Ender's Game Author Asks For Tolerance After Boycott Threat

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

rhizhim:
so why did they send kids into space again?

anyways, i doubt people will forgive him. it reached the interweb. and the net never forgets nor does it easily forgive.

That's what my good friend Chris Brown says everyday when he wakes up.

jetriot:

Fdzzaigl:
Honestly, I don't care what he said in regards to viewing the film or not. A few years back almost 30% of my country voted for an extremist party and today over 30% votes for a party that I really don't agree with.

However, when I go to the baker and grocer or when some other tradesman comes around to fix stuff in the house, I don't question or regard their political or ideological thinking either (even though the chance that some of them voted for said extremists is high). It's the work they do or the product they sell that's important.

I think the same way about the book and game: judge those things on their own merits.

You can judge the person of the author outside of that.

THIS! People sit on their high and mighty horses seeking to destroy others for their political/social/religious opinions when it is they who are seeking to destroy free speech with boycotts. They make people afraid to dissent or speak their mind because it is politically incorrect. In the past I fell for the same traps until I realized that my boycotts were simply a tool of political correctness and speech policing. His opinion is VALID. We disagree with his opinion but we don't want to make other people afraid to have the same opinion and voice it.

how is it valid that legalizing gay marriage is "the end of democracy in America"

and if you're opinion is that gays are trying to undermine democracy by getting married, you probably should be afraid to voice it.

just because you have an opinion doesnt mean that its not wrong and completely ignorant

Do you dislike paedophiles? Do you read any of Lewis Carroll's work (such as the Alice books)? Do you listen to Dr. Dre? He is a woman beater. How about Tim Allen (Galaxy Quest, Home Improvement, ect)? He was a drug addict who sold his friends down the river for a reduced sentence. Elvis Costello was a racist (as is Kramer from Seinfeld). Marvin Harrison (american football player) is an attempted murder. Chuck Berry was a pervert (as is PeeWee Herman). I could probably go on for quite a while, but the point is, I can almost guarantee that you enjoy some form of entertainment from someone you would probably despise, but because OSC was public about his indiscretion you want to organize a boycott.

My main point here is this, people only seem to be outraged when they are told they should be. Otherwise they don't care enough to look into the source of the things they enjoy. Hell if half the people knew what went on at the farms where they got their meats they would probably go vegan. However when I attempt to tell people about this stuff, they don't want to hear it shortly there after.

If you want to make a statement and not buy his stuff, great. However, don't expect other people to always follow suit. Was what he said/did wrong? Yes! Does it affect the quality of his work? No. Bottom line, if you want to avoid him I will support you. If you try to tell other people they are wrong for not wanting to support him, I will tell you that you are wrong.[/quote]

I most likely do enjoy media that comes from people that I fiercely disagree with. The difference between that and OSC is that he made his views well-known and uses money to fund them. Had he simply kept his mouth shut, I wouldn't have been any the wiser (similar with Domino's Pizza) and would have enjoyed his work.

But now his bigotry is staring me in the face so I have to react to it. Think of it as "Don't Ask, Don't Tell."

Spearmaster:

Andrew_C:

Spearmaster:

Fair enough, as long as we are acknowledging that it can lead to censorship of views

Yes I agree, Card is fair game but what about the movie studio? Is it their fault for making a movie from a book that just happened to be written by a bigot? Do they now have to research the personal views of a creator of a property for fear of a boycott? They already avoid any material which is seen as insensitive.

I'm arguing that the innocent claim of "I'm just choosing not to spend my money to support X" doesn't exist, its more complicated than that when it moves from a silent boycott to a public protest boycott.

The problem is a boycott IS meant to harm others financially because someone disagrees with their views, Card has no power to make any relevant changes in policy which has already been stated, so the statement being made is "think like us or we will try and cause you financial hardship" I don't see any other message.

An olive branch of "conform to our views or we will cause you financial harm"? When have people ever responded well when threatened?

I don't really mind people boycotting something but it seems like an ineffective way to gain an understanding from that person.

You and several other in this thread appear to be trying to frame this as the boycotters somehow infringing Card's freedom of speech or the freedom of commerce of the movie studio. Would we still be having this conversation if he had called for interracial marriage to be criminalised, was a prominent member of the KKK and was well known for spouting racist bile? I think not.

I'm not saying that there is any infringement of Card's or the movie studios rights, just that there are many other factors to a boycott than simply not supporting something. There are censorship issues and free commerce issues but people have to know those issues exist so they can decide on the morality of each boycott for them selves.

Implying that they haven't. No one here is ignorant of what they are doing; they've heard that OSC is using his money to fund anti-gay lobbying. They reasoned out that if they give him money, they will inadvertently be funding anti-gay lobbying. They decide to not give him money as a result. It might even be a decision as simple as they don't like him so they won't give him any money. In either case, they can do whatever they please.

PainInTheAssInternet:

Spearmaster:

Andrew_C:

You and several other in this thread appear to be trying to frame this as the boycotters somehow infringing Card's freedom of speech or the freedom of commerce of the movie studio. Would we still be having this conversation if he had called for interracial marriage to be criminalised, was a prominent member of the KKK and was well known for spouting racist bile? I think not.

I'm not saying that there is any infringement of Card's or the movie studios rights, just that there are many other factors to a boycott than simply not supporting something. There are censorship issues and free commerce issues but people have to know those issues exist so they can decide on the morality of each boycott for them selves.

Implying that they haven't. No one here is ignorant of what they are doing; they've heard that OSC is using his money to fund anti-gay lobbying. They reasoned out that if they give him money, they will inadvertently be funding anti-gay lobbying. They decide to not give him money as a result. It might even be a decision as simple as they don't like him so they won't give him any money. In either case, they can do whatever they please.

Show me one person that is sending a check to Card to see this film.

This movie boycott will prevent more money from getting to popcorn vendors at theaters than it will prevent Card from getting. Just saying...

Spearmaster:

PainInTheAssInternet:

Spearmaster:

Show me one person that is sending a check to Card to see this film.

This movie boycott will prevent more money from getting to popcorn vendors at theaters than it will prevent Card from getting. Just saying...

Movie ticket sales and/or future success for OSC. The second half of your statement is basically of the mentality of "My vote doesn't count so why bother?" Apart from that, they won't be affected that much if at all because there will be other movies in the multiplex and if this movie fails to bring an audience it will be replaced with another anyways.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here