SimCity Expansion Could Add Offline Mode

Pages 1 2 NEXT

SimCity Expansion Could Add Offline Mode

SimCity panorama

A hypothetical SimCity expansion just might turn the game into everything fans wanted it to be.

SimCity players may have opened their inbox this morning to see a survey from EA, asking for input about a theoretical expansion to the game. While no such expansion has formally been announced, the survey seems to indicate that EA is interested in giving gamers all the features that SimCity was bashed for not including. To wit, the potential new features include an offline Classic mode, much bigger cities, cooperative multiplayer city building, a God Mode with wide-scale terraforming, and many more possible additions to the game.

Of the features mentioned, quite a few seem to be direct responses to the heavy criticism SimCity received at launch. Classic Mode would let you "play a single fully functioning city using cheats and unlocks" either on or offline. One survey question mentions doubling the maximum city size, while another proposes "Cities without Boundaries" which might remove limits altogether, opening up "miles and miles" of city space. Some of the more fleshed out features sound like they're already in the works, including a few with a distinctly cyberpunk vibe to them: "Simulate to the Sky" would add SuperScrapers with vertical zoning and multiple levels of transportation, creating dense cities under steel skies.

You can check out the survey in full right here to see all the options on the table. There were a lot of problems with SimCity, but if even a fraction of these updates are implemented, it could "fix" the game for many disappointed fans.

Source: Penny Arcade

too little, too late....

^ Ninja'ed from the get go! Also, can't you do offline mode already via some tinkering?

Still doesn't change the fact the game is broken by DESIGN and unless they completely overhaul the coding system for traffic the game will never be fixed. So no matter what expansion or offline mode they do it will not help. Fix you game EA then we will talk.

Of course it won't change a thing about EA flaming being fashionable, but if implemented this certainly would transform SimCity in a pretty good game.

The logical thing here would be to assume that maybe they'd even learn something from it as well, but honestly... I doubt it.

Might as well make it F2P for all the good it'll do.

TwoSidesOneCoin:
Also, can't you do offline mode already via some tinkering?

I'm pretty sure somebody hacked that less then a week after the release.

TwoSidesOneCoin:
^ Ninja'ed from the get go! Also, can't you do offline mode already via some tinkering?

Why do that when you can make people pay for offline mode?

You really can't even make this shit up. Assuming access to the offline mode is only available by buying the theoretical expansion.

And so much for being impossible. Even though that hacker proved them wrong months ago.

I think at this point they'd be better off just shit-canning the current version and releasing whatever comes from this survey as an entirely different game. That being said, if they roll some of these features into the base game then I don't think I'd be opposed to putting down the money to finally buy it.

EA is like a dog shitting on the carpet constantly, you're only going to make it stop by rewarding it for making the effort to go outside and do it. Negative reinforcement is only going to make it so scared that it'll start pissing on the carpet as well; lord knows we don't want that happening.

That would be an amazing fix if all those modes are thrown in as we'll as removing the DRM, I'll actually be impressed. Though it is a bit late, it isn't too late to change their last short sighted dim view and improve all future releases by bringing back everything that worked so well. Now if only every other greedy stupid company could do the same.

EA games are on my Do Not Buy list. However I'd be tempted to reward them with a sale if they actually did a lot of these, especially the saves-in-the-cloud, always-online bullshit.

Oh man, this is just too delicious. If I have any more of this, I think I may burst.

However, they should be...applauded (it's the closest I'm going to get, but it still doesn't feel right) for finally putting in something for the consumer.

I might even buy the game if it had all that stuff.

It's bizarre, it's almost as if EA was looking for Bargain Bin sales on Sims.

You know, if they introduce a classic mode I would consider picking up the game.

So long as I didnt have to pay for offline mode as an extra.

EA must be desperate if they're actually accepting consumer input on things.
But they've got a lot of ground to regain, especially after these last few years.

Its broken. Its been broken well before the marketing scheme they called a beta.

Too little, too late. Simcity likely isn't making EA money and now they want a way out of the server costs.

As it is, reddit and the official forums are dead. Most of the threads are people bashing it, the new patch fixing nothing, or saying they stopped playing.

I don't even think anyone plays anymore. If you try to make games a service, you better hope you can offer actual service instead of excuses and half baked ideas.

When these guys said "This is required" I called bullshit. And it was, seeing a pirated version working offline, after a huge amount of people said "that can't be done" was really damn funny.

Atmos Duality:
EA must be desperate if they're actually accepting consumer input on things.
But they've got a lot of ground to regain, especially after these last few years.

Accepting consumer input? Nah, most probably trying to sell this shit to all those that didn't buy their crap before. I bet they had it working even before launch just in case people realized "Always Online because of reasons" was actually bullshit. But there is no work they can do to "regain" ground, they'll probably just keep fucking up, but wanted to achieve a few more sells on this one.

Dont care about this game anymore , they screwed it up in so many ways allready i dont think a patch will fix it. And buying it then would just net them money ,And i am finished giving EA any more of it ...ever. This game is dead and this is just a scream for help so they can shaft us on nr 5 and 6 and so on. Just sad it took them just one moneygrubbing try to tank the series.

Grabehn:

Accepting consumer input? Nah, most probably trying to sell this shit to all those that didn't buy their crap before. I bet they had it working even before launch just in case people realized "Always Online because of reasons" was actually bullshit. But there is no work they can do to "regain" ground, they'll probably just keep fucking up, but wanted to achieve a few more sells on this one.

Whether they're sincere or not, this is a change from the usual headstrong "Hype -> Insist -> Deflect -> LIE" pattern.
They've recently gone through some hefty restructuring and change in leadership; they might be trying something new.

If it turns out to be a new brand of bullshit, it wouldn't surprise me; I've watched EA stumble through heavy controversy for much worse than SimCity or ME3. I've watched them rebuild and "change" their company before. Sometimes they've made strides to change, but most often they're just trying to dress their old schemes in a new pelt of wool.

*facepalm* several of these options shouldn't be limited to an expansion.

They should be downright part of the core game, EA. The fact that now you're trying to part them out as expansions only makes the image around this game even worse.

In the end, this shouldn't be an expansion pack. Everything here in the survey might as well become part of a fucking HUGE patch to the game that serves as a very, very late apology for completely ignoring and betraying the Simcity fanbase. But the damage is done - It's going to take a lot to make people change their minds on Simcity. In fact, you might as well remove the Origin requirement on this game and sell it on Steam to show how "sorry" you are as icing on the cake. Yes, a hard move, but at this point if you plan to make your money back on such a failure it's time for desperate decisions like this.

Bit late, guys. Someone already did. In fact, that's what plenty of fans have been using since practically launch, and it serves you right for having such arbitrary and inconvenient DRM.

Cognimancer:
Some of the more fleshed out features sound like they're already in the works, including a few with a distinctly cyberpunk vibe to them: "Simulate to the Sky" would add SuperScrapers with vertical zoning and multiple levels of transportation, creating dense cities under steel skies.

If they make a game where I can make a Fifth Element style city with flying cars and massive skyscrapers... ..yeh my wallet would hit them so hard I suspect I'd be indited for manslaughter.

If they do that 'greed vs green' thing they need to balance it closer to reality.

Say, essential utilities cost twice as much, require subsidies to remain in business, overall lower quality of life, and new 'green' challenges introduced every few years that you have to meet or you lose the positive benefits of the previous ones.

But hey - more bushes!

Anyway. A lot of the minor things they list sound great - but maybe not as a paid expansion. They already have my money; they owe me a functional game in return.

I seem to remember a quote from Bradshaw:

"We made this game for you because you asked us for another SimCity"

Hm. Okay. So why did it take half a year and a survey to even consider, let alone implement, the things that the people asked you for? In fact, why are you sending out a poll when they've already told you what's wrong?

Typical EA, re-releasing a crack as DLC :D

"Oh look, we have all these expensive servers nobody plays on any more... well, might as well flip the "Offline Mode" switch and make some more money by giving people the game they thought they paid for in the first place."

And you just KNOW that they'll use the rather considerable piracy numbers that will ensue as some bullshit cop-out for their next big game.

WHY WASN'T THIS IN THE BASE GAME?!

I actually enjoy SimCity, but I have this stupid problem where my cities won't "trade" with eachother. :( It has too many glitches atm :(

Kargathia:
Of course it won't change a thing about EA flaming being fashionable, but if implemented this certainly would transform SimCity in a pretty good game.

The logical thing here would be to assume that maybe they'd even learn something from it as well, but honestly... I doubt it.

Considering one of the survey questions is "would you pre order this expansion", I'd say that they haven't learned a damn thing.

Charging for something that should have been a part of the game or a free patch to begin with, this takes some nerve, even for EA.

Fuck them up the goat ass

2x the city size is still TINY. Why can't you allow SimCity 4 size as long as your PC can handle it?

I haven't played the Sims since the original ages ago, but I've read about SimCity on this site and--like everyone else--was disgusted by EA's tactics and poor performance.

Some questions linked to this "change of heart" on their parts:

1) I remember reading that despite it's launching problems with the servers crashing, bugs, modded proof that their claims that it could only be played online was malarkey, etc. SimCity still rang up millions of players within it's first month. SO--does anyone know how many 'registered' players they have now?

2) Was their initial surge of players lost like SW:TOR's player base after the first six months?

3) Is this EA scrambling to make SimCity profitable in the face of a massive failure akin to SW:TOR's going to Free Online after they realized they were losing too many players to recoup their investment much less make a clear profit?

Note: I've never played an MMO before. I'm just curious. :)

So an expansion will fix all the problems? So it's "Yeah, we heard all your complaints and we'll give you all you want, you just have to give us more money."? Riiiiight...

If this expansion is free, then props to EA for finally taking customer advice into consideration.

If they have the balls to charge for this expansion, they can take their game and shove it far up their collective corporate ass.

Vie:

Cognimancer:
Some of the more fleshed out features sound like they're already in the works, including a few with a distinctly cyberpunk vibe to them: "Simulate to the Sky" would add SuperScrapers with vertical zoning and multiple levels of transportation, creating dense cities under steel skies.

If they make a game where I can make a Fifth Element style city with flying cars and massive skyscrapers... ..yeh my wallet would hit them so hard I suspect I'd be indited for manslaughter.

You and me both. You and me both.

Though now that we have said it it would premeditated murder we could be charged with :P

Though I am invisioning sort of a multiple tower style sim tower game which would be pretty interesting in its own rights as well.

...I need to play Beneath the Steel Sky again.

Nuttydwarf:
too little, too late....

You said what EVERYONE is undoubtedly thinking.

And we have to pay for the privilege?

CriticKitten:
If this expansion is free, then props to EA for finally taking customer advice into consideration.

If they have the balls to charge for this expansion, they can take their game and shove it far up their collective corporate ass.

Optimism. Ah, you poor, poor fellow. You have not yet seen the world with eyes as old to remember EA in all its terror.

In short, they will fucking charge for it. Honestly, by now, SimCity is The Sims, the same expansion-policy and all. Its actually funny, given all the nasty fallout from the release, the server failures etc, when you go to any store to buy that game, its still full price. Hell i've even seen sell them their DLC for a higher price than they would prolly cost online (and thats basicly graphics).

So yeah, you better believe that EA will try to squeeze as much money out of people as they can, for as long as they can. Aint like Sims 3 now costs 600+ bucks for basegame and all the other crap, on top of asking for more money so they can sell you crappy furniture online for like 5 dollar for a fucking couch.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here