Pachter: Why Would Anyone Buy A Wii U?

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Terramax:

Because even a great hack-and-slash is still just a hack-and-slash game. They're not system sellers and, lets face it, they're pretty much all shit. They make FPS games look like the Shakespear of the gaming world by comparison. Hitting hordes of things that just stand there like lemons. All flash and no bang. Bayonetta wasn't exactly a break from tradition from what I recall.

I just... what the... are you... I... I...

Are you actually serious?

Did you actually just try and argue that a genre containing such critically acclaimed games as Devil May Cry 3, Ninja Gaiden Black and Bayonetta is somehow shit? Are you honestly going to try and tell me that?

No. Sorry, but you're way off there. The fact that you equate hack-and-slash gameplay to 'hitting hordes of things that just stand there like lemons' shows that you patently have yet to acquaint yourself with the gameplay of Ninja Gaiden Black, DMC or Bayonetta. In any of those games, enemies do not stand around like lemons, and in fact exhibit some of the most sadistic AI of any game you could ever hope to play. Ninja Gaiden Black has made frown men cry from how tough and vicious the enemies are. Also, as a point of fact, you generally never encounter more than three or four enemies at a time. Devil May Cry 3 was also well known for how tough its enemies were to defeat, and how responsive they were to countering your attacks.

Bayonetta won acclaim from critics, as well as a shitload of analysis, because of the unparalleled depth it brought to hack-and-slash mechanics. It managed to up the ante from Devil May Cry 3, and add new ideas to the template of combo-based combat. You can go to Google and read in-depth analyses which explain in minute detail just how finely tuned and expertly created the combat engine is in Bayonetta 2, just as you can for Ninja Gaiden and Devil May Cry.

Even outside those games, there are other franchises which have still won acclaim for their hack-and-slash gameplay: Otogi, God Of War, hell, even Darksiders managed to get a boatload of fans.

Kindly stop embarrassing yourself, and actually educate yourself on a genre of videogames before you try and shit all over it. There is more intelligent, thoughtful videogame design to be found in just one level of Ninja Gaiden Black or Bayonetta than there is in the entirety of many FPS games. I suggest you go acquaint yourself with those games further, and actually learn something about them, before you feel compelled to try and shit on something as well designed as Bayonetta as "a game where you hit hordes of things that stand there like lemons."

Next thing you know, you'll be shitting on Fighting games for being nothing more than simple button mashers next.

Nintendo will hold stable if nothing else. They're very good at keeping a niche audience, at least, given that they don't say or do anything really boneheaded. Speaking of which, why does this report sound like an Orthy in the making?

SkarKrow:

TizzytheTormentor:
I want it for Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem...

I will get other things too but...come on, Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem...

Also, does anyone really pay attention to what Pachter says about Nintendo? He seems to think Nintendo will fall any day now...

I remember all the doom he spewed about the 3DS too.

I dor espect Pachter and take on board what he says and he does have valid points on this; I also hate Nintendo's marketing strategy for the Wii U because WHERE THE FUCK IS IT!? I haven't seen a single damn commercial for the bloody thing. Same issue the Vita has: shit marketing.

He predicted the Wii would fail and claimed it "got lucky" when he was proven miserably wrong.

Btw Tizzy I wubs my Vita, gonna get P4G next week :3

Excellent! Prepare for fun!

TizzytheTormentor:

SkarKrow:

TizzytheTormentor:
I want it for Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem...

I will get other things too but...come on, Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem...

Also, does anyone really pay attention to what Pachter says about Nintendo? He seems to think Nintendo will fall any day now...

I dor espect Pachter and take on board what he says and he does have valid points on this; I also hate Nintendo's marketing strategy for the Wii U because WHERE THE FUCK IS IT!? I haven't seen a single damn commercial for the bloody thing. Same issue the Vita has: shit marketing.

He predicted the Wii would fail and claimed it "got lucky" when he was proven miserably wrong.

I'm having fun already with Uncharted: Golden Abyss and Unit 13, yet to play the other free stuff I got though.

Cant wait for Killzone: Mercenary!

SkarKrow:

TizzytheTormentor:

SkarKrow:

I'm having fun already with Uncharted: Golden Abyss and Unit 13, yet to play the other free stuff I got though.

Hurray for free stuff!

I left my Vita at home (but I am going home in 2 days) I also haven't renewed my PS+ subscription (probably won't until the PS4)

TizzytheTormentor:

SkarKrow:

TizzytheTormentor:

Hurray for free stuff!

I left my Vita at home (but I am going home in 2 days) I also haven't renewed my PS+ subscription (probably won't until the PS4)

Well Unit 13 and ninja gaiden are free, not touched ninja gaiden yet but unit 13 is fun if a touch basic.

j-e-f-f-e-r-s:

Terramax:

Because even a great hack-and-slash is still just a hack-and-slash game. They're not system sellers and, lets face it, they're pretty much all shit. They make FPS games look like the Shakespear of the gaming world by comparison. Hitting hordes of things that just stand there like lemons. All flash and no bang. Bayonetta wasn't exactly a break from tradition from what I recall.

I just... what the... are you... I... I...

Are you actually serious?

Did you actually just try and argue that a genre containing such critically acclaimed games as Devil May Cry 3, Ninja Gaiden Black and Bayonetta is somehow shit? Are you honestly going to try and tell me that?

No. Sorry, but you're way off there. The fact that you equate hack-and-slash gameplay to 'hitting hordes of things that just stand there like lemons' shows that you patently have yet to acquaint yourself with the gameplay of Ninja Gaiden Black, DMC or Bayonetta. In any of those games, enemies do not stand around like lemons, and in fact exhibit some of the most sadistic AI of any game you could ever hope to play. Ninja Gaiden Black has made frown men cry from how tough and vicious the enemies are. Also, as a point of fact, you generally never encounter more than three or four enemies at a time. Devil May Cry 3 was also well known for how tough its enemies were to defeat, and how responsive they were to countering your attacks.

Bayonetta won acclaim from critics, as well as a shitload of analysis, because of the unparalleled depth it brought to hack-and-slash mechanics. It managed to up the ante from Devil May Cry 3, and add new ideas to the template of combo-based combat. You can go to Google and read in-depth analyses which explain in minute detail just how finely tuned and expertly created the combat engine is in Bayonetta 2, just as you can for Ninja Gaiden and Devil May Cry.

Even outside those games, there are other franchises which have still won acclaim for their hack-and-slash gameplay: Otogi, God Of War, hell, even Darksiders managed to get a boatload of fans.

Kindly stop embarrassing yourself, and actually educate yourself on a genre of videogames before you try and shit all over it. There is more intelligent, thoughtful videogame design to be found in just one level of Ninja Gaiden Black or Bayonetta than there is in the entirety of many FPS games. I suggest you go acquaint yourself with those games further, and actually learn something about them, before you feel compelled to try and shit on something as well designed as Bayonetta as "a game where you hit hordes of things that stand there like lemons."

Next thing you know, you'll be shitting on Fighting games for being nothing more than simple button mashers next.

Look at the demographics and culture for nintendo.

A bunch of colorful and semi-cartoony games for everyone.

Then you have bayonetta have culture shock in the overly safe nintendo environment. Not only is it a franchise that nintendo fans are new to, but the exclusivity deal means a lot of past customers are burned by it.

A game that alienated fans and is foreign to the people its trying to approach.

So Bayonetta is up shit creek without a pattle. Hardly a system seller when it burned every single bridge it had, and that's not good for an exclusive since all you get is a lump sum to make it.

Remember syndicate? Yeah, that failed because it burned bridges too.

On a franchise that failed to sell before, and dropped by Sega. Bayonetta is not a system seller, its painfully obvious that gamers want more military shooters over anything else.

Especially since its release is in 2014. The Xbox and PS4 will steal Nintendo's customer base by that time with its launch exclusives.

The marketing for the PS4 is gigantic now because of the used game debacle. 2014? if you don't have a system seller on day 1, you're dead on arrival. Let alone way after your competitors launch.

The entire point of an early launch is to get AHEAD of your competitors yet Nintendo is way behind.

Jumwa:
The 3DS has functionally zero third party support and is doing amazing. Something tells me however it goes, Nintendo will manage. They could potentially carve out a nice little niche for themselves for Nintendo-only titles, some Japanese ports and indie releases.

This guy has been predicting doom for Nintendo for years, he's never really been right before.

Exactly, for that last part. The guy has a grudge against Nintendo, for whatever reason.

I mean hell, I'm no big fan of the Wii U myself. I hate the bloody motion controls of the Wii (and I put up with them only when playing No More Heroes, all else got the classic controller). The "second" screen tablet controller just does not vibe with me, and seems moreso like a waste than anything. The idiotic decisions to split up their Nintendo Store releases to be console specific (really Nintendo? You're re-releasing Earthbound, but only for those on the Wii U when it would be infinitely more beneficial to release on all systems?). And well... I can go on for a bit longer too, but eventually I'll start slapping them with the "I'm left-handed godamn you!" point soon enough.

But you know what? Nintendo didn't release two years too late. They targeted the casual market and hit the nuke button hard on that, while Microsoft and Sony fought it out for the other group. They did make the mistake of offering nearly NOTHING for the hard-core gamers, in comparison to all the shovelware and otherwise released for the Wii. They have a horrible individual naming their consoles, apparently, but at least Wii-U seem a bit more original than the "Xbox One". And godarn them, but they have Bayonetta 2 in a vice grip that would probably even make that hair-magicked vixen blush a little... And I really want to play Bayonetta 2...

It hurts...

cursedseishi:

I mean hell, I'm no big fan of the Wii U myself. I hate the bloody motion controls of the Wii (and I put up with them only when playing No More Heroes, all else got the classic controller). The "second" screen tablet controller just does not vibe with me, and seems moreso like a waste than anything.

Not to get off topic entirely, but I thought much the same, but then my partner and I picked one up on a whim after making a big business deal that saved us thousands. It's definitely one of those things you really need to sit down and experience for a while to see the appeal of it.

It won't be for everyone, and doesn't have near the explosive mass market appeal that the original Wii did, but as a gamer the WiiU has already impressed me more than the Wii ever did, cumulatively over its lifespan. Though that's not saying much, as I barely touched the Wii.

So far there are only 2 games on system i'm interested in and they haven't been released yet. Even Vita have more games i'm interested in, so i bought it. So yeah of course i won't buy WiiU anytime soon.

Bayonetta 2 and Monster Hunter. There's frankly nothing else good on that shit that. Most of the rest of the games I have for a Nintendo system are on the Wii. The 3DS isn't so great, either (I feel that most of the games are fairly insubstantial in comparison to the Vita's meatier offerings), but at least that shit has stuff that I can sink my teeth into and enjoy for a while. And of course, the DS backlog.

But yeah, the Wii U kinda stinks. I regret the purchase in a lot of ways.

Jumwa:

cursedseishi:

I mean hell, I'm no big fan of the Wii U myself. I hate the bloody motion controls of the Wii (and I put up with them only when playing No More Heroes, all else got the classic controller). The "second" screen tablet controller just does not vibe with me, and seems moreso like a waste than anything.

Not to get off topic entirely, but I thought much the same, but then my partner and I picked one up on a whim after making a big business deal that saved us thousands. It's definitely one of those things you really need to sit down and experience for a while to see the appeal of it.

It won't be for everyone, and doesn't have near the explosive mass market appeal that the original Wii did, but as a gamer the WiiU has already impressed me more than the Wii ever did, cumulatively over its lifespan. Though that's not saying much, as I barely touched the Wii.

I'll probably get a Wii-U at some point in the future, but for now the only worthwhile game on there is Monster Hunter for me. Bayonetta 2 adds another, and Hero looks like it might make for a solid 3rd, but that's really it. Most likely, I'm sticking with the pro controller though if possible... I have had a bit of hands-on time with the Tablet controller, and it just doesn't do it for me.

It's a matter of waiting for the value to actually be there first, for me. I'm willing to put up with crap controls to a certain extent (again, left handed user trying to play on a right-dominant control setup is noooo fun), for great games. If the tablet or motion controls aren't shoe-horned and deemed absolutely necessary for one reason or another, all the more power to it.

And at the risk of dragging this further off-topic, and into more immature depths, you just had to say that as your last line huh...?

From a PC gamers perspective, the WiiU is the only console of interest because it is the only one that offers a unique experience. PS4 and Xbone are essentially just PC's.

From a console gamers perspective the only buying point for the WiiU (aside from exclusives) is the focus on split screen/co-op multiplayer experiences. Something which doesn't appeal to me personally and might even be a niche demand these days.

The only people who think the Wii U is not worth buying are ones who are still living a year ago.

Pachter:

"If Activision pulls support; if you see Ubisoft, you see Take-Two pull support," Pachter concludes, "the Wii U is a Nintendo-only gaming device which is the way they were back with the Nintendo Entertainment System in 1985."

What? You mean the post-Atari crash Nintendo?
You mean the dominant Nintendo that basically had a full blown monopoly for 7 years?

Yeah, that's not really comparable or relevant at all to the Nintendo of today.
They had a Monopoly because they were for all intents and purposes, the only company who was actually trying.

Their first party titles were quirky, memorable and had actual quality to them, coming out of an era where the market had endured literally nothing but shitty cash-in after shitty cash-in. (and even when that market continued on the NES, other companies started creating good games again)

I think it's safe to say that Nintendo has actual competition in gaming as a whole, between two major console brands and the general PC platform.

cursedseishi:

And at the risk of dragging this further off-topic, and into more immature depths, you just had to say that as your last line huh...?

I'm a bad bad boy sometimes.

Why would anyone buy a WiiU. Its a U turn around from Wii innovation and still does not have any games i would like.

TheKasp:
If I'm brutally honest: The Wii U is the only console (aside from the 3DS) that has any appeal to me. Not very much since it still lack that 'killer app' but the exclusives look at least interesting and not like "ah, another FPS with shitty controls" or simply "game that may be interesting but looks to bland to give a fuck about".

really? Your looking for good FPS controls on a console? what is this i dont even.....
there is a reason even a total noob with PC would destroy "pro console shooters" thanks to how inferior controllers are when it comes to FPS. you cant simulate precise aiming on controllers as they are now.

risenbone:
I dunno but one good reason could be out of the 3 "game consoles" it's the only one that's primarily a game console and not some service gateway attempting to take over the living room.

whats good of a game console with no games?

Strazdas:

really? Your looking for good FPS controls on a console? what is this i dont even.....
there is a reason even a total noob with PC would destroy "pro console shooters" thanks to how inferior controllers are when it comes to FPS. you cant simulate precise aiming on controllers as they are now.

And yet shooters of first and third person are big on consoles and seem to be a selling point for people. I prefer mouse aiming myself because thumbsticks are too slow and unresponsible.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here