Meet Atlas, The Pentagon's Agile New Robot

Pages PREV 1 2

Clive Howlitzer:

Johnson McGee:
At this rate we're going to have superbly stable robot humanoids... that are all tethered to a power source while we wait 30 years for battery technology to catch up.

Sad but true. One of the major things holding back a lot of technology is our ability to power it remotely.

Ultracapacitors are almost a thing. The Blu-Ray of batteries, if you will.

Johnson McGee:
At this rate we're going to have superbly stable robot humanoids... that are all tethered to a power source while we wait 30 years for battery technology to catch up.

make this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micro_nuclear_reactor smaller. problem solved.
in fact, extensive work is being done on putting a Thorium reactor in a car. a few miligrams of thorium fuel that does not self-react (unlike uranium) can fuel your car for a decade, essentialy being a electrocar with endless battery. problem currently is - the reactor is too strong, it bursts the valves since you need to make it thin enough to fit udner the hood.

uchytjes:

Johnson McGee:

This. Until we can actually advance batteries to a point where they are both light and powerful, we won't have robot soldiers.

OT: I want one that can be a butler-type robot. Also, the always important question: Can you fuck it?

Finally! Someone posing the important questions. I demand Cherry 2000!

Although 330 pounds? I'm on top baby!

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or