Leaked Project Eternity Screens Show off Isometric Goodness

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Leaked Project Eternity Screens Show off Isometric Goodness

Players itching to see more of Obsidian's Kickstarter funded RPG can take a gander at a batch of newly leaked screenshots.

When Obsidian launched its Project Eternity it offered an experience that sounded like a dream to many a fan of RPGs: a new isometric role-playing game in the same vein as Baldur's Gate and other Infinity Engine games of old. Promising challenging combat and excellent writing wrapped in nostalgic packaging, its fundraising campaign found immediate success and managed to raise nearly four million dollars on Kickstarter.

The months since Project Eternity's fundraising success have seen a lot of apparent progress that Obsidian has happily detailed through nearly sixty official updates on it Kickstarter page. That being the case, there have still only been limited looks at the game itself via screenshots and a few brief videos. Fans hoping to get a more thorough peek at Project Eternity, however, can now get a closer look at the game via a batch of leaked screenshots showing off a variety of areas and environments from the game.

Looking at the screens, you could perhaps make an argument that the game doesn't look all that original when compared to older isometric RPGs. That said, you'd probably be hard-pressed to find fans put off by that seeing how aping Infinity Engine RPGs was kind of the point. Currently, Project Eternity seems to be do a splendid job of evoking the visuals and style of classic PC RPGs while also delivering a game with fairly lush modern production values. Hopefully the current visual quality will also lead an RPG of the caliber eager fans are hoping for.

Source: Gamestar via PCGamer

Isometric RPG's were never really my kind of game, but those screenshots look beautiful and atmospheric. With so many people buying old games on GOG like Baldur's Gate, Planescape and Fallout I wouldn't be surprised if this game was a smash. I will keep an eye on this one

Lono Shrugged:
Isometric RPG's were never really my kind of game, but those screenshots look beautiful and atmospheric. With so many people buying old games on GOG like Baldur's Gate, Planescape and Fallout I wouldn't be surprised if this game was a smash. I will keep an eye on this one

It wasn't exactly the isometrics that made the games, it was the setting, the plot, the characters and the tactical combat.

By focusing less on massive 3D settings and graphics they were able to focus on what really mattered - the mechanics and the writing.

Isometric game does not mean it will be good, it is a play at nostalgia. That being said... it's Obsidian and they are pretty much the masters of WRPG stories and settings.

Here's hoping there's more variety in the sprites than there was in Arcanum. But looking at the screenshots, and accepting that part of the deal is that they're banking on nostalgia, it does seem like they want graphics to be a tool to tell a story, not the other way around. Which gladdens me.

It's not so much nostalgia but the possibility to cut back on the whole gfx inflation and the need to pump most of your assets in the gfx engine.

A bit too brown for my taste, esepecially the outside shots could be more colorful.

My heart is exploding with awesome.

So excited to see how Project Eternity ends up.

They look pretty good for what I assume are shots from the Alpha version...

Abomination:

By focusing less on massive 3D settings and graphics they were able to focus on what really mattered - the mechanics and the writing.

See for me it was always about the atmosphere and mood. The mechanics of those games never appealed to me. Different folks, different strokes I guess. I could get over the gameplay for some games. Hopefully this will be another. Legacy Of Kain was my perfect balance. Balder's gate felt like an endless adventure.

the weird thing about the old infinity engine games that this is capturing as well is that the graphics age very well which is somehting that 3d games as a rule cant match

modern playable interface + old style isometric beauty. Me gusta!

Man, this looks like shit. Tetris graphics! Where is the multiplayer? Where are the guns and American flags? Do I at least get to kill some Russians or Muslims in this game?

Kiddin' of course. I can't wait to play this. It looks like they're really combining the best of old and new.

I can't wait until the actual game comes out or at least more footage of it comes out. I've been looking forward to it ever since I saw this video:

I don't know about you, but that just looks plain beautiful to me.

Sweetness! I forget, did they ever detail what system the game would use? Or is it something entirely original?

That looks great and I'm super excited for how all this may turn out. I've got lots of faith in obsidian, always made me happy so far.

uchytjes:
I can't wait until the actual game comes out or at least more footage of it comes out. I've been looking forward to it ever since I saw this video:

I don't know about you, but that just looks plain beautiful to me.

Wow. Really cool. I'm usually more of a 3rd-person-follow-cam or even 1st-person guy, but that video kicks ass. If they give it a story to match, I'll be forever grumpy I didn't join the kickstarter...

Adam Jensen:
Man, this looks like shit. Tetris graphics! Where is the multiplayer? Where are the guns and American flags? Do I at least get to kill some Russians or Muslims in this game?

and by some inexplicably strange force in the universe, the man who makes the calls in Obsidian Entertainment sees only the first part of your post, is moved by it and changes it accordingly to your wishes.

jinx.

lets wait and see.

seydaman:
Sweetness! I forget, did they ever detail what system the game would use? Or is it something entirely original?

They'll make up their own.

Looks pretty good to me. Games of the sort occasionally stood out for imaginative architecture or sense of scale, but they were rarely about graphic prowess first and foremost. Honestly, I can't help but feel a lot of AAA-developers could learn a thing or two from that...

Dear god I've missed a lot of this style of game... Good to see a few more on the horizon.

Abomination:
It wasn't exactly the isometrics that made the games, it was the setting, the plot, the characters and the tactical combat.

Isometric game does not mean it will be good, it is a play at nostalgia. That being said... it's Obsidian and they are pretty much the masters of WRPG stories and settings.

Being isometric is an extremely important factor.

#1 Isometric environments play very differently than 3D ones. Searching and exploring a 2D map feels very different than searching a 3D one.

#2 Tactical combat works much better with an isometric view. You can see where everyone is and what everyone is doing. You can select different party members more easily. There's a reason why we don't play RTS in first person.

#3 Cost of content for an isometric game is much lower than for a 3D one. If they were trying to do this game in 3D it would probably cost ten times as much, even if they weren't pushing graphics all that much.

The idea that isometric gameplay is "a play at nostalgia" is to buy into the absurdist idea that 3D games are inherently superior. There are some things that 2D just does better.

well its got rather pretty graphics.... but a rather boring art style tbh. it does really just look like an actual HD Baldurs Gate. while i have confidence il still love the game i wish they went a little more imaginative or atleast made it more colourful

AAA titles can keep their bloated budgets, boring art styles, and empty presentation; this is ten times more gorgeous than what any of those games could manage. Also a lot of those screens are from an area Obsidian has shown a lot.

Aiddon:
AAA titles can keep their bloated budgets, boring art styles, and empty presentation; this is ten times more gorgeous than what any of those games could manage. Also a lot of those screens are from an area Obsidian has shown a lot.

and you can still play it in 10 to 20 years without cringing :)

I have an isometric RGP boner in my pants now.

I want this. Can't wait till it's done.

neppakyo:
I have an isometric RGP boner in my pants now.

I want this. Can't wait till it's done.

"This boner was rendered in 2D. Don't believe me? Well take a look... AT THIS"

OT:
I have never played the old-school(ish) isometric RPG's, so this might be a good place to start. I'm looking forward to it. Love the environments though.

Could use a splash more color but I'm still pumped for this. I love Obsidian and their products and I love me some Isometric goodness so this pleases me. I hope this comes out when I actually have money.

Say what you will but I'm still bummed out that they didn't make it full 3D like Neverwinter Nights. Like, really bummed.

Lono Shrugged:

You should give them a try, personally if only Isometric RPGs got released i would never play anything else. The trick is to get through the first 1-2 hours then the game becomes one of the greatest experiences ever.

Arnoxthe1:
Say what you will but I'm still bummed out that they didn't make it full 3D like Neverwinter Nights. Like, really bummed.

Why?? so you can look at ugly polygons, and have a game with bloated development cost. No thanks my good sir.

mrhateful:

You should give them a try, personally if only Isometric RPGs got released i would never play anything else. The trick is to get through the first 1-2 hours then the game becomes one of the greatest experiences ever.

Oh I played loads way back when and I did enjoy them. Just not in the market for them much anymore. This looks cool though. If it captures that spirit of freedom and exploration then I am sold.

I'm interested, I recently acquired the D&D collection from gog and gave the original Baldur's Gate a try, got rather turned off by the obtuse UI and the amount of micromanagement it seemed to need; polish up those areas and I'm a likely buyer. (I have played the fuck out of DA:O and neverwinter nights 2)

While it's not to colorful, I'll hold off on my judgement until I see more of the game. It could just be early levels, where they start them off in a familiar setting and with ordinary armor or maybe it fits a general theme. Like diablo 2 wasn't super colorful but I think it was very aesthetic.

Zakarath:
I'm interested, I recently acquired the D&D collection from gog and gave the original Baldur's Gate a try, got rather turned off by the obtuse UI and the amount of micromanagement it seemed to need; polish up those areas and I'm a likely buyer. (I have played the fuck out of DA:O and neverwinter nights 2)

Both the Baldurs gate games had really good story but I haven't played them for awhile and do remember some spells being non-user friendly but very useful.(e.g. the ability to disrupt enemy spell casters) Try Planescape Torment. That game is a little less obtuse in the controls but consider it heavy on the RPG elements. I think you can almost pass it without any fighting.(Wisdom is the most important stat. Period.)

Release date(s) Q2 2014

Oooh.. So that's when my social life ends.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here