Update: Street Fighter IV DLC Adds Five New Characters

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Update: Street Fighter IV DLC Adds Five New Characters

The Street Fighter IV DLC includes Rolento, Elena, Hugo, Poison, and an unannounced original fifth character.

EVO is like Christmas for fighting game fans: the highest level players duking it out in their games of choice, peppered with panels from prominent developers in the fighting game scene such as Capcom. This year, at the Capcom panel, the developer announced a new update coming to its flagship Street Fighter IV, which includes five new characters.

The DLC adds fan favorites Rolento, Elena, Hugo, and Poison, as well as a fifth, as of yet unannounced character, who is completely new to the Street Fighter series. These five characters, as well as six new stages and a whole host of balance changes, will be heading to the PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, and PC versions of Street Fighter IV. If you own Super Street Fighter IV or the updated Arcade Edition, you can purchase the DLC for $15. Buying this DLC also nets you the previously released costume packs.

If you don't own Street Fighter IV, there will also be a new version of the game available for $40, which contains the base game, all of it's previously released updates, and this new update. It available both at retail and as a digital download.

In addition, you will receive special costumes designed by Udon for each new character if you preorder the game. The new update should also be released on the NESiCAxLive arcade network in Japan.

Capcom didn't offer an exact date, but said that the DLC should see release "in early 2014." The update's official name as well as an official release trailer should be released shortly.

Source: Shoryuken

Update: Check out the official announcement trailer, which reveals the DLC's official name: Ultra Street Fighter IV:

Ugh Hugo... does anyone remember when his name was Andore? Because he was a subtle rip-off of Andre the Giant.

Because Capcom doesn't have enough of our money.

Seriously though, this is the fourth console version in five years. How many times are they going to release the same game?

Poison, Elena and Hugo? Yaaaaay finally, what took them so long? Although $15 is a bit retarded.

RaNDM G:

Seriously though, this is the fourth console version in five years. How many times are they going to release the same game?

Hi there, please look up what Nintendo and Activison/Treyarch have been doing for the past DECADE.

Helen you're the fifth.

RaNDM G:

Until it's called Call of Street Modern Fighter.

That 4th guy really looks a lot like that serbian military accordion guy.

What's funny is that 4 of them are already in existence in SFxT so all they have to do is reuse their assets and tweak the mechanics to fit within the SF4 engine and alter the shadings a bit and they're done. They're DLC chars which are new to SF4 but they're not exactly "new chars".

I don't care so much about new characters. Instead they should focus on changing the gameplay to be halfway decent. Axe some of those invincibility frames and get rid of the retarded mechanic that is ultras. Bring back multiple bar supers. I guess I should just go play SF3: 3S.

RaNDM G:

Enough times to become fascinating. It's just amazing how many versions of a game they'll put out.

Some Street Fighter history:

Dreiko:
What's funny is that 4 of them are already in existence in SFxT so all they have to do is reuse their assets and tweak the mechanics to fit within the SF4 engine and alter the shadings a bit and they're done. They're DLC chars which are new to SF4 but they're not exactly "new chars".

Let's hope their word of "new animations, specials and ultras" is true.

I wonder who the fifth character is? Hope it's not Asura...

Mentioned multiple times already, but I'm assuming this is a lazy copy-paste of the SF vs Tekken renditions. The only saving grace is the free costumes, for those who hadn't already bought all of them.

If I could be guaranteed all the DLC, I might even invest in a Season Pass. As it stands, however...screw Capcom...I'm done wasting money on them...

Funny how it will cost me more to just upgrade my retail Super Street Fighter IV to include these dlcs on my x360. I will get the new game for my PS3 now.

Elena huh?

It seems my interest in the game has been piqued again, as Elena is one of my all time favorite fighting game characters.

Yuuki:
Hi there, please look up what Nintendo and Activison/Treyarch have been doing for the past DECADE.

Making hit after hit after hit of good games that not only improve over previous iterations but usually try and do something a little different each time?

The last time Nintendo dropped the ball with an actual first-party game was with Skyward Sword. And say what you will about Treyarch, at least World at War, Black Ops, and Black Ops II are visually and thematically different between each game.

This is literally the same exact game being released for the fourth time we're talking about.

Poison is a weapon fighter now? Final Fight veterans may find that odd.

At least they're offering the DLC option for those who don't want to buy the same game again.

Unlike for say, MvC3. (Will never let that go.)

Yesssssss ROLENTO

It's about to become MISSION COMPRETE, motherf***ers!

Also yes, I'm glad that the DLC option was offered this time as well. There's just something about it that I prefer.

I never really realized this until I saw the DLC art but the artist for Super Street Fighter 4 is really inferior to whoever did the art for the original release of Street Fighter 4. Their grasp of anatomy, even with artistic liberty, is bugging the heck out of me.

Anyway, I was sure they were done with DLC for this game since there was such a long gap since Yin and Yang were released, but I was wrong! With the announced "early 2014" release window, that's almost a two year gap without much in the way for new content for this game. I guess Capcom is lucky that the tourney fighter circuit is around to keep SSF4:AE on people's minds for the genre fans. My group of friends kind of dropped SSF4 in favour of Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 though.

RaNDM G:

It's Capcom. At a guess, 20-30 more times.

Hyperbole aside, though, I'm not sure why people are surprised by Capcom's release schedule at this point.

RaNDM G:

Making hit after hit after hit of good games that not only improve over previous iterations but usually try and do something a little different each time?

The last time Nintendo dropped the ball with an actual first-party game was with Skyward Sword. And say what you will about Treyarch, at least World at War, Black Ops, and Black Ops II are visually and thematically different between each game.

This is literally the same exact game being released for the fourth time we're talking about.

Stop trying to rationalise my blind hatred, dammit!

>.>

RaNDM G:

Yuuki:

How many hours have you spent playing any of the Street Fighter 4's? Because speaking as someone who plays it a lot, the changes are huge from release to release. A lot more than adding a new map or some new guns. Or in the case of Nintendo, remaking Windwaker with a new item or two.

"What the fuck is this? These pictures look like a fucking parody of videogame sexualization. The article completely ignores that girl's lit up upside-down asscheeks hanging out of her suit. I can't be alone in this. I wonder if anyone in the comments section is complaining about this disgustingly blatant fan-service."

"Nope. They all seem cool with it...I'm out."

Callate:
Poison is a weapon fighter now? Final Fight veterans may find that odd.

Funny thing is, there's a bit of precedence in them doing that. They gave Maki tonfa for Capcom vs. SNK 2, and Haggar can pull a lead pipe in MvC3.

QuiB25:
"What the fuck is this? These pictures look like a fucking parody of videogame sexualization. The article completely ignores that girl's lit up upside-down asscheeks hanging out of her suit. I can't be alone in this. I wonder if anyone in the comments section is complaining about this disgustingly blatant fan-service."

"Nope. They all seem cool with it...I'm out."

We've gotten used to her design over the last 17 years.

No R.Mika, no Karin. No need to break out the wallet then.

Guess I'll continue sticking to KoF XIII.

Maybe in a few more iterations, SFIV (it'll still be IV) will have drafted (or invented from scratch) one or two characters I actually find interesting.

QuiB25:
Snip

Nope, it all looks good to me. The wrong characters to pique my interests, but the designs and their presentations? I'm fine with them.

I do appreciate a bit of gratuitous backside with my.. news? vidyagames? breakfast? Actually, gratuitous backside goes with everything.

These are.. well, not surprising. Porting over characters from SFxT was the easiest way to get new characters in. I just don't think any of them are interesting at all, considering they could have taken someone like Karin, Oro, Alex or THA ONE AND ONLY Q instead.

Also, I honestly didn't want new characters from the update. All that means is that SF4 is going to need another balance patch down the line. As long as they fix the glitch that enables the "almost-unblockables" as I call them, slightly tone down characters like Cammy and Akuma and improve the tools of characters outside of the top 15, I would've been perfectly content.

They're adding Poison? Sweet. Now I can uninstall those 3 modded skins to make other characters look like Poison and switch my main. I may have a serious Poison obession. 15 Bucks seems a bit steep, though, so I'll wait for it to go on sale after a year or whenever.

We knew about this DLC since April. And we knew because Capcom has been taking community feedback from thier official sites on rebalancing the current SSF4:AE2012 cast.

Kheapathic:
Ugh Hugo... does anyone remember when his name was Andore? Because he was a subtle rip-off of Andre the Giant.

From...?

RaNDM G:

Spoken like someone who doesn't understand anything about fighting game balance. Which, granted, could be handled via patches these days, but why make people buy an outdated game and patch it and buy DLC as soon as they get in the door to remain current? Keeping the most updated version on shelves isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Poison

Oh sweet Jesus no, let him stay in the games he is already in. Or at least clarify whether Poison is he or a she.

sluggyfreelancer:

Dreiko:

Let's hope their word of "new animations, specials and ultras" is true.

I wonder who the fifth character is? Hope it's not Asura...

I'm betting on Asura . There WAS the fight against akuma ( or was it evil ryu ) in the Asura wrath DLC , that felt a lot like SF4 . Since Capcom seemed to have taken the lazy way with this ...

I am however very disapointed in not having R.Mika . Hell , i would have added juli and juni as one character , have them share a life bar and be able to instantly switch in and out . That would have been interesting and different.

Yuuki:
Poison, Elena and Hugo? Yaaaaay finally, what took them so long? Although $15 is a bit retarded.

RaNDM G:

The difference is, those games are technically different (even if they are virtually the same exact formula). With street fighter they are the exact same game with a few new characters and/or maybe levels. Note they all say street fighter 4. They release with in short time spans, and add minimal content (though you can always add the content to your already existing version of the game for 15-20 dollars.

OT: Not sure how I feel about this. I actually stopped buying capcom fighting games a while back because of the whole MvC3 debacle (where less than a year later they released the actual version of the game).

Yuuki:

RaNDM G:

Hate to break the circle-jerk but Nintendo are nowhere near as bad as Activision or Capcom. Capcom's 'thing' since the 90s has been to re-release a popular game with minor improvements as a full priced sequel. Activision likewise. Nintendo putting out a new iteration of a popular franchise isn't remotely similar, no matter how stale those franchises may/may not be getting.

The tweaks provided will probably be significant enough for long-time players to be happy with. Even if to outsiders it seems like the same game (and to be fair, a good bit of it will be), I'm pretty sure Capcom's going to shake it up again for the competitive scene.

But goddamn, their character choice is...ugh...wish they could have actually tried to make some original models. Alex or Urien or something, jeez.

I'd probably crap myself if they announce Street Fighter Alpha 4 for PS4 alas, this simply okay.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here