GOG Summer Sale Wraps Up With 24-Hour Grand Finale

GOG Summer Sale Wraps Up With 24-Hour Grand Finale

GOG 2013 Summer Sale Finale image

GOG is wrapping up its 2013 No DRM Summer Sale with a 24-hour blowout that collects all the daily bundles in one place.

If you've somehow managed to miss GOG's big 2013 summer sale, you've got one last chance to score some really good games on the serious cheap. Individual titles and bundles are all up for grabs, nearly 500 of them at half-price and more than 150 with discounts of up to 85 percent.

Hotline Miami is three bucks. The Witcher 2 is six bucks. The Wadjet Eye Selection collection is nine bucks. The Definitive Dungeons and Dragons - that's Planescape: Torment, Baldur's Gate 1 and 2, Icewind Dale 1 and 2, Neverwinter Nights 1 and 2, Temple of Elemental Evil, Demon Stone and Dragonshard - is 21 bucks. And if you still haven't got FTL: Faster Than Light, it's two-fifty. Two-fiddy! That's crazy.

There's a lot more on the table than just that, but we don't have all day here. And I mean that literally - you have, in fact, just less than 24 hours to get in there and snag some bargoons. The GOG 2013 No DRM Summer Sale Grand Finale runs until 9 am EDT on July 5.

Source: GOG

Best place to buy FTL is on the official site http://www.ftlgame.com/

They give you a steam key AND a drm-free download. Also, using this, 90% of the money goes to the developers!

The GOG 2012 No DRM Summer Sale Grand Finale runs until 9 am EDT on July 5.

You mean the 2013 No DRM Summer Sale.

OT: I'm really glad that I signed up to GOG a couple of months ago, as I'd have missed some really great games.

Problem is that they dont support iDeal and PayPal takes an eternity to put money on.

Guess I'll have to wait for the Steam Sale.

So I've picked up FTL, Dungeon Keeper 2 and Planescape: Torment. May head back over there for a browse and see if there's anything that I might want. Although if I'm honest, I really should just brace for the Steam sale and focus on the games I've got, want to finish Planescape before I lose interest, although it's starting to grip me now the story is taking off.

King of Asgaard:
You mean the 2013 No DRM Summer Sale.

Indeed, thanks for the heads-up.

Still wish GOG would show their prices in pounds. Although $3 (or whatever it turns out to be - I honestly don't know if I pay in pounds or if it changes it to dollars and I end up paying conversion fees or what they do or AAARGH) for Pod (or more accurately, for somebody to set it up and get it working properly) is probably still a steal.

Does anybody know whether Telltale's Back to the Future series is worth getting? I loved Walking Dead, but not a big fan of the Back to the Future movies, therefore I'm on the fence about it right now.

Just back from GOG, absolutely delighted about this. I saw the "Definitive D&D sale" when it was up, but didn't realise at the time that it would only last a day and ended up missing my chance to get it. I was pretty peeved.

Though, I hope in the future that they reveal ahead of time what bundles they are going to sell, and when. I really don't have much time these days and hitting the internet every day just to make sure I wasn't missing something was a huge hassle.

BernardoOne:
Best place to buy FTL is on the official site http://www.ftlgame.com/

They give you a steam key AND a drm-free download. Also, using this, 90% of the money goes to the developers!

Fuck, I just signed-up and bought FTL off of gog.com.

And I use steam :'(

By some divine power I hope your post goes into the main article.

Damn that is so amazing, all of those bundles and games are awesome. I want them all. Too bad I am poor.

Thanks for the heads up. Not used GOG before, but have decided to bite the bullet and take a leap by downloading 2 of the old Tex Murphy games. Hope it's easy to get these games running, as I'm not good with these kinds of things.

Fallout 2 was the only game I was vaguely interested in getting and it never even went on sale once, you continue to disappoint me GOG.

Terramax:
Thanks for the heads up. Not used GOG before, but have decided to bite the bullet and take a leap by downloading 2 of the old Tex Murphy games.

That's how it starts. First you buy a game from GOG just once from a sale, then you start buying games the moment they're available! Happened twice in my first year in GOG already (NWN2, System Shock 2)

Terramax:
Hope it's easy to get these games running, as I'm not good with these kinds of things.

It shouldn't take much anything, GOG tweaks their games to work on modern machines. I've had to put more work on getting Steam games to run occasionally

Karoshi:
Does anybody know whether Telltale's Back to the Future series is worth getting? I loved Walking Dead, but not a big fan of the Back to the Future movies, therefore I'm on the fence about it right now.

If you aren't a huge fan of the movies, you probably won't enjoy the games. they were basically designed to be a love letter to fans of Back to the Future. You won't find a story or emotional experience anywhere near that of The Walking Dead

Anybody think it'd be a good idea to buy the 3 Sam and Max games they have on sale for about 15 dollars total? The only experience I had with them were their Poker Night games and I feel like I might like to try their games.

deserteagleeye:
Anybody think it'd be a good idea to buy the 3 Sam and Max games they have on sale for about 15 dollars total? The only experience I had with them were their Poker Night games and I feel like I might like to try their games.

The Sam and Max games are really, really funny. The writing in the games is top notch, and you'll be shocked at how well they interconnect the different episodes. I've finished seasons 1 and 2 so far.

deserteagleeye:

I just did, for the same reason. If you like point and click adventure games, and if you have played any of Tell Tales other games then you probably know what your answer is.

I just got the Legacy of Kain bundle, since I have the ver first Blood Omen on my PC and the rest on my PS2, which will probably die one day, this way, I can still play through that awesome story again.

FTL and Hotline Miami plus Fez... like I really needed to throw 3 more games onto the ever growing pile... DRM free FTW.

deserteagleeye:

A buddy of mine swears by them. If you're not into the insanity that can be some Point and Clicks (really! Mixing that screw driver with a chicken will light the barbecue) you should be fine. From what I've seen/heard, they're quite funny.

Can anyone who's played Tales From Monkey Island tell me if I'd need to play Curse of Monkey Island and Escape to Monkey Island first, to really understand the story? I know it's supposed to be the 5th game in the series, but the 3rd and 4th games never got updated versions and I don't know how well the originals would work on a modern PC.

Kinitawowi:
Still wish GOG would show their prices in pounds. Although $3 (or whatever it turns out to be - I honestly don't know if I pay in pounds or if it changes it to dollars and I end up paying conversion fees or what they do or AAARGH) for Pod (or more accurately, for somebody to set it up and get it working properly) is probably still a steal.

The best thing about gog is everyone pays the same price, and are only subject to real world exchange rate fluctuations.
Any time someone sets up a fixed alternate currency pricing system, we get screwed.
They just make up the conversions, and make sure to give themselves a really wide safety margin.

Here is an example of a new game that just came on steam http://www.steamprices.com/us/app/39140/final-fantasy-vii
$ 11.99
9.99 $ 15.09 (+25.85%)
€ 12.99 $ 16.87 (+40.70%)

UK pays 25% more, EU 40% more, though the margins aren't consistent across games, publishers just pick numbers out of the air.

http://www.steamprices.com/us/app/231430/company-of-heroes-2
$ 59.99
39.99 $ 60.39 (+0.67%)
€ 49.99 $ 64.91 (+8.20%)

Difference much less there, though the price seems to have gone up again recently, pretty sure it was 30 last week.

Operations:

Kinitawowi:

The best thing about gog is everyone pays the same price, and are only subject to real world exchange rate fluctuations.
Any time someone sets up a fixed alternate currency pricing system, we get screwed.
They just make up the conversions, and make sure to give themselves a really wide safety margin.

Here is an example of a new game that just came on steam http://www.steamprices.com/us/app/39140/final-fantasy-vii
$ 11.99
9.99 $ 15.09 (+25.85%)
€ 12.99 $ 16.87 (+40.70%)

UK pays 25% more, EU 40% more, though the margins aren't consistent across games, publishers just pick numbers out of the air.

http://www.steamprices.com/us/app/231430/company-of-heroes-2
$ 59.99
39.99 $ 60.39 (+0.67%)
€ 49.99 $ 64.91 (+8.20%)

Difference much less there, though the price seems to have gone up again recently, pretty sure it was 30 last week.

I don't give a crap about Steam prices, but at least they have the decency to tell me what it actually bloody costs. If I spend $11.93 at GoG, I want to know how much money is coming out of my sterling bank account. Is it just $11.93 adjusted by the dollar-to-pound exchange rate? Is it $11.93 adjusted by the exchange rate plus a percentage from my bank for currency conversion? Am I paying in pounds or adjusted dollars? They say they're based in Europe; am I paying out euros, even?

Captcha: rocket science. Apparently so.

00slash00:
Can anyone who's played Tales From Monkey Island tell me if I'd need to play Curse of Monkey Island and Escape to Monkey Island first, to really understand the story? I know it's supposed to be the 5th game in the series, but the 3rd and 4th games never got updated versions and I don't know how well the originals would work on a modern PC.

Those games work fine on modern PCs. I used http://quickandeasysoftware.net/software#emisetup to get these games to work when I felt like playing through them recently. ScummVM is also an option for Curse of Monkey Island but it doesn't support Escape from Monkey Island.

Those are great games so I would play through them anyway but I don't think they're absolutely necessary for enjoying Tales of Monkey Island.

Norrdicus:
That's how it starts. First you buy a game from GOG just once from a sale, then you start buying games the moment they're available! Happened twice in my first year in GOG already (NWN2, System Shock 2)

It shouldn't take much anything, GOG tweaks their games to work on modern machines. I've had to put more work on getting Steam games to run occasionally

Well, I'm not much of a PC gamer, as most PC games kinda suck in my opinion, but the Tex Murphy games are the only PC games I've really wanted to play for a long time, and I've had to wait years for them to drop down in price, so I don't see myself downloading much. But I must say, I am amazed at how straight-forward the process has been.

00slash00:

Karoshi:

If you aren't a huge fan of the movies, you probably won't enjoy the games. they were basically designed to be a love letter to fans of Back to the Future. You won't find a story or emotional experience anywhere near that of The Walking Dead

Thanks for warning then. I'll save my money for the Steam Summer Sale then.

Well, the RPG indie bundle was funny. It was cheaper for me to get the entire bundle than to not get 1 of the games. Using their own math system, torchwood cost me -12 dollars.

vxicepickxv:
Well, the RPG indie bundle was funny. It was cheaper for me to get the entire bundle than to not get 1 of the games. Using their own math system, torchwood cost me -12 dollars.

Yeah, the rules of the sale were "50% off for single games, X% off the entire bundle". Although besides the first and last days of the sale, they would feature two bundles a day and if you had some games offered, you could complete the bundle at the same reduced price. RPG Indie was somewhat annoying, because they started the sale off by giving Torchlight for free, so if you took advantage of that offer, you were only able to get the bundle during the two or so days when it was on offer. AFAIK, Definitive D&D, which has the most popular games, was only available on the first and last days, so you weren't able to complete it at the nice price.

Simple Bluff:
Though, I hope in the future that they reveal ahead of time what bundles they are going to sell, and when. I really don't have much time these days and hitting the internet every day just to make sure I wasn't missing something was a huge hassle.

Unlikely, either for GOG or Steam, since the whole idea of summer sales is that you keep checking for your most wanted every day and end up buying something that catches your eye when it's on sale.

Kinitawowi:

I don't give a crap about Steam prices, but at least they have the decency to tell me what it actually bloody costs. If I spend $11.93 at GoG, I want to know how much money is coming out of my sterling bank account. Is it just $11.93 adjusted by the dollar-to-pound exchange rate? Is it $11.93 adjusted by the exchange rate plus a percentage from my bank for currency conversion? Am I paying in pounds or adjusted dollars? They say they're based in Europe; am I paying out euros, even?

Captcha: rocket science. Apparently so.

The amount you are paying in GBP is down to the exchange rate, and your payment method.
GOG cant tell you how much it is going to be because that price is going to fluctuate.
If you have access to gog.com them I am sure you must also have access to google and can ballpark a figure based on the current exchange rate very easily.
If you pay with paypal, then they will tell you at the point of payment what exchange rate they are using, and how much will be taken in real money.
If you are paying with a card directly, then you will want to check your statement to see at what rate the payment was made.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here