Dev: Rare Lost its "Spark" After Microsoft Purchase

Pages PREV 1 2

Souplex:
We all sort of knew that.
Retro Studios seems to have filled Rare's original niche at Nintendo pretty nicely though.
Why did Nintendo sell their Rare stock anyway?

I heard at the time, the price Microsoft gave to Nintendo for Rare was so enormous, nobody with any sense could hope to reject such an offer.

Vykrel:
more like "rare lost most of its original talent"

i dont know if any of the original developers from their golden days even still work there.

They don't. They all either left, or got the boot. Grant Kirkhope touched upon this when he was a guest player on the Game Grumps.
Based on what he said, we can assume that all of the original staff have left around the time of Viva Pinata.
They are now scattered about as indie developers or working elsewhere.
No one is really sure where the two original founders are either.

I am amazed you didn't cover the fact Microsoft bought Rare because it thought it would transfer the rights of Donkey Kong to them. In fact, when the execs toured the acquisition they saw posters of Donkey Kong and got all excited, thinking they owned Donkey Kong.

Ultratwinkie:
I am amazed you didn't cover the fact Microsoft bought Rare because it thought it would transfer the rights of Donkey Kong to them. In fact, when the execs toured the acquisition they saw posters of Donkey Kong and got all excited, thinking they owned Donkey Kong.

That's hilarious as fuck.

neppakyo:
Gotta give MS some credit, if EA bought them, everyone would be fired and the name would be changed to EA Southwest or something.

Still doesn't excuse Rare for not making a good game in over a decade.

Funnily enough at the turn of the century Rare had two choices as far as buyers were concerned (Nintendo didn't want to buy them), either Activision or Microsoft. So it was definitely a 'Lesser of two evils' deal.

As for the good games, Microsoft won't let them make any good games. They shot down or otherwise cancelled Rare's projects. Or else they fucked them up, see Conker: Live & Reloaded. The few games that Rare did get to put out didn't sell very well, mainly because Microsoft wouldn't promote them.

Souplex:

Machinima has a special on Rare (relevant section here). Basically the Stamper Brothers offered their 51% share to Microsoft, which meant that Nintendo had the opportunity to match Microsoft's offer for the controlling interest. Microsoft made an insanely high offer that Nintendo weren't willing to match.

"Former Rare Employee Admits Harsh Truth That Everyone Knew For The Last 10 Years"

Last "modern" Rare game I played was Perfect Dark Zero, when the 360 first launched. I have never played a new Rare game since, that's how bad it was.

This amuses me to no end, because in 2002 I remember reading a column in the 'Official Xbox Magazine' titled (and I am not making this up): "Rare Gone? Suck It, Fanboys."

Good to see that such hubris is punished over time.

Terramax:
Well, it's nice to know that at least people AT Rare were fully aware their quality almost completely diminished with the acquisition. Anyways, this guy is just confirming what everyone already knows. Nintendo not buying Rare when the owners lost interest in the company has to be one of the worst decisions in gaming history.

It was the Stamper brothers who decided to sell their stake in the company to Microsoft. The instant they did that, they ruined things between Rare and Nintendo. Nintendo could have tried to buy those shares back off Microsoft, but would have a) had to expend a huge amount of money to do so, and b) would have ended up owning the studio outright, a practise they've said repeatedly in the past they dislike, as you can spend millions of dollars buying a studio only to have all the talent walk out. A lot of team members had already left to form Free Radical. Nintendo had no reason to keep hold of the rest of Rare when the Stamper brothers had already sold off half the company to Microsoft.

Souplex:
We all sort of knew that.
Retro Studios seems to have filled Rare's original niche at Nintendo pretty nicely though.

See above. Nintendo just followed through on a business transaction instigated by the Stamper brothers. And I agree with you that Retro seems to have stepped up to be the new Rare for Nintendo. They reinvented the Metroid franchise in much the same way Rare reinvented Donkey Kong, have left their own indelible mark on the FPS genre, and have shown they're no slouches when it comes to making Donkey Kong Country games either. Looking forward to Tropical Freeze, and can't wait to see what they've got lined up afterwards.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

Terramax:
Well, it's nice to know that at least people AT Rare were fully aware their quality almost completely diminished with the acquisition. Anyways, this guy is just confirming what everyone already knows. Nintendo not buying Rare when the owners lost interest in the company has to be one of the worst decisions in gaming history.

It was the Stamper brothers who decided to sell their stake in the company to Microsoft. The instant they did that, they ruined things between Rare and Nintendo. Nintendo could have tried to buy those shares back off Microsoft, but would have a) had to expend a huge amount of money to do so, and b) would have ended up owning the studio outright, a practise they've said repeatedly in the past they dislike, as you can spend millions of dollars buying a studio only to have all the talent walk out. A lot of team members had already left to form Free Radical. Nintendo had no reason to keep hold of the rest of Rare when the Stamper brothers had already sold off half the company to Microsoft.

This is very true. However, it's anyone's guess if anyone were to have walked out if Nintendo kept hold of the company. After all, the reason why so many apparently stayed for so long was that they had a good vibe going when working with Nintendo.

Sure, members left to form Free-radical, but wasn't this immediately after the Goldeneye game? Rare continued to make quality for some years later. I could be wrong here.

In other breaking news: water is wet, grass is green and the sun rises in the east.

I think, and keep in mind this is just conjecture, but I THINK that most people fucking noticed by this point.

I take some solace in knowing that the best talent at Rare left before Microsoft got a hold of them. Timesplitters is the best followup to Perfect Dark that I could have hoped for (spiritually, if not thematically).

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here