Pacific Rim Beaten by Adam Sandler at Box Office

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

RedEyesBlackGamer:

Sonic Doctor:
snip

It was fun, but I don't see the gushing. Maybe it is because we finally have a benchmark for giant robot combat. Michael Bay could watch it and take notes. Combat has weight, feeling, spectacle, and you can actually tell what is going on.

I guess that is what I'm getting at. The reason people are going ape over it is because it shows that there is a spark in what looks like a dying industry.

Yeah it bases itself of several movie types, but it is new IP. This industry has devolved into a blob of remakes, "re-imaginings", trashy comedies, and sequels/prequels, with the rest of the movies while being some "new" things they tend to be artsy-fartsy "look at me Oscar people, please give me an award".

I remember when I use to go to the theater at least 8 times a year, but then it started becoming unappealing(and not because of the prices). Looking back, in the past 5 years, I may have seen ten movies. Last year I saw two movies, The Avengers, and The Hobbit.

This year, I've only seen Despicable Me 2 because my friends asked me if I wanted to go, and I had nothing better to do. Next week I will go see Pacific Rim. Then from what I know of that is coming down the film line, the next and last movie of the year I will see is the next Hobbit movie.

On a side note:
I think I know one reason I've become disinterested in movies in the past few years. When I saw DM2 yesterday, I sat through more than twenty minutes of movie trailers, so many that they've blurred together so I don't remember how many. I know at least four were cash grab kid flicks that are trying to grasp onto the gold of what came before, and one was the Ender's Game movie.

First off, that felt like there was a glut of movies coming out. I know I remember that when I was younger, I actually liked the movie previews and was excited to see what two or three movies they previewed. But now it's like they have to advertise almost the entire movie lineup for the next three months or so.

Secondly, I noticed that it really does seem like most of Hollywood doesn't know how to make movie trailers anymore. I think just about all the trailers I saw, I felt like they had already shown me every scene in the movie, at least every scene they thought was the best, which makes me not want to go see the movie even if I'm interested. At that point I'm like, well I've already seen the good parts on the big screen with the trailer, now I can wait to view it on Netflix or get the DVD.

Meh, Pacific Rim brought in $91 million worldwide. GU2 only managed to get $43 million worldwide. Pacific Rim hasn't even opened in China and Japan. So globally, PR will certainly crush GU2, but for a lot of folks, the US market seems to be only thing that matters.

... Look, I get that Pacific Rim isn't perfect and isn't the kind of movie that's going to appeal to everyone, but COME ON, how does it get beat by Adam Sandler?!

I'm just glad I was wrong the first time I read the article and thought it'd been beaten by Lone Ranger, too. At that point, I'm not sure what i'd have done ._.

Tien Shen:
Meh, Pacific Rim brought in $91 million worldwide. GU2 only managed to get $43 million worldwide. Pacific Rim hasn't even opened in China and Japan. So globally, PR will certainly crush GU2, but for a lot of folks, the US market seems to be only thing that matters.

Sadly, this is too true. Box office is all that matters to too many people... which is precisely why this worries me. Watch the Big Picture episode on the Mountains of Madness (the episode's name escapes me at the moment) sometime, you'll see why.

EDIT: Found it! The Numbers.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-big-picture/3281-The-Numbers

One could say that most of the sales for Grown Ups 2 was for child tickets, but any kid would rather see giant mechs beating up giant, alien monsters. ANYBODY, except maybe Jane Fonda, would go see mechs putting the smackdown on anything. Long live the awesome movie genre!

Tanis:
Adam Sandler hasn't been funny.

There, fixed.

Seriously, America, what the fuck is wrong with you?

DrOswald:
My problem is when you come in here and criticize us for liking what we liked. You call us out for letting a movie get away with being dumb and cliched when you have done exactly the same thing when it was the thing you liked. You let the Dark Knight and the Avengers get away with being dumb and cliched because you like those movies. And I agree with you. I like those movies a lot. Just don't criticize me for letting something I like get away with being dumb and cliched because you don't like it.

Well hold on a second. I didn't criticise you for liking the movie, I just criticised the movie, and then you asked me to back it up so I did. And I criticised MovieBob for allowing it to get away with a level of dumbness which he wouldn't have tolerated in other movies, because criticising movies is his job. And I expressed surprise about how passionate people are becoming about this movie when it just seemed pretty stupid to me.

That lightness of tone stuff is not true if you think about it. Dark Knight was as heavy a movie as you can get and you have specifically, in this thread, used it as a positive example against Pacific Rim. While Dark Knight has a good deal of humor none of it is lighthearted. Pacific Rim, on the other hand, never takes itself too seriously, breaking up even the most intense action scenes with lighthearted jokes. So that cannot be the reason you find the robot with the sword so much worse.

There's a difference between lightness of tone and lightheartedness, which I may not have made clear because I was focusing on Avengers rather than Dark Knight. Avengers is a much better example anyway because it's a much better candidate for dismissing as a big dumb movie than Dark Knight is. I don't think there's much of a comparison with Dark Knight because it goes entirely the other way - rather than embracing the silliness of its concept and going out bold and brash with it, it takes the silly concept and treats it mostly seriously (although it does have plenty of humour too). But again, Dark Knight is primarily a character movie, where the big set pieces are built around the interactions between the three main characters and the ambiguity of hero and villain.

You like the cliches and tropes in the Avengers more than the ones in Pacific Rim. You dislike event driven plots and you are more willing to put up with the dumbness of superhero movies than the dumbness of giant robot movies, all of which are completely valid positions. You like what you like. But we like what we like.

Sure, but then at the same time you can't turn round and be unhappy that the movie you like *despite all its acknowledged flaws* is not appreciated by other people, who prefer an Adam Sandler vehicle despite all *its* acknowledged flaws.

In any case, this isn't just about tropes and cliches. There's nothing wrong with taking a trope if you then do something new and original with it, and I just don't think there was a single new and original thing in PR, apart possibly from the neural interface thing. It was a grand homage (and a grand fromage) to the great monster movies, and while it did what it did very well, I don't think it brought anything new to the table, and it certainly did nothing to make me care one iota for the characters and their struggle.

Cecilo:

008Zulu:
I understand why it isn't popular, it's because it doesn't show America saving the world. I didn't want to be they guy that said it, but there it is.

And now we are punished with Adam Sandler because of it.

America is not the cause of all the world's problems. Nice try though.

Its not the cause of all the worlds problems. But its certainly the cause of quite a large number of them...lol

I'm actually sort of glad in a sick way this happened. Moviebob will have a stroke!

Flatfrog:

DrOswald:
My problem is when you come in here and criticize us for liking what we liked. You call us out for letting a movie get away with being dumb and cliched when you have done exactly the same thing when it was the thing you liked. You let the Dark Knight and the Avengers get away with being dumb and cliched because you like those movies. And I agree with you. I like those movies a lot. Just don't criticize me for letting something I like get away with being dumb and cliched because you don't like it.

Well hold on a second. I didn't criticise you for liking the movie, I just criticised the movie, and then you asked me to back it up so I did. And I criticised MovieBob for allowing it to get away with a level of dumbness which he wouldn't have tolerated in other movies, because criticising movies is his job. And I expressed surprise about how passionate people are becoming about this movie when it just seemed pretty stupid to me.

That lightness of tone stuff is not true if you think about it. Dark Knight was as heavy a movie as you can get and you have specifically, in this thread, used it as a positive example against Pacific Rim. While Dark Knight has a good deal of humor none of it is lighthearted. Pacific Rim, on the other hand, never takes itself too seriously, breaking up even the most intense action scenes with lighthearted jokes. So that cannot be the reason you find the robot with the sword so much worse.

There's a difference between lightness of tone and lightheartedness, which I may not have made clear because I was focusing on Avengers rather than Dark Knight. Avengers is a much better example anyway because it's a much better candidate for dismissing as a big dumb movie than Dark Knight is. I don't think there's much of a comparison with Dark Knight because it goes entirely the other way - rather than embracing the silliness of its concept and going out bold and brash with it, it takes the silly concept and treats it mostly seriously (although it does have plenty of humour too). But again, Dark Knight is primarily a character movie, where the big set pieces are built around the interactions between the three main characters and the ambiguity of hero and villain.

You like the cliches and tropes in the Avengers more than the ones in Pacific Rim. You dislike event driven plots and you are more willing to put up with the dumbness of superhero movies than the dumbness of giant robot movies, all of which are completely valid positions. You like what you like. But we like what we like.

Sure, but then at the same time you can't turn round and be unhappy that the movie you like *despite all its acknowledged flaws* is not appreciated by other people, who prefer an Adam Sandler vehicle despite all *its* acknowledged flaws.

In any case, this isn't just about tropes and cliches. There's nothing wrong with taking a trope if you then do something new and original with it, and I just don't think there was a single new and original thing in PR, apart possibly from the neural interface thing. It was a grand homage (and a grand fromage) to the great monster movies, and while it did what it did very well, I don't think it brought anything new to the table, and it certainly did nothing to make me care one iota for the characters and their struggle.

"But Jesus, you should not have let this movie get away with being as dumb and cliched as it was."

That is not a criticism of the movie, that is a criticism of the people who thought the movie was good. You may not have meant to say that but you did.

For a basic and stupid analogy, if you walk into a room with a thousand people all wearing green shirts and then say "Jesus Jim, why did you were a green shirt? They are so fucking dumb!" That is a criticism of everyone who wore a green shirt. Especially when you say it to the room at large with very little possibility that the person you are directing it to will even hear it.

As far as the tropes and cliches go, how exactly did The Avengers do anything new with their tropes? What was this original mix that they managed to put in there that justifies the use of all these old ideas? Because I really don't see it and I have watched The Avengers probably a dozen times. They don't do anything new or original in that movie. What they do is execute each and every cliche they use at an excellent level. They did a very good job of reusing old ideas. The Avengers was a movie about old characters in a familiar situation in an over saturated genre executed with a high level of excellence. It felt fresh to you because it was enjoyable.

Pacific Rim, on the other hand, is a new movie about new characters who we have never seen before. They came up with all new monster concepts and robot designs from scratch. They used the idea of mental linking to the robot in a new and interesting way. They attempted to make the giant robot and giant monster genres something more than a joke in mainstream movies. The robots had unusual, original, and competently made designs. But I will give you that the movie was rough. The acting was not as good as it could have been. The characters were a bit shallow. The plot had holes. It was no where near as polished as The Avengers. But don't tell me that The Avengers is better because it is more original.

On tone and silly genre conventions: So dumb things in movies only works when the movie has a light tone or is very serious? OK.

Considering it's still summer, I'm not too surprised. Kids are still enjoying their summer vacation. They were probably filling the box office. When I was a little kid, I enjoyed movies like Mr. Nanny and Power Rangers the Movie. Knowing the theaters were filled with people sporting the same mindset, it seems inevitable that a Pixar film and and Adam Sandler movie came out on top.

rhizhim:
yes, how dare they not like old made new giant robots vs monster b movie flicks and go for b movie quality social comedy flicks.

Pacific Rim has more comedy in it than Grown Ups did, and from what I've heard Grownups 2 is even worse.

Teoes:
That makes very, very sad. You there! It's your fault! Go see Pacific Rim to try and rectify the issue. It's fun.

Alternatively, anyone else think we should send a Jaeger after Adam Sandler and see who's laughing then?

Not mine. I have already seen it twice, thinking about a third time! Maybe even do what one buddy did with Spider-Man 2. Went to the first showing of the day, as soon as it was over, went into the lobby, got another ticket, and basically watched it the whole day.

Akichi Daikashima:
Well shit.

But did anyone honestly not see this coming?
/cynicism

Oh well, I'll try to remedy this issue by dragging as many people I know as possible to go see it tomorrow.

TOMORROW, WE ARE CANCELLING THE BOX-OFFICALYPSE!
/terrible, terrible joke

I got a great laugh out of that! so, good job!

008Zulu:
I understand why it isn't popular, it's because it doesn't show America saving the world. I didn't want to be they guy that said it, but there it is.

And now we are punished with Adam Sandler because of it.

You need America saving the day to have a popular movie in America? Bloody hell, the Yanks must have really fragile egos...

Pacific Rim Beat(s)en by Adam Sandler at Box Office

There, I fixed the title for you.

I had no problem with Pacific Rim getting beat by Despicable Me 2. The first was good and while I haven't seen the second one yet I can't say I was mad that it got a second movie. Heck I forgot Pacific Rim opened against that one as well. My biggest complaint is that to me Grown Ups 2 is a sequel that did not deserve to see the light of day. In two genres that don't really demand sequels all the time i. e. horror and comedy studios decide that it is a splendid idea to run them into the ground. For instance Hangover should've just been a comedy classic and stand alone movie. Not a deteriorating trilogy. Hopefully Pacific Rim picks up and makes the money it deserves because if that happens that live action Evangelion movie they've been trying to make for like the last 5 years or so will finally get green lit.

Pacific Rim loses to Despicable Me 2.
Okay, fine. That's kind of expected in hindsight.
Pacific Rim losing to Grown Ups 2.
Personally, I think the "I don't want to live on this planet anymore" joke is a bit overdone, but I legitimately do not want to live on a planet where Grown Ups 2 is doing better than Pacific Rim.

GU2 just sells on celebrity names. So I'm not surprised.

Pacific Rim sells on its plot and Guillermo del Toro's directing it. For it to make 3rd place, I'm happy enough.

Okay, this shouldn't be a 'geek only thing'. The average human should have a greater desire to see giant robots fighting giant monsters than seeing Adam Sandler doing the same thing he has done in every other film he has ever been in.

With the hype that Pacific rim has got, if I see it, I expect it to be no worse than Gladiator, The Dark Knight and Fight Club combined.

OlasDAlmighty:
Pacific Rim has more comedy in it than Grown Ups did, and from what I've heard Grownups 2 is even worse.

...Pacific Rim had comedy? I'm not trolling you here, I just genuinely don't remember any.

Lovely Mixture:
Pacific Rim sells on its plot and Guillermo del Toro's directing it. For it to make 3rd place, I'm happy enough.

Pacific Rim sells on the fact it has big robots and monsters. Turns out that isn't as big a draw as we all thought. As far as plot goes, all the bits which weren't robots punching monsters (and as the film wore on, even some of the bits that were about giant battles) were really dull and cheesier than an unwashed penis. I say this as someone who saw it the day after release and really wanted to love it, but the movie was pretty bad outside of the (admittedly epic) fight scenes.

3rd place is pretty good for a movie wwhose only selling point is impressive spectacle.

SonicWaffle:

Pacific Rim sells on the fact it has big robots and monsters.

Well yeah, that is its plot. We seem to be on the same page.

SonicWaffle:

3rd place is pretty good for a movie wwhose only selling point is impressive spectacle.

It's what Guillermo does best, love or hate the man. His spectacles are nice to look at.

Lovely Mixture:

SonicWaffle:

Pacific Rim sells on the fact it has big robots and monsters.

Well yeah, that is its plot. We seem to be on the same page.

I'd call that a concept rather than a plot. If the entire plot were just "robots and monsters fighting" nothing would ever be explained, it'd just be a constant fight scene. The plot itself, near as I can recall, was about emotionally damaged people overcoming their problems to kick some ass, and I just didn't connect with it. It felt very much like what it was; an excuse for the fight scenes. I don't have a problem with that per se, but when the excuse plot takes up way more time than the reason I came to see the movie, I find myself getting pretty darn bored.

Lovely Mixture:

SonicWaffle:

It's what Guillermo does best, love or hate the man. His spectacles are nice to look at.

Certainly, I'm not disagreeing there. As I said, though, it's the balance issue. Spectacle was the selling point, and as such it should have been the driving force, not an occasional aside so the movie could focus more on the comparatively weak human drama element.

SonicWaffle:

I'd call that a concept rather than a plot. If the entire plot were just "robots and monsters fighting" nothing would ever be explained, it'd just be a constant fight scene. The plot itself, near as I can recall, was about emotionally damaged people overcoming their problems to kick some ass, and I just didn't connect with it.

True, you could argue that. I mean, the concept has been used so much that it's hard to call it a standard plot instead of a gimmick.
Obviously the film is using that as it's selling point and using additional factors to try and make it more entertaining.

SonicWaffle:

It felt very much like what it was; an excuse for the fight scenes. I don't have a problem with that per se, but when the excuse plot takes up way more time than the reason I came to see the movie, I find myself getting pretty darn bored.

That can be a problem. I haven't seen the film yet, but this gives me a good idea about what to be cautious for.

SonicWaffle:

Certainly, I'm not disagreeing there. As I said, though, it's the balance issue. Spectacle was the selling point, and as such it should have been the driving force, not an occasional aside so the movie could focus more on the comparatively weak human drama element.

My bad, I didn't mean to sound argumentative when I said that.

Your lens of the film seems accurate, because what you're saying reflects my biggest issue with Guillermo. He has trouble balancing the entertainment factors of his movies.

Pacific Rim is just a stupid and retarded as Grown Ups 2.
Hell, Pacific Rim has all the complexity and intrigue as a fucking Michael Bay film.

SonicWaffle:

OlasDAlmighty:

...Pacific Rim had comedy? I'm not trolling you here, I just genuinely don't remember any.

Barely. The part where the scientists awkwardly try to shake hands made me chuckle a little bit, as did several scenes with Ron Pearlman which I don't want to spoil. I don't think I laughed once during Grownups, though I did dose off for about 15 minutes, so maybe that 15 minutes was where all the comedy was.

Who are these idiots who go to Adam Sandler movies (now that we have confirmed that he hasn't made one that was above "entertaining" since Happy Gilmore)? Because we need to remove them from the gene pool ASAP.

The movie still did well, people. Calm the fuck down.

SonicWaffle:

OlasDAlmighty:

I wouldn't necessarily call it "comedy" but there was some humor in the movie, namely in the interactions between the "mad scientist" characters of Charlie Day and Burn Gorman. Also some bits with Ron Perlman that I won't spoil either.

Ok people. calm the hell down please. First, let me start off with I absolutely loved it. I am right there with Moviebob and the other gushers. I have already seen it twice. might see it a third, fourth or even fifth, and I WOULD REGRET NOTHING!

That said, THE WORLD IS NOT GOING TO END JUST BECAUSE OF WHAT MOVIE SOME PEOPLE SAW! While I found the farnsworth "I don't want to live on this planet anymore" bit funny, people are going apeshit over nothing!
I actually enjoyed Adam Sandler in Hotel Transylvania quite thoroughly.
People have different tastes. As for those who didn't like it, you know what? to each their own. Not going to affect my enjoyment of it one bit.

As for those talking of creating/unleashing Kaiju, let me build my mech first!

It's shit like this that drives me away from cinema.

I try not to be a snob, and I strain to not look down on people who like Adam Sandler's films (well his recent films)...but holy shit does that man make it hard to remain impartial.

I am not mainstream America.

Sometimes, I'm very, very glad of this.

It's hard to resist the urge to rage. It's so tempting to scream at the 33% of high school graduates who never read another book after graduation and the 43% of college graduates who do the same. The people who make "Honey Boo Boo" and "Jersey Shore" into major success stories.

To snarl the ever-popular, "This is why we can't have nice things!!"

But what will change from my snarling and sneering? I mean, if giant robots fighting sea monsters is just a little too high-brow fer yeh, how am I ever going to change your mind by moving my face-parts? (And I'm perfectly aware that posting this on The Escapist is largely preaching to the choir.)

*sigh*

Callate:
I am not mainstream America.

Sometimes, I'm very, very glad of this.

It's hard to resist the urge to rage. It's so tempting to scream at the 33% of high school graduates who never read another book after graduation and the 43% of college graduates who do the same. The people who make "Honey Boo Boo" and "Jersey Shore" into major success stories.

To snarl the ever-popular, "This is why we can't have nice things!!"

But what will change from my snarling and sneering? I mean, if giant robots fighting sea monsters is just a little too high-brow fer yeh, how am I ever going to change your mind by moving my face-parts? (And I'm perfectly aware that posting this on The Escapist is largely preaching to the choir.)

*sigh*

Why would you read a book? We have the internet, we have video games, we have movies, we have much much more effective ways of conveying an idea and emotion. The smugness and sense of superiority over 'the mainstream' is palpable.

Maybe people went to see that shit movie without knowing it would be shit. And then no one gave them the money back. They should have listened to the warnings though. Oh well....maybe when Sandler gets back on screen some day no one will fall into the trap...

I want to go out now and stab Grown Up 2 Fans
I mean promote Pacific Rim.

Seriously? the Shit movie out makes the most original and creative idea movies had in a decade?
When the last time we had a good movie that was not a remake, based off a book, TV Show, Comic book or what have you or a sequel?

Pacific Rim isn't based on an existing IP, and it isn't a Remake. Yeah you can make comparisons to other Kaiju/Giant Robot IPs you see similarities.

Versus a freaking sequel to a Adam Sandler Movie? And a bad one on top of that.

darksakul:
[s]most original and creative idea movies had in a decade

AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA-Oh wait you're serious....
Most creative and original? 'Not being a remake' does not mean original, Pacific Rim is the most cliche, simple, unoriginal film that i have ever seen, not saying it's *Bad* but how is this original?

Red Letter Media summed this up pretty well

Fork in the brain, Fork in the brain, Chauklet Wasted

DerangedHobo:

darksakul:
[s]most original and creative idea movies had in a decade

AHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA-Oh wait you're serious....
Most creative and original? 'Not being a remake' does not mean original, Pacific Rim is the most cliche, simple, unoriginal film that i have ever seen, not saying it's *Bad* but how is this original?

Only simply the merits that it isn't based on a existing IP.
It is not based from another movie, or a comic book, or a TV Show , or a novel or anything like that.

Look was being passed as blockbuster hits lately, Lord of the Rings (the Hobbit), Batman and the Avengers. All are great stories but they are all pre existing IP. Hollywood is in a rut where every movie that does well is based from some book or comic, and its a ugly cycle that leads to terrible movies like Transformers, the Smurfs, the Chipmunks.

Was there ever a Pacific Rim Movie, book, comic or Novel beforehand NO.

Yes there tons of similarities Pacific Rim has compared to other movies in the Kaiju genre.
There also noted similarities to Neon Genesis Evangelion, if Neve fired Gendo and Hired General Flag from GI Joe, replace the Eva units with Gigantor sized Big O Mecha, The Monsters are classic Godzilla archetypes mix with a touch of Call of Cthulhu , And Rei Ayanami being the co-pilot to Duke.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here