Razer CEO: No PS3 Accessories Because I Barely Play Mine

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Razer CEO: No PS3 Accessories Because I Barely Play Mine

Razer CEO Min-Liang Tan says he designs stuff he actually wants as a gamer.

Razer is a videogame peripheral company that makes controllers, headphones, fight sticks, mice and keyboards for the PC and Xbox 360. Oddly enough, there are no Razer products for the Xbox's direct competitor, the PS3. Razer CEO Min-Liang Tan explained over Twitter that "One of the big reasons why we don't make PlayStation accessories is because I don't really spend time with mine."

The exchange started when Tan said he was "dusting off his PS3" just so he could play The Last of Us. While he has enjoyed some PS3 games in the past (he claimed to have spent two straight days playing Infamous), the peripheral maker stands by his decision to not support the PS3. When he was called out as being "selfish", he replied "Why's it selfish? I design stuff I actually want as a gamer rather than sell stuff to gamers for money."

Tan went on to tell eager PlayStation gamers that if more games can hold his interest like Infamous, he might look into making PlayStation accessories. When asked if Razer would make products for the PS4, Tan said "I dunno - I had my PS3 for a long time - gathered a lot of dust. literally."

Razer's products, in particular its Xbox 360 fight sticks, are often regarded by gamers as being of very high quality and some of the best third party peripherals on the market. Razer recently expanded into the notebook sector, publishing the Razer Blade series of gaming laptops built around Razer's "switchblade" interface.

Source: Twitter via DualShockers

I have NEVER understood people like this. There is not a single damn thing the 360 has over the PS3, except for a handful of (subpar) exclusives. Even if you disagree on that part, the PS3 has everything the 360 has, but with MORE exclusives. the only real reason why I've seen people choose a 360 over a PS3 is because their friends have it. Which is arguably a testament to the 360's "stellar" online functions, but I disagree with this assessment. Instead, I think Microsoft has a MUCH MUCH better marketing campaign, especially for American audiences (and perhaps more shrewed business practices).

I have literally no idea if branching out onto PS3/PS4 would actually net them profit(I'm guessing it's a 'yes it would', though) but ain't it usually considered a better idea to cover all bases if there's demand, rather than shrugging off a share cause you don't have personal interest?

Mimsofthedawg:
I have NEVER understood people like this. There is not a single damn thing the 360 has over the PS3, except for a handful of (subpar) exclusives. Even if you disagree on that part, the PS3 has everything the 360 has, but with MORE exclusives. the only real reason why I've seen people choose a 360 over a PS3 is because their friends have it. Which is arguably a testament to the 360's "stellar" online functions, but I disagree with this assessment. Instead, I think Microsoft has a MUCH MUCH better marketing campaign, especially for American audiences (and perhaps more shrewed business practices).

Speaking as an xbox owner, pretty much this.

I really don't see the big difference between the two to alienate one half of the market completely (wii is a different market in my mind).

Mimsofthedawg:

Took the words right out of my mouth.
Heck if it's anything I didn't even know anything about this guy's company or what they made until this article.
I mean sure your personal preferences are nice, but basing your entire marketing style and company decisions on those isn't really good business. I mean the PS3 and the 360 aren't that different really, I own both, and the PS3 is way more popular in Japan and Europe then the 360 so this makes no sense at all.

Edit: Just checked his Twitter and it seems like he's getting crap for his comment on it. Then one of his other Tweets was about how much he loves TLoU.

I find it ironic the article mentions fight sticks for the 360 especially, considering fighting games are the one game type amongst all others that I have never met anyone who felt the 360 wasn't just awful for in comparison to PS3. Similarly, the majority of whatever good games the 360 has are not exclusive, so there's no logical reason why he doesn't want to make accessories for the PS3 because it supposedly has only a handful of games, when mostly both systems have the SAME damned games.

Steven Bogos:

Razer's products, in particular its Xbox 360 fight sticks, are often regarded by gamers as being of very high quality and some of the best third party peripherals on the market.

A 1-in-3 failure rate and log-in required calibration software does not make the best peripherals. The reason "gamers" like them is because they are flashy and ricer and teens are into that sort of shit. Fitting that the CEO of the company has the reasoning powers of a teen.

Mimsofthedawg:

The point he's trying to make isn't "The PS3 is worse, therefore we don't make peripherals for it".

It's "I don't use my PS3, therefore I have no need for peripherals for it, therefore we don't make peripherals for it".

It's not exactly the most business savvy statement I've ever heard, but there's a certain selfish/careless logic to it that makes perfect sense. He's approaching his business from the mindset of "What would I like to have for my gaming?" rather than "What would my customers like to have for gaming?".

It doesn't really bother me either way, mostly because I got sick of my Razer products crapping out on me after 6 months and so I don't buy any of their stuff anymore, but the man isn't exactly wrong with what he's saying. Just not very customer friendly.

A fair reason as any but I feel like they could make a lot of money off of PS3 accessories.

The response kinda amuse me so far. Response to Normal article about a companies business decision "they made carp by just caring about what would sell without caring about the product." This guy says he only wants to make products he wants to use "that's carpy business and he insulted the ps3 so I will lambaste him". I agree that he may not be making the best decision for his business, but cant we just be happy that the ceo of a company only wants to make products they care about, and are not in some mad rush to expand to every possible market to make more money.

Well if he doesn't want my money ill keep it to myself, possibly spend it controllers that will last.
Maybe he'll change his tune next gen, considering the Xbox community has probably been halfed by this point.

It's not really selfish, he doesn't owe it to gamers to make peripherals for all systems.

But from a business perspective, it's foolish to ignore all demographics and markets that don't have your exact personal tastes. If there is demand for a certain system's peripherals, why ignore that in favor of your own contrarian opinions.

And I agree with what's been said in the comments so far. As a former 360 owner, PS3 has plenty more appeal to me than 360. Way more exclusives and original titles including niche titles, free online with no advertisements, plenty of deals, blu-ray discs and more out of the box hard drive space, way better relationships with indie developers, etc.

Agayek:

Mimsofthedawg:

The point he's trying to make isn't "The PS3 is worse, therefore we don't make peripherals for it".

It's "I don't use my PS3, therefore I have no need for peripherals for it, therefore we don't make peripherals for it".

He is actually saying "I play more Xbox than PS3, I am only comfortable making products for stuff I have more experience with and/or passion for" which should earn him respect. Razer could make PS3 stuff and probably get bags more profit, instead he wants to make products he likes himself not products that make the most money. The main argument in this thread so far seems to be "teh PS3 is teh awesome and it hurts he likes teh xbox /sadface" which is a poor argument.

Quality of Razer stuff notwithstanding of course, its a bunch of overpriced junk among the ocean of other overpriced junk.

Mimsofthedawg:
I have NEVER understood people like this. There is not a single damn thing the 360 has over the PS3, except for a handful of (subpar) exclusives.

The reverse is also true, though. Since the two consoles share the vast majority of games, so only reason to have more than one of them hooked up to your TV is if the other has an exclusive you want to play. At all other times, it's easier to just play everything on one console.

It's one of the reasons why console wars are painfully stupid. When the main selling point of your product is that you've bribed other game companies to only release their software for it, you have a problem.

It's funny because in the PC gaming world Razer is overpriced junk.

For the price of their cheapest Keyboards you could easily get a mechanical keyboard from a company like coolermaster. At least that's the case in NZ.

Mimsofthedawg:

Isn't that mainly because it was such a bitch to port cross platform for PS3? Games that went there HAD to stay there, while Microsoft could also put their games on PC. I wouldn't know how good the online functions work myself as my connection as always been crap: probably not "stellar" but better then PS3's. But really the only reason I switched to Xbox is because my PS2 couldn't read the disk half the time and I didn't want more of the same. My Xbox 360 has never had any trouble, but I understand that typically it isn't the most reliable console.

Whatever. It's his company; he can do what he wants. I suppose it's refreshing to see a CEO make a daft decision for reasons that aren't to do with making as much money as possible.

Neronium:

Mimsofthedawg:

Took the words right out of my mouth.
Heck if it's anything I didn't even know anything about this guy's company or what they made until this article.
I mean sure your personal preferences are nice, but basing your entire marketing style and company decisions on those isn't really good business. I mean the PS3 and the 360 aren't that different really, I own both, and the PS3 is way more popular in Japan and Europe then the 360 so this makes no sense at all.

Edit: Just checked his Twitter and it seems like he's getting crap for his comment on it. Then one of his other Tweets was about how much he loves TLoU.

Razer mostly relies on PC gamers who want something flashy to go with their neon casing. I doubt console gamers go for them.

In fact, the ONLY things they have for console gamers is a handful of items while PC gamers gets floods of choices.

http://www.razerzone.com/store/powered-for-xbox
http://www.razerzone.com/store/powered-for-pc

6 items for Xbox.

23 items for PC gamers.

Even the Xbox controller, and there is only one, is just a regular controller painted black and the razer sign stamped on it.

They sure as hell know who they are selling to.

Terramax:
Never heard of this company. And The Escapist, yet again, fails to provide any links or explanations in either this article, or previous Razor articles to explain who they are. However, the name of the person quoted looks Chinese; and if that's the case, leads me to presume they don't make very good quality products anyway.

Perhaps it's a good thing the PS3 isn't littered with more, cheap, knock-off crap.

So suddenly a Chinese name means they automatically peddle lead and crappy products?

Christ, that escalated quickly. It turned from a thread about a PC gamer reliant company to open mic night at the Klan rally in the first couple posts.

Makes sense to me, He doesn't have experience with PS3's so he doesn't try and do shit in an area where he he's clueless.
Also ITT: so many butthurt sony fanboys.

Oh hey look at that, an asshole being an asshole on twitter. and so unabashedly. I mean cripes, its one thing ot be self centered but you run a damn company. I'd look to expand as much as possible to bring in profit (though after this statement he probably turned off some decent percentage of sony users).

Oh well, guess I have a reason not to buy his stuff. well, aside from bad anecdotes from my PC playing friends who felt it wasnt worth the money.

Terramax:
Never heard of this company. And The Escapist, yet again, fails to provide any links or explanations

Razer is a videogame peripheral company that makes controllers, headphones, fight sticks, mice and keyboards for the PC and Xbox 360.

Is this not an explanation of what this company does? It's literally in the first line of the article. What more do you want, man?

OT: I have friends that swear by razor products. On the other hand, I have friends that have had super bad experiences. I've always been a logitech kind of guy (i've had this G15 keyboard and G9 mouse for like 5 years with no problems) so I can't really comment on the quality personally.

Terramax:
Never heard of this company. And The Escapist, yet again, fails to provide any links or explanations in either this article, or previous Razor articles to explain who they are. However, the name of the person quoted looks Chinese; and if that's the case, leads me to presume they don't make very good quality products anyway.

Perhaps it's a good thing the PS3 isn't littered with more, cheap, knock-off crap.

If you've never heard of Razer*, maybe Google should be your friend if the Escapist feels that they're important enough to talk about.

It's kind of astonishing that you've never heard of them, seeing how they're basically the Alienware of gaming peripherals.

Their Diamondback 7-button mouse has lasted me for over seven years, that should tell you everything you need to know about their cheap, knock-off crap.

MorphingDragon:

For the price of their cheapest Keyboards you could easily get a mechanical keyboard from a company like coolermaster. At least that's the case in NZ.

Coolermaster is the very picture of overpriced junk. The tooless case I bought from them frustrates me on a constant basis and based on my limited experience their mice and keyboards are marginally better than the crap you can buy at office max.

OT: I really don't see why people are so bothered by this. Isn't everyone always wishing devs would make the games they want to make, not what they think will make the most money? well this is that concept but with accessories instead of games.

Mimsofthedawg:
There is not a single damn thing the 360 has over the PS3,

Except a controller that isn't a miserable pile of horrible ideas and failure. (dem horrid shoulder buttons, dem convex control sticks ect.) And I say this as someone who vastly prefers the PS3 to the 360 for the most part.

major_chaos:

MorphingDragon:

Coolermaster is the very picture of overpriced junk. The tooless case I bought from them frustrates me on a constant basis and based on my limited experience their mice and keyboards are marginally better than the crap you can buy at office max.

Coolermaster is one example. Logitech has a keyboard with the same features as the Lycosa at half the price and still cheaper than the Arctosa. Roccat has similarly priced gear to Razer but with far better build quality. Of course there a companies like Ducky that make very solid keyboards which offer features like Hardware Interrupts that legitimately improve gaming instead of fancy auxiliary features. There are more and more companies entering the peripherals market as companies expand their base like Corsair.

It's also very very impressive that OfficeMax sell mechanical keyboards with Cherry switches. Project harder man.

Didn't know these guys made console accessory's, well, learn something new. As for the CEO, he's an idiot, no really, he's an idiot. He's NOT dipping into a market because 'he doesn't want to'. As entitled as he is to his opinion of the PS3, he's still an idiot for not trying to tap that market and trying to get a foot hold there.

Hell I hate the 360 but if I was in his position I'd still make a product for it.

Terramax:

1.You're lazy for not using wikipedia.
2.Tan's from Singapore.
3.Razer is a US company.
4.You are a bigot.

Revolutionary:
Makes sense to me, He doesn't have experience with PS3's so he doesn't try and do shit in an area where he he's clueless.

Makes zero sense at all if you have the slightest clue about his company. It's not like he's personally designing the goddamn products in his basement.

J Tyran:
He is actually saying "I play more Xbox than PS3, I am only comfortable making products for stuff I have more experience with and/or passion for" which should earn him respect.

No, he's actually saying "I never dust of my PS3 but for a handful of exclusives", which, to anyone who can read between the lines, means "I think the 360 would be strictly superior to the PS3 but for a small number of PS3 exclusives I'm interested in playing", which, if you can further still read between the lines, means "my 300+ employee business will only develop hardware when it helps Microsoft, not Sony, because presumably they're paying me a lot of money to paint their products up as the second coming of Christ".

The claim that "I don't know enough about the PS3 to develop products for it" makes no sense coming from a CEO's mouth. He's responsible for strategic direction, not quality control or research and development. He's a rampant M$ fanboy taking the opportunity to slag a Sony product, that's all there is to it.

DjinnFor:
No, he's actually saying "I never dust of my PS3 but for a handful of exclusives", which, to anyone who can read between the lines, means "I think the 360 would be strictly superior to the PS3 but for a small number of PS3 exclusives I'm interested in playing"

Or it means "I like to consolidate stuff on one console, because that's where my friends list is".

If you have both consoles, it's much less hassle to play all of the multiplatform releases on one of them and only dust off the other for exclusives, simply because there's no incentive to do otherwise.

Mimsofthedawg:

I never understand the point of this comments. The guy doesn't play the console, therefore he doesn't care about making peripherals for it. I've seen people that really like the Headsets/Controllers Razer makes for 360. I don't see what that has to do with the games the console has, he said "he likes the exlusives" other than that, nothing. I can't really stand controllers, especially the PS3 ones that cramp my hands due to the stick's position.

I personally don't really care about Razer thou, I've always felt their Mouses are too small.

MorphingDragon:

Corsair.

I love Corsair. I use their RAM, their speakers, their power supplies, and they have all been great, but their most basic mechanical keyboard actually costs more than the basic version of the Blackwidow and doesn't look all that feature rich.

It's also very very impressive that OfficeMax sell mechanical keyboards with Cherry switches.

What exactly makes those damn things worth so much? I swear just having them puts a keyboard in the 100+ USD price range for no good reason.

Seeing as you are apparently some kind of keyboard expert, whats a good Arctosa alternative? keep in mind, my Deathadder hes yet to disappoint me.

Terramax:

Use some of their gear and make that statement as a pissed of user; that way everyone will stop calling you a racist.

Long story short, Razor gear is largely okay but not amazing. I prefer Logitech but both companies have created some really bitching gear and some fucking awful missteps.

major_chaos:

What exactly makes those damn things worth so much? I swear just having them puts a keyboard in the 100+ USD price range for no good reason.

Mechanical ones are really good for typing because they give great tactile feedback, and a friend of mine who was a gaming fiend in days gone by liked his old IBM Model-M because the damn thing just would not die, not matter how rough he was with it.

DjinnFor:

Revolutionary:

Makes zero sense at all if you have the slightest clue about his company. It's not like he's personally designing the goddamn products in his basement.

J Tyran:
He is actually saying "I play more Xbox than PS3, I am only comfortable making products for stuff I have more experience with and/or passion for" which should earn him respect.

No, he's actually saying "I never dust of my PS3 but for a handful of exclusives", which, to anyone who can read between the lines, means "I think the 360 would be strictly superior to the PS3 but for a small number of PS3 exclusives I'm interested in playing", which, if you can further still read between the lines, means "my 300+ employee business will only develop hardware when it helps Microsoft, not Sony, because presumably they're paying me a lot of money to paint their products up as the second coming of Christ".

The claim that "I don't know enough about the PS3 to develop products for it" makes no sense coming from a CEO's mouth. He's responsible for strategic direction, not quality control or research and development. He's a rampant M$ fanboy taking the opportunity to slag a Sony product, that's all there is to it.

I was going to tick off the fallacies and contradictions in this post, I shouldnt have too but lets do some of them at least.

DjinnFor:
It's not like he's personally designing the goddamn products in his basement.

In the next breath:-

DjinnFor:
He's a rampant M$ fanboy taking the opportunity to slag a Sony product, that's all there is to it.

Which is it? He either has little to do with the direction and design of his products or hes such a rampant fanboy that he cuts his companies nose off to spite its face? Thats the most obvious one.

One of the other fallacies here is that choosing to play most multiplatform titles on one platform or the other makes someone a fanboy, can you explain this? Surely a fanboy/fangirl wouldn't buy a console from anyone apart from their chosen champion? Most of them are like you and are pretty bitter about competitors, dont try to deny it getting all /sadface because a CEO of a company that makes crappy peripherals likes the other platform is exactly the kind of behavior you see from fanboys. Maybe more of their friends own one platform or the other, maybe the online stores or retail boxes are cheaper or maybe because they like a particular service. There are any number of reasons apart from problems with the console itself and there are some of those too, XBLG has cross game chat and generally most multiplatform games run better on the 360. The you have all the timed exclusive DLC and other issues. Those are perfectly valid reasons for preferring the 360, the PS3 has its own perfectly valid reasons for choosing it too. Its a matter of taste which floats someones boat and which they prefer, none of which make someone a fanboy.

Finally you should drop the "reading between the lines" shtick, either accept it as wrong or admit its code for "making stuff up to suit my perceptions". You can either continue "reading between the lines" or actually read what he said, taking what he says at face value makes sense. You making stuff up to suit your perceptions/reading between the lines does not, its pretty ridiculous claiming someone is a fanboy because they play most of their multiplatfrom titles on a particular console. Claiming that and claiming they are such a fanboy they deny themselves and their company millions is bordering on absurdity.

Steven Bogos:
Razer's products, in particular its Xbox 360 fight sticks, are often regarded by gamers as being of very high quality and some of the best third party peripherals on the market.

Which gamers say that? Cause I want to know where they buy their shit. I baught one Razer gamepad for my 360 and it broke a month later from mere casual use. No raging throws, no 24+ hour gaming sessions, just regular, 2-3 hours a day gaming. I mean, shit, I have a MadCat controller for my old XBox that still fucking works.

I just see Razer as all flash, no substance... maybe PS3 gamers should be thankful than...

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here