Xbox One Only Accepts Specific Headsets, Microsoft Explains Why

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Translation: We are greedy and think constantly treating our customers like #$%^ is a good business strategy.

Seriously, are they trying to sell PS4s, which might I remind you do not come with any of this bull@#$^?

whats the bet its just a funny shaped USB 3.0 port? hardware hack in 3... 2... 1...

I like how everyone suddenly forgets that it includes a microphone system in the form of Kinnect but because it's Microsoft it's still cool to moan about.

TexDangerfield:
I like how everyone suddenly forgets that it includes a microphone system in the form of Kinnect but because it's Microsoft it's still cool to moan about.

Kinect's microphone is a piece of shit, as is the Kinect itself.

Microsoft could learn a thing or two from Will Rogers.

Here's the problem, I think:
Some time ago, Microsoft was staffed entirely by engineers. These engineers were very good at their jobs. They could make their machines more efficient at what they did than anyone else could. Their machines worked perfectly and did precisely what the engineers wanted them to do.

There was only one problem.

The rest of the universe didn't work perfectly, and no matter how many flowcharts and diagrams the engineers showed the Universe, the Universe refused to behave in such a way that their machines worked the same for everyone, everywhere.

So what did they do?

The hired some marketers.

ZZoMBiE13:
The PS4 comes with an ear bud with a dangling microphone. Not exactly what I'd call a "headset". When I think of headset, I think of something that more akin to the MS thing. Though I still see no valid reason not to include it with the machine. Of course Sony didn't include a mic with the original PS3 and no one cared at all.

that just looks ugly e-e edit:how the hell would i use that seriously?why isn't anyone making a hit piece on this piece of crap?

Keep digging that grave you're determined to put yourself in, Microsoft...

Vivid Kazumi:

ZZoMBiE13:

that just looks ugly e-e edit:how the hell would i use that seriously?why isn't anyone making a hit piece on this piece of crap?

I'm more curious if the bluetooth mic I bought for my ps3 will work for the ps4.

Vivid Kazumi:

ZZoMBiE13:
The PS4 comes with an ear bud with a dangling microphone. Not exactly what I'd call a "headset". When I think of headset, I think of something that more akin to the MS thing. Though I still see no valid reason not to include it with the machine. Of course Sony didn't include a mic with the original PS3 and no one cared at all.

Because it comes standard, is free, and looks like it has a standard input.

If Sony were charging us out the nose for that cheap looking piece of junk then yes there would be rage.

http://au.playstation.com/ps4/features/techspecs/

it has bluetooth 2.1 so i see no reason why it shouldn't work this time around.

TexDangerfield:

Yeah, you don't want to be using the Kinect mike for team chat. You and your mates will be fighting with feedback from your TV (and others, if they are using it too) and basically everything else in the room, if not the house depending on how sensitive it is. Might be great when using skype when talking with and in groups of people (as in people in the same room), but gaming, pretty much last resort because it will be difficult to hear people over all the noise.

The week hasn't even started properly yet and MS again starts to shoot itself in the foot...

And no I don't think it's a good decision for the customer...

Anyway the Xbone entertainment system keeps me pretty entertained without me actually having to buy it.

Ed130:

Vivid Kazumi:

ZZoMBiE13:

Because it comes standard, is free, and looks like it has a standard input.

If Sony were charging us out the nose for that cheap looking piece of junk then yes there would be rage.

they might as well be forcing you to buy a new headset.GIVEN that pos headset will likely break in a month .
captcha: neckbeard.holy crap how did captcha know i was just at reddit?!

"Yeah... we kinda sorta can only accept our own custom designed headset for our controller plug because of... more... quality sound? Why not wireless or a normal plug you say? REALLY? That would mean accesibility... Why's that bad you say? Well... money" AAAAND... scene.

I don't even care about consoles, but every time I see the new "hey you can only use our headset for our plug" or whatever the new piece of "Microsoft is shit" news, is both exasperating and so damn funny. Dunno why the keep releasing the shitty excuse of "X doesn't work because of Y trait". The new port allows more data transfer? TALKING AND LISTENING! What the fuck else is there for a headset.

OH, that's it, these have an extra pair of "we're watching you" sensors and they don't want to talk about it.

Let's see how long it takes for the comments to rip this MS argument to shreds?

Covarr:
And its controller's expansion port prevents it from taking standard USB headsets through the console's built-in USB ports because...?

Cut the bullshit, Microsoft, we can see right through it.

P.S. Thanks

... Welp.

Jesus microsoft, how many cliffs are you trying to drive off at once?

Yes, everyone who can't afford a new headset should chat using the Kinect. Capital idea.
Even if the Kinect microphone is good enough, does Microsoft expect to only sell consoles to social recluses living in basements?
Ever heard of such a thing as _other people in the room_? Ambient sounds? Things you possibly don't want to transmit or receive while playing online?
Keep digging, Microsoft, I'm sure you'll hit China sooner or later.

Vivid Kazumi:

ZZoMBiE13:

I suppose coz it looks like a standard phone hands free "headset" and everyone uses those so don't really care?

"The Wireless Controller has been redesigned to allow for higher data transfer speed between the controller and the console," a Microsoft representative explains. "This also required creating a new expansion port design for headsets and future controller add-on devices which is different from a standard audio plug input."

KrrrrrmmmmmmpfffffkhhhhhpfffffAAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAH!
BAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHHAHAH!

A-HA, HAaaa... *wipes tears*
I can't imagine them falling harder on their face than they did just now. I've seen 4-year olds explain (and justify) the pricing behind their boogers better than this.

Well this doesn't really surprise me because the only standards MS understand are MS branded "standards".

Has no one told MS that there's such a thing as a 3.5mm audio jack that all PC equipment already uses? Keep to the standard and the issue of headsets becomes moot.

Old way: If it isn't broken, don't fix it.
New way: If it isn't broken, make arbitrary changes.

TIMESWORDSMAN:
SNIP

I think they also saw that Apple was successful, and decided the reason was that Apple uses a closed ecosystem for their products,read by Microsoft as "Because it's easier for the consumer! Of course!"

If Microsoft really understood the situation, they'd realize that Apple succeeds *despite* having a closed ecosystem, because their products are pretty, and work well for the most part.

I use PCs because I want an open platform, yet still have access to most software on the market. They would be wise to remember that.

Love Will Rogers, by the way. Surprised anyone here even knows who he is.

Severian:
Waiting for reversal of the DRM reversal announcement soon. Wouldn't surprise me at this point lol.

There was an article last week about leaked plans for a "patch" that would reinstate the DRM a few months AFTER the initial launch of the device, I believe it was called "patch 1.2"

Since then, I've not been able to find said article. Now, I am inclined to believe the piece was taken down because it was fallacious. However, in the absence of clarity and goodwill from M$, I can certainly believe the XBONE capable of such shenanigans.

I don't think anyone doubts that DRM will be shoehorned in somehow the minute our backs are turned (or in roundabout fashions).

OMG, I've said it before and I will say it again, STOP MAKING ANNOUNCEMENTS MICROSOFT! They are just digging themselves deeper and deeper, like I think they heard about this reverse psychology thing, "if we make them hate it, they will buy it".

...It hasn't even been three fucking weeks, and already it feels like the Xbone is doomed to fail.

Phrozenflame500:
Because they want more money. Seriously, it seems pretty obvious they're trying to milk as much accessory money out of the xBone as possible.

Really though, now I hope that Sony advertises "Accepts all headphones!" as a selling point.

PlayStations don't have headphones or voice chat features right?

I see tomorrow's headlines: "Sony: The PS4 will accept any headset!"

Seriously though, this is just silly.

Owyn_Merrilin:

Phrozenflame500:
Because they want more money. Seriously, it seems pretty obvious they're trying to milk as much accessory money out of the xBone as possible.

This.

Also, as someone who uses the mic built into his laptop for voice chat while gaming, often in conjunction with a full 5.1 system (you know, the kind that's even more likely to be used with a console than a PC), they'd better have some /damned/ good noise cancellation built into that thing, preferably of the sort that can recognize audio that originated from the Xbone itself and selectively remove it. My mic is obnoxiously noisy even with the noise cancellation Microsoft built into Windows 7 and careful tweaking of the levels, it only works because PC games tend to use push to talk.

The vibrations from the system fan alone is enough to make it sound like I'm gaming next to a jet engine.

Considering that there were issues during the XBox One reveal with people's Kinects following instructions from the video while they were streaming over XBox Live.... Yeah, I doubt they had the foresight to program the thing to filter any sounds/voices originating from the XBox. Which will be even funnier when the trolls start telling your XBox to switch to TV in the middle of a COD match :P

Mick P.:

Phrozenflame500:

Really though, now I hope that Sony advertises "Accepts all headphones!" as a selling point.

PlayStations don't have headphones or voice chat features right?

It does have voicechat and comes with a free headset.

However

You get what you pay for.

On the bright-side of things it looks like a standard connection so you won't have to chuck your old headset away.

XbOne in a nutshell

Its the same thing as the 360s audio connector when you try to use a standard HD lead, it has a plastic tab on it (which can be removed quite easily) to stop you using said standard HD cable so you have to buy Microsofts at like 4x the cost.

All that about higher speeds is a complete load of bullshit, the 3.5mm audio jack which is standard for headphones and such is more than fine for a xbox headset.

It seems they're aiming for the X1 to be more like a status symbol, like Apple. Wait, AWWWW HEEEEELL NO!

"What is this you already got a headset? how dare you buy your own headset that is confortable and not pay US for it, you must buy our shitty headset that norally is sold for 10 $, but instead we will make you pay 100$ or else your consoles will not work" herp derp
we saw this with 360, and that alone was reason enough for me to raise hell for anyone who owned one. this sort of shit should not be legal to begin with. basically they are doing a force monopoly.

Covarr:
And its controller's expansion port prevents it from taking standard USB headsets through the console's built-in USB ports because...?

software. Your headphone does not respond to software signals = not plugged in. there are more ways to block stuff other than unput method.

Raioken18:

Next they'll try release a Windows OS that only allows Microsoft branded games and tries to kill the indie scene.

Its called Windows 8. While it is not active now, technically windows 8 is fully capable of locking you out of ANY program they dont like with a simple update. basically the windows will tell you that the program is not supported.

lacktheknack:

You know how people react badly to a TV show that doesn't respect it's audience's intelligence?

By making it extremely popular reality TV show that millions watch? (Keeping Up with the Kardashians, Jersey Shore.... i cant really come up with more titles i dont watch them), you get the point)

chikusho:
Yes, everyone who can't afford a new headset should chat using the Kinect. Capital idea.
Even if the Kinect microphone is good enough, does Microsoft expect to only sell consoles to social recluses living in basements?
Ever heard of such a thing as _other people in the room_? Ambient sounds? Things you possibly don't want to transmit or receive while playing online?
Keep digging, Microsoft, I'm sure you'll hit China sooner or later.

if microsoft conducts themselves in rela life the same way they do in Xbox information reveals then it is quite safe to say they do not know what other people in the room will do as they never had any - they dont ahve friends to invite over.

Vivid Kazumi:
they might as well be forcing you to buy a new headset.GIVEN that pos headset will likely break in a month .

do you use a headset currently?
yes? then use the same headset since its a standart plug (provided you dont ahve 360 headset which as much a "unique plug" as the Xbone).
No? then you clearly dont need one to game to begin with.

Capcha: one fell swoop.
yeah, i guess you cant make a dead man fall....

HAHAHAHAHA!

Seriously, this just got funny again. I have never seen a corporation self-immolate like this before.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here