Tokyo Jungle Spin-Off Hits PlayStation Mobile

Tokyo Jungle Spin-Off Hits PlayStation Mobile

Tokyo Jungle Mobile screenshot

Quirky action survival title Tokyo Jungle expands to PlayStation Mobile with a game that seeks to mimic its PlayStation 3 predecessor only with more strategic elements.

Tokyo Jungle will go down in history as one of my favorite games released during this console generation. Sure, it's no big-budget, triple-A production, but the game is so weird and creative that I can't help but love it. Pomeranians fighting against velociraptors among the ruins of dystopian Tokyo? How can you not love that premise? It's just too bad that Tokyo Jungle is so quirky and out there that the odds of it ever receiving a proper sequel are slim to none.

Still, Sony realizes that the game has fans, and as a result the company has decided to throw us a bone. A bone shaped like Tokyo Jungle, but adapted for the PlayStation Mobile line of smaller, more experimental games. Thus, Tokyo Jungle Mobile is a very recognizable off-shoot of Tokyo Jungle, but as you can see from that screenshot at top-right, all combat and interaction in the game takes place on a grid, transforming the real-time survival aspects of the franchise into something not unlike a strategy game.

Interesting, no? With this jarring a gameplay shift, you can't really get a good feel for how Tokyo Jungle Mobile plays until you've seen it in action. Fortunately, Sony fan site PSNStores.com recently posted a gameplay video taken from the retail release of Tokyo Jungle Mobile that lays out the basics quite nicely. We urge you to watch the clip (or at least skip around until you find something there that looks intriguing).

How do you get your hands on Tokyo Jungle Mobile? That's pretty simple. Just take your PlayStation Mobile-certified device (most likely a PlayStation Vita handheld or approved Android gadget), visit the Sony Entertainment Network and download the game from the PlayStation Mobile section. It features a $3 price tag, so even if you hate the game, you won't be out much cash.

Source: PlayStation.blog

Bought and played this last night. Let me be the first to say that it's a very good compact version of Tokyo Jungle. It's smaller, the missions are faster, the controls are simpler, and you can unlock new animals after just meeting them rather than having to finish a mission.

The big differences are that there's no funny clothes to buy or wear and there's no story mode. Turn-based strategy is not what it is. It's real-time strategy... time is always ticking away and your hunger is always decreasing whether you're moving or not. You still upgrade the animals through mating, missions are random and revealed one at a time where you have 5 years to finish, and as far as I can tell there's no global ranking system... which is a shame.

It's worth $3, especially if you liked the original.

Quiotu:
Turn-based strategy is not what it is. It's real-time strategy... time is always ticking away and your hunger is always decreasing whether you're moving or not.

You're totally correct. I'm an idiot. Apologies. I'll change that in the article.

I'll be picking that up in the morning thanks.

I wish it was turn based strategy but it's real time.
While it still looks fun I think it would have been better if it were more roguelike, espesically with the grid and lack of animation.

Shinsei-J:
I'll be picking that up in the morning thanks.

I wish it was turn based strategy but it's real time.
While it still looks fun I think it would have been better if it were more roguelike, espesically with the grid and lack of animation.

Roguelike is exactly what it is though. Aside from the small amount of stats you can increase by changing generations, when you die everything goes back to zero other than the points you won. And those can only be used to unlock other animals you make contact with during your previous runs.

As for wishing it was turn based, I think that'd ruin it honestly. The original game was always about running against the clock, finishing challenges and increasing your status, bypassing all hazards and changing generations at the last moment. Being able to sit and think about things a while would lose the spontaneous, hurried nature of the original.

Quiotu:
Roguelike is exactly what it is though. Aside from the small amount of stats you can increase by changing generations, when you die everything goes back to zero other than the points you won. And those can only be used to unlock other animals you make contact with during your previous runs.

Just like the original but that's not all there is to a roguelike.
By roguelike I meant the "When you move everything else moves, when you stop everything else stops" turn based elements of it.

As for wishing it was turn based, I think that'd ruin it honestly. The original game was always about running against the clock, finishing challenges and increasing your status, bypassing all hazards and changing generations at the last moment. Being able to sit and think about things a while would lose the spontaneous, hurried nature of the original.

Huh, I actually believe it wouldn't change much because each step you take would bring you closer to death just like each wasted second would normally, the only difference would be that you don't pause with the pause button. You'd still get all the intense situations like normal whether it's racing the clock or any of the others. Another thing it would do is make the grid based play a lot friendlier, because grids are naturally clunky to play on and the last thing you want is clunky controls in a real time strategy game.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here