Final Fantasy XIV Beta Hits One Million Registrations

Final Fantasy XIV Beta Hits One Million Registrations

Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn Promo Image

The original may have been poorly received, but players are flocking to the remake in droves.

Many Final Fantasy fans enjoy enthusiastic debates about their beloved series. They'll discuss which classic game was the best, or which recent entry was the worst, but everybody generally agrees on one thing: Final Fantasy XIV was all kinds of awful. The MMO first launched in 2010, suffered the withering gaze of reviewers, and ultimately closed its doors in 2012. (Compare this to Final Fantasy XI, which launched in 2003 and is still being played.) All told, this makes the prospects for Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn, rather uncertain by comparison. Still, gamers may be a more forgiving bunch than we suspected after all; Square Enix has revealed that one million players are currently registered for the new FFXIV beta, a full two months before the finished game reaches store shelves.

The news must certainly be encouraging for Square Enix, since from all appearances the company was working hard to address the original's missteps. "Fans around the world were expecting something great, and we feel like we let them down and we lost their trust," director Naoki Yoshida said at last year's Gamescom. "To regain that trust we have to show them we're still behind the project, and that Square Enix is dedicated to making something that's great ... In the 25-year history of the Final Fantasy series, there hasn't been a Final Fantasy that has failed. We can't - we just can't - let this game end in failure."

If you'd like to see how A Realm Reborn is coming along, Square Enix is still taking beta applications through its website. Otherwise, the completed game will be made available to subscribers on August 27, 2013.

Source: Destructoid, via Digital Spy

I am one of these registrants. Totally useless as their stupid patcher won't work... Every time I update I get a error that makes me have to restart the download, thank god I don't have a cap on how much I can download otherwise I would be screwed for as many times as I've tried to downloaded this beta.

I have high hopes for this version, I bought the first versions collector edition and the game looks good. But this whole beta mess is leaving a sour taste in my mouth

I'm one of those registered and I've played the beta. You have to wonder though of that many who registered for this, are going to stay around for the final product. Square-enix pumped a ton of money into this project not only to release it but to basically make the game a second time. Thats gotta be a lot of money. If they can't consistently get like a million subscribers for a solid year it's going to bite them hard.

I've been a part of the beta...and it makes me wish that XI wasn't so archaic and slow these days. I mean, ARR is just fine and perfectly functional (especially compared to vanilla launch), but it's WoW: Final Fantasy Edition. One thing I do like though is the efforts they've made through NPC interaction and music to try and make it feel like a legitimate entry in the Final Fantasy series as opposed to being the "second online Final Fantasy". I'm not sure I'd pay $15/mo really.

its a drastic improvement over the original i may play it when its out of beta if its nice to my visa debit card

It's still got a subscription fee so no dice.
If it were B2P or F2P I'd gladly give it a shot now that it's apparently not garbage though.

Finally a game that is likely to stay with the P2P model other than World of Warcraft. It's like every F2P and B2P game I've tried fails to hold up beyond a week or so. Why people are for the cash grab models is beyond me...

I'm not one of the 1,000,000 but if they really have address the issues that made the original FF15 a joke, then it should be given a legit second chance.

Colt47:
Finally a game that is likely to stay with the P2P model other than World of Warcraft. It's like every F2P and B2P game I've tried fails to hold up beyond a week or so. Why people are for the cash grab models is beyond me...

You mean like ToR was gonna? Only reason WoW gets away with it is cause of its HUGE user base 9-10 million some odd people STILL paying to play with only minor signs of a down hill slide visible, means they don't have to go F2P for a good long time.

I pretty much guarantee when WoW finally starts to go into its LONG OVER DUE nose dive it'll go F2P.

I've played the last two Beta-Rounds, and I have to say, the game is a vast improvement over the vanilla launch. While I do agree with DrunkonEstus, it is a bit of a WoW-clone, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that's a bad thing.

The only class I've played so far is the Conjurer (mix between Black and White mage), and I wish the class had more variety of spells to use at lower levels (for the first 10 levels you're spamming a single attack while refreshing one DoT).

The NPC interaction is way better then most other MMOs I've played so far, the only ones that do it better is TOR (for obvious reasons), and the recent Legacy of Romulus content for STO.

They also need to improve on showing players where things are, especially where Crafting trainers are for example, First time I went into ARR, I literally got lost for 20 min trying to find something. As it is right now, if you're objective is on a different map, there's no indication on your current map showing you the exit to where you need to go to complete an objective.

Lunar Templar:
I'm not one of the 1,000,000 but if they really have address the issues that made the original FF15 a joke, then it should be given a legit second chance.

Colt47:

You mean like ToR was gonna? Only reason WoW gets away with it is cause of its HUGE user base 9-10 million some odd people STILL paying to play with only minor signs of a down hill slide visible, means they don't have to go F2P for a good long time.

I pretty much guarantee when WoW finally starts to go into its LONG OVER DUE nose dive it'll go F2P.

Oh yes, TOR. The game that the second things started going down hill the entire investor board went up into a frenzied panic and forced the company to make it into a F2P / P2P hybrid.

Colt47:

Lunar Templar:

Colt47:

Oh yes, TOR. The game that the second things started going down hill the entire investor board went up into a frenzied panic and forced the company to make it into a F2P / P2P hybrid.

kinda not the point, they said 'we're never going free to play' and then did. The fact Tor is just 'WoW in space with more story and VO work' doesn't help it any.

Lunar Templar:

Colt47:

Lunar Templar:

kinda not the point, they said 'we're never going free to play' and then did. The fact Tor is just 'WoW in space with more story and VO work' doesn't help it any.

Yeah, the problem it ran into was that they invested too much into the voice work. If they tried to expand on content with the way it was set up, they would have to pay for even more voice work on top of development costs. That and they picked Star Wars: A franchise whose best games were Rogue Squadron, Jedi Knight, Dark Forces, Tie Fighter, and Star Wars Galaxies. Out of all the games they wanted to emulate, they picked World of Warcraft, a game that isn't even designed to emulate a typical Star Wars Universe.

I've played the Beta for FFXIV ARR long enough to get the fresh car smell off it, and it really isn't like World of Warcraft beyond having a GCD system and using the tank / healer / damage dealer trinity typical to World based MMOs since Everquest. I've actually liked everything I've seen and already got it on pre-order. The open beta will be out at the start of August so I recommend at least giving the game a shot if you like World based MMO games.

I've been playing in the beta, and I must say, I am a believer. Whether or not it will be able to compete with the big dogs even with a subscription fee, it's way too early to say but between being out not only worldwide but also for consoles, it could go ether way. It's also worth nothing that the game will be cheaper than most new games and even will have a sightly lower subscription fee.

I love this remake. I played the original from alpha until launch and it was terrible in every aspect of the word. This remade version is like an homage to all things FF and it is a true FF fans game I think. At least for me and I've been playing them since the NES days. Really dig it.

Colt47:

Lunar Templar:

Colt47:

Yeah, the problem it ran into was that they invested too much into the voice work. If they tried to expand on content with the way it was set up, they would have to pay for even more voice work on top of development costs. That and they picked Star Wars: A franchise whose best games were Rogue Squadron, Jedi Knight, Dark Forces, Tie Fighter, and Star Wars Galaxies. Out of all the games they wanted to emulate, they picked World of Warcraft, a game that isn't even designed to emulate a typical Star Wars Universe.

Yeah, not sure why MMOs need VO work now though, sure the over all quality of it is better, but i'm not sure an MMO is really 'in need' of quality voice work

I've played the Beta for FFXIV ARR long enough to get the fresh car smell off it, and it really isn't like World of Warcraft beyond having a GCD system and using the tank / healer / damage dealer trinity typical to World based MMOs since Everquest. I've actually liked everything I've seen and already got it on pre-order. The open beta will be out at the start of August so I recommend at least giving the game a shot if you like World based MMO games.

I probably will if a remember when open beta rolls around, wanted to try FF11 but no trail kinda killed that.

I registered for the beta, but I can't figure out where the download client is. Their site is just stupid. Does anyone know where it is?

I won't lie, my favourite part of Final Fantasy XIV is the lore and the races. That was my case in 1.0.

Sadly, I'm not even a part of this Beta. So there are clearly far more interested. I really hope Final Fantasy XIV really does improve enough to keep people around, though. Because no matter what, I can't put up with playing an MMORPG that is empty and not populated by anyone.

I really hope that Final Fantasy XIV makes up things and improves the game to be a success. Even if just a moderate success. Because I really like the lore and the races of Final Fantasy XIV.

I signed up for an invite during the E3/PS3 offer, then got invited to the Euro beta. Спасибо! I've been waiting more than a week now for a response from customer service, but no dice. It was a f-up big enough to make me cancel my preorder, though. I'd hate to have them ship me a copy from a different region, you know?

Just to prove I am not always so grumpy, I am enjoying fee-free Neverwinter! :D

I still have my FFXI account, and I signed up for the XIV beta. Let's face it, I'm hooked on FF.

Terramax:
I registered for the beta, but I can't figure out where the download client is. Their site is just stupid. Does anyone know where it is?

I believe it was somewhere in the actual forums. I remember the hassle trying to get in but the forums were down for maintenance, so I had to wait before I could actually load the darn thing. I think there is a link in the e-mail sent.

The real question is out of those million regs how many were the "faithful" still playing through the rebuilding phase and how many are gold sellers prepping multi box accounts to maximize the "early" profit.

I tried the game in beta a while ago and even though it looks "nice and pretty" it's just plain boring. It's WoW with FF looks and worse combat (again like so many other games in that area).

Just wait for it. 1 month after the game goes life players will move away in droves again and will be a huge financial disaster for the devs. Wasted time and opportunity.

I don't even see a solid target audience for this game...

dragongit:

Terramax:

I believe it was somewhere in the actual forums. I remember the hassle trying to get in but the forums were down for maintenance, so I had to wait before I could actually load the darn thing. I think there is a link in the e-mail sent.

Many thanks for that. Downloading as we speak. Man, why are such things a hassle sometimes?

Terramax:

dragongit:

Terramax:

Many thanks for that. Downloading as we speak. Man, why are such things a hassle sometimes?

I assume it's because they don't want everyone to just have access to the client and overload the server when they might not be ready for it. Putting up the client in a place you can only access with their permission. That way they can funnel the beta testers and get their servers ready for open beta/ full release.

Terramax:

dragongit:

Terramax:

That's how SE operates. Between stuff like that, refusal to take customers' money and their absolutely abominable customer service it's a wonder they can keep an MMO online at all. No matter how good or bad their game design is, SquareEnix is not a company you should trust to actually run an MMO.

It took me 3 years of playing FFXI to finally accept that fact.

Honesty, I was a long time fan of FF, but XIII slapped me in the face and then came XIV as the last nail in the coffin. I totally stopped having hope for the series and eluded any news about it. But now I randomly stumble on the revamp news on http://mmo-play.com/ and I have to say that I'm hopeful again. The new Fate system seems better, as well as the Lodestone. Not gonna get too excited until I try it out though haha, but it's cool that they are trying to make it better!:)

I'm really enjoying it, having played 3 weekends of beta now. I never played the original. I played FFXI until WoW came out, though.

This past weekend, by sister and I played for about 5-6 hours and got our characters to level 10 (partied). We rushed through the content, didn't stop to read the quests and were in a starting area I didn't want to start in, so we would be less spoiled for the area we want to play in. I have to say I didn't enjoy it as much as the first two weeks, as below:

The first weekend, I made a few characters and looked around, but didn't do much at all - I was quite busy. I loved looking around the town, I was just blown away by the detail. I got to about level 4 on a character and then just basically walked around and looked. The world is simply stunning.

The second weekend, I had that Friday off work as well, so I made one character and played her for two days, probably 10 hours total. I thought I wouldn't want to start in that area as I initially didn't like the layout (Limsa Lominsa), but I ended up falling for the place. I don't like Gridiania at all, I can't see the sky. I live on the prairies, so if I can't see the sky even in a game, I feel uncomfortable. Ul'Dah is nice, but I can tell ti's going to be the main city for people, and I like quiet.

So, Limsa. It's got a bit of a piratey feel, but it also has a really good story, for what I played. After I left town, I was sent out to the farms and orchards to give people a hand out there... because after the cataclysm (the events that ended the original FFXIV), most seafaring peoples (pirates included), couldn't sail the seas anymore as they're too dangerous... so they're trying to become farmers. The struggles they were having with trying to become good, honest people were really endearing. The friction between different groups felt real - some people wee fine with one another, some weren't. Others knew that had to change to live a good life. Some had just said fuck it and were trying to be priates on land. It was a lot of fun.

And beautiful. I can't get over how amazing it looks. ... I am running it on max settings, but, still. My sister's playing it on her laptop and it's still gorgeous.

We may not play much until open beta starts, as characters during this phase of beta will be deleted, but we can hardly talk about anything else. We've planned what classes we'll level first and where, and are going to take it really, really slow because they've really, really outdone themselves this time.

Levelling isn't too bad - it can get hard at times, so you may not want to go out and blitz through every quest rgiht away. There are so many quests (and more importantly, quest chains) that you don't have to grind at all, but some quests can throw a curve and be quite hard, so you have to stop and strategize, even below level 10. You don't get a lot of abilities, so your bar won't be filled with 20 different skills and spells, but you get a nice rotation going. Later in levels you actually do physically ahve to move and avoid attacks and such, akin to Tera.

You can solo to max level, I believe, aside from dungeons/instances that are part of the main story. Also your class has special fights/events that are instanced to you alone (possibly groups later, I've only gotten to 10).

I was never bored while playing, and I often just stopped to pan the camera around.

Voice acting will apparently be implimented for main storylines in the original game. I would like it if the NPCs moved around more and had schedules - maybe they will, I don't know. But a day and night pass in an hour or so real time, so I don't know if it's possible.

Anyway... keep an eye out for phase 4 beta, which should hopefully start before August (but probably not), and give it a try. I've already got mine pre-ordered.

August 27th?! oh man thats soon! Aaaah! I'm not prepared! WHAT DO!?!

I'll probably pay 3 more months of lotro then get into this during winter when I hate going out, that way I miss the crowded blitz. May as well buy the game though, I will DEFINITELY play it at some point.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here