The Division's Open World Multiplayer Takes Shape

The Division's Open World Multiplayer Takes Shape

The Division

Ubisoft talks about its upcoming online open-world RPG.

Despite the third-person shooter appearance, The Division has many RPG-like components attached, so many that Ubisoft is calling it an "open world RPG". The upcoming Tom Clancy game from Ubisoft takes place in a New York torn apart by a deadly pandemic. During a "community interview", Ubisoft talked about how The Division's online multiplayer fits together.

While the E3 demo showed a few of the shooter's multiplayer features, it goes much deeper than just drop-in co-op. Ubisoft intends for The Division to be a multiplayer RPG with all of New York City as its playground. "Exploration, objectives and player progression are all essential," Ubisoft's senior community developer explains. "You can team up with a group of friends in co-op and jump in and jump out at any time. In certain areas, you can also seamlessly engage in PvP and experience suspenseful scenarios where danger can come from anywhere and anyone," which sounds a lot like the real New York.

These aren't just simple deathmatches or co-op instances, either. "Player vs. Player combat will play a very big role in our game," he continues. To support that, Ubisoft's also developing a "very extensive web-based clan support system" to help everyone coordinate. Meanwhile, the choices players make in the game can either enhance or curtail the chaos in the game world for everyone.

The Division will release "when it's ready". While Ubisoft is currently targeting next generation consoles, it has yet to rule out a PC release.

Source: Ubi Blog

I'm still not convinced that this isn't drop-in co-op with PvP instances.

Their answers were vague and PRey. 'Players can have some affect in certain areas'

The cynical part of me thinks this is going to be more like a Dark Souls mechanic than something that actually justifies the online

While no doubt the real NYC would be able to sustain tens of thousands of people in it, how would the online version fare?

Hell, Defiance had a single open world and you would still get connection issues when surrounded by nearly a hundred players.

Not to mention how the co-op missions will be handeled, nothing sucks more than getting to an area only for it to be already cleared out by another group, and then if its in a PvP area then you will have to fight them also. Or lets say you just spent the last ten minutes doing a mission, low on health and ammo, then another group with the same mission walks up, do the enemies just respawn? if they do are you going to have to fight them along with the players?

I'm not trying to make the idea of essentially another MMO for consoles, but there are a lot of things to consider for the Multiplayer portion, let alone if there is even a Singleplayer portion.

I just hope the gameplay stays somewhat to what the gameplay demo was like at E3.

Also, in before people from New York City judge the game on how accurate the number of Starbucks are in the game.

What do you do when there's a massive viral outbreak?

SHOOT IT IN THE FACE.

Ah, modern AAA video games.

I don't care what the hell it is. Looks awesome and I'm gonna play it!

Colour me interested if only for a coop experience. I'm not 100% convinced yet but I will be keeping a close eye on this.

For those of you who own PC's and want to play this game there is a petition going around 'that there web' that you can sign, to bring such a thing to the attention of Ubisoft.

You can find it here.

6unn3r:
For those of you who own PC's and want to play this game there is a petition going around 'that there web' that you can sign, to bring such a thing to the attention of Ubisoft.

You can find it here.

Ya because I'm going to beg for the opportunity to give someone my money. They either want my business or they don't. If Ubisoft doesn't care enough about the PC market to release the game for it then that is there loss, I'll just spend my cash on some other game. Plus lets be honest here Uplay is dreadful.

Kalezian:
While no doubt the real NYC would be able to sustain tens of thousands of people in it, how would the online version fare?

Hell, Defiance had a single open world and you would still get connection issues when surrounded by nearly a hundred players.

Not to mention how the co-op missions will be handeled, nothing sucks more than getting to an area only for it to be already cleared out by another group, and then if its in a PvP area then you will have to fight them also. Or lets say you just spent the last ten minutes doing a mission, low on health and ammo, then another group with the same mission walks up, do the enemies just respawn? if they do are you going to have to fight them along with the players?

I'm not trying to make the idea of essentially another MMO for consoles, but there are a lot of things to consider for the Multiplayer portion, let alone if there is even a Singleplayer portion.

That's my thoughts exactly.

GW2 ran into the exact same problem in fact: they had this great idea to pit three servers against each other in a massive battle, calling it World vs World (vs World). And it's a hell of a lot of fun....when it works. Problem is, the servers aren't equipped to handle huge fights, which is often what happens. So we'll be in the middle of a 3-way battle to capture the main castle, each side having a good 40-50 people fighting for it, and the servers will start to crap out. The end result is significant skill lag that renders the game almost unplayable, and auto-attack skills end up being one of the only skills that works in such chaos.

What The Division is proposing is even MORE ambitious: a single server running all of those skirmishes and players is a difficult challenge, especially for a shooter, where "skill lag" like the example above isn't acceptable and can flat out ruin the game.

Props to them if they can manage it, but I think they're asking for trouble.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here