Obsidian Would Love Another Chance at Fallout

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Ultratwinkie:

RT:

Ultratwinkie:

Obsidian are the left overs of black isle, so yes, they were the creators. Hell, Chris Avellone wrote the once canon fallout bible.

Did you even read what I just wrote? There were two teams in Black Isle: one of them created Fallout and then formed Troika. The other made Fallout 2 (and even without looking in the credits its painfully obvious it was made by different people) and then formed Obsidian.

Did you see who actually fucking works there? A lot of the Fallout devs came to Obsidian. It doesn't matter how they split, they mostly ended at Obsidian.

Feargus Urquhart is at Obsidian.
Even Tim Cain is at Obsidian.

So you are the one who isn't reading, because you have highly outdated information.

Urquhart has jack to do with the actual game development, as for Cain, he joined after New Vegas. And most of the actual creative power behind the original still isn't there - Anderson, Boyarski, Fargo.

RT:

Ultratwinkie:

RT:
Did you even read what I just wrote? There were two teams in Black Isle: one of them created Fallout and then formed Troika. The other made Fallout 2 (and even without looking in the credits its painfully obvious it was made by different people) and then formed Obsidian.

Did you see who actually fucking works there? A lot of the Fallout devs came to Obsidian. It doesn't matter how they split, they mostly ended at Obsidian.

So you are the one who isn't reading, because you have highly outdated information.

Urquhart has jack to do with the actual game development, as for Cain, he joined after New Vegas. And most of the actual creative power behind the original still isn't there - Anderson, Boyarski, Fargo.

Doesn't really matter if Anderson and Boyarski aren't there.

Boyarski hasn't done anything noteworthy in 8 years, and was said to be burned out. He's done.

Anderson is with Brain Fargo in Inxile. He moved on.

The fact Cain is there trumps the other two, and Brain Fargo is more focused on Wasteland 2. Of the 3 people you listed, they all moved on. One is completely burned out.

Cain is the only one really left. In fact the majority of the original dev team gave up. The realities of the industry completely burned these people.

Ultratwinkie:

RT:

Ultratwinkie:

Boyarski hasn't done anything noteworthy in 8 years, and was said to be burned out. He's done.

The fact Cain is there trumps the other two, and Brain Fargo is more focused on Wasteland 2. Of the 3 people you listed, they all moved on. One is completely burned out.

Cain is the only one really left. In fact the majority of the original dev team gave up. The realities of the industry completely burned these people.

...anything noteworthy other than Diablo 3.

RT:

Ultratwinkie:

RT:

yeah, a game that was is the bud of every joke and received huge player criticism from everything to the gameplay to the business ethics.

Really a trail blazer we would expect from a creator of Fallout huh? /sarcasm

Ultratwinkie:

RT:

Ultratwinkie:

yeah, a game that was is the bud of every joke and received huge player criticism from everything to the gameplay to the business ethics.

...and also has average metacritic score of 88 and sells 3 millions on PC (which is nigh impossible nowadays with the torrents and such).

RT:

Ultratwinkie:

RT:

...and also has average metacritic score of 88 and sells 3 millions on PC (which is nigh impossible nowadays with the torrents and such).

Metacritic doesn't mean much, and Simcity sold millions of copies.

hell, even Aliens: colonial marines sold well.

Critic scores and sales don't denote what players think. Its a well known franchise, of course its going to sell millions.

Simcity received high marks at first, it wasn't until player backlash did it change. The original reviews have yet to change and simcity is regarded as the biggest turd to ever come out since Big Rigs.

http://www.vg247.com/2012/05/21/how-diablo-3-gave-metacritic-a-giant-middle-finger/

In fact, Diablo 3 tried to stay away from metacritic, and any AAA game that isn't a 90 is a kiss of death.

So don't even bother trying to defend Diablo 3 when hordes of players hate its guts.

Well, the people who were responsible for Dead Money could pretty much get my get-go to take over the entire planet if they wanted to.

Ultratwinkie:

RT:

Ultratwinkie:

Critic scores and sales don't denote what players think. Its a well known franchise, of course its going to sell millions.

Simcity received high marks at first, it wasn't until player backlash did it change. The original reviews have yet to change and simcity is regarded as the biggest turd to ever come out since Big Rigs.

http://www.vg247.com/2012/05/21/how-diablo-3-gave-metacritic-a-giant-middle-finger/

In fact, Diablo 3 tried to stay away from metacritic, and any AAA game that isn't a 90 is a kiss of death.

So don't even bother trying to defend Diablo 3 when hordes of players hate its guts.

According to VGChartz SimCity DIDN'T sell millions and ACM is multiplatform FPS, mainstream genre on mainstream platforms.

RT:

Ultratwinkie:

RT:

According to VGChartz SimCity DIDN'T sell millions and ACM is multiplatform FPS, mainstream genre on mainstream platforms.

Vg charts is shoddy as hell. Especially on PC games. PC games rely on rdigital sales, which VGcharts doesn't even begin to track. Anyone with any sense would know that.

In fact, I doubt you even play PC games at all.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/simcity-sells-11-million-in-two-weeks-6405505

Sold 1.1 in two weeks.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-05-07-simcity-has-sold-over-1-6-million-units

Then it reached 1.6. Even with the server issues. This is just the sales we KNOW about, not even the total sales. Sold more than Aliens Colonial marines has.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123916-Aliens-Colonial-Marines-Sales-Prove-Bafflingly-Massive

Diablo 3 only sold because of franchise recognition, not quality.

Ultratwinkie:

RT:

Ultratwinkie:

Vg charts is shoddy as hell. Especially on PC games. PC games rely on rdigital sales, which VGcharts doesn't even begin to track. Anyone with any sense would know that.

Sold 1.1 in two weeks.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-05-07-simcity-has-sold-over-1-6-million-units

Then it reached 1.6. Even with the server issues. This is just the sales we KNOW about, not even the total sales. Sold more than Aliens Colonial marines has.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/123916-Aliens-Colonial-Marines-Sales-Prove-Bafflingly-Massive

Well, that "I doubt you even play PC games at all" came out pretty offensive, wrong and outta freaking nowhere. Yeah, I do play PC games. That was the only platform I had 'till this winter and even after that, my PS3 collects dust and sometimes I want to sell it and regret buying.

Anyhow, it sold and it has millions audience and Boyarski was a lead world designer and I don't think this was the reason players hated the game. As far as I've heard, they hated it for the same reason as SimCity - DRM (I'd say "shitty DRM", but that would've been redundant).

RT:

Ultratwinkie:

RT:

Sold 1.1 in two weeks.

Well, that "I doubt you even play PC games at all" came out pretty offensive, wrong and outta freaking nowhere. Yeah, I do play PC games. That was the only platform I had 'till this winter and even after that, my PS3 collects dust and sometimes I want to sell it and regret buying.

Anyhow, it sold and it has millions audience and Boyarski was a lead world designer and I don't think this was the reason players hated the game. As far as I've heard, they hated it for the same reason as SimCity - DRM (I'd say "shitty DRM", but that would've been redundant).

I asked because you seem to rely on retail sales, which has been dead on PC for almost a decade now.

Secondly, it was also called highly repetitive which world design is meant to break up. I don't see people praise the level or world design.

"grey blur I forgot the moment i left" isn't the same as "good level design."

Ultratwinkie:

RT:

Ultratwinkie:

Sold 1.1 in two weeks.

I asked because you seem to rely on retail sales, which has been dead on PC for almost a decade now.

Secondly, it was also called highly repetitive which world design is meant to break up. I don't see people praise the level or world design.

"grey blur I forgot the moment i left" isn't the same as "good level design."

I've got a link to my Steam account in my profile, see for yourself.

Anyway, Diablo 3 counts as a notable game. Not exactly great, but notable.

We would love that too. Let them do it Bethesda. Please please please let them. We all loved new Vegas

A thousand times yes. Fallout 3 was great in exploration, but absolutely failed in it's story, railroading you into crap that removed you from a good roleplay. "You are not a mercenary!", the Brotherhood of Steel will tell you, despite continuously taking jobs only for the reward or nuking a major settlement for the petty cash and a nice house. Little is explained, and everything that is offered relies on you being taken for granted and assuming that you're only playing the game one way.

New Vegas, on the other hand, was a masterpiece of choice and storytelling. Practically no railroading, you could kill everyone and still solve any quest (good old fashioned Cut the Rope), and no matter how you decided to play your role, they fit it into the game. I'd love to see the greater exploration (distinct monuments and ruined highways were better than sparsely decorated desert) and unique weapon building of Fallout 3 added to the wonderful beauty that is New Vegas.

But what are you people talking about stability? Two hundred hours of either game provide a bug density greater than the biblical locust swarms that blotted out the sky. Yeah, the opening salvo of New Vegas had some impressive and nightmare-inducing issues, but most of those got fixes of one sort or another, and it's not like its Capitol Wasteland sibling got off scott free on that ride.

I don't care who develops it, both games were fun to play. But for the love of all that is great, let me murder everyone (fine, not children, but don't make them pricks I want to Mini-nuke, either), fill the map with interesting things, give me multiple roles to play in these role-playing games, polish up the crafting system from both games into one enjoyable aside, and get some more QA testers, PLEASE.

Teoes:
I've got NV, why have I never given it a proper play through? Oh yeah, because at the moment I'm scared of sinking another several hundred hours into an open world RPG like that.. because we all know that putting just 100 hours into 1 character is nowhere near enough.

In other words, despite some lack of first-hand experience on my part I'd love to see them get this chance too.

(Actually for that above admission do I deserve to be mocked, shunned and shamed per this week's Jimquisition?)

You should get over that fear. It's seriously hindering your life. Luckily, you are already equipped with all the tools you need to fix this serious issue to your personal happiness. Your friends all want this for you. We believe you can do it.

I've been pleased by Obsidian in their Fallouts, though I liked New Vegas better than 3 by leaps and bounds. Both are great games, but I've never felt so alone in the fallout world as I had in 3.

In New Vegas I was never relaly alone, and I liked a lot of the characters in the game. Even the neurotic AI combat armor, and uhm... myself in OWB.

I do have one request though! Use a better character creation engine. :/ It's hard to make a nice appearance in 3, and NV coz I always look diffirent from the creation screen.

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here