Smash Bros. Director Justifies New Character Choices

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Smash Bros. Director Justifies New Character Choices

Masahiro Sakurai explains that "the villager and trainer were not choices we made for the sake of cheap novelty."

When the debut trailer Super Smash Bros. for Wii U and 3DS aired during E3, it brought tears of excitement to many Nintendo fans. It was pretty awesome, and while the addition of The Villager was kind of strange, it ended with the introduction of Mega Man, which I don't think anyone is complaining about. Directly after the trailer, however, the Wii Fit Trainer was announced as the third new character. This had quite a few people scratching their heads, especially considering someone's favorite character from Brawl was cut to make room for her.

Masahiro Sakurai, talking to Famitsu, justified the inclusion of The Villager and the Wii Fit trainer, explaining that they "were not choices we made for the sake of cheap novelty." He says that "Each has their own unique attacks and battle strategies, and they make the game more interesting. If I have an image of a character in my mind that dances around and jibes with what I want, then that's the most important thing."

"Even if you have a character suited for a fighting game, if you can't make him stick out from the pack and extract something unique from him, then what can you do?"

Interestingly enough, Sakurai revealed that The Villager was actually a planned character for the previously released Super Smash Bros. Brawl, but was removed during the planning stages because "he wasn't suited for battle."

Sakurai even delivers a subtle burn to another popular mascot fighter when discussing the addition of Mega Man. "For Mega Man as well, if all we cared about was who we could get in the game, then he would just have regular old punches and kicks, like how he largely does in the Marvel vs. Capcom series. But Mega Man's most unique trait is how he gains new attacks from bosses."

All in all it sounds like Sakurai is a pretty clever dude, and is really trying his hardest to make this game the best it can be. Kudos for being so open with his development process, and explaining the reasons behind all of his choices.

Source: Famitsu (Japanese) via Polygon

Wait... I thought that having the Wii Fit Trainer in there was Yahtzee's joke.

They actually did that?

SSB fans, WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?

You know something? Even once the games is released and several people are butthurt over who did and didn't get in, I would bet money that there will be DLC this time around. Nintendo seems to be picking up on it more and more.

All I ask is that they keep Jigglypuff. I know Jigglypuff is one of the classic characters but I have seen countless people complaining to have Jigglypuff removed and very few arguing back. I don't give a crap about Jigglypuff in the actual Pokemon games but in Smash Bros shes just so much fun to play as.

Zhukov:

They actually did that?

Personally I think the Wii Fit Trainer is great just because it's so stupid.

This is funny, I was just watching zero punctuation last night. Just quickly draw a stick figure Nintendo then look yourself in the eye in a mirror and tell yourself it's all ok.

So is Mega Man going to have some kind of Kirby-like ability to steal other characters moves? It is mentioned about his ability to gain new moves from defeating bosses, but will he just be given a selection from his past games to use off the bat or will he have to gain them in combat by beating other people?

Honestly, at this point, whatever they do, I just hope they take that ****ing random tripping out.

Honestly I never hada problem with them adding the Wii Fit trainer. She look unquie compared to the many colourful characters in the game and that trailer shows she had some intereting moves sets.

Zhukov:

They actually did that?

LOL i also thought he was taking the piss, wtf this is so f***king STUPID. what are Nintendo thinking ?!

If Nintendo wants to focus on making the characters unique instead of having them in there for the sake of it, good. I've gotten pretty sick of the three Star Fox characters in the last game, and Toon Link really should have just been alternate skin.

I also hope that the balancing is better done this time: the slower characters often weren't viable in a such fast paced game, what with the massive wind-up and follow-through attacks that were easily interrupted, plus they weren't that much harder to knock off than the lighter characters.

This does not give me confidence for SSB4.

I think if those same people can tolerate Zamus and her shitty super move then they can tolerate this new lot. All I want them to do is not fuck it up like Brawl.

Now all we need is the brain training guy and the failure will be complete!

Having the Wii-Fit trainer in there is more than worth it because of all the jimmies its rustling, I personally find it funny.

Ok guys this is SSB4s joke character. Brawl had one too. It was ROB.

Arnoxthe1:
Whatever they do, I just hope they take that ****ing random tripping out.

They did that

OT: I can't see how the wii fit trainer is not a joke.

Anyway, start showing more characters please.

Personally I love that the Wii Fit trainer is included and can't wait to try out her move set.

Arnoxthe1:
Honestly, at this point, whatever they do, I just hope they take that ****ing random tripping out.

Hi friend! Thanks for commenting on my post. Sakurai has actually confirmed that random tripping has been removed from the new smash bros!

CriticalMiss:
So is Mega Man going to have some kind of Kirby-like ability to steal other characters moves? It is mentioned about his ability to gain new moves from defeating bosses, but will he just be given a selection from his past games to use off the bat or will he have to gain them in combat by beating other people?

Thanks for commenting! A recent developer direct video showed that Mega Man will have a selection of powers from the past games at his disposal!

Dark Knifer:

Arnoxthe1:

They did that

You made my day, sir.

This is a game where Mario and Bowser can team up to beat the shit out of Princess Peach while wearing Bunny Hoods and shooting hot-curry-induced-flame-breath...
and the Wii-Fit Trainer is the thing that makes people do a double-take?

Arnoxthe1:

Dark Knifer:

Arnoxthe1:

They did that

You made my day, sir.

Pleasure to be of service :)

Also that gif is amazing.

AstaresPanda:

Zhukov:

They actually did that?

LOL i also thought he was taking the piss, wtf this is so f***king STUPID. what are Nintendo thinking ?!

Why is it stupid?
She's a character, she brings variety into the game and it's a bit silly, why does everything need to be so serious these days?

Alluos:
This is a game where Mario and Bowser can team up to beat the shit out of Princess Peach while wearing Bunny Hoods and shooting hot-curry-induced-flame-breath...
and the Wii-Fit Trainer is the thing that makes people do a double-take?

That really shouldn't be surprising. The other characters are considered classics that have many fans, the Wii-Fit Trainer possibly only has fans from the Wii Fit Game (which I've never heard of before), and she's not known to be a hero/villain/fighter as well which may be the extra pain to some.

I don't really have a problem with it myself. I just believe they should have made her the last character to unlock because that's usually the one everyone really wants to see as unique and no one in the entire world would expect her. Oh well, hopefully they give her a really interesting move set.

CriticalMiss:

Well, my guess is when Mega Man defeat for the first time a fighter, he automatically get a specific ability which only the fighter had.
Kirby maybe have the power to get the abilities whatever he/she like, but I think the abilities Mega Man gets will be more powerfull or more practical than Kirby's abilities

My opinion of course..

Zhukov:

They actually did that?

Bitch please, Wii Fit Trainer will kill your ass. Kill it to death.

Bet she plays awesome :D

luvd1:
This is funny, I was just watching zero punctuation last night. Just quickly draw a stick figure Nintendo then look yourself in the eye in a mirror and tell yourself it's all ok.

They already did that with Mr Game and Watch.

Wii Fit Trainer is best character.

Hell some of her moves appear to be yoga stances.

I want the game just to play as her.

Bayonetta needs to be on there just to annoy all the xbox/ps fans that want her back on their consoles of choice. In all seriousness though, there's no need to justify the inclusion of wii fit trainer or animal crossing's villager. They're from two of the most popular Ninty games and if they can get characterful movesets that work well then fair game! I'd much rather take that than another clone.

Oh, and if they make the character customisation thing well, Megaman will be SICK, unlocking and picking classic megaman moves? Sold. Pokemon trainer would also be good- give us different generations of starters to use!

Of course, this is entirely wishful thinking with nothing more than a line or two in an interview to go on. Ho hum.

I wasn't aware that there were alot of people complaining about the Wii Fit Trainer.

It looked to me like alot of people thought it was a really cool, really unexpected, really funny inclusion. Hell, the trailer seems to understand how silly it is:

I'm personally all for the Wii Fit Trainer. She looks fun to play as. And also, I support her inclusion, just due to all of the hilarious meme images that have sprung from it:

it's like MvC3 all over again with the roster change, and we all know how that went over.
Lets just hope that no one too important got removed to make room for these characters.

I can't wait to try out the Wii Fit Trainer. Her trailer cracked me up, but from what they've shown in trailers and demos, she actually looks to be a pretty decent fighter. All of her moves are the various yoga poses and training moves, so the fact they managed to make them all legit fighting moves is pretty damn impressive if you ask me, not to mention creative.

As far as removing characters, Smash has always had a bunch of "cloned" characters, so eliminating them for some new blood is a-ok by me. It looks like Toon Link won't be returning since they're sticking him in the Spirit Tracks stage on the 3DS, so that's one down already. I liked playing the little guy, but I'll take someone new over a different version of another fighter any day.

Epicspoon:
All I ask is that they keep Jigglypuff. I know Jigglypuff is one of the classic characters but I have seen countless people complaining to have Jigglypuff removed and very few arguing back. I don't give a crap about Jigglypuff in the actual Pokemon games but in Smash Bros shes just so much fun to play as.

I imagine they will keep Jiggly in, especially since it's getting the Fairy type treatment for X and Y. While Smash includes tons of classic homages, they do try to keep things updated with what's current as well. Maybe this means we'll expect some new moves for Jiggly?

Ok, so they each have distinctive fighting styles, good. The guy has a clear vision of a small but diverse roster without any redundant characters. But are you sure there are no other Nintendo characters that could have filled the same roles the Villager and WiiFit trainer fill?! That's scaping the bottom of the barrel material there.

EDIT: Although I love that the WiiFit trainer is evolving into this sort of no-nonsense badass trashtalking character.

AstaresPanda:

Zhukov:

They actually did that?

What are you talking about?
Wii Fit Trainer is already my favourite Smash Bros. character and I've never even seen Wii Fit being played before, yet alone played it myself.

It's so bizarre, it's amazing.

Instant main.
...I hope the 3DS version is good.

Infernal Lawyer:
If Nintendo wants to focus on making the characters unique instead of having them in there for the sake of it, good. I've gotten pretty sick of the three Star Fox characters in the last game, and Toon Link really should have just been alternate skin.

I also hope that the balancing is better done this time: the slower characters often weren't viable in a such fast paced game, what with the massive wind-up and follow-through attacks that were easily interrupted, plus they weren't that much harder to knock off than the lighter characters.

well the only slow character from previosue game that we have seen significant gameplay off is bowser, and he has been changed a lot. for example he is standing up right and has about the same speed as mario and now his moves don't take 5 mins to happen after you press the attack button.

roushutsu:
I can't wait to try out the Wii Fit Trainer. Her trailer cracked me up, but from what they've shown in trailers and demos, she actually looks to be a pretty decent fighter. All of her moves are the various yoga poses and training moves, so the fact they managed to make them all legit fighting moves is pretty damn impressive if you ask me, not to mention creative.

As far as removing characters, Smash has always had a bunch of "cloned" characters, so eliminating them for some new blood is a-ok by me. It looks like Toon Link won't be returning since they're sticking him in the Spirit Tracks stage on the 3DS, so that's one down already. I liked playing the little guy, but I'll take someone new over a different version of another fighter any day.

Epicspoon:

I imagine they will keep Jiggly in, especially since it's getting the Fairy type treatment for X and Y. While Smash includes tons of classic homages, they do try to keep things updated with what's current as well. Maybe this means we'll expect some new moves for Jiggly?

well one of the new fairy moves introduced is called moon blast so jiggly's new smash attack could be a giant as laser beam from the moon. love the fact in brawl jiggly had a move that just made it fall asleep and nothing else, just do show of its so manly it gives no shits about the fight.

Kamille Bidan:

luvd1:

They already did that with Mr Game and Watch.

Mr. GaW was an awesome call back. I owned many of his games before I received the Game Boy and they were much fun.

Scarim Coral:
Honestly I never hada problem with them adding the Wii Fit trainer. She look unquie compared to the many colourful characters in the game and that trailer shows she had some intereting moves sets.

Yeah somehow, in a fighting game where Mario can fight Pikachu and fucking Solid Snake, I don't see how the Wii Fit trained is somehow "out of place" or "ridiculous". The whole franchise is built off of this lovely silliness.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here