League Of Legends Spawns Fan-Made Fighting Game

League Of Legends Spawns Fan-Made Fighting Game

Do you like League of Legends but wish it involved more uppercuts? League of Fighters might be the game for you.

League of Legends is a wildly-popular title that has grown to be one of the most notable games in the likewise wildly-popular multiplayer online battle arena (MOBA) genre. The best way to describe it to neophytes would be as a real-time strategy game in which you control small groups of powerful units instead of a large army of comparatively weak characters. What it isn't however, is a fighting game, which is where the aptly-titled League of Fighters comes in.

Created by dedicated fans, League of Fighters is pretty much exactly what you'd expect: A relatively traditional 2D fighting game starring characters made famous by League of Legends. Or, as the game's official site describes it:

League of Fighters is a League of Legends fan project using the FM2K engine to bring LoL characters into a 2D fighting game. The game's mechanics are very similar to the LoL which makes for a really interesting fighting game. Each special attack has its own cooldown just like in the game! You can choose your own summoner spell when you select a character (we only show 3 in the trailer but we're planning many more). We actually use [Super Smash Bros.] controls for the inputs for special attacks so it still feels good on anything from a keyboard to a stick.

As you can see from the trailer embedded at top-right, this isn't the most attractive fighter you've ever seen, but at the same time, it's definitely got fan service appeal for those who dig League of Legends. Given that game's popularity, the fighter should be able to pick up a solid fanbase purely via media osmosis. Will it be adopted by hardcore fighting game fans? We'd guess no, but basing League of Fighters' controls on those found in Nintendo's Smash Bros. series is certain to make the title more appealing to new players.

Unfortunately, League of Fighters currently lacks an official release date, or even a window when we can expect it to debut. Today's announcement was merely its public reveal, so expect more info to trickle out of this fan project for the foreseeable future.

Source: Instaburst

I'm not surprised but instead wondering why it hadn't been done before, not due to wanting it but the size of the fanbase.

I think we need a new rule of the internet too, that every fandom has a fighting game ether available, in development or the subject of a cease and desist.

Looks somewhat shit so far, but that's some pretty decent sprite work at least.

It... Yeah, it doesn't look great and Tibbers looked really goofy but that's still really awesome!
I might actually keep an eye on this. Maybe when more characters come out and the game develops some more, and if they can somehow stay completely under the radar of Riot's legal team, it might shape up to be pretty cool.

I like a lot of the champions in LoL, but just don't like the game itself. I have a soft spot for fighters. I hope this takes off.

Well it was an eventuality...

The black one dies first.
Some things never change.

Shinsei-J:
I'm not surprised but instead wondering why it hadn't been done before, not due to wanting it but the size of the fanbase.

I think we need a new rule of the internet too, that every fandom has a fighting game ether available, in development or the subject of a cease and desist.

Aye, you would at least expect something to pop up on MUGEN, considering just how many different characters have been shoved in there... Hmm...

*Doublechecks internet*

Yeah... expected a lot more than what I found...

OT: That super move seems like it could be a little more... super, doesn't it? I mean, at least have Tibbers come running in from one side of the screen flailing and whirling his arms all about! Though, I'd actually see the character maybe handling a bit more like Carl out of Blazblue...

Riot are kind of a shitty company with a bad recent track record (breaking their promises, bending over for the moronic community, destroying their own artistic integrity, raising their prices etc).

Not to mention the lack of creativity in the recent champion designs, seriously, look at Aatrox, he's something that I would have designed when I was 8 years old. "EVIL WINGS! DARK FACE! EVIL! ONE NAKED ARM AND ONE ARMOURED ARM BECAUSE THAT'S COOL! SPIKEY SWORD BECAUSE THAT'S COOLER! YEAAAAH!"

I predict that this will be a repeat of the my little pony fighting game, but if it isn't I hope that they stick with the older League champions (Pre Orianna-Leona)

cease and desist letter in 3 2...

Seriously don't all these fighting games end up getting lawyered into the ground?

Swiggity Swooty:
Riot are kind of a shitty company with a bad recent track record (breaking their promises, bending over for the moronic community, destroying their own artistic integrity, raising their prices etc).

Not to mention the lack of creativity in the recent champion designs, seriously, look at Aatrox, he's something that I would have designed when I was 8 years old. "EVIL WINGS! DARK FACE! EVIL! ONE NAKED ARM AND ONE ARMOURED ARM BECAUSE THAT'S COOL! SPIKEY SWORD BECAUSE THAT'S COOLER! YEAAAAH!"

I predict that this will be a repeat of the my little pony fighting game, but if it isn't I hope that they stick with the older League champions (Pre Orianna-Leona)

... No comment. Riot's champion design from the beginning of the game has been mostly a work of gushing and exaggerating existing tropes. Unless you're going to tell me Mundo and Gangplank are the pinnacles of creativity, I don't see how that has changed as of recent.

Also, you mad Aatrox has dose abs. Dose purple abs. Haterox.

OT:
Yay, it's those games I can't play. Well, I hope it doesn't get an army of lawyers chasing after it, but I kind of think it's going to.

The spritework looks fun, too, but I'm not someone who can really play fighter games well... But if it's free I may look into it. I mean, why not?

Two Annes? Oh god... my nightmares have come true.

Have you seen Tibbers?

Have you seen Tibbers?

Have you seen Tibbers?

I do wish they held off the announcement till they gotten at least two fighters in the game.

Well if history does repeat, I'm not looking forward to the announcement of the C&D sent to the team.

Ferisar:

... No comment. Riot's champion design from the beginning of the game has been mostly a work of gushing and exaggerating existing tropes. Unless you're going to tell me Mundo and Gangplank are the pinnacles of creativity, I don't see how that has changed as of recent.

Each one generally had a trope with a twist though, or they were at least tropey to the point that it was fun. of course they did have some poor champion designs, but after a certain point, they devolved into releasing NOTHING BUT unoriginal champions.

Just look at their earlier designs. Annie, Anivia, Orianna. Little girl with firebear, ice phoenix, clockwork ballerina. Now compare them to 3 of their newer champions, the most uninspiring I see being Diana, Syndra and Darius. I mean seriously, what the hell is that? Darius is literally just a freaking Noxus copy of Garen, he even has pretty much the same ultimate, HE EVEN SPINS! Diana and Syndra look largely the same.

I'm not even going to go into how mad I was about the lore changes for the freljord patch. They changed Trundle from a fucking nice and interesting leper troll into the overused 'ice troll'. Gragas' lore doesn't even explain how he came to the league of legends anymore. Now it's pretty much "he started a fight in freljord and that made everyone become friends", when it used to be "he brewed a lot of beer, but it was contaminated from the nearby nexus crystals, so after drinking a lot, he became how he is, and this is why he's in the league".

This just serves to remind me that, if it weren't for the C&D, Fighting is Magic would be on a sidestream at EVO in a couple of days. Or at least would have been done a couple months ago.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here