Deus Ex: The Fall Launches On July 11

Deus Ex: The Fall Launches On July 11

Deus Ex: The Fall, an iOS roleplaying game spin-off of Deus Ex: Human Revolution, arrives later this week.

According to an informational blurb issued by publisher Square Enix this morning, Deus Ex: The Fall will make its iOS debut on July 11. On that day those of you with appropriately modern iPhones, iPods and iPads will be able to pick up the title for a mere $7 (4.99/€5.99 for those of you who live on the other side of The Pond).

Those hoping The Fall might be a mobile continuation of Human Revolution may want to be wary of this game however. When Deus Ex: The Fall was first teased, everyone became immediately excited by the idea of a new Deus Ex title, but when it was revealed that the game would be iOS exclusive, some suddenly started to wonder exactly how that might work.

Playing the Deus Ex games has always required many, many buttons, yet somehow Deus Ex: The Fall hopes to offer players a familiar, recognizably Deus Ex experience on devices controlled almost entirely via touchscreen. Further, unlike the excellent Deus Ex: Human Revolution, The Fall has been developed by Square Enix's mobile division (its predecessor was created by Eidos Montreal).

Still, if you're into the Deus Ex series because concepts like cyberpunk and human augmentation appeal to you, then Deus Ex: The Fall should still be a viable way to get your futurism fix. Plus, it's only $7. In the gritty, neon-stained world of tomorrow that isn't even enough scratch to buy a candy bar.

Of course you can't see the Line. The game was buried in sand!

The voice acting in that trailer is terrible. The robot voice sounds more human than the rest of them!

This seems more shooty than its parent game.

To be completely honest I'd be more interested if it was available for the Playstation Vita, because of the buttons. I've played a lot of touchscreen games that were heavily marred because of unresponsive or overresponsive controls, and would have worked much better on a traditional purpose-built handheld. Mass Effect: Infiltrator is a good example. Consider me skeptical.

All of this is coming from a big Deus Ex fan, mind you. I love the world of Deus Ex, but I find it hard to get behind this one.

It should be a crime to give a damn about this.

Generally not being one to criticize graphics... ugh... that looks awful... many Wii games look a lot much better than this, heck, the original unmodded 2000 Deus Ex looks better than this.

And good Lord, they managed to get even worse voice acting than the 2000 original!.

I'd be lying if I said I'd be surprised if anyone is sincerely excited for this, because I know there's going to be someone out there. There's always someone.

kailus13:
The voice acting in that trailer is terrible. The robot voice sounds more human than the rest of them!

Indeed. Nice to see it trying to recapture the glory of the first game in that regard.

I'm a Deus Ex fan, but the news of Blake Stone source code being found spark more enthusiasm in me than the release of... this.

Oh yay, a mobile game; Those are totally never just thrown together to cash in on more successful franchises, they always make the best of their touchscreen controls and they never dick you with microtransactions...

Sod this mobile crap and wake me up when Eidos Montreal release their follow up to Human Revolution.

This just goes to show further that they never *got* Deus Ex...

Still the animations and voice acting is pretty unforgivable.

an annoyed writer:
To be completely honest I'd be more interested if it was available for the Playstation Vita,.

I would totally buy a slightly spruced up Vita version of this, continuing the Icarus Effect story seems a neat idea too.

I wanted Deus Ex, it gave me Angry Birds...

octafish:
I wanted Deus Ex, it gave me Angry Birds...

Hey, I'd go for a Adam Jensen Throws Vending Machines physics game.

Was there anything positive about this thing? Everything i've read has been "f**k it" to downright hate and dev death threats.

This is just ridiculous. They are simply putting the Deus Ex name on a game they want to sell well. Lots of companies do this. I mean, the last one was a big success for the company, you don't followup with a mobile game. These guys could teach a class on how to alienate your fans.

Unlike most people on here I don't really hate mobile based gaming. I just think most developers haven't figured out how to make it work for anything more complex than Angry Birds yet. Case in point, this game that no one asked for, and was only given a release date three freaking days before it comes out.

Much like the Lone Ranger movie, this is going to be one of those "Well the numbers said people knew about [Deus Ex/Lone Ranger] and people like [Tablets/Johnny Depp], so we have no idea why it didn't make money!"

Stevepinto3:
Much like the Lone Ranger movie, this is going to be one of those "Well the numbers said people knew about [Deus Ex/Lone Ranger] and people like [Tablets/Johnny Depp], so we have no idea why it didn't make money!"

Hit the nail on the head. Just at a glance I can respect the studio for trying to branch out into the casual waters of the IOS store, but in all honesty the IOS market has already gotten itself a reputation for spewing out hollow games.

That and I wouldn't touch an iPad with a ten foot stick, my Samsung is far too pretty.

Oh look! A Deus Ex game I would love to play, but it's on iOS!

Dammit, here I was getting all excited that there had somehow been a follow-up to Human Revolution that had somehow snuck under my radar being released! :(

I'll have to give it a miss as I don't have an iPad, but even if I did have an iPad I'd probably give it a miss; the voice acting in the game looks godawful and I've no idea how Human Revolution's gameplay would work on a touchscreen.

Waaghpowa:
Oh look! A Deus Ex game I would love to play, but it's on iOS!

Yeah, best case scenario, this can snag the, "I wish this was on something with a proper control scheme" Award...<.<

Okay, now show me the trailer with my hands all in front of the goddamned screen touching everything to make it do this.

Touchscreens are a great idea for gaming until you realize that your hand is opaque.

Also, I'm going to go start a new game in Deus Ex(2000) now, only way to get that disappointing sequel out of my head.

I'm amazed the "I didn't ask for this" meme has yet to rear its head in this thread.

Seriously, I'm not going to get excited for a game on iOS tablets.

Even if it has Deus Ex in the title.

When this game bombs, it will be seen as the fault of the Deus Ex series rather than iOS gaming as a concept. We will not, as a result, see an actual sequel to HR for the next decade.

I hate to rain on their parade, but this game has poor prospects. The problem Squeenix have here is that they're developing a game based on a "proper" video game for a mobile platform with touch controls. The audience/fans of Deus Ex aren't going to be excited by this, and to everyone else, this is just another App in the app store and not a cheap one at $7 a pop.

They've made a game targetted at an audience that doesn't exist for a platform few of the franchise's fans care to game on. Not having it available to android, the most popular smartphone platform is also a major oversight.

HA! Nice dig about the candy bars!

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here