Ouya CEO "Pissed" As Delays Continue

Ouya CEO "Pissed" As Delays Continue

ouya console package

The Ouya console hit retailers today but the company is still struggling to get units into the hands of its backers.

Today's the big day for Ouya, the Android-powered game console that made a huge splash on Kickstarter, as it's finally available at retail for those who didn't back it. Assuming you can find it, that is; Amazon and Target both list it as currently unavailable. But the real sticking point is that even though the console is now available to the public, many backers - that is, people who gave the Ouya folks money a year ago to support its development - still haven't received their machines.

"I am pissed. Some of you have not yet received your OUYA - and, to you, I apologize. I did not promise to ship to *most* of you before we hit store shelves. I promised to ship to *all* of you. I've been reading your comments, and we are working to solve this," Ouya CEO Julie Uhrman wrote to backers today.

The problem apparently stems from issues with shipping company DHL. Uhrman said the Ouya consoles have been in DHL's hands since May, yet many shipments still haven't gone out. In the same update, Operations Chief Ken Stephens explained that DHL's tracking system doesn't follow products until they arrive in local depots, which can lead to long, frustrating periods of silence, and that sometimes they just get delivered "without the product ever getting an arrival scan." Stephens said that all units coming out of Hong Kong have been shipped, and that they should arrive 15 to 17 days after the shipping confirmation date contained in the tracking emails.

"We are working with our partners to resolve any administrative issues related to undelivered boxes (errors in shipping addresses, customs holds, etc.). I'm told that despite our best efforts, it may take another two weeks or more for some of these units to arrive," Uhrman wrote. "We will resolve this as quickly as possible. I've had my team working all evening to provide me with the current state of affairs and what we are doing to make it right."

It's unquestionably a mess, and Uhrman said Ouya has tripled its customer service to help keep up with inquiries. Even so, the response on the Ouya Facebook page hasn't been entirely forgiving, as many users question why they supported the console in exchange for early access, only to see it reach retail first. It may not be Ouya's fault, but it's definitely taking a toll on the good will of its customers.

Source: Mind of the Geek

Doesn't matter, really since apparently the Kickstarter versions are already landing in second hand shops.

Wait, is that 'pissed' angry or 'pissed' drunk?

DON'T DISRESPECT MY CULTURE!

Ahhhh DHL, the company whos name stands for Deliveries Handled Late. Honestly I feel peoples pain, this courier has heralded nothing but annoyance for me in the past.

The problem lies in shipping the product via DHL

They should call Jiffy Express.

I feel sorry for them really. They are trying to provide something new, and unlike most console developers they actually seem passionate about their product, yet they are facing all of these issues. You'd think people would be a bit more understanding, but for some reason despite the constant bitching about the games industry, people seem eager to rip into those who try something new.

OUYA's is coming out already?! They need to fix their buttfucked controller before they release it to the public! >.<

Ahhh DHL.... How I hate thee soo. Yeah I do not blame the manufacturer for this at all. The problem with international shipping anymore is that you can start with one delivery company and it gets handed off to another part of the way through. I have received electronics from Hong Kong that started with the postal service in Hong Kong and was supposed to go to UPS but instead was resent to DHL.... Got my box almost a month later with no info on the tracking..... Just showed up at my house. They updated the tracking a WEEK later to say delivered.

Yes, and just before that they posted that update they posted another update that was nothing but a huge pat on their back, saying "WE'RE AWESOME. Oh those consoles we guaranteed you were going to get before retail launch? Yeah, it's not our fault for completely ignoring our backer's advice and using the shittiest shipping service available."

I tried to stay hopeful for this project. I understand, delays happen. Look at GameStick, they've pushed back their ETA to August when they originally said April. But as time has gone on I've seen that unlike projects like GameStick which have continued to remain transparent and honest with their mistakes and continued work, the people behind Ouya have continued to keep up a smoke and mirrors act to hide their missteps and ignore the concerns of their backers.

Ouya has flat out lied about their project. They clearly stated we would get our consoles before launch day. When they failed to meet these expectations, whether it was due to incompetence or poor prioritization towards retailers, instead of owning up to the issue and apologizing, they dodged all the blame and shifted it onto their shipping service. They even have the gall to claim to have had a campaign that "...was unprecedented in its transparency." Bullshit. You want to see a transparent campaign, look at Federal 52, or Double Fine's Adventure. They've even flat out stated that they "...might not be using this Kickstarter list often anymore" which is a PR spin way of saying "Thanks for the money chumps! We don't give a single shit about you anymore!"

I have never had such a shitty experience on Kickstarter. They don't deserve any pity, respect, or support.

Chatboy 91:
Yes, and just before that they posted that update they posted another update that was nothing but a huge pat on their back, saying "WE'RE AWESOME. Oh those consoles we guaranteed you were going to get before retail launch? Yeah, it's not our fault for completely ignoring our backer's advice and using the shittiest shipping service available."

I tried to stay hopeful for this project. I understand, delays happen. Look at GameStick, they've pushed back their ETA to August when they originally said April. But as time has gone on I've seen that unlike projects like GameStick which have continued to remain transparent and honest with their mistakes and continued work, the people behind Ouya have continued to keep up a smoke and mirrors act to hide their missteps and ignore the concerns of their backers.

Ouya has flat out lied about their project. They clearly stated we would get our consoles before launch day. When they failed to meet these expectations, whether it was due to incompetence or poor prioritization towards retailers, instead of owning up to the issue and apologizing, they dodged all the blame and shifted it onto their shipping service. They even have the gall to claim to have had a campaign that "...was unprecedented in its transparency." Bullshit. You want to see a transparent campaign, look at Federal 52, or Double Fine's Adventure. They've even flat out stated that they "...might not be using this Kickstarter list often anymore" which is a PR spin way of saying "Thanks for the money chumps! We don't give a single shit about you anymore!"

I have never had such a shitty experience on Kickstarter. They don't deserve any pity, respect, or support.

You guys have no one to blame but yourselves. You got all hyped up on a developer/producer who promised things would be different, but lacked any respectable experience in the console market (or gaming in general). Anyone with any experience in investing would have warned you to run far, FAR away from this plan. Ouya is going to fail, it's going to fail hard, and I will be mischievously grinning atop my PS4 as the world burns around me.

Mimsofthedawg:

Chatboy 91:
snip

You guys have no one to blame but yourselves. You got all hyped up on a developer/producer who promised things would be different, but lacked any respectable experience in the console market (or gaming in general). Anyone with any experience in investing would have warned you to run far, FAR away from this plan. Ouya is going to fail, it's going to fail hard, and I will be mischievously grinning atop my PS4 as the world burns around me.

Yes, we certainly are partially to blame. Such is the way with Kickstarter. Doesn't change the fact that this needs to get fixed, one way or another.

Using DHL was a big gaff. I worked with international small parcel shipping for years, and DHL fecking sucks. FedEx would have been better and UPS better still. Purolator was always good, but I can't remember if they did international, I think they might have been just Canadian.

Just when I thought there was no shipping company WORSE than FedEx who will either leave the doors of their trucks open and dump entire pallets of packages onto the highway or just outright steal shipments from processing centers we get this.

I've always been curious as to what people saw in this console in the first place. IOS and Android are rife with crap games that are poorly designed for even phone use, let alone a console and a big screen. That's not to say some of the software isn't a good idea, but any of that software would run as well or far better on an actual computer (console emulation, for example).

I guess my question would be to those who backed it: What value do you see in a cheap, low-end emulator? This isn't to bash the backers or even the OUYA itself, I am just genuinely curious as to what the appeal is/was.

But, if they gave the consoles to the shipping company back in May, how is this their fault?

Legion:
I feel sorry for them really. They are trying to provide something new, and unlike most console developers they actually seem passionate about their product, yet they are facing all of these issues. You'd think people would be a bit more understanding, but for some reason despite the constant bitching about the games industry, people seem eager to rip into those who try something new.

Android quality games on a console.

so, essentially, you could play them on your smart phone, but screw it, lets make a console so you can play them on the T.V.

I'm not bitching about a new console, far from it, variety is the spice of life. I'm bitching that people actually paid for a console that can only play Android like games.

I mean, really.

OT: some people got their Ouya on-time-ish.

just..... just watch this unboxing and taste the excitement.

nothing but the PUREST OF HYPE FOR A ANDROID CONSOLE, LOOK AT ALL THE TOWER DEFENSE GAMES YOU CAN PLAY!

Can I just say that DHL is one of the worst shipping companies.
I have never not had a problem with them.

They forget to leave slips at doors.
They deliver to wrong addresses.
And their depot in my town is open from 8am to 8:30am
A whole half hour window to make it to the edge of town, to an unmarked building, find the big unmarked door and hope that someone is actually in during their "work hours".

Anyhoo, it's not like I am sitting by the door waiting for the Ouya to get here. I supported the console because of the ideas behind it, and not for its insignificant (to me) game library. Like buying a WiiU, but with platitudes instead of fan service.

So... Ouya is out? Does it have any... ya know, good games? That are not more suited to my tablet? I still don't understand what the point of this thing is.

Kalezian:

OT: some people got their Ouya on-time-ish.

just..... just watch this unboxing and taste the excitement.

nothing but the PUREST OF HYPE FOR A ANDROID CONSOLE, LOOK AT ALL THE TOWER DEFENSE GAMES YOU CAN PLAY!

I just finished watching the entirety of Season 3 of game of thrones, and this is still the most depressing thing I've seen today.

major_chaos:
So... Ouya is out? Does it have any... ya know, good games? That I are not more suited to my tablet? I still don't understand what the point of this thing is.

TowerFall is looking pretty damn good, I must say.

Am I the only one that still feels like the little thing has some potential?

Yes, it isn't powerful, and is in fact about as powerful as a smart phone. So why not play all the games on it on a smart phone? Well, it's all about preference. I'm certain most of us that maybe enjoy older games, like SNES or PS1 or the like have probably done some emulation or buying of older games on online stores. Now, most of us probably prefer playing it on something like a console or even on our computers. Hell, I bet the idea of trying to do some old school gaming on a smart phone honestly sounds appalling; it certainly does for me. It just feels wrong playing games meant for consoles on something like that. In terms of emulation, there probably isn't much of a better place to go than to this little guy, and it's relatively cheap, cheaper than some smart phones and it's OS is dedicated to the gaming rather than to all the other apps on the phone also. So if you want to play those smart phone or tablet games cheaper, this is pretty cool place to do so.

Now, if the machine can run older games and tablet games and such, what's to stop a game designer from making a game on it that is more designed for longer periods of play? Maybe one with story at its center, or maybe it has some interesting gameplay. The only thing this console needs is people developing games for it that are not marketed to smart phone users or tablet users, but to gamers. It needs games designed to be played for hours on end. It needs games that are not just there to kill time, but to engross the player, make them want to keep playing and not put it down, not just the little addictive games you play on a public transit. They could back in the old days when this technology was the most recent for consoles, why can't people do it now with the same technology? What the console needs is games meant for people who want to play games, not just kill time. That's what this console needs, and then it will survive, even if only for a niche audience.

major_chaos:
So... Ouya is out? Does it have any... ya know, good games? That are not more suited to my tablet? I still don't understand what the point of this thing is.

The good: Nice, inexpensive console you could just leave plugged into a TV with a very decent controller. I have an ASUS Transformer Prime that I upgraded to Jelly Bean and now, doesn't work with my Logitech controller. Honestly, it used to work (I'll root it ASAP).

The Bad: What was fun was, for my phone and tablet, I incidentally had some games thru googleplay that I would love to play on the TV through this thing. Sadly, so far, my existing games cannot be added to the thing.

Damn them.

Sooo, am I the only person excited to have picked up an Ouya today?

Well I'm certainly glad I took a "wait and see" approach instead of throwing a few Kneejerk Dollars at the Kickstarter. I suppose that's the price of hype these days.

Well I'm certainly glad I took a "wait and see" approach instead of throwing a few Kneejerk Dollars at the Kickstarter. I suppose that's the price of hype these days.

I still hope to pick one up eventually. Sounds like it's a retread of the Wii U so far, which means that only time will tell if it gets any good games.

Oh, and yeah, I know I can play Android games on my phone. That's not what the Ouya is for.

the antithesis:
Doesn't matter, really since apparently the Kickstarter versions are already landing in second hand shops.

Aw, you ninja'd me :p

I like how he keeps reminding viewers that it's an early prerelease model, trying to drive that into their skulls...But you know a huge chunk of viewers will continue to think that all of it's issues will still be present on the official release.

I like to think of the people who buys consoles durring the first year of release as Gamma Testers; the people who help report all the worst kinks so that the console works perfectly when people like me buy it a year or 3 latter. I hope that by then they replace those hard plastic buttons with nice soft rubber ones.

Legion:

I'll be buying one today, I like the idea of the Ouya and at $100 it's nothing anyway. It's rather ridiculous how much people are bitching over what is essentially the perfect console for indies and other smaller non corporate titles, which many people claim to want to see succeed.

So they promised that backers would have them before they were available through retail, and then left just a couple of weeks between starting to ship them out and releasing them through retail? Yeah, there's no way anyone could possibly have predicted that could go wrong.

The Ouya is what it is; a low cost sudo-prototype android device made by a small, crowdfunded company. What were people really expecting from this? Issues and delays were always going to happen it's just more unfortunate that the mess is out of their hands.

In my view the Ouya has delivered what it promised. The problem is people wanted MORE than it could provide.

and remember people where loosing the minds and yelling that Ouya is THE NEXT BIG THING, ah innocent days.

I backed the Ouya. I got mine about a week ago, and I like it. Between Towerfall, Hidden in Plain Sight, and BombSquad, I have a portable console I can play light and fun games with my friends. That's what I was looking for, that's all I wanted. I never thought it was going to be a true "big console" where everyone gets hyped for Call of Duty. Playing an 8 person round of BombSquad was/is the most fun I've had on a console.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here