Ratchet and Clank Are Off To The PS3 Nexus This Xmas

Ratchet and Clank Are Off To The PS3 Nexus This Xmas

The universe looks at you and sees a hero ... the universe needs glasses.

"It feels like the time is right to revisit Ratchet's personal story arc," says Sony, so off go our heroes to the wild black yonder in Ratchet and Clank: Into the Nexus. It's a PS3 exclusive title, and Sony's calling it "our biggest downloadable Ratchet and Clank game yet." Will our heroes survive their zero-gravity odyssey? Well, if the villains are as daft as wrong-button Bob there, maybe they will.

This is a single player title, a capstone to the Future Saga that started with Tools of Destruction. Last time around, in A Crack In Time, Ratchet was looking for his family; looks like he's had some luck, but maybe not the kind he was hoping for. Creative director Brian Allgeier, the same fella who worked on A Crack In Time and Tools of Destruction, is in the hot seat again. Gravity will be one of the themes of this one, so expect Escher-style hilarity as you platform your way to victory.

Ratchet and Clank: Into the Nexus will have a $29.99 MSRP when it launches on the PlayStation Network this holiday season.

Source: PlayStation

So no retail release?

After wtaching the trailer, can't say my mind is being blown and I fucking love R&C (first playstation game was R&C 2). I would've preferred this to have been worked on a little more and made a PS4 title, set some more time after the slog fest known as FUSE.

TL; DR: This feels a bit rushed, and I've quit buying games in Oz.

Sell it boxed or GTFO. Not even joking. I've bought every single R&C release so far, including the PSP titles and the HD remake for PS3. It must physically grace my shelf or I won't even bother checking out the trailer.

mechalynx:
Sell it boxed or GTFO. Not even joking. I've bought every single R&C release so far, including the PSP titles and the HD remake for PS3. It must physically grace my shelf or I won't even bother checking out the trailer.

That's a shame.....

Anyways, my first reaction was 'they're still making these games? They're still selling well?'. Not played an R&C since the demo of the first one, but I thought the interest in this series died a long time ago. Obviously not. Good for them.

Directly download is the way forward people. I just hope the price reflects that fact.

Honestly, I'd be more excited...

If the last R&C game wasn't such a boring, bland bust to me... It's nice to see that this isn't going to be painfully multiplayer focused, but after FUSE? I'm keeping my hopes down.

MrHide-Patten:
So no retail release?

After wtaching the trailer, can't say my mind is being blown and I fucking love R&C (first playstation game was R&C 2). I would've preferred this to have been worked on a little more and made a PS4 title, set some more time after the slog fest known as FUSE.

They will have a retail release.

Honestly, I am sorta excited for this game. It is cheap, seems like it would be the perfect length, and looks like a lot of fun. They also aren't trying to sell it for full price.

Terramax:

mechalynx:

That's a shame.....

Who am I kidding? I'll probably be all over it by the end of next year. But it's noth that much of a stretch, is it? They did release "Quest for Booty" expansion on disc.

I am however fully looking forward to the movie they seem to be making.

mechalynx:

Agreed. I even had to import Quest for Booty because it didn't have a retail release in North America. This is mixed news indeed.

I've only ever played the first three R&C games. I do kind of want to get back into this series.
Can someone tell me what games I should play and which ones can be happily skipped?

Eclipse Dragon:
I've only ever played the first three R&C games. I do kind of want to get back into this series.
Can someone tell me what games I should play and which ones can be happily skipped?

ON PS2: Deadlocked was maybe the least fun with the whole arena quests
ON PSP: Just skip them all or watch a LP. The controls work against you and they barely feel like R&C
ON PS3: Skip All4One [move required]and skip Full Frontal Assault [subpar multiplayer & tower defense focus, very short, and SPOILER QUARKFANBOYREVENGESCHEME]

I bought my PS3 to play Tools of Destruction. So yeah, big R&C fan. Though I can't say that this console cycle has been particularly kind to my favorite space faring duo. I played all of them, but have yet to have an experience as gob smacking fun as Up Your Arsenal or Going Commando from the PS2.

But who am I kidding. I'll still play it. I played Full Frontal Assault... uergh...

Eclipse Dragon:

Quest for Booty can definately be skipped.

Tools of Destruction has great blasting action, but incredibly weak characterisation. Except for the enemies, they're brimming with personality. A Crack in Time has a good bit of that spunk from the early days, but is just not fun to play. The weapons feel bland and so do the enemies.

OT: The worst mistake this series made was trying to establish somekind of serious lore, turning both Ratchet and Clank into Chosen Ones. I never knew where this "last of the lombaxes" nonsense came from either, seeing as R&C3 had two lombaxes besides Ratchet, one of whom was president of the freaking galaxy. And I don't know exactly what Angela from R&C2 was, but she was definately lombax-ish.

This series was at its best when it was just about a random goofy bad guy wanting to take over whatever galaxy, and Ratchet and Clank had to stop him. Now it's trying to be all epic. Ugh.

Eclipse Dragon:

The Future series which contains Future Tools of Destruction, Quest for Booty, and then A Crack in Time. But as Casual Shinji mentioned, Quest for Booty can be skipped because it sets up for A Crack in Time.
In the trailer you could see some things being mentioned about A Crack in Time.

OT: I'm hoping it'll be good and it looks promising so far. Weird that they aren't working on it more and making it a PS4 title, but I always find that the best games for a console come at the end of the generation (for example Shadow of the Colossus back on the PS2).
The fact that they aren't focusing on multiplayer seems like a good thing because to be quite honest I find that Insomniac works better when they focus only on single player games! For me I love the Ratchet and Clank series, and I will say that the last two disappointed me when coming from A Crack in Time. Let's hope they'll relight their flame and this game will be good.

Crazy weapons? Funny dialogue? Giant space reptiles with Russian accents? Costs $30? Yep sign me up for this. :D

MrHide-Patten:
So no retail release?

The article on Polygon reported that there will be a retail version released alongside the psn release.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/7/10/4512678/ratchet-and-clank-into-the-nexus-ps3-insomniac-games

Leonardo Huizar:

Eclipse Dragon:

ON PS2: Deadlocked was maybe the least fun with the whole arena quests
ON PSP: Just skip them all or watch a LP. The controls work against you and they barely feel like R&C
ON PS3: Skip All4One [move required]and skip Full Frontal Assault [subpar multiplayer & tower defense focus, very short, and SPOILER QUARKFANBOYREVENGESCHEME]

PS Move is not required for All 4 One. What are you talking about? I've played it with friends using the dual shock 3 controller multiple times. Move is optional, but not required. Deadlocked is also on the PS3 now so the only two Ratchet and Clank games not playable on the PS3 are Secret Agent Clank and Size Matters, although if you have a PS3 that can play PS2 games then you can play the ports.

Leonardo Huizar:
snip

Casual Shinji:
snip snip

Neronium:
snip snip snip

Thanks for the input everyone. So from what I gather...

Skip Deadlocked
Skip Size Matters and Secret Agent Clank

Play Future: Tools of Destruction
I'll probably play Quest for Booty anyway since it's cheap and short and since Future is meant to be a trilogy I don't really wanna cut out the middle part no matter how inconsequential.
Play Future: A Crack in Time

Skip everything after that. It seems like I don't actually have a lot of work ahead of me, talk about ups and downs.

Eclipse Dragon:

Leonardo Huizar:
snip

Casual Shinji:
snip snip

Neronium:
snip snip snip

Skip Deadlocked

I'll probably play Quest for Booty anyway since it's cheap and short and since Future is meant to be a trilogy I don't really wanna cut out the middle part no matter how inconsequential.

Skip everything after that. It seems like I don't actually have a lot of work ahead of me, talk about ups and downs.

Well I'd recommend Deadlocked actually because it's still a lot of fun to play. Different, yes but still fun and not really mediocre like how Full Frontal Assault was. Funny thing was that if you purchased Full Frontal Assault you actually got Deadlocked from the PSN for free when it came out. XD

Either boxed (preference) or digital I'm getting this, just as soon as my PS3 is fixed...

Also isn't that the voice of Pandora from Kid Icarus Uprising in the begining?

Eclipse Dragon:

Leonardo Huizar:
snip

Casual Shinji:
snip snip

Neronium:
snip snip snip

Skip Deadlocked

On the upside the Future series is FANTASTIC. Especially in the story department.

Crack in time, particularly, is my personal favorite of the franchise.

--------------------

At any rate, looking at the source link one of the developers (or producers, didn't really check) was responding directly to comments, and criticisms of the recent Ratchet spinoffs, which is quite commendable. I really like Insomniac's style, even if some of their recent titles weren't Stirling winners.

And yes, that Insomniac representative HAS confirmed a disk release. I guess Sony just wants to play up the "DOWNLOADABLE IS TEH FOOTURE!" angle, to save production costs.

The less-than-sixty price point is also commendable. Let's hope the length isn't TOO cut down as a result.

Azure Knight-Zeo:

Also isn't that the voice of Pandora from Kid Icarus Uprising in the begining?

Probably. I believe they've used that actress quite a bit before.

Neronium:

Well I'd recommend Deadlocked actually because it's still a lot of fun to play. Different, yes but still fun and not really mediocre like how Full Frontal Assault was. Funny thing was that if you purchased Full Frontal Assault you actually got Deadlocked from the PSN for free when it came out. XD

Yeah it's not my favorite, but I *greatly* enjoyed it. It also had a lot of really cool ideas that other Ratchet games lack. For instance, it's built-in co-op is a LOT more fun than all-4-one's was.

It's also quite a humorous game, chock full of jabs at the Fox network, so there's that.

Eclipse Dragon:

Skip Deadlocked

I'd play all the PS2 R&C games, even Deadlocked is pretty fun. It's just a big maligned by the fanbase since it tries to be "edgy", but it's still a fun blast 'em up. My personal favorite out of all the series is Up Your Arsenal.

Personally, I'm pretty interested in the new R&C game. For me, the series started to lose a bit of its magic between Tools and Crack in Time. They really needed to slow down the releases of the games in the main series, they were releasing the games once a year, sometimes less than that inbetween games. Now it's been I think about 3 years since the last main title, so it's been given time to simmer a bit and come back with fresh minds on the project.

Neronium:

Let me put it another way. When you play the R&C games, if you enjoyed the Arena challenges strewn throughout them, then pick up Deadlocked. It's basically one giant arena challenge after another.

I am so fucking happy right now.

I recently played through all 5 & 1/6th of the main games in a row, and it'll be nice to get a real R&C game again especially after those two spin-off games I don't care about.

The only game I've missed was All 4 One. I fully intend to buy this, as I enjoyed all of the Future series especially.

Casual Shinji:

OT: The worst mistake this series made was trying to establish somekind of serious lore, turning both Ratchet and Clank into Chosen Ones. I never knew where this "last of the lombaxes" nonsense came from either, seeing as R&C3 had two lombaxes besides Ratchet, one of whom was president of the freaking galaxy. And I don't know exactly what Angela from R&C2 was, but she was definately lombax-ish.

Sasha isn't a Lombax, she is a Cazar and Angela is the last known living female lombax.

OT: Excited, I love Ratchet and Clank games and I will be buying this one.

I'm excited but now that I know it's digital only (as far as we know) I'm less so. Digital only R&C suggests that it's short and there's no confidence in it. Like Insomniac are generate interest for the movie but don't really care for the game.

Oh, fucking finally. I've been hoping they'd return to the gameplay I know and love since the collective mess that was All 4 One and Full Frontal Assault.

ninjaRiv:
I'm excited but now that I know it's digital only (as far as we know) I'm less so. Digital only R&C suggests that it's short and there's no confidence in it. Like Insomniac are generate interest for the movie but don't really care for the game.

It's not digital only. The article here is wrong, but I've heard other sources say it's coming to both retail and digital. Mind you so was FFA and I doubt will be a full length release (I'm guesing 6 hours as opposed to the usual 10+). Then again, for a 4 hour adventure, I quite enjoyed Quest for Booty.

That bit in the article really should be changed.

Eclipse Dragon:

Skip Deadlocked

Deadlocked ain't bad. It's just...different. Neronium is right though in respect to the whole "if you liked the arena battles of the other games, it's more of that". It is darker, but at the same time it has it's funny moments (there are also a few references made to this game in future installments, but nothing that crucial). Personally I liked Deadlocked, even if it's one of the weaker ones (certainly above A4O and FFA). It has a lot of vehicles, a multiplayer and co-op mode (though unlike FFA and A4O, it's doesn't so much feel like it or force you to do it), sparse platforming, and a weaker weapon selection. If you do get around to playing it, I advise you to NOT play it on PS3. I got that version with my copy of FFA and the characters in the cutscenes jitter constantly (not to mention the framerate is terrible, and this is the kind of game where you routinely have a million baddies on the screen).

Regarding Quest for Booty, for sure it's the one that can be the most neglected, but if you're willing to play it then sure. Not a whole lot of story there, but for those 4 hours, there is a lot of quality there. It introduces the kinetic tether (one of Ratchet's new tools he uses in ACIT too), some decent platforming and puzzles, pretty environments, and a surprising amount of atmosphere. The game was meant to be a primer for ACIT and introduces the conflict of the game. And besides Rusty Pete is in it! :D

Innegativeion:

I really like Insomniac's style, even if some of their recent titles weren't Stirling winners.

Considering that at the time Jim gave Insomniac their lowest score in history with All 4 One, their titles weren't...
*dons sunglasses*
...Sterling winners either.

(wow, first time I did one of those)

Raggedstar:

ninjaRiv:

It's not digital only. The article here is wrong, but I've heard other sources say it's coming to both retail and digital. Mind you so was FFA and I doubt will be a full length release (I'm guesing 6 hours as opposed to the usual 10+). Then again, for a 4 hour adventure, I quite enjoyed Quest for Booty.

That bit in the article really should be changed.

That's a flipping relief! Not a huge relief as I know it'll be good, providing they stick to the format seen in the Future Trilogy. That's R&C at its best.

I saw an IGN video about it and the narrator said this was the first in a new trilogy so it could be a good length.

Quest for Booty was actually my introduction to the series.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here