Half-Life 3 Is Not Coming Today, Says Valve

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

00slash00:
Okay lets break this down. The NPCs were speaking Korean. There are 5 letters in the word Korea. This took place in Half-Life 2. 5 minus 2 equals 3. BOOM! We have confirmation of Half-Life 3. Let's go even further. We currently have Half-Life 2, plus episode 1 and 2. Lets put all those numbers together. Two plus one plus two equals five...like the number of letters in the word Korea. Whaaaat! The evidence is getting out of control here, Valve could not be anymore obvious about the impending release of Half-Life 3

Hmm, let me check that against my calculations:
- The icon of Half-Life is a Greek lambda in a circle.
- A circle is 360 degrees in total.
- Xbox 360 has 360 in the name
- The next Xbox is called Xbox One
- Half-Life 2 + Episode 1 + Episode 2 + Korea = 10, now add in Xbox One and you get 11
- Lambda is the 11th character in the Greek alphabet.
Q.E.D.

Yes, it seems you are correct - it is indeed a hint.

DoPo:

00slash00:
Okay lets break this down. The NPCs were speaking Korean. There are 5 letters in the word Korea. This took place in Half-Life 2. 5 minus 2 equals 3. BOOM! We have confirmation of Half-Life 3. Let's go even further. We currently have Half-Life 2, plus episode 1 and 2. Lets put all those numbers together. Two plus one plus two equals five...like the number of letters in the word Korea. Whaaaat! The evidence is getting out of control here, Valve could not be anymore obvious about the impending release of Half-Life 3

Hmm, let me check that against my calculations:
- The icon of Half-Life is a Greek lambda in a circle.
- A circle is 360 degrees in total.
- Xbox 360 has 360 in the name
- The next Xbox is called Xbox One
- Half-Life 2 + Episode 1 + Episode 2 + Korea = 10, now add in Xbox One and you get 11
- Lambda is the 11th character in the Greek alphabet.
Q.E.D.

Yes, it seems you are correct - it is indeed a hint.

But seriously now.
I wonder what will happen if Valve actually hints at HL3. People will dismiss it and Valve will do their ARG alone.

I'm so sick and tired of this. I'm not even interested any more in this game. Whatever they release will not live up to the hype, in my opinion.

Yes yes, go on with the blather of how their games are always pieces of art and whatnot .... but there's no way that HL3 would be worth the wait. We'll have Duke Nukem Forever syndrome again.

Seeing as how Valve can't do much anymore beyond hats, trading cards, and cross-marketing gimmicks, I'm not surprised HL3 hasn't come out yet.

I'm finding harder and harder to care about Half-Lie 3 as time goes on. Valve aren't helping things by being a bunch of massive cock teases.

Cliff_m85:
I'm so sick and tired of this. I'm not even interested any more in this game. Whatever they release will not live up to the hype, in my opinion.

Yes yes, go on with the blather of how their games are always pieces of art and whatnot .... but there's no way that HL3 would be worth the wait. We'll have Duke Nukem Forever syndrome again.

Well, not necessarily.
Half-Life, which was considered the best PC action game ever, was released in 1998. Half-Life 2 was released in 2004. And had to live up to HL1 after 6 years.
Episode 2 was released in 2007. Now it's 2013. Again, 6 years later. The wait for HL3 is nowhere near as long as the wait for DNF. While I do agree with anybody who says that it'll be damn hard for them to live up to the hype, I disagree with people who say it's not possible.

The DNF situation is entirely different, since it's not a great game that just couldn't have possibly lived up to the hype, but a shit game in general. Even by standards of games with one year development time, let alone 13.

You had me at: "Half-Life 3 Is Not Coming".

Valve has been getting a free ride from gaming websites for years. Every time some dude is seen with a T-Shirt, every time some artwork picture is "leaked", the sites are all over it like tabloids over a dodgy UFO picture.

Seriously, guys, let it go. It's starting to look weird.

Well it is not coming today but that doesn't neccesarily rule out the yesterday...right?

I feel kind of bad for Valve now. Whatever they do, people think it is an indirect confirmation and get pissed at them when it turns out to be bogus. Though they kinda brought this with their ARG's or whatever.

Half Life 3 is NEVER coming. Sorry, but at this point its the Duke Nukem Forever of the 2000s. I honestly think Gabe was meaning to do it at some point, but kept putting it off until he could either A. think up a good enough story, or B. Had a new engine. But time got away from him...I imagine he wanted to start development back in what, '09 or '10. And now its '13 and he had a Word Document open and it says:
Half Life 3 ideas:

Nothing. At this point I don't even care if they make it or not. I barely remember the games, barely remember the characters or why I should even care. You guys keep at it, thought! I'm going to going to get a sandwich and go sit outside. Cia!

Silentpony:
snip

See this is why I don't get. I can understand not caring anymore but why would you taunt people who do like that. Did you also scold people who were waiting for Kingdom Hearts 3 all these years? Did you make fun of the fans who were anticipating Battlefront 3? Or those who hope to play Last Guardian someday? No???? Then why act so mean towards Half Life fans and mock their anticipation. You don't care? Good. Don't let the door hit you on your way out.

captcha: three short words

STOP MOCKING ME!!!!!!!!

bafrali:

Silentpony:
snip

STOP MOCKING ME!!!!!!!!

Its not mockery to say the train isn't coming. It's not mockery for me to point out your prom date said "hold my purse" and went off to dance with a jock. Its not mockery to say stop waiting for the Mass Effect movie! Its not mockery to say stop waving your hand at that glass of water, you will never have force powers. Its not mockery to say they'll never re-release FF7 with updated graphics. Its not mockery for me to point out geese don't lay golden eggs so stop staring at its ass!

When did it become insulting to point out uncomfortable truths? This blind hope is exactly WHY long-awaited games fail. Most people get on with their lives and do other things. As expected. But some of us insist on bringing up old, stale IPs and wondering "Hey, where this at?!" Forcing publishers to release cryptic phrases like "Not this year" and BOOM! Half Life 3 to come out NEXT year. Building up hype, declaring it the long-awaited messiah of games. Oh please great Freeman! Come save us from the dull, waiting lives we have enforced on ourselves! And when is does get out, oh no, its not the epic-amazing-life-changing-transcendental-dog-that-remains-a-puppy-forever-free money-and-steak-cure-disease-and-end-world-hunger game YOU told everyone it was.

What's going to happen if Half Life 3 comes out? Will it live up to the hype? Could it possibly? How can it? And what if it ends on another cliff hanger? What then? Oh that was great, when's Half Life 4?

Stop waiting for games and go play some.

On a related note, check this out: http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/06/26/unforseen-consequences-when-a-joke-about-half-life-3-gets-out-of-hand/. That's some depressing shit right there.

For me, HL3 or Episode Three is one of the saddest stories to ever exist in the history of gaming. At first, they announced the whole episodic gaming, and with it, three instalments for the new series. Everything fine, every episode ships perfectly, until the release date of the third one, which is for the end of the year. People are impressed, perplexed, as the ending of the saga does not come out when expected. Time passes, and slowly Valve starts talking less and less about Half Life. The fans at first get angry and start signing petitions and expecting answers, but then they start losing hope. We have reached a moment when the fans, so dreamless, do not even consider that a reality, or they have entered in a state where they look every single bite it is altered in a Valve game update to look for evidence. But that is not the saddest part in my opinion, what I think that is really depressing is that HL3 will never actually come out, or when it comes out it will not meet the expectations of most people, just like Duke Nukem Forever, because, no matter what, it is almost impossible to make a game that will satisfy 9 years of hype...

Owyn_Merrilin:

Ed130:
It still begs the question of why they are updating a 9 year old game.

Not that I'm complaining mind you, I just wonder why they did.

Every time Valve updates anything to do with the engine on any game running on the Source Engine, they'll pass those updates on to other games running on the same branch of it, if not to every branch of it. They even updated the original Half Life not too long ago, since they had just ported it to Linux and they made some changes in the process. Changes which removed more features than they added, but changes nonetheless.

No, it's because they are double bluffing us and starting a HL3 ARG. None of your reasoned, plausible explanations can change that fact. So there.

Silentpony:
snip

Coming to a theather near you. An Inconvenient Truth 2: Asspull of the Century.

This cycle has repeated itself many times than you can imegine. If you have forgotten, let me refresh your memory:

"Valve could never make a worthy sequel to Half Life after six years..."

"It has been 9 years now. TF2 is certainly waporvore..."

"How can you follow up on such a beloved title as Portal..."

Get ready to be proven wrong by the repeating nature of the history.

Oh and I have plenty of titles to choose and play from and been doing so for quite some time now. Unlike you I use my spare time to talk about games that I actually care about.

bafrali:

Silentpony:
snip

Coming to a theather near you. An Inconvenient Truth 2: Asspull of the Century.

This cycle has repeated itself many times than you can imegine. If you have forgotten, let me refresh your memory

Valve could never make a worthy sequel to Half Life after six years...

It has been 9 years now. TF2 is certainly waporvore...

How can you follow up on such a beloved title as Portal...

Get ready to be proven wrong by the repeating nature of the history.

Oh and I have plenty of titles to choose and play from. Unlike you I use my spare time to talk about games that I actually care about.

Good for you Gordon. Glad to see you're still staying active. Oh, Gordon have you met my friend Duke? Duke, this is Gordon. He too wants to be great again. Maybe you can give him some tips?

Ok internet, i realise this is going to be like tearing off a limb but...let it go. It's been too long without so much as a confirmation, you need to let Half Life go.

I know it ended on a cliff-hanger and you want answers, but Valve aren't going to give you any. They've moved on, and i think it's time you did too. It's sad, don't get me wrong, but they aren't making it and the sooner you all let go of half life 3 the sooner you can move on with your lives.

bafrali:

Silentpony:
snip

Please do grow up. You are emberassing yourself.

I would but Gabe promised we'd go on one more adventure and I've been waiting SO long.
You don't think he forgot about me, do you? He told me to wait right here and promised he'd be right back. every now and then I think I hear him calling my name, but I can't be sure. But I'm sorry, until he comes back I just can't move on.

(See what we did there? We reversed our positions! I was the one dog-facedly refusing to change and you were the one saying move on! We are a good pair!)

Will laugh when Half life 3 really does come out and no one cares anymore. If there is one thing I hate more than a bad ending, it would have to be no ending at all....

Well, here's your answer. That same account tweeted this 2 hours ago:

PSA: HL2 and EP1/EP2/Lost Coast are being converted to SteamPipe today. This isn't an ARG, just STEAMPIPE

I will still put money on HL3 having already been released, and merely hidden until someone finds it.

Considering how desperate some people are getting for finding cluse towards Half-Life 3, I expect Valve to simply wait for an E3, or just have some thing on Steam or something where they are all "Hey, here's Half-Life 3." No ARG beforehand, no hints, nothing. Just one day they will announce it. Of course, it's been such a long time since they made a Half-Life game, and they've made a bunch of games inbetween...I almost don't expect them to make it. It'll urn out like Duke Nukem Forever, in which, unless Half-Life 3 finds a way to be truly revolutionary in graphics/gameplay/something, people will be extremely disappointed by it.

Or they'll praise it for being the best game ever when it comes out and isn't really that good.

I really wish that Valve would outright deny/confirm the existence of Half-Life 3. Their coy attitude is really pissing off everybody and giving unreasonable significance to silly jokes.

I love Valve but at this point Valve is like a really smoking hot chick that would not put out any pussy..

"Half-Life 3 is not coming out today." Today is June 26th, the Korean War began on June 25th, 1950. 2013-1950 = 63 (plus one day this is important). Now there were "6" years in between Half-Life 1 and 2 which in turn had "3" episodes (if we include the first game). Since Episode 2 came out in 2007, we can now expect that Half-Life "3" will come out "6" years later, 2013, add in the remaining day, and we can confirm that Half-Life 3 will be released October 11, 2013. You're welcome, internet.

Half-Life 3 will come out when it's good and well ready. And I'm sure it will be great. They're clearly not just planning on shoving any old crap out the door.

Ironically one of the most prominent companies would need to spend almost nothing on marketing for the game, since all they'd have to do is patch the old game in such a way as the Portal patch, and the world will do their marketing for them. Though, it's not like they need to at this point, since everyone is still playing the other Half-Life games on such a regular basis that they notice incidental patches.

Lono Shrugged:
"Gabe Newell recently farted in a interview with Forbes,

Experts have analysed the chemical content of the aroma and notice it contained trace amounts of Lithium and Hafnium which certain internet users have discovered are presented as 'HF' and 'Li' on the periodic table. Could this be Gabe leaking information? This picture below of Gabe's so called "Unintentional" shart shows what could be the distinctive lambda symbol that Half Life fans know and love etched into Gabe's boxers.

Experts are also analysing the frequency of the three squeaks in Adobe Audition to see if there are hints about HL3 in the waveform.

Simply coincidence? or an elaborate and pointless ARG by Valve to tease the release of a game they wish everyone will shut the fuck up over. Keep clicking every time you see us mention the next Half Life game and maybe you will find out."

Is it weird that in that fairly humorous exaggeration, I was more worried about why Hafnium was getting into Newell's system?

I'll just leave this here.

People are silly.

Maybe I'll love the game that much and become that delusional once I get the will to beat the bloody thing.

I feel like Half Life 3 has become one of those running jokes that is kinda funny at first, then gets kinda old, then gets REALLY old, then makes everyone wanna bash the joke's brains in with a shovel, then suddenly becomes hilarious.

This has been going on for so long that I've used up all my frustration and nerd rage and can now only giggle like madman.

So can anyone explain to me why Valve felt I needed a 3.2 GB update to a 9 year old game that's barely over 4 GB to begin with? What did they do, replace EVERY texture in the game? /confused

Silentpony:
*snip*

Reading your posts, you have fallen back on Duke Nukem Forever a lot. Or other games you've fallen back on to say "Oh, it's been a long development! It must suck!

Just because it's been long, doesn't mean it's development hell.

Daikatana: Development hell. Engine changes, artwork changes, team changes. No structure, no main goal. It was a mess.
Duke Nukem Forever: Development hell. Engine changes, artwork changes, team changes, studio changes, publisher changes, EVERYTHING about the game was made, torn out, redone, thrown away, put back in. Some of it was kept from the very start, some was very new. It was a huge example of development hell.

If a game has been in development hell, there is a good chance it *might* come out like crap. There is a small chance it might come out good still.

However there is still the chance that one of three things has happened with HL3:
1) The game wasn't touched at all for years after HL2 because there was no reason to make HL3 (since HL2 came out with a major new engine. They were likely saving HL3 for the next major new engine/innovation)
2) They've been working on the new engine/new game for the past few years, however that whole time has been with a single goal and single direction. Sure tweeks would happen "do we want to go in this direction or that direction?" but over all the goal is still "Make a FPS where Gordon Freeman does stuff and we show off our latest engine and what it can do." They've been keeping everything as secret as possible to make sure that when they do reveal it, nobody else has done anything like what they've been able to do.
3) They set out to show off everything the new engine can do, they do manage to show things off and yes it is pretty kool I guess... but it isn't as mind blowing as everyone expects it to be. What they thought was going to be so totally innovative in the past 8 years, someone else did something similar and people claim it's just derivative work or something or other. Either way, option 3: The game is alright, but over all it's a let down.

You're thinking it'll be 3 (well, you're making it sound like it'll be 4: "Unmitigated failure" but I doubt that. They aren't going to release it unless it is very highly polished)
But I think it'll be number 2.

Getting to be like the wait for TF2, except this time they're not showing the stuff they're abandoning along the way.

Brent Andrews:
I love Valve but at this point Valve is like a really smoking hot chick that would not put out any pussy..

That is the most horrible analogy I have ever heard.

OT: Given that I enjoyed the first two Half Life games, I think I'm invested enough to say I still think it's funny that Valve trolls the shit out of it's fanbase. Intolerably cruel, yes, but very amusing.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here