Halo Warthog Celebrates LGBT Pride In Seattle

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Halo Warthog Celebrates LGBT Pride In Seattle

Seattle's annual Pride parade got an extra boost from the recent DOMA decision.

"It was wonderful to be a part of and to know that we are living in an area that is so supportive of equal rights for everyone," says Sarah, writing on the blog Sarah and Ryan In Seattle. The transplanted Canadians managed to get more than a few shots of the annual Pride parade, which enjoyed an extra boost thanks to the recent DOMA decision. "It's really a big deal," said one parade attendee to the Seattle Times. "We're happy to be on the right side of history." So, by the look of Sarah and Ryan's snaps, was a certain Halo character, with a Warthog in all the colors of the rainbow.

The Warthog also got a Twitter shout-out from 343 Industries, currently in charge of the franchise. "We were honored to celebrate Seattle's Pride Parade this weekend with a special appearance from the Halo Warthog," said a 343 representative, "and thank the community and parade organizers for letting us contribute to the festivities."

The parade, which marched 12 blocks, had a wide range of floats and entries on display. Judging by the Seattle Times' photo gallery, marriage was a popular theme this year.

Source: Joystiq, Sarah and Ryan In Seattle

kind of irronic that the most common insult in the game is probably a homophobic one yet they are playing a game thats made by a company that actively supports gay rights like this

It's nice to see the Puma get out and about in the real world.

Given that most people who play Halo online will probably be called a 'fag' sooner or later, this seems appropriate.

Master Chief doesn't really support gay people, he just heard they were destroying the Covenant of marriage and wanted in on the action.

Had hoped this was some sort of official Bungie PR stunt, to try to limit the homophobia in their online games.

What a great idea that would be, eh?

Sorry guys, but I still don't see how "equal rights for everyone" translates into having a yearly parade celebrating your frickin' sexuality. No. One. Cares. Anymore. The fact that most polls show the majority of the country is now in favor of gay marriage and the striking down of that DOMA decision prove that being gay is nothing to celebrate anymore, nor is it anything to be worried about either. I'll consider the gay pride parades to be a celebration of equal rights when there's a straight pride parade just so everything can be nice and "fair" and everyone can have their own little parade. Do you have any idea how much hate a straight pride parade would garner? How many protests there would be accusing the organizers of being homophobic bigots?

As for the inclusion of fictional characters into the parade, I don't have anything in particular against that...though I really enjoy Sesame Street's response to people urging them to make Burt and Ernie come out of the closet: "They're frickin' puppets, they don't HAVE a sexual orientation."

I'm not trying to be a hater here, all I'm saying is that being gay is not nearly as big of a deal as it was a decade or two or even half a century ago. The parades served a purpose once, much like how the marches during the civil rights movement served a purpose. But now to the straight community it seems like they're just rubbing it in.

DVS BSTrD:
Master Chief doesn't really support gay people, he just heard they were destroying the Covenant of marriage and wanted in on the action.

You are a terrible human being Devious, but that was very funny.

Can I get a warthog with Sarah Palin on it for Conservative Pride?

Just askin'.

DVS BSTrD:

*Begins glassing your region of the planet.*

And you were doing so well recently too...

Arkitext:
Had hoped this was some sort of official Bungie PR stunt, to try to limit the homophobia in their online games.

What a great idea that would be, eh?

Bungie is no longer involved with Halo. Now it's just Microsoft and 343 Industries (the MS subsidiary), one of the more openly supportive companies regarding gay rights..

omicron1:

Just askin'.

Conservatives haven't been oppressed for the last few decades.

omicron1:

Just askin'.

There's an anti-gay day? I thought conservatives just called that tuesday?

OhJohnNo:

omicron1:

Just askin'.

Just the last decade or so.

Worgen:

omicron1:

Just askin'.

Conservaphobic smears aren't cool, sir.
And if people think they are, that in itself is a major problem.

omicron1:

OhJohnNo:

omicron1:

Just askin'.

Not getting your way all the time =/= oppressed.

omicron1:

OhJohnNo:

omicron1:

Just askin'.

You really think that? You honestly think Conservatives in the last decade have been discriminated against at all, let alone on a comparable level to homosexuals?

omicron1:

Yes they are cool, although if so many of them stopped disguising bigotry as "values" it wouldn't be.

omicron1:

OhJohnNo:

omicron1:

Just askin'.

Worgen:

omicron1:

Just askin'.

I live in tx, I'm entitled. Soon as conservatives here stop being jackasses and trying to take away rights then I'll stop calling them out on it.

J Tyran:

omicron1:

Yes they are cool, although if so many of them stopped disguising bigotry as "values" it wouldn't be.

First problem: Calling values 'bigotry'. The argument being made is, basically, "my views are inherently better than yours so shut up you bigot." Which is not a valid argument.

Worgen:

omicron1:

OhJohnNo:

Worgen:

I live in tx, I'm entitled. Soon as conservatives here stop being jackasses and trying to take away rights then I'll stop calling them out on it.

You can't take away what hasn't been given. And letting people give new rights does not make people's opposition of giving those new rights less valid.

omicron1:

Worgen:

omicron1:

You can't take away what hasn't been given. And letting people give new rights does not make people's opposition of giving those new rights less valid.

I assume you have the same opinion towards the suffragettes then? Or is this one of the things where conservatives conveniently manage to find an exception when it affects themselves?

omicron1:

J Tyran:

omicron1:

First problem: Calling values 'bigotry'. The argument being made is, basically, "my views are inherently better than yours so shut up you bigot." Which is not a valid argument.

Worgen:

omicron1:

I see you haven't been following the state trying to do its damnedest to outlaw abortions without having to worry about the us supreme court slapping them. Plus the conservatives here gave us the gift of extreme political redistricting, with extreme spelled Xtreme.

Worgen:

omicron1:

J Tyran:

Worgen:

I see you haven't been following the state trying to do its damnedest to outlaw abortions without having to worry about the us supreme court slapping them. Plus the conservatives here gave us the gift of extreme political redistricting, with extreme spelled Xtreme.

So I need to step in here real quick and say something. Im from Texas. The bill trying to pass I agree with the 20 week limit, the surgery centers not so much so.

And... THERE IS NO GERYMANDERING. Holy crap, you are living in a -heavily conservative- state, its going to be mostly red in the political map. Not only that, but germandering is ILLEGAL and can get you in trouble with the FEDERAL government.

omicron1:

J Tyran:

omicron1:

Any view that opposes bigotry is superior, anyone that opposes bigotry is inherently better. Thats a more valid argument than "people should be denied the same rights as others because Jesus told us so!" and trying to claim the moral high ground.

thethird0611:

Worgen:

omicron1:

So you also agree that a state this huge should only have 4 places that can perform abortions?

Yeah it does have a ton of gerrymandering, most of the district I'm in is in a whole other city.

So I need to step in here real quick and say something. Im from Texas. The bill trying to pass I agree with the 20 week limit, the surgery centers not so much so.

And... THERE IS NO GERYMANDERING. Holy crap, you are living in a -heavily conservative- state, its going to be mostly red in the political map. Not only that, but germandering is ILLEGAL and can get you in trouble with the FEDERAL government.

Worgen:

thethird0611:

Worgen:

So you also agree that a state this huge should only have 4 places that can perform abortions?

Yeah it does have a ton of gerrymandering, most of the district I'm in is in a whole other city.

Well, good of you to NOT read what I say saying, let me say it again (oh, and this is why no conservative wants to 'debate' with liberals on here.

"the surgery centers not so much so." As in, the bill says that the only way to do abortions is at the 5 surgery centers in the state. Do you even know about the bill?

No, there is not gerrymandering (which I spelled wrong before), the main cities are all blue, the rest is red.

Sorry, you are trying to make it seem like Texas is more liberal than it seems. Its not.

And you know what, if you think Texas IS gerrymandering, PLEASE, for the love of God, PLEASE, go tell the federal government. If you seriously think we are breaking the law through gerrymandering, the federal government would intervene and stop it.

How in living FUCKS name has this turned from some heart warming item about equal rights into everyone bashing everyone else's political opinion?

Passive aggressiveness on this place...

thethird0611:

Worgen:

thethird0611:

Well, good of you to NOT read what I say saying, let me say it again (oh, and this is why no conservative wants to 'debate' with liberals on here.

"the surgery centers not so much so." As in, the bill says that the only way to do abortions is at the 5 surgery centers in the state. Do you even know about the bill?

No, there is not gerrymandering (which I spelled wrong before), the main cities are all blue, the rest is red.

Sorry, you are trying to make it seem like Texas is more liberal than it seems. Its not.

And you know what, if you think Texas IS gerrymandering, PLEASE, for the love of God, PLEASE, go tell the federal government. If you seriously think we are breaking the law through gerrymandering, the federal government would intervene and stop it.

I find this image of Texas hilarious :D

Those poor people in that district!

Pilkingtube:

thethird0611:

Worgen:

I find this image of Texas hilarious :D

Those poor people in that district!

1. Seriously, for the love of God, if you think there is gerrymandering, go to the federal government. Seriously, if there was, they would intervene... the only thing is, there isnt.

First off, get me the demographic changes off the districts. From what I see, those are perfectly good districts since it incorporates the SPARSE populations down the major interstates, since, you know, Texas is mainly FARMLAND and COUNTRY. Even our towns that some districts incorporate dont have enough population to make a... I would call a 'real' district.

Your photo is actually wrong at the moment for 2004. For one, the orange district is 2 districts made to look like each other. The upper portion is only in Austin, the other portion goes through small towns going south, since the population is SMALL down there.

Another point, the reason the pink portion is like that, is that there is very little population going out I-10 to Houston, so incorporating Austin into it is fine. The denseness of the portion of Austin most likely is greater than the rest of the district.

You have no idea why they redistrict that way, yet you think its gerrymandering. Just because you want to see it that way doesnt make it that way.

Worgen:

omicron1:

Just askin'.

*Looks at calender*

Wait a minute......... TODAY IS TUESDAY. Yay anti-gay day.....

So if the color scheme for gay is the rainbow, is anti-gay this?

Mother of all snips

Well somebody got up on the wrong side of bed this morning, cheer up fellow!

Weird since the most common insult heard whilst playing halo is probably "you are a faggot".

But seriously Warthog is the first thing that comes into my mind when I think gay.

RJ 17:
Sorry guys, but I still don't see how "equal rights for everyone" translates into having a yearly parade celebrating your frickin' sexuality. No. One. Cares. Anymore. The fact that most polls show the majority of the country is now in favor of gay marriage and the striking down of that DOMA decision prove that being gay is nothing to celebrate anymore, nor is it anything to be worried about either. I'll consider the gay pride parades to be a celebration of equal rights when there's a straight pride parade just so everything can be nice and "fair" and everyone can have their own little parade. Do you have any idea how much hate a straight pride parade would garner? How many protests there would be accusing the organizers of being homophobic bigots?

As for the inclusion of fictional characters into the parade, I don't have anything in particular against that...though I really enjoy Sesame Street's response to people urging them to make Burt and Ernie come out of the closet: "They're frickin' puppets, they don't HAVE a sexual orientation."

I'm not trying to be a hater here, all I'm saying is that being gay is not nearly as big of a deal as it was a decade or two or even half a century ago. The parades served a purpose once, much like how the marches during the civil rights movement served a purpose. But now to the straight community it seems like they're just rubbing it in.

The reason we need to have a pride parade is because in parts of the US (and like countries) as well as many other countries, LGBT people are still persecuted. Hell, being gay is punishable by death in several countries. The reason we don't need a straight pride parade is because straightness is already heavily celebrated in the US. Not in the exact same way, but look at how many main characters in media are straight, and how many queer people in media are shown as normal and happy (the answer is very few).

You say it feels like "rubbing it in" (whatever "it" is), but the difference is that gay pride results in nothing but some supposedly "accepting" people getting annoyed, whereas straight pride results in bullying, abuse, and murder.

On topic, here's wishing I wasn't out of town for the parade! Would have loved to have seen the creators of a huge franchise show their support.

thethird0611:

Worgen:

thethird0611:

Here you go, have some gerrymandering article http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/post/the-gops-strong-texas-gerrymander/2011/06/02/AGP56VHH_blog.html and here is the fed telling tx to cut that shit out http://www.austinchronicle.com/news/2011-11-11/texas-ordered-to-redraw-maps/ We still ended up with gerrymandered districts, just not quite as badly as they were before but still pretty bad.

and here is some news about the abortion thing, I misspoke earlier, its not 4 clinics state wide, its 6, my bad.
http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/texas-legislature-debates-anti-abortion-bill-things-watch/story?id=19549735#.UdNK4vm-J84

Nice one, 343. That's a nice move, and respect to you for it. Good job! *polite applause*

RJ 17:

Now I disagree with you but I don't want to get into a flame war so here is my picture of a straight pride parade
"Wooo! I like vaginas! I'm going to drink a lot of beer and then have lots of sex! I want to have sex with all da women! Yeah I jack off to Megan Fox everyday!"
Though we should have a bisexual pride parade I think

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or