wall aimed way, it's aimed at customers in a fictional universe. I'm pretty sure Chris Roberts knows what he's doing for space combat, he's pretty much the go to guy when it comes to the classics in the genre.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here