Star Wars: The Old Republic Celebrating KOTOR's 10th Birthday

Star Wars: The Old Republic Celebrating KOTOR's 10th Birthday

Knights of the Old Republic cover

The MMO Star Wars: The Old Republic will be doing a few special things to mark the tenth anniversary of the game that inspired it.

Long before Star Wars: The Old Republic helped put John Riccitiello out of a job, BioWare introduced gamers to the setting with Knights of the Old Republic, a single-player RPG set 4000 years prior to the events of the original Star Wars trilogy, and which also happens to be one of the finest Star Wars games ever released. It came out on July 15, 2003, which means that its tenth anniversary - always a big one - is less than two weeks away.

In what I think is a pretty classy move, EA announced today that Star Wars: The Old Republic will be doing a few things to mark KOTOR's big one-oh. There will be a blog post from BioWare Creative Director and Knights of the Old Republic designer James Ohlen, who will talk about the game and how it influenced the development of SWTOR; a new title, "Revan's Heir," available through the Cartel Store for just 24 hours for what is apparently a low price of ten Cartel Coins; and Cartel Coin giveaways throughout the day on the SWTOR Facebook page.

It's nothing too elaborate, but the Old Republic site describe these events as "some of the things you can look forward to," the obvious implication being that it's not all of the things you can look forward to. Either way, it all goes down on July 15; keep your eyes on swtor.com for more information.

So instead of celebrating KotoR, they are going to sell a title and that is it?

come on! KotoR was one of the better RPG's for the Xbox back in the day, hell, the PC version with all the mods you can add in is amazing.

I guess with it being EA and all, they cant pull a Bethesda and just release their games for free.

that would just be silly.

Long before Star Wars: The Old Republic helped put John Riccitiello out of a job

Wow, you don't mince words, do you?

Sure would be nice if they added controller support to the Steam versions of KOTOR & KOTOR 2. I guess special MMO content is cool...if I played SWOTR.

Remember, though, there's more coming. Not Bethesda level awesome freebies, but hey. We can hope for something super cool. :)

That's cool I guess? The first part (this better only be the first part) is...a weak offerin to say the least. A blog about how KoToR 1 influenced ToR is interestin, but I have trouble it'll be any different or more in depth than any of the behind the scenes stuff that was released before the game even came out.

Also sellin a title for cartel coins meant as a celebration feels shady. Its a super duper low amount, sure, but if its so cheap why not just make it free? I dunno, maybe I'm just bein snipy since its ToR, but it just feels weird to charge people for somethin like this, even if its quite literally pennies.

SWTOR is still running? Who knew
OT: I loved KOTOR! I still play KOTOR like once every year. Even KOTORII (with the extended content patch). This kinda feels like a bad way to celebrate that game. You can buy a title in swtor? How is adding another microtransaction a way of celebrating? A blog that explains how they took a gem of a game and shit all over it?

To sum up: fuck you EA, so very very much.

RatherDull:

Long before Star Wars: The Old Republic helped put John Riccitiello out of a job

He didn't and it was AWESOME. I had quite a few yucks over that.

shintakie10:
Its a super duper low amount, sure, but if its so cheap why not just make it free? I dunno, maybe I'm just bein snipy since its ToR, but it just feels weird to charge people for somethin like this, even if its quite literally pennies.

Under certain circumstances, it might be considered good marketing. It's a well known fact in F2P development that getting people to use the shop the first time can be really difficult, but that after that it's much easier to get them to make a second etc. purchase. It's to do with the headache involved in setting it up, adding your card details, putting shop currency on your account and so on. Once they've done it once, the bar for a further purchase is drastically lower.

So I guess that, really, it's just a cynical attempt to play off people's nostalgia for the awesome of KotOR to drum up additional business for the mediocrity of SW:TOR.

Since this is EA, it really shouldn't come as a surprise... :P

[quote="Andy Chalk" post="7.821053.19828351"]

In what I think is a pretty classy move, EA announced today that Star Wars: The Old Republic will be doing a few things to mark KOTOR's big one-oh. There will be a blog post from BioWare Creative Director and Knights of the Old Republic designer James Ohlen, who will talk about the game and how it influenced the development of SWTOR; a new title, "Revan's Heir," available through the Cartel Store for just 24 hours for what is apparently a low price of ten Cartel Coins; and Cartel Coin giveaways throughout the day on the SWTOR Facebook page./quote]

Really? This is /faceplam worthy on a whole new level. How much money went into development of this game? Was their entire budget spent on just IP licensing?! And for their special in-game events, a major one they need to announce from the rooftops, you get a blog post and a title that PLAYERS HAVE TO BUY?! REALLY?! Holy Skritt droppings and bookah barf!

Free-2-play or not, this game is such an epic pile of #&$%. Guild Wars 2 from the start is buy the box and it's yours to play whenever. Every other holiday they come up with something interesting, something fun, and something FREE! Winterday for Christmas, Halloween for..Halloween, Dragon Bash for summer, and I'm not even sure what's going to happen during the anniversary, but it's been hinted something special will happen (and if GW1 is any indication, then it'll be 1-Uping Dragon Bash).

That game (GW2) should be posted and advertised with each and every holiday event (which they did get a whole thing from The Escapist because they sent pinatas to every gaming media outlet to bash just prior to Dragon Bash.... THAT IS BRAG WORTHY!) Not selling some cheap ass title as crazy prices to their player base to "celebrate" something, which SW:TOR should be SHAMED FOR!

Ishal:

RatherDull:

He didn't and it was AWESOME. I had quite a few yucks over that.

This is why I read articles on the Escapist. They can put a smile on my face.

*gives internet thumbs up to Mr. Chalk*

So they celebrate this great game's 10th anniversary with payed content for its bastard child of a game? It would've been better if they'd done nothing.

How about something people who have and still play it can enjoy? Or maybe a short video, or (only if you're an awesome company like Valve), make a giveaway so that more people can experience the game?

SW:TOR was on the best MMO's released for a very long time but it had no chance because people are so obsessed with racing through a game in a few weeks and then farm phat lewts they have killed the MMO.

Not one MMO comes close to SW:TOR's story and levelling experience, I'm a hardcore MMO raider but SW:TOR was the only game I enjoyed levelling my toon then as one of the guilty parties I raided for a month or so got bored and quit and slated the game for having no content. I've since gone back and played the multiple stories through at a casual pace and really enjoyed the depth and humour put into that game.

While it's neat that they're doing something to commemorate that game that started it all....I can't help but think it'd be rather goofy to have countless players all running around bearing the title "Revan's Heir".

I mean obviously since Revan turns out to essentially be a light-side god or a dark-side satan the title has to be available to light siders and dark siders...so that's going to be a lot of Jedi Jesuses and Sith Antichrists running around. :P

Well, when you turn one of the most intriguing Sith Lords into a mid level dungeon boss, I suppose further diluting what made him cool is the way to go. Because Revan is dur awsumest Jedi evar.

KaZuYa:
SW:TOR was on the best MMO's released for a very long time but it had no chance because people are so obsessed with racing through a game in a few weeks and then farm phat lewts they have killed the MMO.

If it was so good, people would have stuck with it and just rolled a new character after finishing one.

Also, this is relevant

Deathfish15:
-snip-

In defense of SWTOR, that title's price tag comes out to be about 8-11 cents, depending on what coin package you buy.

But I agree, it's hardly a fitting tribute to a game as influential as KOTOR.

No new operations, terrible lags in europe. this game is unplayable outside of us so no wonder the number of subscribers is getting lower and lower.

I played the game for almost a year when it first came out, beta tested it as well. It's one of the biggest cases of missed potential ever imo. If TOR had been supported like MMO's like RIFT and GW2, it could've actually kept a much higher portion of its population.

Instead, the game went for months without bug fixes and optimization fixes (even worse, they reported on fixing problems that just persisted) and an even longer time without any content updates. Coupled with a number of disastrous design choices: the Ilum debacle, only 2 crafts in the game being useful, placing superguards at every point where open PvP could happen, daily grinds, PvP grind, bullshit RNG loot and then the crappy F2P implementation.

Honestly, I liked the core game despite it all. The combat was rather crisp (for most classes), the pacing was good and the storyline did make it a blast to play through (again, for most classes, trooper story ugh).

They keep having such trouble actually adding something meaningful to the content and actually organising compelling events, while MMO's like GW2 churn those out like no one's bussiness.

Devoneaux:

KaZuYa:

If it was so good, people would have stuck with it and just rolled a new character after finishing one.

Also, this is relevant *snip*

He has a point though.
The player did play the game right as far as the gameplay is concerned. However their attitude stinks.
I guarantee you that when you join a PUG flashpoint in SW:ToR that in the very first dialogue someone will complain when you do not skip the dialogue. ("HIT SPACEBAR!")
The reason for this is simple: They are not there to listen to the story but only want to complete the FP as fast as possible to get the reward and be done with it. The goal is not the experience of the FP but the reward.
The same happens with bonus objectives. If there is no extra boss involved that yield the chance of valuable lot or is irrelevant for the gain of required recommendations then it will be skipped.
Maybe they completed the FP before, maybe because they are just on a daily quest (recommendations) or maybe because they don't fucking care and want to waste as little time as possible. They will also quit or complain when they see on the HP of player that their gear is not good because performance and efficiency is more important than a friendly MP experience. In any case the experience is diminished.
With an attitude like this it is unlikely to enjoy the effort put into the story, plot and characters and a game heavily build around exactly that will suffer for it.
SW:ToR is IMO a decent game (as e.g. 7 out of 10 decent). But the MMO community at large is not the right community to appreciate it.

To get back at Jims video. It is like going to the cinema to watch a movie that is supposed to challenge you but your are with 4 drunk friends that can't STFU and make stupid comments about everything and do stupid stuff like throwing popcorn at each other and you have to "join" more or less because you don't want to fight with them.
Yea you are not going to enjoy the movie.

Ishigami:

Devoneaux:

KaZuYa:

Also, this is relevant *snip*

He has a point though.
The player did play the game right as far as the gameplay is concerned. However their attitude stinks.
I guarantee you that when you join a PUG flashpoint in SW:ToR that in the very first dialogue someone will complain when you do not skip the dialogue. ("HIT SPACEBAR!")
The reason for this is simple: They are not there to listen to the story but only want to complete the FP as fast as possible to get the reward and be done with it. The goal is not the experience of the FP but the reward.

And this is due to one (or both) of two possible causes:

1. The story isn't interesting to them and it failed to grip them into it. (Which is my biggest issue with the game, but that's an argument for another thread)

2. They've seen it already and don't have interest in seeing it again (which when you think about it, is symptomatic of the first reason, surely a worthwhile story would merit a revisit.)

The same happens with bonus objectives. If there is no extra boss involved that yield the chance of valuable lot or is irrelevant for the gain of required recommendations then it will be skipped.

this speaks more to the flaws in the game's design than it does a flaw in the player to be brutally honest.

Maybe they completed the FP before, maybe because they are just on a daily quest (recommendations) or maybe because they don't fucking care and want to waste as little time as possible. They will also quit or complain when they see on the HP of player that their gear is not good because performance and efficiency is more important than a friendly MP experience. In any case the experience is diminished.

See, you keep trying to make excuses for the game by saying it's the players and not the game. A good game wouldn't need excuses, if TOR was as good as he is claiming, this would be reflected in the player count.

TOR's reward setup has always been flawed in regards to bonus bosses etc. Typically people were only interested in doing the last boss because every other one just dropped gear which was inferior to easily gotten PvP alternatives.

However, the "skip skip skip" attidude is also in the hands of the players, no matter what the devs do. Take GW2: even though every dungeon boss dropped tokens and killing the trash would often award you with valuable materials and money, people still insisted no matter what to just run the easiest and fastest dungeon for tokens while skipping as much as possible.

Honestly, it's also in your own hands whether you want to have fun in a game or just go for superior pixels. And whether you want to bitch to first time players so that they skip cutscenes, or have the patience to let them watch it.

It is about mathematics you see. Time needed vs. reward earned. This and similar calculation (cue: theory crafting) that foremost drives a huge chunk of the MMO community completely disregards certain aspects of games (any game for that matter) such as story, atmosphere or even combat situations (DPS meter, terrain etc...). And this is an attitude you can't simply break free.
What I was getting at with "MMO community is not able to appreciate it" is that SW:ToR would have been better received being no MMO at all but continuation of KotOR aiming at a completely different crowd with different focus in games.

As to the player count: So WoW is the best game ever made?
And SW:ToR is not so bad in comparison to other competitors. It could be argued that it could be the 3rd or 4th most played traditional MMORPG on the market. It is just that the expectation were completely a miss.

Ishigami:
It is about mathematics you see. Time needed vs. reward earned. This and similar calculation (cue: theory crafting) that foremost drives a huge chunk of the MMO community completely disregards certain aspects of games (any game for that matter) such as story, atmosphere or even combat situations (DPS meter, terrain etc...). And this is an attitude you can't simply break free.
What I was getting at with "MMO community is not able to appreciate it" is that SW:ToR would have been better received being no MMO at all but continuation of KotOR aiming at a completely different crowd with different focus in games.

As to the player count: So WoW is the best game ever made?
And SW:ToR is not so bad in comparison to other competitors. It could be argued that it could be the 3rd or 4th most played traditional MMORPG on the market. It is just that the expectation were completely a miss.

That is exactly correct. Bioware had no business stepping into the MMO world. Nobody plays MMO's for the story... especially the MMO community and ESPECIALLY the WoW player subset of that community. SwToR wasn't bad... I'd say apart from WoW and GW2 its one of the better ones out there, though like the original guild wars I'd recommend it not as an MMO but as a large RPG experience to play with a few friends.

ToR simply couldn't get its act together. I was there when people decided to leave in droves.. I watched my server empty and become a ghost town. They promised endgame but when they delivered it was bugged all to hell. SOA and Karraga bugged out on my guild at least 20 times each. Then when they were finally going to implement some good PvP stuff they pushed it back to a later patch... at that point tons of people left. On Ilum, when they had pub and imp players scumming the honor/valor or whatever the pvp currency was called... that should have been rolled back, but it wasn't. As a result, the entire RUIN gaming community had tons of geared players and stomped all over everybody. Massive balance issue... and they didn't fix it. Of the players in other guilds I knew, at least ~700 players left just for that reason alone.

MMO players aren't gamers... not in the same way a lot of people here on the escapist are. They don't care about games like Dishonored or Bioshock. The game for them is social more than anything. Playing an MMO for many of them is more of meeting up with their friends to play golf or hockey than immerse themselves in a world. They have been playing with their guilds for years in many cases, this is why having a good guild system in place is important and I'd argue ToR didn't have that. DOn't know if it does now. What you are arguing is fine... but it doesn't excuse Bioware's lack of attention to these things. I can't tell you how many people I heard say this phrase while playing.

"Sometimes when i play this game, I get the feeling that the developers never played an MMO before"

This comes from doing the Eternity Vault and going broke fixing your gear. The amount of money you get from running raids is (or was) really low. These are base concepts that a game very much akin to WoW should have in place, but didn't. Bioware should have known these things, but they didn't. It is impossible to please the MMO community, granted. However, ToR should have done so much more at the beginning, it shouldn't have been released as soon as it was... and now it suffers the consequences.

ciasteczkowyp:
No new operations, terrible lags in europe. this game is unplayable outside of us so no wonder the number of subscribers is getting lower and lower.

Wait what? Me and my friends never experienced lag. Unplayable may be a *little* exaggerated. But we don't raid or anything.

OT: I'd wish Obsidian had the chance to create KotoR 3. I know many b*tch about 2 because of the cut content, but it wasn't really their fault (hint: it was the publisher's). Now with the restored content, one can see how awesome KotoR 3 would have been. Instead, we got an MMORPG which does some of the things Obsidian imagined, but 300 years later. And it f*cks up many important plot points and characters (see Revanite questline, Foundry flashpoint...). It's just sad.

To celebrate, I'm going to play KotoR 2 again. It's one of the few games where multiple playthroughs really matter. A pity that Bioware, after "creating" this formula, never learned from Obsidians accomplishments in the second KotoR. The Mass Effect and Dragon Age series never had so much variety when it comes to companion interaction, dialogues, character mechanics and endings.

Hey, Bioware! Know what would be a great way to honor KotOR?

make goddamn KotOR 3 al-fucking-ready!!!

Ugh haven't they done enough to ruin kotor series with the old republic?

WanderingFool:

Oh I envy your ignorance...

WanderingFool:

Lucasarts canceled KOTOR 3 in like, 2007. It's not happening.

Pffft, LucasArts has been dismantled. There is a chance Disney or EA will think it's a good idea to push out a KOTOR 3. Obsidian is still sniffing around to make a Star Wars game, however I hear they want to do something during the time between the movies that would overlap the crappy Force Unleashed series that was designed to be a KOTOR3 itself(Thus original trailer having a woman fighting storm troopers instead of a man).

Bioware is too worried about artistic vision to put out a good story anymore, my expectations are extremely low for Dragon Age 3. Jenifer Helper didn't help when she ignorantly compared Anders pretty clear multiple personality disorder to schizophrenia. They do too much about shock value these days, waste all their time trying to think of a big twist like they think they are Mr Shyamalan and I'm just plan sick of it.

So it's really fair game on what developer could pick up KOTOR3 at this point.

What? No third single-player installment in a beloved series? What do we get, a lame title? A micro-transaction? <Eyes roll back into head followed by nosebleeds> I'm think I am actually dying form hate right now.

KaZuYa:

Not one MMO comes close to SW:TOR's story and levelling experience, I'm a hardcore MMO raider but SW:TOR was the only game I enjoyed leveling my toon then as one of the guilty parties I raided for a month or so got bored and quit and slated the game for having no content. I've since gone back and played the multiple stories through at a casual pace and really enjoyed the depth and humor put into that game.

I've never understood how people gushed over how engaging and fun the story/leveling in TOR is. The starting planets for the most part were awesome, particularly Korriban. But the further you go in the game the more and more sparse the environments become: huge, obviously ambitious, maps with quite literally nothing interesting to do in them. If all the worlds had the depth and attention to detail as the starting planets did the game would have been incredible, but instead it just felt tedious.

To say nothing to fthe fact that the actually gameplay, both combat and quest structure was so shamelessly cribbed from WoW its comical. When I played it with my friends back at launch we just called all the abilities by there wow names cause they were functionally identical.

Huttball was the games only original idea, and it was crazy fun. But one good PvP map does not a good game make

mysecondlife:
Ugh haven't they done enough to ruin kotor series with the old republic?

WanderingFool:

Oh I envy your ignorance...

Oh, I already know its not gonna happen...

Still not gonna stop me from wishing I could jump to a alternate universe where they did make KotOr 3.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here