Shield Handheld Slips Into July

Shield Handheld Slips Into July

Shield

Nvidia's Shield handheld gaming gizmo has been delayed due to concerns over a "third-party mechanical component."

Just one day prior to its scheduled launch date, Nvidia has announced that the Shield handheld console has been pushed back. "Some final quality-assurance testing has just turned up a mechanical issue that we're not happy with," the company wrote on its blog. "So, while we announced last week that Shield will go on sale this Thursday, we've taken the hard decision to delay shipping until next month."

A "third-party mechanical component" is the cause of all the trouble, and Nvidia said it's "working around the clock" with the supplier to get it up to spec. "We apologize to those who have preordered Shields and to all those who are waiting for them to go on sale," the company wrote. "But we want every Shield to be just right."

Nvidia said it will announce a new launch date as soon as it has one but for now is going with simply July.

Source: Nvidia Blog

Cool. If its delayed anyway can we go ahead and further extend it so as to redesign the god awful form factor to something that isnt so cumbersome and counter ergonomic?

I really wish this was a Steam handheld, instead of a handheld that could read steam off of your pc as long as it's close enough to your wi-fi source. I honestly don't know why anyone should play the Shield instead of just going to your pc and playing it there. They would have had my money months ago if it was it's own system.

...It seems like such a waste.

ObsidianJones:
I really wish this was a Steam handheld, instead of a handheld that could read steam off of your pc as long as it's close enough to your wi-fi source. I honestly don't know why anyone should play the Shield instead of just going to your pc and playing it there. They would have had my money months ago if it was it's own system.

...It seems like such a waste.

The main draw is supposed to be the Android games, which became awesome and deep while I wasn't paying attention apparently. It seems like a less cumbersome solution to using a bluetooth (or PS3) controller with a phone or tablet, but that alone isn't really enough for me. I'm pretty sure most of the Android games that make use of a controller are those Gameloft knock-offs of CoD and zombie shooting anyway.

Also you're right, if I'm within range of my wi-fi I'd rather just sit in front of my computer where the gameplay isn't being streamed over the network to a 720p screen that has a strangely shaped controller. I think they're banking on telling people "are you in the market for an android device? Well if you're a 1337 HaRdCoRe gamer than get this badass gamer one with a controller built in!" I really don't get it.

DrunkOnEstus:
The main draw is supposed to be the Android games, which became awesome and deep while I wasn't paying attention apparently. It seems like a less cumbersome solution to using a bluetooth (or PS3) controller with a phone or tablet, but that alone isn't really enough for me. I'm pretty sure most of the Android games that make use of a controller are those Gameloft knock-offs of CoD and zombie shooting anyway.

Also you're right, if I'm within range of my wi-fi I'd rather just sit in front of my computer where the gameplay isn't being streamed over the network to a 720p screen that has a strangely shaped controller. I think they're banking on telling people "are you in the market for an android device? Well if you're a 1337 HaRdCoRe gamer than get this badass gamer one with a controller built in!" I really don't get it.

When I first learned about this like... last week, I thought it was an ok idea. I have a samsung galaxy player and I often spend nights over my relatives. At least seven times a month. So, being able to have something that plays games and I could use my player to play videos... not bad. not bad at all.

Then I heard about the steam thing, and I thought it couldn't be true. Then I saw the steam play, and I couldn't believe it. Then I heard about the wi-fi tether, and thought 'Ok, THERE'S the fuck up I was waiting for.'

It's so odd. I thought I might even get the Shield because I do play a few android games. Now that I find out that I could use it to run steam but for some reason they won't let me under really asinine conditions, I don't feel like touching it.

What is the market for this? As far as I can tell it runs games on your PC remotely within a certain distance. Which means it loses what i would think would be the main appeal of a handheld, which is you can take it places.

Also many PC titles are optimized to a keyboard and mouse setup. Will these games just be unplayable on it?

Is this thing basically the Xbox version of the PSP or something else?

What the hell is this thing?

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here