Vin Diesel Seemingly Reveals His Marvel Studios Role

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Vin Diesel Seemingly Reveals His Marvel Studios Role

Vin Diesel next to Giant Man poster

This morning Vin Diesel posted a new image to his Facebook account that appears to suggest who the actor might be portraying in future Marvel Studios films.

Vin Diesel, star of Pitch Black and the (increasingly awesome) Fast & Furious franchise, has long been rumored to be in talks with Marvel Studios for a role in one of the company's upcoming film adaptations of its many, many comic book properties. The key piece of info missing from all of these rumors has long been what character Diesel may play, but a new image recently released by the actor seems to offer a gigantic hint.

Pun fully intended.

That image you see embedded at top-right is the picture Diesel uploaded. In it we see three members of the classic Avengers line up: Iron Man, Thor and Giant Man (aka Ant Man, aka Hank Pym, aka The Superhero Who Beat Up His Wife That One Time). As Marvel Studios fans will know, Iron Man and Thor are roles already taken by Robert Downey Jr. and Chris Hemsworth respectively. Giant Man however, is a character that we know will play a part in future Marvel Studios films. It's been established that director Edgar Wright is working on an Ant Man film, and this image suggests that the star of that flick could very well be Vin Diesel.

Granted, this is largely speculation, but it would make a lot of sense. Diesel is a huge, muscular guy, who could very easily slip into the role of a superhero alongside Marvel's established acting troupe. Further, he's got a voice like a blackhole. If you've seen Diesel's heartwrenching turn in The Iron Giant you already know that his gravelly baritone perfectly suits a 50-foot-tall character, and while it's less of an asset for moments when Giant Man assumes his Ant Man persona, we still wouldn't be too upset to see Diesel in the role. Say what you will about the man as a classic action hero born two decades too late, but he's got a massive well of charisma (and if those stories he tells about his days as a Dungeons & Dragons nerd are any indication, Diesel should bring an appropriate level of geek excitement to the role).

We'll bring you more on this story just as soon as anything official emerges. Stay tuned.

Source: Facebook

Vin Diesel and Marvel? Yes, yes please. I'm so fucking ready.

Not that I have anything against Vin Diesel... aside from his super silly name... but he is one of the worst casting choices for Henry Pym... I mean seriously... Pym just never struck me as a "BIG BEEFY GUY!" but rather a scientist who stays in shape and just happens to be able to turn himself 50 feet tall.

For some visual references...

[spoilers]image[/spoilers]

and from a version where they finally managed to do Hank Pym some justice as a character...

[spoilers]image[/spoilers]

Seriously... that's just not a Vin Diesel character... he'd be much better as Vision or Ultron...

I have liked a good amount of movies starring Vin Diesel..... But that would be a stretch. Hank Pym/many hero alter egos, is a man of science. I think that would be a bit of stretch for him to play that roll, to be honest. We'll have to wait and see. I don't know if I would consider VD a great actor as much as a great presence in a film.

I'd rather see him as the Space Phantom.

Vin should play Luke Cage.

OR ARE YOU RACIST????

I can't help but like Vin Diesel. His geekiness, his starting up a game company to make actual good adaptations of the movies he was in, that actually made some critically acclaimed games for a while. Speaks volumes to me.

I like him. Would be happy to see him in a new Avengers or some such.

I'm going to have to agree with my peers above. I'd love to see Diesel play a Marvel hero/anti-hero. But Hank Pym? I just can't see it. Although, I did say the same thing about Chris Evans as Captain America.

When the rumor mill was first going around about The Avengers, Nathan Fillion was considered to be a good fit. Just sayin...

Vin Diesel could not play Pym. I'm sorry. No.

If they used a different character for Giant Man (several people have taken on the identity) then maybe. A lot of people are actually speculating he may play Vision. I'd personally love to see him play Absorbing Man or the Wrecker. Drax the Destroyer would work too, but I think he's already been cast.

The best part is that Vin Diesel is actually pretty darn small right?

I love the dude though and generally want to see him in more stuff, his voice rocks and he seems really sincere. It was cool considering his roles in films that he was okay with letting people find out about his nerdy side too

Given his performance in FF6 we shouldn't get our hopes up.

Maybe he's not Hank Pym. Maybe Vin's playing Scott Lang. And that's not just me talking:

http://www.superherohype.com/features/articles/91587-exclusive-edgar-wright-talks-ant-man

He'll more likely be Wonder Man,if they plan on having Vision

I heard Antman was supposed to be English... but I don't give a toss, IRON GIANT 4 LIFE MOFO'S!

PedroSteckecilo:

he'd be much better as Vision or Ultron...

I could definitely see him as Vision, especially his voice

Catface Meowmers:

OR ARE YOU RACIST????

...this was sarcasm, right? just checking. Poe's Law & all

Seriously though, I was actually just thinking that it is kind of nice that they're casting a black actor as a (yet unnamed) primary character in the upcoming Avengers movie

Obviously, he's going to be playing Wasp.

Catface Meowmers:

OR ARE YOU RACIST????

Sarcasm I bet but still no, The Rock should be Luke Cage.

My bet's on Cable, who else is betting on him being Cable?

I agree with so many others here. Diesel is so perfect for playing a comic book Super Hero... but not Hank Pym. It falls into that "Jessica Alba as Sue Storm kind of bad casting. Alba would have been fantastic as the Wasp or the Black Cat, but just didn't fit as the Invisible Girl. Diesel is the same way with Giant Man / Hank Pym. Although he might work well as Scott Lang. The ex con who steals Pym's Ant Man gear and ends up as a super hero. That would work.

faefrost:
Although he might work well as Scott Lang. The ex con who steals Pym's Ant Man gear and ends up as a super hero. That would work.

That's what I'm saying. The director talked in an old interview (link above) about doing an origin story where Hank Pym's time as Ant Man is in flashbacks, and the story revolves around Scott Lang in the present.

To be honest, considering how much of an obnoxious douche Hank Pym is in the comics I'm not really concerned about who actually plays him. I only put up with Pym because he's one of the super-scientists so you sort of have to deal with him at some point if you want to add Wasp to the Marvel Universe.

I could live with Vin Diesel playing Scott Lang. While I wouldn't rage at Vin getting cast as Hank Pym, I also think Vin would be getting the shorter end of the stick.

Not to offend any Ant-Man/Giant-Man fans, but I was kind of hoping that they'll leave him in the golden age, where he belongs.

Still, having Vin Diesel in a film is usually a plus, so maybe I'll like this new portrayal of the character.

Hey now the space phantoms up there why can't he be playing him!

OT: I like Diesel but I don't think he'd be right for any of the Antmen look wise. Of course he could be going back to being a robot and playing Ultron, that'd be cool. Also come on 616 Hank Pym "accidentally" hit his wife once and has been regretting it since. Instead lets remember him for creating a robot that has once or twice tried to kill everything and has almost succeeded.

Vin Diesel is going to play Spiderman in the upcoming reboot.

I've learned my lesson from the Dark Knight and Heath Ledger to not just say; 'no'. If an actor wants to do a role then I'd say it's better than an actor who's only in it for the pay. Aka: Hugo Weaving's Megatron, he's a lot better when you tell that he likes what he's doing.

Vin Diesel along side Chris Hemmosworth, Robert Downey Jr. Scarlet Johanson, and Chris Evans in Avengers 2?

A bisexual's mans dream! Holy fuck!

MY BODY IS READY!!! *faints*

Doom972:
Not to offend any Ant-Man/Giant-Man fans, but I was kind of hoping that they'll leave him in the golden age, where he belongs.

Still, having Vin Diesel in a film is usually a plus, so maybe I'll like this new portrayal of the character.

shush! He was Silver Age.

Actually, an Ant Man movie is one of those that has such a weird and wacky potential as an action adventure movie, that I suspect a movie would be 1000x better than the actual comic source material.

Infernai:
My bet's on Cable, who else is betting on him being Cable?

He can't be Cable, Cable is part of the X-Men pack that Fox has and Cable was never an Avenger so they can't pull the same thing they did with Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver.

PedroSteckecilo:
Not that I have anything against Vin Diesel... aside from his super silly name... but he is one of the worst casting choices for Henry Pym... I mean seriously... Pym just never struck me as a "BIG BEEFY GUY!" but rather a scientist who stays in shape and just happens to be able to turn himself 50 feet tall.

For some visual references...

and from a version where they finally managed to do Hank Pym some justice as a character...

Seriously... that's just not a Vin Diesel character... he'd be much better as Vision or Ultron...

Yeah, I gotta agree with you on that. Hank Pym is a science geek who thinks his way out of a situation rather than punch his way out (unless you exclude his mental turn as Yellowjacket). I could see him as either Ultron or Vision or perhaps Scott Lang (even that is iffy) or, hell, maybe he scored the role of Thanos but not Hank Pym.

Unless Whedon is planning to put the Space Phantom into Avengers 2... or have Vin Diesel play the Wasp. O_O

Fappy:
A lot of people are actually speculating he may play Vision.

Oh wow - I'd not heard that but yeah. Yeah, that would be pretty cool, actually.

Ant-Man is just as important to Henry Pym's character as Giant-Man. And Giant-Man isn't 50 feet tall. He's usually around 10. He can't really make it past 20,due to the physical exertion of lifting himself causing incredible exhaustion. I think Vin's a good actor, but I don't see him being a scientist who has to out think his enemies (ex: using ants to dig a tunnel under the Hulk, thus weakening the ground and causing Hulk to collapse inwards) rather than outfight them. I really hope Vin Diesel is cast as a villain or some other character. Vin as Hank Pym would be a terrible choice, especially because a running gag early in the Avengers was that the Wasp (Hank's wife) was attracted to Thor because of his muscular build, while Hank was more scrawny at human and ant size.

Zombie_Moogle:

Seriously though, I was actually just thinking that it is kind of nice that they're casting a black actor as a (yet unnamed) primary character in the upcoming Avengers movie

... wait, what? But Vin Diesel isn't black.

I still think Marvel should cast Vin Diesel as Iron Fist, Terry Crews as Luke Cage/Powerman and make the best buddy movie the world has ever seen.

Zombie_Moogle:

Do you mean the upcoming Shield tv series? Nothing about the next Avenger movie has come out yet.

Weighing Mr. Diesel's physical attributes and acting repertoire I think the most likely character he would play is...Riddick! Seriously though I think he would be a great Vision and not just because he has the monotone voice down to an art form.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here