Project Spark Game Maker Hits Beta

Project Spark Game Maker Hits Beta

Sign-ups are open now.

Project Spark, the intriguing game-maker first revealed at E3, is entering its beta phase for PC, and interested parties are being asked to sign up via the game's site. So long as you have access to a Windows 8 machine, you too can mould a game of your very own however you choose.

"There are an infinite number of ways to play, build and share," Microsoft's Dave McCarthy said at the E3 reveal. "Think blank canvases, or story creation, or taking someone else's creation and building out your own." You get to set each creature's AI, plan out the world, and even plant each individual tree and bush should you be so inclined. Though the UI boasts millions of options, player usability has been a development team focus from day one; those in the beta will get to find out just how successful that design strategy has been.

If you're interested in finding out more, check out Spark's Facebook, or sign up for the beta over here.

Source: PC Gamer

Project Spark, the intriguing game-maker first revealed at E3, is entering its beta phase for PC, and interested parties are being asked to sign up via the game's site.

Wait, this isn't an Xbone exclusive!? Awesome!

So long as you have access to a Windows 8 machine

And suddenly all my excitement has been replaced by rage and disappointment.

kael013:

Project Spark, the intriguing game-maker first revealed at E3, is entering its beta phase for PC, and interested parties are being asked to sign up via the game's site.

Wait, this isn't an Xbone exclusive!? Awesome!

So long as you have access to a Windows 8 machine

And suddenly all my excitement has been replaced by rage and disappointment.

Eh. Windows 8 is better than Windows 7. You can mod out the shitty UI, you know?

Also, Yay! Another game I can buy that won't force me to pay for a shitty Xbox One!

Capitano Segnaposto:
Eh. Windows 8 is better than Windows 7. You can mod out the shitty UI, you know?

Also, Yay! Another game I can buy that won't force me to pay for a shitty Xbox One!

In what way is it better than Windows 7? I mean apart from access to a small number of apps, only one of which I'm a bit interested in.

Also, why the hell would I buy a new OS which I'd have to mod to work as well as my current one? :)

I really liked everything about this game and I would buy it.

However the fact that it has mandatory SmartGlass built into it means it will never be within my reach, as it limits it to Win8 and XBOne which I will also never own.

You cannot even patch it to work with Win7 just because Win7 has no SmartGlass compatibility.

And I don't think I am the only one who feels this way. I think this games user base will suffer severely because of this and it will never be the hit it deserves to be.

Hopefully one of Sony's indie supported team or someone else will completely rip-off this game and bring out a non-SmartGlass copy to PS4 or other PC OS's.

Alfador_VII:

Capitano Segnaposto:

In what way is it better than Windows 7? I mean apart from access to a small number of apps, only one of which I'm a bit interested in.

Also, why the hell would I buy a new OS which I'd have to mod to work as well as my current one? :)

Performance wise. It is Faster and uses less CPU. At least for me when I run multiple OS at the same time (CONS major), while having a game on a separate monitor, it works the best. It is better than Windows 7, but few people will actually see the improvements as they don't do stupid stuff like I generally tend to do.

Capitano Segnaposto:

Performance wise. It is Faster and uses less CPU. At least for me when I run multiple OS at the same time (CONS major), while having a game on a separate monitor, it works the best. It is better than Windows 7, but few people will actually see the improvements as they don't do stupid stuff like I generally tend to do.

Eh, fair enough. I run my CPU pretty hard so I may reconsider upgrading when I buy a better gaming desktop (rocking a laptop now and I'd heard nothing but negatives about 8). Most of the rage and disappointment I had felt at the shock of hearing this was for Windows 8 was because that meant it was out of my immediate reach (like I said, I'd heard nothing but negatives for both OS and Xbone), not because it was on a platform/OS I despised.

kael013:

Capitano Segnaposto:

Eh, fair enough. I run my CPU pretty hard so I may reconsider upgrading when I buy a better gaming desktop (rocking a laptop now and I'd heard nothing but negatives about 8). Most of the rage and disappointment I had felt at the shock of hearing this was for Windows 8 was because that meant it was out of my immediate reach (like I said, I'd heard nothing but negatives for both OS and Xbone), not because it was on a platform/OS I despised.

Still bothered by the ever-slowly-closing platform, like a giant stone door in an Indiana Jones movie

Win 8 exclusive... they might just be taking a shotgun to their community with that asinine idea.
It really does look like an amazing piece of editor tech (no it is not a game by itself), but if they intend to run this lockdown bullshit then the editor is useless.

When modding and a OS crack is confirmed then I'll be interested.

As interesting as Project Spark is, I'm not installing a tablet OS on my PC for it.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here