EA's Gibeau: Soon Mobile Graphics Will Rival Current Consoles

Pages PREV 1 2

correction: they already do

Doom972:
By the time that happens, next-gen capabilities will be the standard, so tablets will stay behind.

Againt, I have to ask: Who's the target audience for this? The majority of tablet users don't care about games with flashy graphics anyway, and gamers use PC/Consoles/dedicated handhelds.

is the next gen capabilities a standrt now? no? thenm this is false.

fix-the-spade:
So basically, console gamers are going to find themselves in the same boat as PC gamers have been in the last eight or so years.

erm what? how does being graphically inferior relate to PCs? they have been graphically superior during their whole existence. you dont make sense. make sense!

PoolCleaningRobot:
Strategy games and turn based rpgs would work great on touch screens

that woudl be true if touchscreens would always click the same spot you do..... try prioritizing that one small but deadly enemy in a horde of moving large enemies, with a bulky finger on your screen, tell me how it goes.

surg3n:
The only handheld that I thought had some potential for FPS games is the PS-Vita, and what EA titles do we have on that?

thats probably because FPS titles on hnadhelds often win the nomination of a "dev team that wanted to work on PC the most"

Vaccine:
Cool, I'll believe it when I see it, but it's nothing but words right now.

If it really is boasting that kind of tech I am scared at the size and weight of the battery required for that, or worse yet, the disgusting price tag on some of the next gen tablets when and if they come out.

current battery complectation is a pity state. i woudl love to have double the size of my smartphone if that meant double the battery life. sadly, no such option is even available "because it must be small, herp derp". i think that fact that people still get sold stuff with batteries that get drained in 3 hours is insulting. besides battery technology does progress forward currently, in the last 5 years double in power/weight.

RandV80:
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that in the long run smart phones are going to end up as a fad. I mean yeah it's some cool technology and all the young kids these days are really into them, but while they work as a phone it's a rather poor and limited platform for your basic computing needs. Tiny screen, poor input, expensive hardware and data...

i got a smart phone. the intention on buying it was calls and messages. but the "game while sitting in a bus" aspect is a bonus that i like. i would never gave on a smart phone at home, but the fact that i got a small protable computer on my pocket that i can use to browse internet adn whatnot in lcoations where normally there is no such service has asaved me a couple times. just dont expect mobiel gaming to be the new hardcore thing..

Somebody give EA a medal. This year they've really turned their thought process around. The goal is still 'make lots of money,' but they seem to be doing everything lately like they have a brain and are using it.

"Same ingredients, completely different meal," Gibeau concludes. "That's kind of the way we think about it."

^This is called being rational.

Raiyan 1.0:
Yes, but they will still be using shitty touch controls that are on the screen, obstructing the player's view.

This is why I bought one of these Moga Pro controllers. It makes it so you do not have to use the shitty on screen controls and for me it makes it so I can play longer too. No MASSIVE power drain from my tablet because I am always touching the screen.

DO NOT GET THAT NYKO CRAP CONTROLLER! I bought one of the Nykos about 8 months ago and the APP is still in Beta stage, something they never mentioned on the box. And they have not added a SINGLE game to the app since I bought the damn thing. Moga is adding new games every week.

I bought a Moga and gave that Nyko hunk of junk to my 1 year old to "play" with while I am playing a game.

OT: Yeah because the new tablets and phones coming out are starting to nip at the speed and power heels of the current consoles. Or if you spend enough surpass them. Problem is games like that still have a shitty effect on battery life, because better graphics = more CPU/GPU demand= more power demand on battery.

Mobile gaming is what real gamers do when they can not get to a console or a PC. Casuals are already happy with the games we have now and would not be the real market for the games they are talking about.

slash2x:

Raiyan 1.0:
Yes, but they will still be using shitty touch controls that are on the screen, obstructing the player's view.

This is why I bought one of these Moga Pro controllers. It makes it so you do not have to use the shitty on screen controls and for me it makes it so I can play longer too. No MASSIVE power drain from my tablet because I am always touching the screen.

That actually looks rather nice. And should give handhelds a run for their money.

The problem, as usual, is support. As long as they aren't ubiquitous, the majority of devs are going to continue to develop for shitty touch controls.

Problem is games like that still have a shitty effect on battery life, because better graphics = more CPU/GPU demand= more power demand on battery.

Good point, almost forgot about current battery limitations.

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here