Square Enix Confirms Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster Limited Edition

Square Enix Confirms Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster Limited Edition

Square Enix has released a details about the Limited Edition and a new trailer comparing the original versions to their HD upgrades.

Recently, GameStop let it slip that Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster was probably going to be getting a limited release version, presumably containing some nifty extras. Now, Square Enix has confirmed the Limited Edition to be real and released details to wet the appetites of eager fans. Additionally the company has also put out a new video comparing the original games on the PlayStation 2 to the upgraded high definition versions that will be included in Remaster.

The video is pretty self explanatory, showing off a split version of the opening sequence of Final Fantasy X with the standard definition game on the left and the high definition upgrade on the right. To Square Enix's credit, the improvements are actually quite impressive. The new edition is a lot smoother to the eye, and definitely earns its HD moniker.

Fans interested in the Limited Edition meanwhile, will find themselves in line for some neat extras. In addition to special packaging for the game itself, the Limited Edition will include a twenty-four page book filled with concept art from the early stages of Final Fantasy X and X-2's development. The book will also include quotes and commentary from members of the original development team and a special message from producer Yoshinori Kitase, who was heavily involved in both games. Fans hoping to snag a copy of the Limited Edition can receive a free upgrade by pre-ordering Remaster. The collection itself still has no official release date, but according to Square Enix, we "won't have to wait long because it's coming [soon]!"

Source: PlayStation Blog

Environments looks a lot better, but all the characters besides Tidus look...bluh.

I find the change of colour on Tidus' hair interesting. I want to see how it's going to feel when he looks a bit more real and less cartoony, but other than that it looks beautiful and I want them to hurry up and release it =D

Do I need to preorder from Gamestop or Square directly? This edition must be mine.

My main question is this, are the remasters the International versions?
Mainly because I cancelled my Let's Play of FF X International and was told that these would contain the International editions, and if that is true then I can pick up on that again. Otherwise it's back to Final Fantasy X International on the PS2.
The art book is neat, but will it be the same preorder in Japan as well? I ask because when I imported Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 ReMix I ended up getting a code for the Kingdom Hearts Browser game made by Square Enix, however in the US and Europe you'll be only getting the art book and not the Browser game it would seem.

Yes it looks good, and i hope it does well, however at least form the video i hope there is still work to do on the lighting as it looks a little flat to me compared to the original. I have done my own mini remaster with an emulator (ok just messing with the settings but still) and although the models and textures are nowhere near as detailed as this remake the better lighting form the older one makes it look a bit more alive to me. i don't know it could be that the slight blurriness form the lower resolution models make it feel a bit more organic.

That being said i will still pick it up at some point i mean i am quite happy with the anniversary edition of FF7 that was put on steam recently ( yes i know it has been out for a while).

I hope it does well, i am looking forward to that more than i am the latest crap they are going to try to call a final fantasy game.

Oh and PLEASE PLEASE can we have Japanese voice option in the English version PLEASE!

Neronium:
Mainly because I cancelled my Let's Play of FF X International and was told that these would contain the International editions, and if that is true then I can pick up on that again. Otherwise it's back to Final Fantasy X International on the PS2.
The art book is neat, but will it be the same preorder in Japan as well? I ask because when I imported Kingdom Hearts HD 1.5 ReMix I ended up getting a code for the Kingdom Hearts Browser game made by Square Enix, however in the US and Europe you'll be only getting the art book and not the Browser game it would seem.

The Remaster versions are based on the International Editions.

StewShearer:

Neronium:

The Remaster versions are based on the International Editions.

Hooray, which means me importing FF X International was pointless! :D
Seriously, Square loves to troll me at times. *puts on tinfoil hat*

On the bright side I didn't import X-2 International + Last Mission otherwise I'd have wasted more money. Now to wait for them to come out to re-start the LP again. *sits in corner and waits*

I would strongly consider buying this game if a) it was the international version, with dark aeons and stuff, and 2) it includes a new game+ option. I'd hate to have to redo all those @*$%&# mini-games more than once.

The_Great_Galendo:
I would strongly consider buying this game if a) it was the international version, with dark aeons and stuff, and 2) it includes a new game+ option. I'd hate to have to redo all those @*$%&# mini-games more than once.

According to the StewShearer of the article the International versions are what the remasters are. Also, there have never been New Game + in the International versions to my knowledge, otherwise it'd be too easy.

alj:
Oh and PLEASE PLEASE can we have Japanese voice option in the English version PLEASE!

i believe SE said that it wouldn't, mainly due to needing to fit on PSVita.

To be honest, I am not that impressed with the HD-ness but I will still get it 'cos I love that game. It's the only FF that I've liked so far ... not that I have played any of the others really.

The textures are still kind of blurry and rough around the edges.

I think it's quite interesting how they changed the shade of things though, such as Yuna's face and Kimahri's fur on his shoulders.

Neronium:

The_Great_Galendo:

According to the StewShearer of the article the International versions are what the remasters are. Also, there have never been New Game + in the International versions to my knowledge, otherwise it'd be too easy.

Pretty doubtful about the new game+ for the FFX remaster but X-2 does have the option, so I guess it's not totally out of the realm of possibility. As for the "too easy" thing, if people want the option to breeze through the game there really isn't any reason why they shouldn't have it if they actually beat the game normally first.

Tiamattt:

Neronium:

The_Great_Galendo:

Pretty doubtful about the new game+ for the FFX remaster but X-2 does have the option, so I guess it's not totally out of the realm of possibility. As for the "too easy" thing, if people want the option to breeze through the game there really isn't any reason why they shouldn't have it if they actually beat the game normally first.

Ah, didn't know about the x-2 one since I don't own X-2 International. But I guess they can have that option if they want, it just feels like it makes things too easy unless they ramp up the difficulty of the monsters as well like how they do in the Challenge modes for Ratchet and Clank.

Edit: Seems I was wrong about the New Game Plus thing in Internationals as XII International has 2 New Game Plus modes and then X-2 International seems to have one. I apologize.

Neronium:

Yep. International Edition on both X and X-2. I am stoked.

Damn you SE. I said you would never agin get money out of me using Final Fantasy (due to me hating everything after X) but that looks so much better than when I use my ps2. You win. I will get it.

Edit: Or I would get it if it were available for preorder in uk. But it is not. So now I both love and hate you. Damned SE!

alj:
Yes it looks good, and i hope it does well, however at least form the video i hope there is still work to do on the lighting as it looks a little flat to me compared to the original. I have done my own mini remaster with an emulator (ok just messing with the settings but still) and although the models and textures are nowhere near as detailed as this remake the better lighting form the older one makes it look a bit more alive to me. i don't know it could be that the slight blurriness form the lower resolution models make it feel a bit more organic.

That being said i will still pick it up at some point i mean i am quite happy with the anniversary edition of FF7 that was put on steam recently ( yes i know it has been out for a while).

I hope it does well, i am looking forward to that more than i am the latest crap they are going to try to call a final fantasy game.

Let me guess? The laughing scene?

The voice acting was good. Melodramatic at times, but that's on the voice director. Like most Square games, the VAing was well above average.

But no, everyone sees the laughter scene, takes it well out of context, and claims the whole game sucks in English. *sigh*.

I actually thought Yuna looked better in SD.

NameIsRobertPaulson:

alj:

The voice acting was good. Melodramatic at times, but that's on the voice director. Like most Square games, the VAing was well above average.

But no, everyone sees the laughter scene, takes it well out of context, and claims the whole game sucks in English. *sigh*.

Set the laughing scene aside and there are still some rough moments. Basically whenever Tidus opens his mouth...

StewShearer:

NameIsRobertPaulson:

alj:

Set the laughing scene aside and there are still some rough moments. Basically whenever Tidus opens his mouth...

James Arnold Taylor is definitely not the strong point. When asked for distraught, he came up with whiny. But the rest of the cast does a good job, even if John DiMaggio needs to lay off the fake Hawaiian accent.

So im playing it atm on pcsx2 (i do own the disks and have my own rom exported from my ps2) - i have the game on x16 MSAA at the moment and honestly - im not seeing a difference in the video compared to what im playing atm.

why again should i buy this?

Gizmo1990:
Damn you SE. I said you would never agin get money out of me using Final Fantasy (due to me hating everything after X) but that looks so much better than when I use my ps2. You win. I will get it.

Edit: Or I would get it if it were available for preorder in uk. But it is not. So now I both love and hate you. Damned SE!

You can import it you know. PS3 games are not region locked, Persona 4 Golden was the only one to my knowledge, so you'd be able to get it still.

NameIsRobertPaulson:

James Arnold Taylor is definitely not the strong point. When asked for distraught, he came up with whiny. But the rest of the cast does a good job, even if John DiMaggio needs to lay off the fake Hawaiian accent.

I have to agree, although I'm still more used to Taylor playing Ratchet from Ratchet and Clank and would hear Ratchet's voice whenever Tidus would open his mouth. John DiMaggio I though did a pretty good job at portraying Wakka though.
My favorite though was probably Matt McKenzie, although I think that's bias on my part since I loved Auron as a character more than Tidus.

Ugh, just remake a good Final Fantasy game. They love to pole jock the developers responsible for this game (the same people who did FFXIII and it's sequels). Final Fantasy XII isn't getting any love, there was an international version that never came out in America, and I would pay full price for that game again. So much better than X in every way. More interesting combat, the License board is way better than the whole grid sphere thing they used in X and the story was far superior. Ok, now I'm pole jocking on FFXII, I'm sorry... I'll stop.

Neronium:

Gizmo1990:

You can import it you know. PS3 games are not region locked, Persona 4 Golden was the only one to my knowledge, so you'd be able to get it still.

NameIsRobertPaulson:

I have to agree, although I'm still more used to Taylor playing Ratchet from Ratchet and Clank and would hear Ratchet's voice whenever Tidus would open his mouth. John DiMaggio I though did a pretty good job at portraying Wakka though.
My favorite though was probably Matt McKenzie, although I think that's bias on my part since I loved Auron as a character more than Tidus.

I know I can import it but that will up the cost and I am not flushed with cash right now.

Baresark:
Ugh, just remake a good Final Fantasy game. They love to pole jock the developers responsible for this game (the same people who did FFXIII and it's sequels). Final Fantasy XII isn't getting any love, there was an international version that never came out in America, and I would pay full price for that game again. So much better than X in every way. More interesting combat, the License board is way better than the whole grid sphere thing they used in X and the story was far superior. Ok, now I'm pole jocking on FFXII, I'm sorry... I'll stop.

I am firmly in the 'if you like what I don't like then good for you' camp and I always try not to mock anyone who likes something I don't. That being said as someone who hated all of XII (with the exception of the graphics) I have to ask. Did you really enjoy the story? because I could not stop think about Return of the Jedi the entire time I was playing. Especially everytime not Han Solo (I think his name is Balthier) opened his mouth.

Gizmo1990:

I know I can import it but that will up the cost and I am not flushed with cash right now.

Baresark:

I am firmly in the 'if you like what I don't like then good for you' camp and I always try not to mock anyone who likes something I don't. That being said as someone who hated all of XII (with the exception of the graphics) I have to ask. Did you really enjoy the story? because I could not stop think about Return of the Jedi the entire time I was playing. Especially everytime not Han Solo (I think his name is Balthier) opened his mouth.

Some sites like Play Asia usually allow you to preorder them for cheap at times, but makes sense.
Also, little extra is that I loved 12 and this is from someone who has played every FF numbered game. Mainly though the International version fixed a lot of the problems the regular version of XII had and so I play that version now.

Gizmo1990:

Baresark:

I honestly loved everything about that game. I thought the story was much better to be honest, if for no other reason they didn't go out of their way to confuse the player. It was pretty strait forward political intrigue for most of the game. Though, to be honest, my favorite part of the game had to be the battle system. I was replaying FFIX recently, and I think I'm just about done with random battles, it's infuriating. Also, the voice work was very good, the scripting was excellent and I thought the characters were very interesting and varied. The world was a lot more varied as well, it was fun to explore, and explore you could, in spades. But, I also know that is my opinion and clearly different people are going to have different ideas. I am not hating, I may get this game. I sometimes come off as a bit dramatic or overly negative about this game, I just think this game was no extraordinary or different at all, but it's treated like the second coming of the JRPG.

Baresark:

Gizmo1990:

Baresark:

I honestly loved everything about that game. I thought the story was much better to be honest, if for no other reason they didn't go out of their way to confuse the player. It was pretty strait forward political intrigue for most of the game. Though, to be honest, my favorite part of the game had to be the battle system. I was replaying FFIX recently, and I think I'm just about done with random battles, it's infuriating. Also, the voice work was very good, the scripting was excellent and I thought the characters were very interesting and varied. The world was a lot more varied as well, it was fun to explore, and explore you could, in spades. But, I also know that is my opinion and clearly different people are going to have different ideas. I am not hating, I may get this game. I sometimes come off as a bit dramatic or overly negative about this game, I just think this game was no extraordinary or different at all, but it's treated like the second coming of the JRPG.

*SPOILER ALERT*
A friend let me borrow 12 a while ago and I like some of the characters and the License board is good too but it is meant to be a fantasy game and the story is based on politics. I guess if you like politics it's a game for you. I've had the game for about a year and have barely started on it. 10 was the first FF game I ever played so naturally it is my favorite and I agree that the random battles are irritating at times. Personally I like the battles from 13 but I'll never get over 10s turn based battles where it was more strategy rather than spamming X. I also thought the character development in 10 was incredible but I didn't play enough of 12 so I'm not sure about it. The only bit of 10 that confused me when I first got the game was Tidus. When they tried to explain that he would disappear I never understood why but I've played the game so many times now I understand but I thought that is just 'cause I got older. Sorry if I offended anyone but that's just what I think. ^.^"

misakilala:

Baresark:

Gizmo1990:

*SPOILER ALERT*
A friend let me borrow 12 a while ago and I like some of the characters and the License board is good too but it is meant to be a fantasy game and the story is based on politics. I guess if you like politics it's a game for you. I've had the game for about a year and have barely started on it. 10 was the first FF game I ever played so naturally it is my favorite and I agree that the random battles are irritating at times. Personally I like the battles from 13 but I'll never get over 10s turn based battles where it was more strategy rather than spamming X. I also thought the character development in 10 was incredible but I didn't play enough of 12 so I'm not sure about it. The only bit of 10 that confused me when I first got the game was Tidus. When they tried to explain that he would disappear I never understood why but I've played the game so many times now I understand but I thought that is just 'cause I got older. Sorry if I offended anyone but that's just what I think. ^.^"

Nah man, it's cool. The thing that really pushed me over the edge on 12 was when I played it on an emulator. They released an "International Zodiac System" version. This was a second release that was never released in America. It added a job systems. Basically, you would choose a job (class) for your main character, and it would overlay the license board with a blocks that would make you unable to choose abilities outside that job/class. Everyone had a distinct job/class and everyone developed differently. In the vanilla FFXII, your characters could end up really homogenized because everyone could get white magic and green magic and use the strongest weapons. If you get a chance to check it out, you should.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here