Darkspore Gone Forever Due to Abandoned DRM - UPDATED

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Darkspore Gone Forever Due to Abandoned DRM - UPDATED

Darkspore cover

Server-side bugs have rendered Darkspore unplayable for the foreseeable future - even in singleplayer.

When Darkspore launched in 2011, it brought with it a grim harbinger of things to come: always-online DRM. Though EA claimed the mandatory server connection wasn't DRM and was just "part of the experience," the fact remained that the game couldn't be played without a steady connection. One of the many concerns with this "feature" was that players' ownership of the game was entirely dependent on the life of EA's servers. That fear was recently validated, as a series of bugs on EA's end have rendered the game unplayable, with no fixes planned.

Darkspore has been plagued by a number of bugs that prevented players from logging in, including one notable server issue that broke the game for over a week before a server-side fix allowed customers to play their game again. These bugs have been popping up ever since the original release, but the latest (Error 3) looks like it could be around for a lot longer than a week.

An announcement on the official forums seals the game's coffin: "Darkspore is no longer developed. It is for almost all intents & purposes an abandoned title ... Error 73003 has gone unfixed & remains an issue. Error Code 3 has arisen for the majority/all & remains an issue."

Steam has pulled Darkspore from its store, though at time of writing EA is still selling it on Origin.

Source: GameTrailers

UPDATE: EA has apparently changed its mind on Darkspore and updated the message leading into the forums to pledge continued support for the game. "Welcome to the Darkspore forums. Thanks for supporting the game," it says. "We recently resolved an issue that was causing some players to not be able to connect to the game. If you any encounter any other issues, please contact help.ea.com for customer support. We will continue to support Darkspore, so feel free to continue to discuss the game here."

And so it has come to this. The Age of Retro Gaming is over. The time of the DRM has come.

Oh look "Error 3" what a great error message.

a great way to cover up the fact that we pulled the servers without telling anyone.

Unless you give us a reason, not just a random number, then thats what im going to assume.

And this is what you can expect from every always-on game with a single player aspect. So go ahead and try to defend it without looking like a corporate tool.

Maybe not being able to play it is part of the experience? And I'm not entirely suprised that EA have a hand in this and are even still selling it.

It's our fault folks, we resisted the digital future so hard, they killed this game, so now we'd know what we lost. If only we hadn't resist change... :(

Edit: Sorry guys, didn't know this is one of them sites you have to put /sarcasm at the end. I frequent the BSN, my bad. :P

CriticalMiss:
Maybe not being able to play it is part of the experience? And I'm not entirely suprised that EA have a hand in this and are even still selling it.

That last part HAS to be illegal.
Selling a game that is literally unplayable? and the makers even stating so?

Thus is the fate of all games in the always online future.

Take this as a warning.

This needs to be spread over every gaming site we can NOT allow this to be swept under the rug and forgotten!

everyone REMEMBER DARKSPORE!

I think this game was on sale at steam not but a month ago, what a joke they pull it a month after!

Imre Csete:
It's our fault folks, we resisted the digital future so hard, they killed this game, so now we'd know what we lost. If only we hadn't resist change... :(

Oh don't feed us that, this was going to happen from the second the game was released thanks to the DRM.
There is a reason why Older Games have a MUCH longer self-life, they don't need a massive server room in order to be played by anyone, single player or not.

Seriously EA even if you were justified in the always online rubbish there is no way that you can justify selling a game that you know very well to be broken.

Just had to check out of curiosity, holy shit. This game was released April 26th of 2011! Bit over 2 years worth of playing time, then gone, BAM.
2 years.

Man, the Syrian war has lasted longer than this game thanks to always online.

*Channeling Alfred in The Dark Knight*
"I'm not going to say I told you so.
But I bloody told you so."

Yeah, I don't think anybody is surprised by this. Even if it's just a relatively obscure game. I mean, if it was one of their AAA blockbusters they'd probably scramble to fix it. So what this means is that if a game with DRM like this isn't successful enough and anything on their end breaks, tough luck, it's just not worth fixing for them.

20 years from now I'll tell my kids about how we used to be able to pop in a CD of some obscure, 10-year old game and just play it.

And they'll probably ask me if I've already taken my meds today....

"a grim harbinger of things to come"?

Looks like EA is

*Sunglasses*

Assuming direct control

Every time a company says it's game needs to be always online I fully expect "Remember Darkspore" to be the cry of all gamers as a reminder of what the eventual result of always online is. Also Origin is still selling it? Even though they know for a fact it doesn't work? Only EA is capable of such dickery.

"Server-side bugs have rendered Darkspore unplayable for the foreseeable future - even in singleplayer."

the future of cloud gaming

Cognimancer:
Steam has pulled Darkspore from its store, though at time of writing EA is still selling it on Origin.

Oh EA, you haven't really changed at all, have you?

---

This sounds unfortunate...I have no idea what the game is about or even how many people are fans but at least we can point to something like this and say "This is why XBone wouldn't have worked". Can't even play Single Player anymore...damn shame. The Virtual Boy died outright but I can't still play (and annoy people with my love of) Teleroboxer.

Da Orky Man:
And so it has come to this. The Age of Retro Gaming is over. The time of the DRM has come.

Retro Gaming will never truly die until the consoles and carts themselves do.

Cognimancer:
Darkspore Now Requires a Third-Party Crack To Play

Fixed it for you. Remember folks: cracking is 100% legal as long as you own a legal copy and didn't pirate it like a bad boy.

"Error 73003 has gone unfixed & remains an issue. Error Code 3 has arisen for all & remains an issue."
This is possibly one of the most Sci-Fi lines reality has ever produced.

expect to see more of this in the future
this is one half of the reason why i still like having physical copies of stuff the other being i just don't have room to store them digitally

Diablo1099:

Imre Csete:

Oh don't feed us that, this was going to happen from the second the game was released thanks to the DRM.
There is a reason why Older Games have a MUCH longer self-life, they don't need a massive server room in order to be played by anyone, single player or not.

i think they're being sarcastic, given that this is modeled after the response to the xbone changes.

DRM it is so poisonous it literally has the ability to destroy games.

Imagine if we had DRM on paintings or books or any other kind of media. Can you imagine the Mona Lisa reverting back to canvas? Or when the ink just evaporates off every page of every copy of the Grapes of Wrath?

It is a good thing Piracy exists for without it we would have lost a game to the ravages of time. It's beautiful really that when corporate greed eventually implodes on itself it is those painted as villains and crooks that are the ones actually preserving and chronicling the mediums history.

Grim Fandango is all I have to say, without piracy this game would have been lost in the Lucas Vaults.

PS: It's just a boring Spore game but imagine if this had happened to the Walking Dead or Deus Ex or any game that has basically pushed the envelope for videogames in the past decades that this medium has existed.

weirdguy:
i think they're being sarcastic, given that this is modeled after the response to the xbone changes.

....Oh...

Imre Csete:
Snip

Sorry about that, just got a little bit heated up reading that >.<

Diablo1099:

Imre Csete:

i may be wrong but i think he was taking the piss dude.

one of the current arguments for proponents of all the xb1 stuff is change, change is good we should embrace it instead of being the insular ocd freaks that we are, and resisting it.

in an all digital future this would be more common not less and the idea of killing the game to teach us a lesson about obedience would be farsical at best.

OT i cant help but feel a bit sorry for the guys who made the game. they probally knew they werent working on a masterpiece but they put time and effort into the game and, if not everyone, at least some people would like the game. maybe that was enough to keep some of the programmers going, knowing that something they created was out there giving people joy. now its all gone and they have to think to themselfs about all the E.T.'s and Big Rigs, alive and playable (after a sort) wile their work is dead

Man, the three people who bought Darkspore are going to be so disappointed. No, wait. Because even the three people who bought it would never want to boot it up again either.

How did anyone find out about this anyway? Someone accidentally launched it and found out?

they're still selling on Origin for $19.99. You would think they wouldn't still sell a game that no longer works...

Imre Csete:

2/10, would not read again.

I'm gonna resist change all I can if publishers are going to start playing "Shoot the Hostage".

At least Ubisoft had the decency to kill the DRM before their games went kaput.

Da Orky Man:

Must be sarcasm, as this clearly proves the opposite.

(Check your sarcasm tags, dude!)

Well at least a questionably forgettable game well now be remembered as the videogames equivalent to the Alamo....... or something like it. There is a peculiar irony to this.

Well the future is starting to show it's signs and that sign is DRM dystopia for gaming, if this keeps up. Anyones thoughts on the future?

Xan Krieger:
Also Origin is still selling it? Even though they know for a fact it doesn't work? Only EA is capable of such dickery.

Now that's a little unfair to EA. Surely Ubisoft would too.

Either fix it and give customers what they paid for or give everyone still wanting a play it a refund.

And if people stopped licking corporate boots in blind fanboyism in forums ("PEOPLE WILL HATE ON EA/ACTIVISION/ETC FOR EVERYTHING NYYYEHH") and stop giving big publishers money, including their developers like bioware or blizzard, we can do something to change it.

What do people think is going to happen when the new console generation is over? This very thing. Don't buy consoles this time around.

This is also (new) Sim City in 5 years. Though good riddance.

PH3NOmenon:
Man, the three people who bought Darkspore are going to be so disappointed. No, wait. Because even the three people who bought it would never want to boot it up again either.

How did anyone find out about this anyway? Someone accidentally launched it and found out?

Think of it this way: This could just as well have been Diablo 3, SimCity or Assassin's Creed 2 (back in the day) - or any other game featuring DRM of the intrusive fashion.

It may not be a popular title, but that does not matter at all. A game is now unplayable just because someone insisted on DRM. And, worse yet, it is still being sold - even though it is unplayable and there seems to be no intention to fix it.

I can't wait for this to happen to Destiny!

This shows why I don't want games that require the internet (mainly the single-player portion of games). There will come a time where they will be unplayable by everyone forever. Games that require an internet connection have a limited life. It will run out, and then nobody will ever be able to play the game again.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here