The Console Wars Go Musical in a West Side Story Send Up

The Console Wars Go Musical in a West Side Story Send Up

The group AVByte has produced a hilarious musical number where dueling gangs of gamers fight to prove which console is top dog.

When you get down to it, the console wars are a silly affair. It's a conflict of hype, where people rally behind corporate entities that only really care about getting consumers to buy their products. It's a battle that, at the end of the day, is as redundant as the Jets versus the Sharks in West Side Story. Perhaps seeing the parallel pointlessness, the folks over AVbyte have put together a short musical skit to help convey the silliness of it all.

Drawing directly on the visual and audio motifs of the Bernstein and Sondheim musical, "PS4 VS Xbox One- Console Wars the Musical" envisions two gangs of gamers duking it out a la song and dance. They go back and forth, singing about the various merits of the Xbox One and PS4 (while ignoring the poor Wii U entirely). Punctuating the musical duel are the clear Tony and Maria of the show, who lovingly sing about the merits of PC gaming. Hilariously, as the battle between the Xbox One and PS4 fanboys escalate, it's the gentle call to "Play on PC" that brings both sides together and eventually ends the conflict. After all, at the end of the day even console devotees have to admit that Steam sales are pretty fantastic. Overall, while the video is clearly played for laughs, it still a good job of highlighting the fact that we're all gamers and, instead of fighting, we'd probably be better off to just enjoying what we enjoy.

Source: YouTube

Sums up how I see the Console Wars perfectly. This should be posted whenever another console war appears on a forum.

Interesting idea, but execution has a bit to be desired.

I don't get the ending though - PC? I don't see how playing a machine with games that at least 50% of all gamers don't want to play is the answer people are looking for.

Terramax:
Interesting idea, but execution has a bit to be desired.

I don't get the ending though - PC? I don't see how playing a machine with games that at least 50% of all gamers don't want to play is the answer people are looking for.

Interesting numbers you have there, Where'd you get 'em?.

Methinks you missed the whole bit about how the wars are idiotic.

Chairman Miaow:

Didn't miss the point at all. Lots of people on these forums argue that PC is a more viable option than the consoles, but fail to acknowledge the elephant in the room that is the superior games for consoles.

As for the statistics - news has indicated that people buy more games consoles than gaming PCs (PC sales being in heavy decline over the last few years), there for, I'd say that makes my predictions accurate enough to make a point.

Terramax:

Chairman Miaow:

Didn't miss the point at all. Lots of people on these forums argue that PC is a more viable option than the consoles, but fail to acknowledge the elephant in the room that is the superior games for consoles.

As for the statistics - news has indicated that people buy more games consoles than gaming PCs (PC sales being in heavy decline over the last few years), there for, I'd say that makes my predictions accurate enough to make a point.

You mean those same statistics that don't include digital distribution?

All those sales from Steam, Origin, Uplay, GreenManGaming, GOG, Humble Bundle...

It's nice that this was approached without rage or Fanboyism.

Evil Smurf:
It's nice that this was approached without rage or Fanboyism.

And without mention of the Wii-U :P

Great musical except for the two PC people preaching the gospel and everyone in the end just saying PC as if everyone there magically conformed to the one platform.

PC's are good and all but not everyone wants to use one for gaming regardless of how many benefits it has and some just want to play some games on a console like I do and I have a gaming PC.

Terramax:

*Ahem*

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.337275-Steam-Sales-Double-Again-in-2011

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/7.403504-Valves-Business-Saw-a-50-Increase-In-2012

You may wanna check up on your numbers. ;)

Heh and I thought the Wii U would of apear at some point in the video.

Terramax:

Chairman Miaow:

In decline? Someone should probably tell Steam and GoG then. Considering they've been doing better and better with each passing year, I'll bet they'll be awfully embarrassed to learn that they should instead be declining.

I would've expected more of a Romeo and Juliet setting where Nintendo comes in as the prince, shames them for fighting with each other and the terror they've wrought...and then go all are punish-ed by showing both of them lists of people who have cancelled their XBOX One and PS4 preorders.

But that's just me...

CAPTCHA: slow down!

What? It's not like I'm saying something that hasn't been at least hinted at by other gamers, Captcha!

Terramax:

Chairman Miaow:

What superior games? The only games that consoles have that PC don't are exclusives almost all of which are generic AAA games. PC has a whole wealth of indie games consoles will never have.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here