Mickey Mouse Does Tokyo, Homages Mario

Mickey Mouse Does Tokyo, Homages Mario

A new Disney animated short sees Mickey Mouse visiting the Land of the Rising Sun where he encounters punk culture, sumo wrestlers and a handy excuse to tear a page from the Mario Bros.' playbook.

Tokyo Go is a newly-released animated short from Disney, starring its most recognizable character Mickey Mouse. The vignette sees our hero on a visit to Tokyo where he boards a train, only to realize that Japan's public transportation system is a nightmare of claustrophobic close quarters, spiky youths and sumo wrestlers with little regard for proper dental hygiene. Then, at the 2:25 mark, he enters a tunnel and the entire clip turns into an adorable Super Mario Bros. reference complete with the sound effect that plays each time Mario or Luigi grabs a mushroom and grows to their full height.

Why are we showing you this? Simply because its cute. Sure, we love to report on hard news and bringing you all of the day's information on what's happening in the videogame industry is basically our mission statement, but there are times when we simply need to show you something cool. This is one of those times. It's impossible to dislike Mickey Mouse, and given our key demographic, that Mario homage should be right up your collective alleys. So take a break, kick back, forget all that work piling up on your desk, and smile at pure animated childhood whimsy. You've earned it.

Source: Disney

Way better then that Wolverine trailer :P

No offence, if you're going to post a site video can you please check if it's available for us outside of the US or are you going to post an alternative link when there is one available?

A series of shorts revolving around Japan that can't be viewed outside the US...

Maybe I'm just ignorant of how things work but I don't get all these different videos that can't be seen outside of America.

Scarim Coral:
No offence, if you're going to post a site video can you please check if it's available for us outside of the US or are you going to post an alternative link when there is one available?

This. We filthy unwashed outside of the US like to watch videos too. I guess Disney don't want our business.

Scarim Coral:

Or find a format that works on most devices? Even in the US, my mac can't play it. >_<

Here is Disney's youtube page for other of these Disney shorts sadly the tokyo one isn't one of them (at the time of writing): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCaxXQdkfPk&feature=c4-overview&list=UU5K8SEF_7GQBedXIjtXLCRg

Not G. Ivingname:

Scarim Coral:

Or find a format that works on most devices? Even in the US, my mac can't play it. >_<

Here is Disney's youtube page for other of these Disney shorts sadly the tokyo one isn't one of them (at the time of writing): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCaxXQdkfPk&feature=c4-overview&list=UU5K8SEF_7GQBedXIjtXLCRg

Again that link is not available for me in the UK (US only Youtube video?). Sure while I can search for these new Mickey Mouse shorts individually but this Tokyo Go intrigue me from reading the description.

Well that was pretty cute/cool. Who says that there aren't any good short cartoons anymore?

Seems like a pretty standard Manhattan Subway commute to me. Though the trains are faster.

Four commercials before I can even watch the thing, freaking really Disney, and people are saying I can't even watch it in the UK anyway!?

Scarim Coral:

Not G. Ivingname:

Scarim Coral:

Again that link is not available for me in the UK (US only Youtube video?). Sure while I can search for these new Mickey Mouse shorts individually but this Tokyo Go intrigue me from reading the description.

It isn't? O_o

That surprised me, considering one of the shorts take place in France, another takes place in Switzerland, and they use the respective languages.

On an unrelated note: CAN SOMEONE FIX THIS MILLER 64 AD? >_<

... Was it good? I'm in Canada so I can't view it...

Any youtube copy of it will probably come down as quickly as it goes up 'cause, you know, Disney.

No fair! Disney won't let me watch it!!

Luckily in the States, that said,it's rather nice to see an old school animated short that you would see as part of a longer show, like Loony Toons shorts as part of the episode, and a well done one at that.

OK, let's watch this! *click* "Sorry, this video cannot be watched here- watch it on Disney.com!" Eh, ok... *click* "Sorry, this video cannot be viewed outside the US"

I see more than one reference to the works of the fabulous Gendy Tartakovsky. Which is just fantastic.

This is just great.

Funny, how "I don't live in the US so I can't watch it"-comments are the most common ones so far.
And yes, I am one of those guys that can't watch it.

Hey, Disney - you're showing those clips for free on the internet, anyway. What's the point of blocking?

Bindal:
Funny, how "I don't live in the US so I can't watch it"-comments are the most common ones so far.
And yes, I am one of those guys that can't watch it.

Hey, Disney - you're showing those clips for free on the internet, anyway. What's the point of blocking?

Isn't it obvious? So they can sell them as a premium DVD/Blu-Ray pack to the rest of the world.

Also outside the US so I can't watch them.

idarkphoenixi:
A series of shorts revolving around Japan that can't be viewed outside the US...

Maybe I'm just ignorant of how things work but I don't get all these different videos that can't be seen outside of America.

Hell, I can't view it and I'm IN the US.

I assume this is the one that'll air Friday night? Gravity Falls is new too... for once. I may actually have a reason to watch The Disney Channel.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here