Assassin's Creed IV "More Immersive" on PS4

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Assassin's Creed IV "More Immersive" on PS4

Backspace Obsidian concept art

Assassin's Creed IV will have platform-specific physics to make sure you're getting all the realism your machine can handle.

Sailing the salty seas is an integral part of the pirate experience in Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, and Ubisoft knows it. To that end, the full power of the PS4 will be harnessed to maximize the immersive feel of sailing until you can practically smell the scurvy. When playing on Sony's next-gen console you'll be treated to the very best wave and wind simulations that Ubisoft can muster.

Ubisoft has mentioned that extra effort has gone into the PS4 version if Assassin's Creed IV, but has been light on specifics until now. "The PS4 version does not have any extra game content per se," explains creative director Jean Guesdon. "Graphics, obviously, will be improved to give you a more immersive feeling: leaves and plants move with the wind, waves feel even more lifelike, sails billow in the wind, etc. ... You will definitely feel the effects of our tropical storms."

It doesn't seem like a very noticeable change, but Ubisoft insists that it'll make the game that much more immersive. "Wind is such an important element in the pirate fantasy that we made sure a lot of thought was put behinds its representation in our game," Guesdon says.

I don't know about you, but when I'm locked in naval combat on the open seas, nothing ruins the moment like an unrealistic ripple in the waves. Black Flag sets sail on the PS3, Xbox 360, Wii U, and PC on October 29th, but wind enthusiasts will have to wait for the Q4 release of next-gen consoles.

Source: Gaming Bolt

Because we all know that proper wind simulation is the secret to immersion, and not good writing.

What. This is just kind of baffling.

Well that's no good. I better miss this game, I get sea sick and I don't want to be heaving up my lungs all over the front room. How do I explain that to the vicar during Sunday tea?

luvd1:
Well that's no good. I better miss this game, I get sea sick and I don't want to be heaving up my lungs all over the front room. How do I explain that to the vicar during Sunday tea?

"man, play this shit, yo. Shit be all immersive and shit."

And then insta-pop some sunglasses on, yell #YOLO, and run out the room.

at least, that's what I would do.

With anyone of importance at least.

And why won't it be included in the PC version?
Or will it be updated then?

Phrozenflame500:
Because we all know that proper wind simulation is the secret to immersion, and not good writing.

It's obviously not as important as writing, but it is something that can be done better on more powerful systems. I feel this is exactly how multiplatform games should be handled, playing to the strengths of each system where possible while keeping the core game the same between them.

P.S. Thanks

"Immersion" is probably the most abused word this generation, aside from "emotion". Last time i checked, high fidelty graphics didnīt create an immersive experience, engaging gameplay and effective audio/visual design adds a lot. Personally iīd say that all you need is good sound design and engaging gameplay.

Wind effects are good and all, but i donīt really believe that they are going to add that much, itīs just minor details.

Phrozenflame500:

Actually, both. Especially if its not JUST the wind, but weather effects as a whole.

They better make it about assassinations.
Probably the main reason why Assassins Creed is shit compared to Dishonored.

CAPTCHA: gone fishing
Better not...

But what about hair? Tomb Raider really raised the bar on what hair blowing about is like. If there is wind, there better be hats a-flyin' and hair a-wavin'!

cahtush:

PC version will probably have all the graphical goodies. Ubisoft just never bothers to talk about the PC version.

TheSniperFan:
They better make it about assassinations.
Probably the main reason why Assassins Creed is shit compared to Dishonored.

And climbing magnificent iconic buildings, don't forget that. Ubisoft has been ignoring the reasons people like the series more and more with each passing game.

This seems like a good thing for Assassins Creed, which is all about the spectacle. It's certainly not about assassinations or climbing or stealth any more.

This is getting really silly now, first Watchdogs say it'll be more 'immersive' on the Xbox One (admittedly because all the AI and physics is handled by the cloud which I guess means everything suddenly becomes a whole lot less immersive if you're getting lag or your connection drops?) and now we've got AC4 saying it'll be more 'immersive' on the PS4.

Look guys, the truth is there is probably going to be no real difference between the two consoles. This is not a bad thing and it does not mean the choice is difficult. It means the choice is easy because, whatever you choose you're going to get a kickass console that you'll be really satisfied with. Both PR departments need to find a better fight that splitting straws with superduper 0.1% more realistic straw-splitting physics on console Y

Adam Jensen:

cahtush:

PC version will probably have all the graphical goodies. Ubisoft just never bothers to talk about the PC version.

AC4 is a PS4 marketing title. Like how CoD is usually tied to the xbox. So they wont mention other platforms. However, both the xbone one* and PC will have all the pretties (in the case of the PC, it'll also run better ect. if you have a card above the HD7850 region, optimization never meant a fat lot on the current gen, never mind on the next gen when it's the same base architectures as current PC GPUs**)

*This isn't quite a certain, the xbone is rocking in at 66% the performance, so framerates or fidelity will take a hit.
**Not CPUs, but they are much closer thanks to x86. The CPUs in the xbone/PS4 are much smaller, weaker, low power cores than the bulldozer/haswell cores in desktops. They'll, of course, run perfectly well considering the 3-4x performance advantage.

Adam Jensen:

cahtush:

Because they pretty much Hate PC gamers, they've pretty much said as much in the past, though they later walked back their comments. I still don't buy their crap.

To be honest I don't care if it has or doesn't have all the pretty shiny things, just as long as the game works is good enough for me.

With that being said I can eventually see the PC brigade swarming in here shortly to reclaim their dominance with their one chosen platform.

Christ, give it up already game devs, graphics aren't all that important. Just design your game right, make sure everything works like it should and let us have at it.

So ps4 better than xb1? um this is just weird in genreal not sure what we've learnt here? I like badgers.

All i could see while reading this article was jims polygons parody vid running in my head. Anybody else feel the same?

I find myself immersed in iOS games and games that are decades old. What does this guy mean?

I really wish they'd decided to make this a new IP. As it is it's going to be hampered by the ridiculous story, framing device and combat of assassin's creed instead of making a game about pirates.

Y'know, the thing that breaks immersion for me is the bugs and when my character keeps running while stuck on a slightly elevated part of the map or treats it like the edge of a cliff. Oh, and getting rewards in the form of recipes for stuff I will never use, and will not even have the option of using until far into the game when the silly side missions for the residents are available.

Oh, then there is the part where Desmond and Yahtzee's long lost brother debate the American Revolution in Saturday morning cartoon terms. You'd figure with the much lauded multicultural team there would be more appreciation for nuance and not less, but then again with an annual update schedule subtlety tends to get thrown out the window.

Whoa, whoa, whoa...

Developers go to the effort to enhance the physics technology being presented, (at no extra cost to the consumer), to better utilise the strengths of the given platform.... and people are actually complaining here?

Seriously? >.>
I'm not even interested in these games, but come on. Where did they say 'it will have better physics, but unfortunately this means we had to make a trade off by having shitter writing'? Where's this gripe even coming from?

More importantly, (fellow) PC gamers are always complaining about how the PC versions are being held back by console limitations. So why is no one praising this move? ((it's a clear step away from 'one size fits all' to more platform specific design/advantages, even if it is still focused on a console)) I mean it's almost exactly what pc gamers have been asking for all along...

Some_weirdGuy:
Whoa, whoa, whoa...

Developers go to the effort to enhance the physics technology being presented, (at no extra cost to the consumer), to better utilise the strengths of the given platform.... and people are actually complaining here?

Seriously? >.>
I'm not even interested in these games, but come on. Where did they say 'it will have better physics, but unfortunately this means we had to make a trade off by having shitter writing'? Where's this gripe even coming from?

More importantly, (fellow) PC gamers are always complaining about how the PC versions are being held back by console limitations. So why is no one praising this move? ((it's a clear step away from 'one size fits all' to more platform specific design/advantages, even if it is still focused on a console)) I mean it's almost exactly what pc gamers have been asking for all along...

Because obviously, if you complain about good graphics then you're a true connoisseur of vidya gamz and are the hardest of hard core gamers. I think its a step in the right direction since its actually possible now. The ps3 was hard to develop for but they made great looking games for it like the Uncharted series, The Last of Us, and in my opinion Metal Gear Solid 4. All those titles looked better than what I could run on my halfway decent computer. Now porting and taking advantage of hardware should be much easier than before so we won't see developing for the lowest common denominator. I hope it'll be better for pc too because I don't ever plan on buying a desktop computer and it would be nice if I could game on a normal laptop

MrBaskerville:
"Immersion" is probably the most abused word this generation, aside from "emotion". Last time i checked, high fidelty graphics didnīt create an immersive experience, engaging gameplay and effective audio/visual design adds a lot. Personally iīd say that all you need is good sound design and engaging gameplay.

Wind effects are good and all, but i donīt really believe that they are going to add that much, itīs just minor details.

Exactly, I had no problem with immersion in pixel sprite games as long as they had coherent and interesting stories. Writing is what makes a game interesting or immersive, everything else is just window dressing.

Oh thank God. I was worried they were going to devote extra time to character and plot development.

Am I the only one here who thinks small touches like that can add to the immersion?

It'd good to know this will be done on the PS4, and hopefully it'll be done on the PC.

The complaining in this thread is borderline pathetic, come on.

Something to be taken from this statement is that it looks like the PS4's hardware advantage is being pushed already, this doesn't bode well for the Xbone.

ritchards:
But what about hair? Tomb Raider really raised the bar on what hair blowing about is like. If there is wind, there better be hats a-flyin' and hair a-wavin'!

TressFX in Tomb Raider was actually pretty unrealistic, imo. Pretty, but ponytails don't act like that.

This is not that bad an idea. All consoles use different hardware and it'd be better for them to be tweaked a bit for optimal performance rather than just put out something that will function on any of them, but not really use all the potential that is in the machine, with maybe a few subtle differences like better quality textures on the more powerful machine.

This is a step in the right direction because it actually requires more work to be done on the product. We get something that's been polished a bit more, some bugs found and ironed out, you know.

Covarr:

Phrozenflame500:

It's obviously not as important as writing, but it is something that can be done better on more powerful systems.

So it'll be best on my PC then? My PC's specs blow the PS4 out of the fucking water.

Cognimancer:

I don't know about you, but when I'm locked in naval combat on the open seas, nothing ruins the moment like an unrealistic ripple in the waves.

Oh you sly rascal you. I totally agree.

You know, the vibe I'm getting from the article is pretty much Ubisoft saying they're going to do a shitty PC port without actually saying they're going to do a shitty PC port.

Then when people complain about the PC port being shitty, they'll say "What, we told you it would be better on PS4."

I might just be a cynical asshole, but that's exactly the vibe I'm getting.

They really should have just made a spin off pirate game and not bothered having it be "assassins creed."

The game market needs more actual pirate games without having space aliens who impersonate roman gods, magical super artifacts from the bible, secret orders fighting each other because something something freedom, then there's some sort of apocalypse or something and Ubisoft didn't want to pay Kristen Bell so she dies randomly and wait people actually get paid to write this stuff?

What I'm saying is I really want CDPR to make a pirate game with a ship combat system like assassins creed 3. Because it would be great.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here