Half-Life 2 Speedrun Record Falls To Sub-90 Minute Game

Half-Life 2 Speedrun Record Falls To Sub-90 Minute Game

Half-Life 2 can be completed in an hour and a half, and we've got the video footage to prove it.

Half-Life 2 is a monumental game. Not only is it inarguably one of the best shooters created to date, but it's underlying technology has also been used to create a handful of titles that are arguably even more popular. With such success, it's only natural that those gamers who dedicate themselves to burning through games as quickly as humanly possible would be attracted to Half-Life 2, and thus we present the clip at top-right.

That footage was taken by the SourceRuns speedrunning community, and it marks a new world record for runs through Half-Life 2 that are not assisted by outside programs of technology. The SourceRuns crew does rely on glitches present in the Half-Life 2 code and the video has been edited from some 200 gameplay segments, but beyond that the clip is basically just a capture of really, really dedicated Half-Life 2 fans turning the game on its head in an effort to reach the end as quickly as possible.

According to the notes attached to the YouTube video, the creation of this speedrun involved 600 days of effort, and the end result is a completion time of 1:27:51.09. The SourceRuns crew has promised to release a second video in the near future explaining all of the techniques it used to create this first vignette, and we'll be sure to keep an eye out for that. In the meantime, maybe some of you think you could do better. Maybe you've spent years practicing your Source kung fu, and now you've finally got a stage on which to share your talents. I tell you what: If any of you can offer video proof of a faster Half-Life 2 run, I'll not only report on the story, but I'll say very complimentary things about your appearance and the way your hair smells.

Because here at The Escapist, we care.

Source: PC Gamer

And people complain modern shooters are too short.

To be honest I am surprised it is possible due to all of the sections where it is necessary to wait for doors to open and such.

Earnest Cavalli:
...I'll say very complimentary things about your appearance and the way your hair smells.

Because here at The Escapist, we care.

*Screams incoherently and starts rocking back and forth.*

I'm a bit disappointed that it isn't a single segment run. It's more impressive when someone can haul some serious ass in the game from start to finish and not rely on chopping it up in to manageable pieces. Still, they've done it faster than I ever could so kudos to them.

Article needs moar Half Life 3 speculation. Why can't Valve speedrun HL3's development?

Half Life 3.
I want it.

bismarck55:
Article needs moar Half Life 3 speculation. Why can't Valve speedrun HL3's development?

Half Life 3.
I want it.

All the internets to the one who can find the most convoluted way of proving this run time actually means HL3 confirmed

DVS BSTrD:

bismarck55:

Half Life 3.
I want it.

All the internets to the one who can find the most convoluted way of proving this run time actually means HL3 confirmed

the game is done in an hour and a half.

or, 90 minutes, 90/3=30, 30/10=3

Half Life 3 confirmed.

Right after TF2 gets updated on the 360, which also has a 3 in it's name.

Suquencebreaks!!!

The item grab hover reminds me of power bomb chaining in Metroid, except it looks even harder to do.

DVS BSTrD:

bismarck55:

Half Life 3.
I want it.

It was completed in three halfs of an hour.

Actually, not quite. It was completed in 1:27:51.9.

If we divide THAT by 3 by removing the colons to make 12751.9, then put the colons back in place, we get 59:17.1.

5 and 9 = September 5. 17.1 = 5:06 PM.

If you need further proof, 17.1 -> 171. 171 / 3 = 57. 5+7 = 12. Counting from twelve, it's five hours and seven minutes. If we take the half-life of that gap, it's a mere 30 seconds, and 30 -> 3+0 = 3.

The cincher is that 12 -> 1+2 = 3.

IT'S COMING, GUYS!

Bonus marks if you spot the mistake.

Umm, is this really a newsworthy occasion? I am all for bringing up the classics but this is ridiculous.

watching this with a freind. We're simply flabbergasted as to how fast this is.

CriticalMiss:
I'm a bit disappointed that it isn't a single segment run. It's more impressive when someone can haul some serious ass in the game from start to finish and not rely on chopping it up in to manageable pieces. Still, they've done it faster than I ever could so kudos to them.

I agree with this. I sort of feel like speedruns only "count" when they're a single run and aren't tool assisted.

CriticalMiss:

Hmm... I could've sworn Marshmallow's 2 1/2 hour run was single-segment, but apparently it's not.

Well anyway... I helped with the earlier HL2 speedrun, "Half-Life 2 Done Quick". And by "helped" I mean that I held the record on two of the airboat chapters for about half a day before someone beat me. My name is in the credits though! :)

You can find that run, coming in at 1:36:57 total, here: http://archive.org/details/HalfLife2_13657

Here's the "outtakes" video from that run:

Edit: After watching a little bit of this new run, I'll say that I don't think it can be directly compared with HL2DQ: this new run was done using the updated version of HL2 that uses the Orange Box engine, while HL2DQ used the original version. There are several exploitable glitches that were fixed in this change, while others were added. Thanks to Accelerated Back Hopping, runners can now move significantly faster across open ground than they could using the old bunny-hopping method.

If its edited together, than its not a speedrun. Thats like saying you beat an older console game on an emulator without dying, but used savestates.

amaranth_dru:
If its edited together, than its not a speedrun. Thats like saying you beat an older console game on an emulator without dying, but used savestates.

Speedruns have three separate categories, that are all counted separately. Single-segment, segmented, and tool-assisted. This is segmented; tool-assisted is where you're allowed to take a game frame-by-frame and wrestle every millisecond you can out of the game, even if you're doing things that no human could ever do with a controller. In 2003 somebody had a famous 11-minute tool-assisted run of Mario 3; after everyone found out that he didn't "really" play it, they called it "fake". In that case, I don't think he did anything that was physically impossible, just incredibly unlikely.

According to this page, there was a recent single-segment run done by "S." with a time of 2:16:54. That video was done with the "old" engine, so it can be directly compared to the HL2DQ run. I think you can find that video here, but I haven't watched it yet.

AC10:

CriticalMiss:

I agree with this. I sort of feel like speedruns only "count" when they're a single run and aren't tool assisted.

As long as people are up front about how they did it I don't think it really matters. They have different categories of speed runs and the main thing is being honest about how you got it.

I used to love speed running the boss challenge in Aria of Sorrow. I don't remember my times anymore, several minutes, I used to play it all the time, especially during bathroom breaks.

Anyone else find that motamo's obsession with assess annoying after the first.... 50 or so times that they did it? Like really? every single woman , constantly, for every run you're doing? come on guy...

Could always tell when it was motamo's 'turn' because their entrance was always punctuated by lots of closeups, none of the others seemed to feel this compulsion >.<...

I guess that I'm dumb for not knowing; but how does he do that super fast backwards run and flying jump stuff?

The only speed run that matters is Super Metroid.

My god mockball was revolutionary.

th3xile:
I guess that I'm dumb for not knowing; but how does he do that super fast backwards run and flying jump stuff?

It's something to do with the Source Engine. It's how Portal speed runs work, too; and also why I never care for watching speed runs of Source Engine games. It just isn't fun to watch people backwards-hop their way through the game; though admittedly some of the tricks they use are interesting, like how he grabbed that box so he could jump the line at the beginning, then pissed-off the guards so they'd smash-up a nearby bench so he could grab the board and put it into one of the actors to cause him to glitch straight to his next script location rather than him slowly walking there. Sections like that are why I might actually sit through the HL2 speed run at least. Always fun to see what glitches, exploits and work-arounds the speed runners found.

bafrali:
Umm, is this really a newsworthy occasion? I am all for bringing up the classics but this is ridiculous.

Yes, it's newsworthy. If you don't like it, there's about a dozen news posts a day, go read one of those. Seriously, these "is this newsworthy" posts are worse than people who act all proud because they managed to post a news bit before one of the editors did.

amaranth_dru:

Speed runs come in all shapes and sizes. If this was a case of one person trying to hog all the glory and claiming it was his run, then you might have a point, but this is the team being up-front about what methods they used to complete the run. It's about the demonstration more than anything else.

Some_weirdGuy:
Anyone else find that motamo's obsession with assess annoying after the first.... 50 or so times that they did it? Like really? every single woman , constantly, for every run you're doing? come on guy...

Could always tell when it was motamo's 'turn' because their entrance was always punctuated by lots of closeups, none of the others seemed to feel this compulsion >.<...

I found them annoying after the first time.

I was actually getting into the speed run until Matmo's runs started showing up more frequently. Every time I saw his name at the bottom of the screen I just tuned out for a minute or two.

Honestly, if he's not under fifteen years of age chronologically he's most certainly there mentally. Incessant close ups of every pair of breasts or female butt. Tea bagging almost every dead male. Even using a chunk of wood to mimic poking people with a penis.

I imagine the guy is incredibly annoying and abrasive in real life. Like that annoying, shitty cousin that everyone hates to see at holiday gatherings.

But then, to be fair, a vast majority of the speed runs I've seen over the years were done by people with the personalities of hormone and energy-drink fueled, ADHD afflicted teens. Even the older players.

So I guess the fact that the childish behavior was mostly limited to Matmos runs is actually quite surprising.

Neato accomplishment from the team and the video is cool to watch in bursts, but I wouldn't watch it all - unlike the tool-assisted Metroid runs, I don't know why.

Earnest Cavalli:
Half-Life 2 is a monumental game. Not only is it inarguably one of the best shooters created to date, but it's underlying technology has also been used to create a handful of titles that are arguably even more popular.

Thanks - can you/this be blamed for the next glut of "What's so special about Half-Life 2?" threads? Surprisingly there isn't one currently in the first couple of pages of Gaming Discussion.

WhiteTigerShiro:

th3xile:

It's something to do with the Source Engine. It's how Portal speed runs work, too; and also why I never care for watching speed runs of Source Engine games. It just isn't fun to watch people backwards-hop their way through the game; though admittedly some of the tricks they use are interesting, like how he grabbed that box so he could jump the line at the beginning, then pissed-off the guards so they'd smash-up a nearby bench so he could grab the board and put it into one of the actors to cause him to glitch straight to his next script location rather than him slowly walking there. Sections like that are why I might actually sit through the HL2 speed run at least. Always fun to see what glitches, exploits and work-arounds the speed runners found.

It's only as of the Orange Box engine; the release engine for HL2 had bunny hopping as the quickest way to get around. Valve tried to fix this by pushing you away from the direction you're facing if you're going too fast; this led to the backwards hopping you see in the later games. Since HL2 got updated to the Orange Box engine, that's the way it's done now for that game.

Hopefully you'd find either of the runs I linked to above more entertaining; they both use the release engine, so forwards-bunny-hopping is the key there.

lacktheknack:

DVS BSTrD:

bismarck55:

Half Life 3.
I want it.

It was completed in three halfs of an hour.

Actually, not quite. It was completed in 1:27:51.9.

If we divide THAT by 3 by removing the colons to make 12751.9, then put the colons back in place, we get 59:17.1.

5 and 9 = September 5. 17.1 = 5:06 PM.

If you need further proof, 17.1 -> 171. 171 / 3 = 57. 5+7 = 12. Counting from twelve, it's five hours and seven minutes. If we take the half-life of that gap, it's a mere 30 seconds, and 30 -> 3+0 = 3.

The cincher is that 12 -> 1+2 = 3.

IT'S COMING, GUYS!

Bonus marks if you spot the mistake.

You're all making this needlessly complex, you forget that the guy on the train at start has transfered THREE times. Ergo, hl3 confirmed! I am gonna go pre order it right now~

OT: I like how he keeps stacking things, just out of boredom apparently.

Earnest Cavalli:
the creation of this speedrun involved 600 days of effort

Pretty sure I completed Half-Life 2 faster than that.

Teoes:

Earnest Cavalli:
Half-Life 2 is a monumental game. Not only is it inarguably one of the best shooters created to date, but it's underlying technology has also been used to create a handful of titles that are arguably even more popular.

Thanks - can you/this be blamed for the next glut of "What's so special about Half-Life 2?" threads? Surprisingly there isn't one currently in the first couple of pages of Gaming Discussion.

Beat me to it.

Admittedly those threads are a guilty pleasure to me, but they're abundance is staggering.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here