Final Fantasy VII is Now on Steam (But Not in Japan)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Final Fantasy VII is Now on Steam (But Not in Japan)

Final Fantasy VII's Steam release comes with steamworks features, such as cloud saves (no pun intended).

About a year ago, Square Enix released a PC remastering of what many fans consider the "best" Final Fantasy game: Final Fantasy VII, on its official online store. The game is now finally available on Steam, and comes with a whole suite of Steamworks features, such as Steam achievements and "Cloud" (har har) saves. It's also, somewhat ironically, unavailable for purchase in Japan.

You'll be able to unlock 36 Steam achievements, and play the game with a controller in Steam's "Big Picture Mode" for just $11.99. A "Character Booster Tool" is also included, that allows players to tweak HP and MP bars of their characters.

Early reports suggest that the Steam version still requires you to log in to Square's servers to play, meaning you'll have to deal with a double-dose of DRM.

For a quick recap, the remastered PC version contains:

• Much higher resolution textures
  • The addition of a Z-buffer, so no more shaky polygons like the PSX version
  • Support for 16:9 resolution (but the image will be stretched)
  • Support for most modern machines without any issues (unlike the previous release by EIDOS in 1998)

If you're looking to get the most out of your Final Fantasy experience, a helpful reddit user has pointed gamers to this excellent guide to Final Fantasy VII modding, which while designed for the 2012 version of the game, should work fine with the new Steam version.

Is Final Fantasy VII the best Final Fantasy? It's certainly the most recognizable one.

Source: Steam (Thanks Reddit!)

Cloud saves, I spend
Or I would if I had a Steam account.

Thanks for the heads-up. Just bought it.

Hope it comes to GOG too.

I've never played any of the FF games. Might as well give this one a try, seeing how much it's praised by everyone including my grandmother.

Adam Jensen:
I've never played any of the FF games. Might as well give this one a try, seeing how much it's praised by everyone including my grandmother.

Judging from your previous posts, you seem more of a story guy, so you'll probably find FF6 more interesting. Then again, why Square hasn't placed 1-6 in one package and as PC release is beyond me...

mechalynx:
Thanks for the heads-up. Just bought it.

Hope it comes to GOG too.

Considering the 2012 version had Se cureROM I doubt Sqenix will oblige.

Basically it's the same as the version on the square enix site except I can re-download it if I accidentally delete it / accidentally may hard drive? I'm in.

Dr.Awkward:

Adam Jensen:

Judging from your previous posts, you seem more of a story guy, so you'll probably find FF6 more interesting. Then again, why Square hasn't placed 1-6 in one package and as PC release is beyond me...

I was just about to chime in and say the exact same thing. 6 is the apex of Final Fantasy, at least for me.

But I can tell you why they never put them out in collected format.
"Because if they did that, they couldn't keep metering them out one at a time to the handheld markets" said Paul with a cynical tone of voice.

Maybe I am missing something, but, just who are they trying to sell this to? The people that have played this game will either:
A: Still have the game
B: Not interested in getting it

Just who are they trying to sell this to. Good luck selling it to someone in there teens.

kiri2tsubasa:
Maybe I am missing something, but, just who are they trying to sell this to? The people that have played this game will either:

Just who are they trying to sell this to. Good luck selling it to someone in there teens.

C: People who still have the game but like the convenience of Steam.
D: People who forgot about the game and want to experience it again.
E: People who never got a chance to play it and want to see what all the fuss is about.
F: People who buy stuff without looking.

I still have the CDs somewhere, and a working PS2, but I think I'd like to try it on my PC. Point is, people will buy it and there's effectively zero cost to putting it on Steam, therefore doing so is pure profit.

Steven Bogos:

Early reports suggest that the Steam version still requires you to log in to Square's servers to play, meaning you'll have to deal with a double-dose of DRM.

You know what? I don't care. I made exceptions for Red Faction Guerilla and Dark Souls. FF7 definitely deserves my attention again. If it sells well we'll probably see more JRPGs on the PC soon.

Scribblesense:

kiri2tsubasa:

E: People who never got a chance to play it and want to see what all the fuss is about.

I still have the CDs somewhere, and a working PS2, but I think I'd like to try it on my PC. Point is, people will buy it and there's effectively zero cost to putting it on Steam, therefore doing so is pure profit.

G: People who had a friend who lost a disc, lent them said disc and can no longer find said disc...

Now give me FFVIII for the same reason >_<

kiri2tsubasa:

You're missing a huge market: People who have heard for years about how awesome FFVII is but have never had a console on which to play it. See also: KotOR 1 & 2 have sold quite a few copies on Steam, and Battlefront 2 sold a ton of copies not too long ago.

Also: It's currently the top-selling game on Steam, so I'd say they guessed correctly on there being a market.

Morti:

Scribblesense:

kiri2tsubasa:

G: People who had a friend who lost a disc, lent them said disc and can no longer find said disc...

H: People who may or may not have the original PS1 version but would like to play it at a higher resolution with better textures (either via the included touch-ups or community mods). This game has NOT aged well graphically and it's at the point where low low-poly low-detail 3D of the PS1 version can get in the way of the overall experience. (FF VIII and FF IX also suffer from this, but they don't have this problem anywhere near to the extent that FF VII does...)

Morti:

Scribblesense:

kiri2tsubasa:

I lost 5, count em' FIVE of the original Sims Expansion packs that way

OT: Well I was planning of doing stuff this summer (getting a job, learning a skill, maybe exercise) but who cares now.

Revolutionary:
Basically it's the same as the version on the square enix site except I can re-download it if I accidentally delete it / accidentally may hard drive? I'm in.

Same here

Nope sorry. Not wortha double dose of DRM. Some how I doubt this will sell well. Anyone who was that big a fan and was that curious more than likely already ran the emulator version...which is the same. You say you didn't; sure i believe you...no really, I am totally in belief.

Higher resolution? What's the point of higher res on ps1 era 3d graphics?

Face it, this is more or less proof square has run out of ideas and are just trying to make you buy the same stuff again.

I'm going to make this as clear as I can:

THE SECONDARY DRM IS NOT DRM AT ALL.

The game requires an online connection on first run. Go into settings in the launcher, disable cloud saving, and it'll never need a connection again. I think this was more a case of poor design (need a connection to turn off connection requirement) than intentional DRM. The actual DRM from the 2012 release, namely SecuROM, is nowhere to be seen here.

P.S. Thanks

P.P.S. They messed up the music again. Download and install "FF7 Ogg Music" from this page to fix it.

If they had worked in all the great graphical mods that have been around for years, then maybe I'd be interested, but I could just take my FF7 disks and mod it manually without the requirements of steam. I'd only get behind the steam release if it added convinenience and it clearly doesn't.

It was really good for it's time but when I honestly sit down and think about it I have really no interest in playing through it again.

Serious though. Paycheck tomorrow. Buying it right away.

Yeah i have to buy this.

Thank you escapist: your reviews, previews, and advertising is ever valuable and squeenix owes you a shiny gp for the purchase i am about to make.

captcha: look before crossing BECAUSE THE EMERALD WEAPON IS UP IN THIS SHIT

Question: There was that great knights of the round move, yes?
Is there a chance to mod it so the obnoxious summoning movies may be shortened?

Anyone know if this Steam version has an improved translation? I'm not a PC guy and I still own the PSX original in Box, but if this PC Version is much better than the PSX edition I might consider buying it.

Incidentally, if this version is so improved from the original, why don't they just put this updated version on PSN or something?

I already own the PSone, PSN and old PC versions of this game and I'm still somewhat tempted to buy this.

Maybe if it goes on sale, for now it can go in my wishlist.

kiri2tsubasa:

Someone who has never played it? Or someone who played it briefly, years ago? Or someone who's copy is lost/broken?

I'm playing FFI right now because I'm interested in seeing every FF in sequence. So I'm gonna buy this to play when I get to up to it.

Adam Jensen:

Just make sure to get mods that replace the music. I hear it uses the same General MIDI music as the original PC release, which means that the final boss music lacks it's iconic choir. As well as just generally sounding shit on most people's systems.

ScrabbitRabbit:

Adam Jensen:

Just make sure to get mods that replace the music. I hear it uses the same General MIDI music as the original PC release, which means that the final boss music lacks it's iconic choir. As well as just generally sounding shit on most people's systems.

All people's systems, in fact. They took the MIDI from the 1998 release, ran it through a standard General MIDI patchset (I think the default MS one included with Windows), and recorded that; now we've got streaming versions of crappy MIDIs.

P.S. Thanks

Covarr:

All people's systems, in fact. They took the MIDI from the 1998 release, ran it through a standard General MIDI patchset (I think the default MS one included with Windows), and recorded that; now we've got streaming versions of crappy MIDIs.

P.S. Thanks

Wait, so basically, they're using full audio files to play General MIDI quality music?

All of my what.

Ew. But in the tradition of PC gaming, theres a fix for that.

Woot.

yeah, should probably also point to the steam board for that game if you want your music back

kiri2tsubasa:

They're selling it to people like me, who was just in the shower the other day thinking "Man, why'd I ever trade my PC version of FF7 to Brian for his PSX version? I wish there was a PC HD remake that I could buy..." I'm 30, I make okay money, and I think that my past was a lot better than my present. I'd LOVE to play through this game again. Even still, can they make a truly remastered version already? Just tweak the Advent Children character models and lots of the work would already be done. Then it's really just landscapes and enemies.

Bluestorm83:
Even still, can they make a truly remastered version already? Just tweak the Advent Children character models and lots of the work would already be done. Then it's really just landscapes and enemies.

Yes please, I'd really like to play FF7 but it's so ugly I know I'll never get through it.

eh ....

Give FF6 the same kinda face lift they gave to FF4, the 3d one one the DS, then, we'll talk. Other wise, it really doesn't look all that much better, or better enough for me to want to throw money at a game I already have, and haven't touched in years.

And give FF9 a touch up to, it could use a little extra clean up texture wise I think.

Morti:

Scribblesense:

kiri2tsubasa:

whatever you do, dont look for the PC version, I tried to do a LP over it but it would crash almost every 10 minutes.

reinstalling, cleaning the disks, slaughtering a goat to the gaming gods, yelling at my PC to work right, nothing helped.

So maybe now with VII on steam, it will be more stable than VIII.

While I'm pleased that they're updating the title and releasing it on PC via Steam, I have to say that I'm less than impressed. There are so many other Final Fantasy (and other Square Enix titles - I'd probably have an aneurism if they released an updated, high res texture version of Xenogears on PC!) games that could really benefit from this treatment.

Final Fantasy III's "3D remake" version is one of those that they've done well. Originally on the Nintendo DS, and eventually coming to iOS, Android, and Ouya etc.. this is a good paradigm. How about just bringing it to PC?

Final Fantasy IV is a fan favorite and I'd love to see the "3D, Nintendo DS" version, which I believe has the most extra content of any IV version, also brought to PC. Preferably, with options for Japanese vocals - I had to use a customized "undub" ROM in order to access them for the DS version. There is also "FFIV - The After Years", originally released for WiiWare (after JP cell phones) , which I would love to see remade in the same style as the "3D, Nintendo DS" version, which continues the FFIV saga. A Final Fantasy IV version for PC with high res polygon updates, and The After Years remade in a similar image, would definitely sell.

Then comes "The big one" Final Fantasy VI. If Square could put the time and effort of creating a "3d polygon" version of VI, with the better translated version of the JP script (as opposed to the US Final Fantasy III translation), with gameplay enhancements of both the Gameboy Advanced version and the Playstation 1 "FF Collection" version, it would be an absolute goldmine (affordably priced, of course). This cannot be a halfass attempt though, but it would be a MAJOR improvement just the same way the 3D polygon with vocal version of IV was a great improvement and upgraded the experience for a whole new generation of fans and caused celebration amongst old ones!

Final Fantasy VIII is one of the few with a PC version and like VII it deserves a similar update. I'd love to see some gameplay improvements as well, especially regarding the draw/junction system and more. One of my favorites for the reason it is one of the most controversial in the West - it is a Japanese-style love story, which has different cultural context than what many players were expecting.

Finally, Final Fantasy XII deserves an upgraded PC version. The acclaimed end to the series on PS2, I'd love to see the upgrades of the International Zodiac Job System edition applied to the PC version, along with an option for Japanese audio and more.

I'm a big proponent of all console titles being released on PC, so this is a good move. However, I'd like to see even more brought to light.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here