Grand Theft Auto V "Upset" Hideo Kojima

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Grand Theft Auto V "Upset" Hideo Kojima

Grand Theft Auto V screen detail

Hideo Kojima worries that Metal Gear Solid V won't be as good as Grand Theft Auto V

Much ado has been made recently about Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain embracing and integrating open world mechanics into its story and gameplay. If all goes to plan, The Phantom Pain should give players an entirely new level of choice in how they sneak through enemy territory. Even with the new game already looking fairly impressive however, series creator Hideo Kojima can't help but feel a little bummed out on account of Grand Theft Auto V apparently looking better.

"I saw the new trailer for Grand Theft Auto V," said Kojima in a recent Twitter post. "It was amazing, so awesome. The degree of freedom-it's the future of games! It's on a different level than other games. But honestly, I'm upset. I can't see our 'V' gaining victory over their 'V.' But Rockstar's production team is the best. Make no mistake, they increase what's possible with games" We'll grant Kojima the fact that GTA V will probably outperform The Phantom Pain in terms of units sold. GTA IV, for instance, managed to sell six million copies in its first week while it would take several years for Metal Gear Solid IV to squeak past the five million mark.

That being the case, even with Metal Gear Solid V adopting a more open world style of gameplay, it might not be the fairest of comparisons. Grand Theft Auto and Metal Gear offer different experiences and GTA just happens to have a wider reach than Kojima's franchise. Now, it's obvious that Mr. Kojima's comments are meant more to praise Rockstar than to belittle his own studio's efforts. That said, the man would still do well not to sell his own game short.

Source: Gematsu

Perhaps he should have stuck with stealth then.

Oh that's fantastic, it made me laugh.

What a great guy. Can you imagine if the head of Bioware came out and said "jeez, Skyrim just makes our games look like used tissue", would never happen.

Gotta give they guy credit he is very humble I respect that.

> I'm upset. I can't see our 'V' gaining victory over their 'V.'

> our 'V' gaining victory over their 'V.'

> 'V' over their 'V.'

> their 'V'

This whole thing was an elaborate sex joke against GTA. Well played.

Evil Smurf:

The games are stealth? I don't get this statement.

You can't beat GTA at sandbox games. Of course it's not going to "do better".

Oh please...
If 4 was any indication, GTA 5 isn't going to be all that great unless Rockstar got their shit together. No game should ever feel the need to wear you down with incessant, clingy NPCs who take offense the second you don't want to hang out with them.

Their biggest worry should be Saints Row 4, but then again it isn't because it's not "Saints Row 5".

Honestly, I didn't see anything in the GTAV trailer that made me think it's going to be much better than IV. Bigger than IV maybe, and certainly prettier, but even the stuff that looked interesting could go either way.

Ironically, despite not being open world, I always found that Kojima's games are far, FAR more open in terms of gameplay mechanics and ways to just dick around. Honestly, more games should be learning from what he's doing, not what Rockstar are doing. And if he can translate that to a more open world MGS then we'll have one of the deepest open world games anyone's ever seen.

cursedseishi:
Oh please...
If 4 was any indication, GTA 5 isn't going to be all that great unless Rockstar got their shit together. No game should ever feel the need to wear you down with incessant, clingy NPCs who take offense the second you don't want to hang out with them.

Their biggest worry should be Saints Row 4, but then again it isn't because it's not "Saints Row 5".

Honestly, I am not really looking forward to their 3 protagonist scheme.

Also in GTA 4 I think you could turn the phone off to not be bothered by those NPCs

Desert Punk:

cursedseishi:
Oh please...

Honestly, I am not really looking forward to their 3 protagonist scheme.

Also in GTA 4 I think you could turn the phone off to not be bothered by those NPCs

True you could turn your phone off, but then you weren't able to progress through the story at all.

It was essentially "Lock yourself in place and drive around" or "Do the story, but deal with cousin/love interest/random dudebro every 5 seconds calling you".

I think that they're both going to pretty cool to play. MGS offers a fairly unique style of play, one that will hopefully make a very interesting transition to its new Open World. GTA V is GTA V: GTA is -always- going to be fine. It has a ridiculous amount of fans and is possibly one of -the- most famous franchises out there.
Either way, going to be good fun.

Maybe GTAV will be better at free sandbox, but Kojima will always be king at pseudo-post-modernist batshit insanity.

Capitano Segnaposto:

Evil Smurf:

I thought metal gear games where stealth :D

Hahaha, oh man. That made me smile (in a good way).

This is why I have a love-hate relationship with Kojima. This guy really knows how to be entertaining and at least upfront about issues that aren't serious.

Evil Smurf:

Capitano Segnaposto:

Evil Smurf:

With the exception of Revengeance, they've all been stealth. Pretty sure MGS5 will focus on stealth. Not sure what your original comment implies.

AzrealMaximillion:

Evil Smurf:

Capitano Segnaposto:

With the exception of Revengeance, they've all been stealth. Pretty sure MGS5 will focus on stealth. Not sure what your original comment implies.

Indeed. Especially considering the gameplay we saw highlighted loads of new stealth features and horses!.

It's nice to hear honest appreciation for others' work, especially considering how much shit-slinging happens in the gaming industry (although I wouldn't really expect that from Kojima).

AzrealMaximillion:

Evil Smurf:

Capitano Segnaposto:

it's sandbox therefore the stealth is lost
O.T. I dunno why he's so worried I mean it's like everyone has been saying they offer two different experiences

William Dickbringer:

AzrealMaximillion:

Evil Smurf:

O.T. I dunno why he's so worried I mean it's like everyone has been saying they offer two different experiences

The original was practically a "Sandbox" as well.

Nothing to worry about Kojima; they tried writing seriously with GTA IV and that sucked. There's no way on the planet that GTA V will outshine MGSV in terms of writing. There's nothing else the games can be compared on; two extremely different types of game.

The only things that impressed me about GTAV were the size and scope of the game, and the character switching. Beyond that, it looks like... well.. 'Another Grand Theft Auto game."

It's probably going to be well written, have a large cast of colorful characters, a well-presented story, pretty fun to play, lots of cars and weapons to use.

^Just like the 6 previous Grand Theft Auto games I played before it.

It'd be unfair to say that GTA never changed over the course of time. And it seems like they put more work into GTAV than they ever have into any previous product before. But that's not my point, my point is: I'm just... tired of GTA, and really don't want to play any more of it any time soon. It's why I'm apathetic towards this game and more interested in Watch Dogs.

Personally, I would've much rather Rockstar make a sequel to Red Dead Redemption. Now I'd be all over that in a heartbeat.

And between MGSV and GTAV - I was much more impressed with what MGSV had to show in it's trailer. But I am a fan of the MGS franchise so my excitement for V shouldn't surprise anyone. Even so - These series of games are VERY different, and even with the open-world nature of MGSV, I don't think it's fair to be comparing them.

Despite my apathy towards GTAV, it's still nice to see Kojima giving kudos to Rockstar for their work.

A Satanic Panda:
> I'm upset. I can't see our 'V' gaining victory over their 'V.'

> our 'V' gaining victory over their 'V.'

> 'V' over their 'V.'

> their 'V'

This whole thing was an elaborate sex joke against GTA. Well played.

And...oh my God. If you subtract II from V you get III...

Half-Life 3 confirmed, people!!!!!

But seriously, the amount of humility by Kojima is amazing. I can't imagine too many other devs saying the same things about their games.

Eh, sandbox games are overrated. And, besides graphics, they've hardly evolved since the PS2 era. Just added more fluff. Kojima has nothing to worry about.

Isn't this more of Japanese cultural thing then Kojima feeling honestly bummed out by his own creation? I'm pretty sure how they pay compliments is to say how whatever makes them ashamed about this or that and that inspires them to do better.

He should not worry. It's not the end of the world. And almost everybody is aware already that GTAV is going to be the game of this generation.

Apples and oranges. I have no doubt that I will play and greatly enjoy both.

While I appreciate that he is worried about his game not living up to his standards, I think he should worry about raising his own standards before competing with anyone else. The last Metal Gear game that was any good was Snake Eater. It's such a shame that he has to squander all of his creativity and talent on a series he clearly doesn't give a shit about anymore.

This of course coming from the mindless fanboy who will buy The Phantom Pain anyway. Never let it be said that I don't give things a chance to surprise me.

I really feel they're very different games. I respect his humble nature, but I imagine the team and money Rockstar threw at this was unimaginably massive. GTA 4 made headlines with how expensive it was at the time, and it turned out to be ... well just kind of boring, in my opinion.

At least MGS games are fun in the rare occasion it gives you control and lets you actually play it.

I don't understand this statement.

Metal Gear Solid has been as linear as linear can be for the entire series. Suddenly Kojima decides he's going to put open world elements into his game and then suddenly he's crying because it's not going to look/play as good as GTA V?

The GTA series has had somewhere in the region of 10 games worth of practice in this genre. Of course your first foray into open world isn't going to be up to their standard!

Besides, GTA and MGS are completely different games and people will play them for completely different reasons.

Only a mad genius like Kojima can sound both humble and arrogant in the same sentence. "I'm always the best, but now it looks like Rockstar is... Ah phooey."

I ahvent seen a gamemaker so humble in a long time...

Though one really has to point that that his I II III or IV wasnt the best in their genre either, and yet he still has a job.

William Dickbringer:

AzrealMaximillion:

Evil Smurf:

Even Far Cry 3 has stealth, didnt you saw the MGSV trailer, the fact that its sandbox is even better for a stealth game. Stealth missions in the Arma games are very cool because of that, they arent puzzles but situations where the player can try anything

I always liked Hideo Kojima. But I also believe he's comparing apples and oranges when it comes to Metal Gear and Grand Theft Auto.

Well considering GTAIV was multiplatform and MGSIV wasn't i think its safe to say that MGSIV out-performed GTAIV on PS3.

This is why I love Kojima. Batshit insane, but he loves what he does and is proud of it. You don't often see one developer praising another. Kudos.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here