Pacific Rim Beaten by Adam Sandler at Box Office

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

who the hell watches Adam Sandler movies?

Pacific Rim is stupid movie. a good-stupid movie. it is worth watching.

Well in some ways I think it's down to taste just like how most (remember most does not mean all) women I know do not like watching action films as they're rather boring to them, while guys will make a sacred evening devoted to watching action films.

Though on the other hand Del Toro is a fantastic director and almost every film he's made to me has been great irrespective of genre which is why I will be seeing this.

Also I don't think you can judge a film by it's first week of showings, you should really wait till it has been out on DVD/blu-ray for a while before then. More so now that going to the cinema costs almost as much as buying it a few months later and the massive expansion of TV screens. I mean apart from sending a message that you want more of this type of film why would you want to go to a crowded theatre with mobiles ringing, people interrupting the movie and ewwww the floors sticky.

This makes me very sad...

Pacific Rim isn't for everyone, I get that, but it'll do fine

Why... oh, why... do people keep paying to see Adam Sandler be unfunny for two hours?

Man Grown Ups 2 is so bad.
*sees commercial again*
Sooo...sooo bad.

I mean Sandler's never been a revolutionary comic, but watching his Best Of SNL DVD last night reminded me of how funny he could be. Simple stupid (but still funny!) comedy was always his thing. At some point he just stopped trying at all it seems.

I suggest it to all my friends and work colleagues. "Just go see it. You'll have a blast and enjoy the action. No it's not a deep movie, but it's an entertaining movie."

I haven't seen either movie, but can we maybe, kinda, sorta stop pretending like Pacific Rim is this landmark in filmmaking? It's just a big monster movie... That's basically it from what I've seen and heard. We've had plenty of those.

The movie apparently is doing quite well even, yet still people are complaining that another more shallow movie is beating it at the box office. Talk about sour grapes.

I wonder what country will have a larger demographic to see robots and monsters fighting. Hmmmmmmm
It opens in Japan on the 9th of August
Then we can look at how much money it has made.

StewShearer:
Despicable Me 2 and Grown Ups 2

Grown ups 2? bare in mind I didn't like the first one, as did many people, I find it astonishing that people went back and saw the squeal. Despicable Me 2 I understand, its fun and although I wasn't a big fan of the first, I can see why people like it, but grown ups 2

Like Leemaster777 said

Leemaster777:

I understand why it isn't popular, it's because it doesn't show America saving the world. I didn't want to be they guy that said it, but there it is.

And now we are punished with Adam Sandler because of it.

Casual Shinji:
I haven't seen either movie, but can we maybe, kinda, sorta stop pretending like Pacific Rim is this landmark in filmmaking? It's just a big monster movie... That's basically it from what I've seen and heard. We've had plenty of those.

The movie apparently is doing quite well even, yet still people are complaining that another more shallow movie is beating it at the box office. Talk about sour grapes.

Then you really don't get the premise of either movie. Grown Ups 2 is the dumbest kind of comedy, going for the maximum size of demographic to go and see it. Pacific Rim is a dumb big monster movie because, well... EVERY big monster movie is dumb. GdT is simply paying homage to it in every way he can, and the movie is basically a love letter to Kaiju, giant robots, and all dumb media associated with it including anime. Every line Idris Elba says is a one-liner, every character is a TV trope, physics is pushed to the back seat because FUN is driving this movie.

The movie is Independence Day with an alien giant monster premise instead of an alien space invasion premise. They should be taken with about the same level of seriousness.

WELCOME TO EARF! *rawket paunch*

I didn't see the other two movies that beat out Pacific Rim, but I did see Pacific Rim. It was only all right. I enjoyed it, but it didn't deserve to be number 1. It was a solid B at best. Bonus points for being an original IP, but it wasn't that original of a movie.

Also, it's just a movie, people. A forgettable actioner with a neat premise that looked great. It was no The Matrix; it was no Star Wars. Move on.

--Morology!

I'll watch it when it shows over here.

Someone has probably already said it before, but I'll say it again. This is why we can't have nice things.

To anyone who went to see adam sandler movie in theaters in the last 10 years: you are bad and you shoudl feel bad. you are the reason morons get paid millions to be morons on the screen.

rhizhim:
yes, how dare they not like old made new giant robots vs monster b movie flicks and go for b movie quality social comedy flicks.

saying that GU2 is B movie would be like saying that the game you made in game maker is an AAA title.

Casual Shinji:

its a big budget monster movie that is original IP. we havent seen this in years.

I won't be able to contribute for a while, Pacific Rim ain't out until 8th of August here.

Strazdas:
To anyone who went to see adam sandler movie in theaters in the last 10 years: you are bad and you shoudl feel bad. you are the reason morons get paid millions to be morons on the screen.

rhizhim:
yes, how dare they not like old made new giant robots vs monster b movie flicks and go for b movie quality social comedy flicks.

saying that GU2 is B movie would be like saying that the game you made in game maker is an AAA title.

cause pacific rim is full of Shakespearean tragedy and clever wordplay.
without any kind of worn out clichees.

everyone in russia looks like zangief

its a big budget monster movie that is original IP. we havent seen this in years.

since genesis. Neon Genesis Evangelion that is.

pacific rim is not that great of a movie. so matter how many graphical rimjobs it throws at the audience.

and its as original as the russian jäger (why do they keep using german words?) dude pilots natural blond hair.

This is simple fact: "family" films outperform action movies. I blame children for this travesty.

Also, giant robots rocket-punching giant monsters predates the advent of the lightsaber by about 30 years.

rhizhim:

since genesis. evangelions genesis that is.

...which was 20 years ago.

Akichi Daikashima:

TOMORROW, WE ARE CANCELLING THE BOX-OFFICALYPSE!
/terrible, terrible joke

During that entire scene, I was waiting for the punchline.

I was disappointed when it never arrived...

I'll do my part to support this movie in a few days. I hate dealing with crowds on opening weekend so I rarely hit the theater then. I may just have to bring a flask full o tasty vodka with me.

Wow, what the hell are those people thinking... I could understand another movie, like despicable me 2 or something, but an Adam Sandler comedy? Comeone, have some self respect people. Well at least now i wont have any problems with my conscience after creating and unleashing those Kaiju on humanity.

RyQ_TMC:
Fun fact: Metacritic tells me Pacific Rim has a 65/100 average. Grown Ups 2 got 20/100.

This probably explains why Grown Ups 2 is more appealing to me. I'd rather see a shitty film than an average one. At least I can laugh at it if not with it, and I've seen a lot more average films than incredibly bad ones, so at least I'd learn something.

But what am I saying? I'll probably end up seeing neither.

There is something seriously wrong with this country!!! :P

It is the time of year where people are looking for movies to take their young kids to. Young adults without children tend to go to movies more in the winter when there is less to do. It is not that surprising that family movies, good or bad, beat what would have been a fairly niche title a decade ago. We should be impressed that nerd culture has come to the point in the last years that the level of success achieved by Pacific Rim is even possible.

I'm yet to see it, I have in some way contributed to this lack of success. I am ashamed.

008Zulu:
I understand why it isn't popular, it's because it doesn't show America saving the world. I didn't want to be they guy that said it, but there it is.

And now we are punished with Adam Sandler because of it.

America is not the cause of all the world's problems. Nice try though.

Anachronism:
WHAT.

This makes me sad. I won't deny that Pacific Rim had plenty of problems - overall I was a bit disappointed by it if I'm honest - but the Hong Kong battle alone is worth the price of admission. The only big summer blockbuster this year that's an original IP and it's beaten by goddamn Grown Ups 2?

If the sequel does happen, I think Gipsy Danger should casually step on Adam Sandler at some point.

Actually, if we were to get another Pacific Rim film, I would say a prequel would fit much better than a sequel.

Blood Brain Barrier:

RyQ_TMC:
Fun fact: Metacritic tells me Pacific Rim has a 65/100 average. Grown Ups 2 got 20/100.

This probably explains why Grown Ups 2 is more appealing to me. I'd rather see a shitty film than an average one. At least I can laugh at it if not with it, and I've seen a lot more average films than incredibly bad ones, so at least I'd learn something.

But what am I saying? I'll probably end up seeing neither.

I really wouldn't call it average, it's more a love it or hate it kind of movie. Anyways, that's the critics rating, audiences gave it a 7.5.

rhizhim:

Strazdas:

rhizhim:

cause pacific rim is full of Shakespearean tragedy and clever wordplay.
without any kind of worn out clichees.

Pacific Rim being beat by Grown Ups 2 proves that American deserves to be attacked by Kaiju. For me Pacific Rim is the movie I've wanted to see since I was 6 years old. I don't believe that a movie can be truly perfect but dammit Rim comes shockingly close. To have this masterpiece beaten out by yet another unoriginal, brain-dead Adam Sandler come kill 90 minuets (and presumably 10 points off your IQ) watching me play the same mentally subnormal man child I always play "comedy". Well that just makes me sad, not angry mind you. The five Fast and Furious sequels desensitized my ability to be angry at the average American movie goer, just sad. Sad that once again America has shown what it wants and what it wants is more processed cheese. Sad that this outcome will certainly effect next years semi reboot of Godzilla, and has probably pushed Del Toro's Mountains of Madness adaptation even further off, if not having been the final nail in it coffin.

LazyAza:
This is absolutely disgusting, everyone responsible for this happening makes me ashamed to be part of this species.

Leemaster777:
Grown Ups 2... beat Pacific Rim? Grown Ups 2 beat Pacific Rim?! That's it!

Teoes:
I can see the argument for it perhaps being considered quite niche and therefore not getting the broader attention, but I still find that a surprising notion given how utterly dominated the box office is these days by superheroes and other traditionally nerdy topics.

It's just in the US.
Outside of the US, Grown Ups 2 earned 1.7 million$, while Pacific Rim earned 53 million $... in 3 days!!! PR is doing fine, it will make a lot more than GU2 in the long run.
Movies can bomb in the US and still be worldwide hits. It's not the 80's anymore.

This has given me an overwhelming desire to see a movie where giant robots punch Adam Sandler in the face.

I still haven't seen it only because it starts so damn late, i don't want to pay for a taxi to get home after it ends, also not much time left for sleep.

As for the box office, it doesn't really surprise me, a lot of people grew up with Sandlers mediocre comedies, there was a time when i thought they were good and i guess a lot of people still think that way.

MinionJoe:

Akichi Daikashima:

TOMORROW, WE ARE CANCELLING THE BOX-OFFICALYPSE!
/terrible, terrible joke

During that entire scene, I was waiting for the punchline.

I was disappointed when it never arrived...

Dude...

Spoilurz...

I feel so dissapointed.

Sad but no surprise, i always had people laughing at the non jokes of the Trailer of Grown Ups 2.

Already p'ed off that when it starts this week in Germany, my preferred cinema won't show it as OV (original version, as in with the original english dub) in favor for...you guessed it, Grown Ups 2, because we germans cannot possibly enjoy the obnoxiousness of Adam Sandler without his awful voice (his German Dub post-waterboy is a lot more bearable than his own voice, although it hardly makes his movies better)

Gonna miss Ellen McLain : (

Maybe we're getting giant robot fatigued? How could the general public have known that it wouldn't be a transformers 3 which I considered to be a jumbled mess about a main character I don't like? You'd think movies about giant robots would involve more, you know, giant robots. Movies haven't been delivering so I can certain see the reason to shrugg off the trailers without doing more research.

What's amazing is that Grown Ups 2 got a 7% critic score but an astounding 90% audience score... wow... but I guess the kind of people familiar with Sandler's work who would actually pay money for his movies would score it highly. Then again, I haven't seen it. Maybe this is one of his rare gems that I'd actually like. Sometimes the critics are just wrong.

Casual Shinji:

Yeah, the reviews I've seen are pretty masturbatory. It isn't that good. The main characters' robot does almost all the fighting and it is utterly predictable. I think that it being full of cliches was intentional, but it means that you will never be surprised. It was entertaining, but it was not the second coming of Jesus.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here