Xbox One Only Accepts Specific Headsets, Microsoft Explains Why

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Xbox One Only Accepts Specific Headsets, Microsoft Explains Why

Xbox One headset image

If you don't want trash talk to be blasted from your TV speakers, you'll need to spend more than the Xbox One's $500 base price.

Part of the reason Xbox Live has such a vocal community (for better or worse) is that the console included a headset right in the box. One console generation later, the tables have turned - Microsoft announced that the Xbox One will not only ship without a headset, but standard headsets - including the 360 model - won't be compatible with the new system. The official Xbox One headset (designed to work with the controller's uniquely-shaped auxiliary port) will be sold separately, and for the time being it seems the only options are to throw that extra cash to Microsoft or use the Kinect's built-in microphone.

"The Wireless Controller has been redesigned to allow for higher data transfer speed between the controller and the console," a Microsoft representative explains. "This also required creating a new expansion port design for headsets and future controller add-on devices which is different from a standard audio plug input."

Microsoft says that there are plans to develop some kind of port adaptor which would allow other headsets to connect to the controller, which (conveniently enough) would also involve purchasing another accessory from Microsoft. If you don't want to spend more money on the console, Microsoft claims that the Kinect's noise-cancelling microphone will be sufficient for voice chat while gaming, though it remains to be seen how well that will work in practice.

Just for comparison, the PS4 will include a basic headset in the box.

Source: Game Informer

And its controller's expansion port prevents it from taking standard USB headsets through the console's built-in USB ports because...?

Cut the bullshit, Microsoft, we can see right through it.

P.S. Thanks

Oh hi Sony's PR team! Hard at work again aren't ya?

On the serious side of things, that seems to be a bit of a weird choice on their part to not come with a headset...a huge step back really.

And I refuse to believe that the Kinect mic will be able to give the same amount of clarity that a headset mic can. Especially if you are in a room with other things going on...or can not shout loud enough to communicate with teammates if the Kinect itself is across the room (considering that the large space needed for it to do all the motion stuff).

Because they want more money. Seriously, it seems pretty obvious they're trying to milk as much accessory money out of the xBone as possible.

Really though, now I hope that Sony advertises "Accepts all headphones!" as a selling point.

So including a standard headset jack alongside a port designed for future peripherals is beyond Microsoft's engineers? There is no technical or ergonomic reason that would prevent them from having a STANDARD headset jack on the controller along with their BS new port. I will admit that I have spent a lot of time defending MS in the past but even the hardest of the hardcore shills should find it difficult to excuse this kind of BS. I mean come on, this is the kind of crap Apple pulls and even they have yet to put out an iDevice without a standard headphone jack.

So now that the deals with the used-game stores must be cancelled, Microsoft has decided to make a console that only allows for certain headsets? Has this new type of auxiliary port been decided by most hardware makers to be in all future appliances? No? Then it's a terrible idea yet again!

Covarr:
And its controller's expansion port prevents it from taking standard USB headsets through the console's built-in USB ports because...?

P.S. Thanks

BECAUSE WE WANT MORE MONEY, DAMMIT!

Errrr...I mean, because ponies we need to offer you the best fidelity, and surely proprietary devices are the best way to go...

You know, every time I think "maybe it won't be so bad," they add another bit.

The xbone gets more and more absurd every day. Please Microsoft, don't stop. This is just too much fun. And yes captcha, they should face the music.

This one seems fine, the Kinect's microphone is good enough to take voice commands, it'll be good enough to voice chat. Why give everyone a headset microphone when they've already got one built into the machine?

I'm glad Sony are adding a headset to their package though, people called Live a bigger community, but that doesn't really mean anything when your playing games which allow 32 people max to play together and both communities are in the millions. The only real difference was the PSN's was a lot quieter because people don't default to having a microphone. Of course this means the PSN is also going to be exposed much more to the lovely sound of the 13 year old profanity screechers.

Still better then Skullcandy!

"The Wireless Controller has been redesigned to allow for higher data transfer speed between the controller and the console," a Microsoft representative explains. "This also required creating a new expansion port design for headsets and future controller add-on devices which is different from a standard audio plug input."

Bullshit, I just bought the new Roku with a remote control that uses the same Wifi direct technology that the Xbone gamepad does...and it has a built-in headphone jack that works with any standard mini headphone.

If you have ever used the current Kinect as your XBox 360 mic, you are fully aware that using that crap just isn't an option.

also known as, we want more money

Phrozenflame500:
Because they want more money. Seriously, it seems pretty obvious they're trying to milk as much accessory money out of the xBone as possible.

This.

Also, as someone who uses the mic built into his laptop for voice chat while gaming, often in conjunction with a full 5.1 system (you know, the kind that's even more likely to be used with a console than a PC), they'd better have some /damned/ good noise cancellation built into that thing, preferably of the sort that can recognize audio that originated from the Xbone itself and selectively remove it. My mic is obnoxiously noisy even with the noise cancellation Microsoft built into Windows 7 and careful tweaking of the levels, it only works because PC games tend to use push to talk.

The vibrations from the system fan alone is enough to make it sound like I'm gaming next to a jet engine.

Well, I didn't know that the PS4 came with a headset, so thanks for making my PS4 purchase easier every day Microsoft!

again, holy shit, does this video have many uses for when Microsoft opens their fucking mouth.

Microsoft, what are you doing?

Microsoft.

STAHP.

Because it works for Apple!

I can't help but think of one of those World War II comics of a man of industry handing a soldier a shell so he can keep fighting... except Microsoft keeps handing the shell to the opposition who takes it with a baffled expression but doesn't protest.

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
Napoleon Bonaparte - Sony's new motto.

Ok lets get this straight, they will stick a $100 device in with the console that no-one wants because they believe its needed for a quality experience, but wont stick a $5-15 (whatever its worth) headset and would rather make you pay for one. Funny since their $100 cheaper competitor can do that.
I knew there was a reason I had a smile on my face when pre-ordering the PS4 :-)

Yeah, smells of the finest bullshit to me. From the looks of it, the headset does none of the processing and transmitting, it's just a input/output. A standard 3.5mm jack or USB socket would be more than enough for what the headset does. If, on the off chance that the headset is doing data processing and the controller just transmitting and transfer speeds are that important, what's wrong with USB 3.0? Designed correctly there should be not problems with interference, plus you can tout the advantages of your new system whilst allowing people to use their old sets while saving up for one your new ones....Oh, wait, industry standard connections, third party stuff, I get it. Can't be seen to be not maximising profits, can we?

Like I said with their advertising announcement, just shut up for a month or so. People have surprisingly short memories, quit jogging it by (at this stage) talking. At all.

Edit:

Abomination:

I can't help but think of one of those World War II comics of a man of industry handing a soldier a shell so he can keep fighting... except Microsoft keeps handing the shell to the opposition who takes it with a baffled expression but doesn't protest.

"Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake."
Napoleon Bonaparte - Sony's new motto.

'Loose lips sink ships' seems to be rather apt here as well.

When they said the Xbone wasn't compatible they meant with everything didn't they? How long until we find out it isn't compatible with standard electricity sockets and instead requires you to buy the Microsoft brand electricitonal socketron technology experience?

PS4 will come with a headset? Any idea what kind it will be? I'm curious. Bluetooth? I wonder how compatible the PS4 will be with that sort of thing.

Oh. Yeah. Xbox One is bad. Microsoft is being dumb. Blah blah blah.
Can we get a standardized response to Microsoft idiocy at this point? It would make this much easier.

Furioso:
Well, I didn't know that the PS4 came with a headset, so thanks for making my PS4 purchase easier every day Microsoft!

Ahem. As this person said.

Epidemiix:
Oh hi Sony's PR team! Hard at work again aren't ya?

So far, Microsoft's PR/advertising has done more for Sony, than their own PR/advertising. I don't know if I should laugh or cry. It's hilarious.

Well, at least they're explaining themselves feasibly now.

The PS4 comes with an ear bud with a dangling microphone. Not exactly what I'd call a "headset". When I think of headset, I think of something that more akin to the MS thing. Though I still see no valid reason not to include it with the machine. Of course Sony didn't include a mic with the original PS3 and no one cared at all.

Covarr:

P.S. Thanks

We can see through it, untold millions of masses out there cannot.

Not much can be done really.

Because it's the nature of Cap-ie-tal-ism.

Someone should really let Microsoft know that this EA-esque foot-in-mouth garbage is bad for them.

Or for some reason do they NOT want people to buy their system?

Cognimancer:
Just for comparison, the PS4 will include a basic headset in the box.

Oh, burn.

But...eh. TBH, it's the Xbox One. Maybe if someone else had pulled this stunt, but really, can anyone say they are too surprised?

Well it's a good thing that:

A. I never used my 360's headset
B. rarly play games that aren't TF2 online
C. plan on getting a PS4 (as soon as Sony proves that the busted PS3 I got was a fluke)

Waiting for reversal of the DRM reversal announcement soon. Wouldn't surprise me at this point lol.

WTF is Microsoft doing... Stop trying to serve the needs of shareholders and serve the needs of the customer.
Plus not having a standard headphone jack but selling an adapter... What?

I'm just insulted by how much BS Microsoft is trying to get away with and that it's allowing Sony to get away with lesser BS that really should matter as well.

Sony's earbud is pretty crappy, but the standard earphone jack is... well standard! So lots of people will be able to use it without stocking up on console specific peripherals. It's common sense.

It really does feel like Microsoft is making a grab for every cent of disposable income that you have, not realizing that most people are connected enough to have some insight into how greedy they are being. It's gone on long enough so that it won't just hurt them short term, but also in the long run.

Next they'll try release a Windows OS that only allows Microsoft branded games and tries to kill the indie scene.

I'm getting really, really sick of Microsoft claiming that the Xbone is 'Your all-in-one entertainment box!'... And then telling us all those old games, and now accessories, etc., won't be compatible at all with it. I mean, call me a snob, but I have a 7.1 surround headset for my PC, and that piece of shit looks like it could have been easily replicated by two earbuds and a mic. How about some actual specs for the damn thing, rather than your usual PR blathering?

Phrozenflame500:

I just can't figure out why they think this is a good business strategy, even though it is all about milking the consumer for everything they have. I mean, it's hilarious as hell, but from the way Microsoft is playing this thing, you'd think that everyone on the Xbone team suffers from a traumatic brain injury.

It's like when everyone was screaming about the always-on connection and DRM, Don Mattrick said gamers are passionate and "loving what we do," and that's where the vitriol was coming from.

Seriously? That's why? How about gamers aren't stupid and can see when you're trying to ram a knotty stick up our asses?

I just don't get it.

Cognimancer:
(designed to work with the controller's uniquely-shaped auxiliary port)

BULL. F***ING. SHENANIGANS.

Microsoft says that there are plans to develop some kind of port adapter which would allow other headsets to connect to the controller

SEE?

You know how people react badly to a TV show that doesn't respect it's audience's intelligence? Same problem right the hell here.

What's this? A proprietary system employing proprietary standards to make more money than warranted?
WHAT SORCERY IS THIS?

Bonus points for completely undermining their reasoning in the same article.

"We're making a conversion kit."
If your new-super audio plug is too good for mere USB or a double audio jack (it isn't, but I'll humor them), how is a mere adapter going to fix that without causing a quality loss?

They might as well claim the magic Azure Cloud Fairies make this work better too for all the sense that makes.

seriously its really hard not to think that this whole xbone thing has been a massive misdirection, to rival that of "new" coke. So that when they release the for real console info everyone will worship at their altar. I mean thats gotta be whats going on right? I mean otherwise they're practically a self parody at this point.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here