Xbox One Designed "With Advertising in Mind"

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

I just don't get these men. Stuff like this you're supposed to hide away in the fine print to be an unpleasant surprise for your customers, not parade as one of your main selling points. I'd frankly be less annoyed if the advertising was a sudden reveal a day before the thing came out, I just can't understand how the biggest electronics corporation we have can be so damn stupid.

My reaction when reading the article.

http://youtu.be/lrF5x1OSJuQ

Does MS really have such a low opinion of their customer base's intelligence?

"[Microsoft] is very keen on protecting the user from any sort of abuse so we can't do certain things."

Ooooookay... theres something very very wrong with this sentence...

Shouldnt he rather say "will not" rather then "cant"?

Because "cant" means that they would if they where allowed to...

SonOfVoorhees:
You have adverts on cable, when you pay for it. You have adverts on pages on the internet and you pay for the use of the internet. As long as the adverts arnt in your face and obstructive, then i dont really care. I think this site needs to calm down and wait till an actual XBone is unboxed and plugged in and we can see how it works. What the advert part is like and other features. An then decide. XBone is like a Nazi Swastika - as in when you see it your brain automatically connects it with negative things.

I understand, you, like me, are fans of 360. It sucks that MS is giving us so many reasons to NOT by the XBone. Its like meeting the girl you love, and then out comes all these negatives and you are conflicted about how many negatives you can accept before you throw in the towel.

But the ads for internet pages aren't generating money for your Internet Service Provider who you pay to give you internet, they go to the individuals who own the webpage. The ads for your cable aren't generating money for the people who provide you with cable, they go to the individual channels that use cable.

The Xbox ads revenue goes straight to Microsoft, not the developers making games, not anyone else, and you already paid full price for a console, and monthly subscription fees for their online services.

Not only that, but the way this announcement that Xbox One will have ads on the dashboard is completely dismissive of their consumers.
1. The Xbox will use the mandatory Kinect unlink to spy on you, and use your conversations for targeted advertising.

2. The Dashboard itself has been "Designed with advertising in mind". Not with "user friendliness in mind" not "customer needs in mind" not "Optimum machine performance".
The purpose of the main home screen of the Xbox One is to generate revenue through advertisements for Microsoft at the customers expense. They are boasting about this feature on the games console.

3. One of your points was that we don't know how obtrusive or annoying the ads will be. We do, because this guy told us straight up that Microsoft have designed the ads so that you can click on them accidentally, resulting in more money for them:

the advertisement we have is quite small and not disruptive so people are not aware of clicking on the banners because they know this is a part of the whole experience on the dash

Yes, that means that they designed it so many people will be accidentally clicking on ads when they don't want to. Lovely.

Dear Microsoft.

Doing this:
Is a bad idea, please stop doing it.

It was amusing at first, but now it's starting to get scary: Do you have a medical condition that prevents you from feeling pain?

Super Not Cosmo:
Oh Microsoft, just when you had went back on your craptastic DRM and had managed not to shit the proverbial bed for almost a week and a half you go and say this bullshit. One step forward and two steps back it seems.

I know right?

My god, it's been like watching the microsoft train detail, flip over, catch fire, explode, and then as they just about manage to stop the flames spreading into surrounding woodland filled with cute animals and babies and children, some guy runs up with a jerrycan full of jet fuel and sets the whole lot off again.

It's almost mesmerizing.

Just to illustrate my point

I... Words fail me. This is so stupid.

It's like they looked for everything gamers hate, and threw those things into this console.

Kamille Bidan:
Another strike for Microsoft.

I think at this point, the game is over. But Microsoft is still just standing there, swinging away at nothing.

Hold on a sec, help me get this straight...you have to pay $5 per month to be bombarded by ads??

Is this Microsoft's attempt at taknig EA's crown as the biggest noob compony world wide? I'm getting confused seriously how can this get any worse publicity wise... just shush up no news is good news for you guys right now.

I seem to recall pointing out a few weeks back that Microsoft was one of several companies being slapped with a class-action lawsuit for their involvement in PRISM, the big NSA scandal that involved their devices being used to spy on people. I suggested, at that time, that Microsoft might use the XBone to perform such a task, and people in these forums shrugged it off as mere conspiracy, saying that it was unlikely the device would really be used that way.

Clearly that was a mistake on their parts, as this is an open admission that the device IS being used to spy on its audience. And if they're willing to use it to spy on people for advertising for other big corporations, then do you really think they wouldn't also use it to help spy for the NSA, especially if that spying request came via secret court order?

I'll make some more tin foil hats for those of you who are willing to join me over here in "Crazytown", if you please.

CriticKitten:
I seem to recall pointing out a few weeks back that Microsoft was one of several companies being slapped with a class-action lawsuit for their involvement in PRISM, the big NSA scandal that involved their devices being used to spy on people. I suggested, at that time, that Microsoft might use the XBone to perform such a task, and people in these forums shrugged it off as mere conspiracy, saying that it was unlikely the device would really be used that way.

Clearly that was a mistake on their parts, as this is an open admission that the device IS being used to spy on its audience. And if they're willing to use it to spy on people for advertising for other big corporations, then do you really think they wouldn't also use it to help spy for the NSA, especially if that spying request came via secret court order?

I'll make some more tin foil hats for those of you who are willing to join me over here in "Crazytown", if you please.

Crazy town?

More like "sad reality"

The fact that microsoft seems to gamble on the great stupid uninformed or uncaring masses shows how easy corporations and goverments have it these days to violate your rights.

That people are even defending these practices while at the same time getting bend over by those that they defend shows that Einstein was infact right from the very beginning.

Another shining PS4 ad courtesy of Microsoft. Seriously, where did these folks learn PR? All these overblown anti-consumer practices have led me to one conclusion: Microsoft XBOX One folks are possessed! We need to send a priest there to exorcise that place!

Like other people who have been put off of the Xbox, the advertising on the 360 was one of the main contributing reasons for it The fact they have admitted they will still be on Xbox Live on the next console has pretty much guaranteed the fact that I will never get one.

I wasn't too fond already, but this seals it.

Wait, wait, I've got it!

EA was pissy about winning Worst Company in America twice in a row, and were afraid of losing business, so they paid their buddies at Microsoft (a company so big they'll never go under) to take a fall and intentionally win next year and prevent a hat-trick. Whenever one gets too much flak, the other will take over ballsing-up to take the heat off!

Genius!

Isn't the purpose of advertising usually to help substantiate a product and bring it to the public at a reduced rate or free? At least thats my understanding with television, magazines, comics etc. So I'm guessing that means we'll be getting our XBL Gold accounts for free right? Especially since their advertising is SO good now.

So the Xbone finally showing off it's true nature? Color me unsurprised.

Less powerful than a PS4, required Kinect to work, 100$ more expensive, using 3 OS's which will result in more RAM usage leaving less for usage on games and now this.

Gee, I wonder why people aren't happy and not interesting in buying one.

Neronium:
And thus what I knew from the start happens again. Seriously one of the reasons why I stopped using my Xbox was because the Dashboard was so filled with advertisements it was sad. I mean, I'm on a gaming console to play games, not to see advertisements galore! >.<

Also, yes I did have it so that the Xbox would automatically start the game so then I wouldn't have to deal with it, but I had to go to the store sometimes unfortunately.

Trishbot:
Yeah... no.

The original Xbox 360 dashboard was quite elegant, simple, easy to navigate, and easy to find content you wanted.

The current Xbox 360 dashboard is a clusterf**** of avatar BS, DLC and game shout-outs, movie trailers, Mountain Dew and Dorita advertisements, and a flood of other crap I don't care about that only gets between me and my gaming, and a massive issue in trying to track down and find games and game content you actually want because there's so much ads to go through now.

Xbox One is a machine designed less to give customers games and more a machine designed to get sponsors and ad venue instead. I'll be passing.

Why don't you just pull the ethernet cord? I did that and the console defaults to my offline account and starts on the "play (insert game here)" tile with blank squares where the ads would be. I feel much better now.

unstabLized:
And here I was, thinking they were fixing themselves up! Glad they're not, it's more fun to watch stuff crash and burn from a PC chair when it comes to the Xbone (No offence to console users). I can so imagine the ad with the voices.

"Xbox, launch CoD: Ghosts"

"WOULD YOU LIKE TO ADOPT A PUPPY FROM YOUR NEAREST ANIMAL SHELTER? POGO IS JUST LOOKING FOR A LOVELY HOME!"

Thank you for being a PC user whose actually nice to console users. I appreciate the no offense statement.

Like last generation and the one before, and the one before that. I'll stick with my main boys Nintendo and Sony. Sony for the games that are made with Triple AAA backing, I.E Metal Gear Rising, DMC4, so on. And Nintendo because I'll never stop being a sucker for more Kirby and Mario games.

I called it. I fucking called it. And NO ONE LISTENED!

CrossLOPER:

Why don't you just pull the ethernet cord? I did that and the console defaults to my offline account and starts on the "play (insert game here)" tile with blank squares where the ads would be. I feel much better now.

I mainly played Bethesda RPGs so I would need the updates in some cases, and I will admit that I liked the Party Chat feature for the 360. Nowadays though my 360 is in a box and I'm on either my PS3, PS2, PC, or Wii more than my 360. Although I use my Wii as a GameCube mainly, and there is a 3rd party peripheral that adds an HDMI port to the Wii and it works perfectly (used it when LPing Luigi's Mansion and I didn't have to forcefully stretch the picture in editing).

Edit: I also find this video to be both funny and appropriate.

i remeber reading an article, on here i think, about comments made by an economist, i think, he was talking about how CoD could have made way more money if they had made it a subscription instead of a one time payment and went on to compare it to WoW. i am unsure if he was aware of the differing infrastructure between an mmo and a fps hosted on peoples home system instead of a server, or if he was aware of the play habits of all people involved and what sort of drop off in numbers you would see if you could only play when you payed and no more casual picking up and playing the game on a whim.

all the crap i hear day in day out about what MS are doing keeps bringing to mind said comments. they bring in someone to help maximise porfits and get the most out of everything they can. because money is good but more money is better sort of thing. wring every last drop they can from gamers and sometimes it feels like they have let those people have too free a rein on what should be done or they have too much influence with the powers that be.

who knows maybe i am reading too much into this but if my gut feels are right they could really regret, down the line, giving so much faith in the numbers wile disregarding the people behind them.

This kind of thing is exactly what I hated about Microsoft when it came to the 360. Before, there were practically no ads on the dashboard. Now, the dashboard is covered in them.

Seems like they're taking things one step further with the whole hidden banner thing, and I just can't support that.

Actually, the worst thing about this isn't that MS is doing these things, it's that through constant press releases, they keep the defects of their console in public memory. The internet forgets fast, but you're keeping up well, Microsoft.

Was going to just post a video of someone laughing themselves into a coma but that probably would have not been enoiugh content and, well, someone beat me to it anyways.
Had a sliver of hope that they might have learned from the whole "forced to change our entire console direction" thing they had to deal with, but guess not. Not that I ever was going to buy a Xbox to begin with, but this has gone from looking at something as "glad I never bought that" to "oh my god, those poor souls who were going to buy that" to "you know what, I hope they bend you over the table if you are stupid enough to buy that". At this point, unless you live under a rock, there is no excuse to not seeing the product design as anything but horribly anti-consumer and if you still want to buy it, well, even if I think you are perpetuating that bullshit for the rest of us to deal with, I will just shake my head and let you, knowing full well that you are hurting yourself far more.

rodneyy:
i remeber reading an article, on here i think, about comments made by an economist, i think, he was talking about how CoD could have made way more money if they had made it a subscription instead of a one time payment and went on to compare it to WoW.

In fairness, CoD is prettymuch the same game every year, so I think a single disc release with some DLC and an expansion pack every year or two would work well for it.

OT: CAPITALISM, HO! Urgh. This is why I hate big companies. This stuff should be illegal.

Oh man :D This is fantastic. I've never been an Xbox person, and up till recently I ignored most of the news surrounding this whole malarkey, but now... This is pure gold. Corporate gold. I wonder, how much does this little, shitty machine have to fuck you over in order for you people not to buy it? Ballpark.

When the DRM was dropped I was open to the idea of getting an Xbox One instead of a PS4 but news like this only reinforces the belief that I would be much better off going with Sony.

Jinxzy:

"With the new Xbox One, the technology and Kinect has improved a lot, so that actually the voice recognition, the way you speak to your Xbox and the transition between gaming and watching TV is a lot smoother, and hopefully we can transpire that into advertising that we do." He went on to say that the new Xbox One dashboard was designed "with advertising in mind."

I'm tired of seeing the little videos on advertisement on the current xbox dash board. Because currently my xbox is saying I'm a female and I get ads about maxi pads,shampoo and razors. While my boyfriend gets Wendy's, dr pepper and old spice. When I go to play I don't want to be reminded of my woman problems, thanks xbox...

If the xbox one picked up my voice and showed me a 3 minute clip or twilight or beverly hills housewives....
There would be no ending to my rage and hate....

When I read the article my first thought was to make the rather racist/insulting joke -- If I say "yo dawg" a lot will I start seeing KFC commercials?

I didn't realize how close to the mark I was.

lol

This is some where between sad and funny as hell. They just keep piling reasons on this thing to avoid it, even AFTER they back-peddled on the online and DRM issue.

Ed130:
I KNEW IT!

And those sheep called me paranoid!

Seriously, those that didn't see this coming are morons.

Yep.

In other news:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA x 1000

Funny Microsoft. You're sooooo cute when you try to polish your TurdBox One with diarrhea.

I'm half-expecting Microsoft's next step will be to announce that the Xbox One requires you to select and watch an advert before you can launch your game, or even that it will interrupt you every hour of playtime with another ad.
The Kinect camera would then be used to make sure you really do watch their adverts: turning away from the screen would result in the advert pausing until you "choose" to carry on. No skipping!

Charlie Brooker's Black Mirror anyone?

Neronium:
And thus what I knew from the start happens again. Seriously one of the reasons why I stopped using my Xbox was because the Dashboard was so filled with advertisements it was sad. I mean, I'm on a gaming console to play games, not to see advertisements galore! >.<

Also, yes I did have it so that the Xbox would automatically start the game so then I wouldn't have to deal with it, but I had to go to the store sometimes unfortunately.

and that's two problems in one: the adverts and the content. It's not just lacing our experience with ads but also putting games on the back burner. On a gaming console that was already doing a poor job with prioritisation in the first place.

In short: DO NOT WANT!

Can someone go threw all of the Xbox One articles and count how many times they say "It's part of the experience?" It has got to be up there in the triple digits.

It has ads that you pay to get, isn't that fun! Only a totally evil mega corporation could make you pay for ads.

So what happens if I just keep screaming "Fuck Ads" at my hypothetical Xbox periodically.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here