Update: Twitter Outs J.K. Rowling As Crime Novelist

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Update: Twitter Outs J.K. Rowling As Crime Novelist

The Cuckoo's Calling has been kicked out of the nest a little earlier than anticipated, thanks to a mysterious London-based Tweeter.

If you've heard of The Cuckoo's Calling, a crime novel by Robert Galbraith, you're either a fan of obscure first time writers, or you happen to know - as a London-based Twitter user apparently did - that Galbraith is actually J.K. Rowling, of Harry Potter fame. Rowling had been using Galbraith as an alias, and had hoped that the deception might carry on for a while longer, but it was not to be. Sunday Times columnist India Knight got the tip from someone known only as Jude Callegari - whose Rowling Tweets have since been deleted - and once Knight got hold of the story, Rowling's anonymity was a thing of the past.

"I had hoped to keep this secret a little longer, because being Robert Galbraith has been such a liberating experience," said Rowling. "It has been wonderful to publish without hype or expectation, and pure pleasure to get feedback under a different name." Not that many people were reading The Cuckoo's Calling before this revelation; it sold 1,500 copies, hardcover and ebook, but that was it. No doubt that will change, and Galbraith's second novel - due next year - will get a much wider audience. Nobody seems to know who Jude Callegari is or how Callegari knew Rowling's secret. The account is two years old and hasn't often been used, except for the usual trivia and pictures. Callegari obviously lives in London, and Rowling's publishers are based at Victoria Embankment, but that's a slender thread at best to connect the two.

Is it any good, you ask? Well, not having read it, I can't judge. But if you were wondering what the Harry Potter writer was up to in her spare time, there's an eBook out there which you may be interested in.

Source: Hollywood Reporter

Update: It would seem Chris Gossage, a partner at Rowling's lawyers, Russells Solicitors, was the inadvertent leaker. He told his wife's best friend, Judith Callegari, who promptly Tweeted it to Knight. Russells has since apologized unreservedly.

"Whilst accepting [Gossage's] own culpability," said Russells in a statement, "the disclosure was made in confidence to someone he trusted implicitly. On becoming aware of the circumstances, we immediately notified J.K. Rowling's agent. We can confirm that this leak was not part of any marketing plan and that neither J.K. Rowling, her agent nor publishers were in any way involved."

Hmm a mysterious tweet-a secret identity revealed-and a book........WATSON THE GAMES AFOOT!!!!

Her first book sold like shit so she used ANOTHER alias with a fake twitter to out herself... See what the problem with writing mysteries is? HOW FAR DO THE LIES GO!!!!!!????????

It just goes to show: It doesn't matter if you can write Harry Potter, you have to be popular to sell books.

It would have been hilarious if she managed to get five or ten books out under the alias before it collapsed, and all of a sudden her money doubled.

slash2x:
Her first book sold like shit so she used ANOTHER alias with a fake twitter to out herself... See what the problem with writing mysteries is? HOW FAR DO THE LIES GO!!!!!!????????

I've heard that in England, the Nannies DON'T actually travel by parasol 0_O

I wonder if Robert Galbraith is an anagram for anything?

DVS BSTrD:

Brag Liar Betroth
Briar Hag Blotter
Labor Tag Rebirth
Bat Grail Brother
Alight Art Robber

Best that I could find. :)

This article is depressing.
It just proves that people care more about the name of the product/author than the quality of the actual product.
Her book sold like shit before this, but then after it was revealed to be J.K.Rowling, the sales on amazon increased by 507000%.

MinionJoe:

DVS BSTrD:

Brag Liar Betroth
Briar Hag Blotter
Labor Tag Rebirth
Bat Grail Brother
Alight Art Robber

Best that I could find. :)

All clever. But the second one actually made me belt out a laugh when I read it out loud. Much obliged. ;)

DVS BSTrD:

It might be a reference to J. K. Galbraith.

BiH-Kira:
It just proves that people care more about the name of the product/author than the quality of the actual product.
Her book sold like shit before this, but then after it was revealed to be J.K.Rowling, the sales on amazon increased by 507000%.

Well, duh. How the hell were millions of Rowling fans expected to suddenly know whether or not some obscure new writer's newest release in a genre that they aren't keeping track of, has high quality?

I see nothing "depressing" about that, it's natural that people need some guidelines how to predict quality in advance, if they can't just read ALL the newly released books.

DVS BSTrD:

slash2x:

I've heard that in England, the Nannies DON'T actually travel by parasol 0_O

MARY?!?! NOOOOOO!!!!!!!!! THAT IS IT MAN GAME OVER JUST GAME OVER!!

Anagram wise I got Alight Art Robber from a web generator.... OH CRAP DID SHE STEAL THE BOOK FROM SOMEONE!!!!! AHHHHHHHHAHHHHHH!!!!!! NNNNOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

These whole thing screams of "released to get legit feedback to make sure book is not slated like last one, then leaked deliberately by author/publisher to jack up sales just before the summer holidays from OMGHARRYPOTTERZ fans"

VonKlaw:
These whole thing screams of "released to get legit feedback to make sure book is not slated like last one, then leaked deliberately by author/publisher to jack up sales just before the summer holidays from OMGHARRYPOTTERZ fans"

She's a billionaire, I seriously doubt that she deeply cares about whether it sells 1500 or 1.500.000 copies, as long as she enjoyed writing it and got enough interesting feedback.

Entitled:

DVS BSTrD:

It might be a reference to J. K. Galbraith.

BiH-Kira:

Well, duh. How the hell were millions of Rowling fans expected to suddenly know whether or not some obscure new writer's newest release in a genre that they aren't keeping track of, has high quality?

I see nothing "depressing" about that, it's natural that people need some guidelines how to predict quality in advance, if they can't just read ALL the newly released books.

It's depressing because of the following.
There are 2 possibilities.
1. The book is shit and sold badly because of that. But then it got out who the author is and the sales increased by 500k%. It's depressing because people eat up shit only because of who the author is. The quality is completely irrelevant.
2. The book is good and sold badly. But then it got out who the author is and the sales increased by 500k%. It's depressing because the quality of the book was completely irrelevant to the sales. A good book doesn't sell, but a name does.

Either way the quality of the book wasn't relevant for the increased sales. People don't care about the book.

I wonder what the review scores for it were pre-outing. The fact it sold about 1,500 copies either means it had crap marketing or it wasn't that good, at least she will be rolling in cash now that Potterites will buy ten copies each because JK Rowling. Looking at some of the Amazon reviews its obvious most people don't give a shit about the content because they are giving it 5 star reviews just to say it's a JK Rowling book...

DVS BSTrD:

If you change the "B"s to "P"s: Harri Potter Gap L, if that means anything?

Though, as L is the 12th letter of the alphabet, and the 4th letter in Rowling's own last name. Divide 12 by four and the answer becomes so much clearer.

Entitled:
She's a billionaire, I seriously doubt that she deeply cares about whether it sells 1500 or 1.500.000 copies, as long as she enjoyed writing it and got enough interesting feedback.

Even if you are rich, people buying 15m of your product is better than 1.5k.

Adam Locking:

DVS BSTrD:

Though, as L is the 12th letter of the alphabet, and the 4th letter in Rowling's own last name. Divide 12 by four and the answer becomes so much clearer.

Half Life 3 Confirmed!
Gordon Freeman is a WIZARD!

considering that her previous non-Harry Potter book was a boring as hell I wonder if she tried the alias thing in order to avoid people bringing in expectations...only for it to backfire on her when nobody cared for it.

DVS BSTrD:

Adam Locking:

DVS BSTrD:

Half Life 3 Confirmed!
Gordon Freeman is a WIZARD!

"You're a wizard, Gordon!" "..."

slash2x:

Just watch, it'll turn out that Jude Callegari is Rowlings father, that she thought dead. And behind it all, the one planning everything is naturally, the butler!

Could the Escapist not get a picture of the actual book?

VonKlaw:

She literally has enough money to build a Scroog Mcduck money vault and swimm around in it. She didn't out herself. She wanted to know she was a good writer and not just coasting on Potter fame. Authors do this from time to time. Stephen King released several stories under the pen name Richard Buachman to see if people bought his books cause they were good or because they had his name on them. When a writer wants honest feedback outting themselves is counterproductive.

Her publisher on the other hand might have outted her with knowledge or consent. I doubt they give two shit about her writer insecurities. They book wasn'tdoing stellar and they were fixing to release a second book. They may have felt like not putting was as good as burning money, cause of greed.

BiH-Kira:

It's depressing because of the following.
There are 2 possibilities.
1. The book is shit and sold badly because of that. But then it got out who the author is and the sales increased by 500k%. It's depressing because people eat up shit only because of who the author is. The quality is completely irrelevant.
2. The book is good and sold badly. But then it got out who the author is and the sales increased by 500k%. It's depressing because the quality of the book was completely irrelevant to the sales. A good book doesn't sell, but a name does.

Either way the quality of the book wasn't relevant for the increased sales. People don't care about the book.

All the reviews actually praised the book earlier, so let's discard #1.

In that case, the sales increased, because people liked the books that Rowling wrote earlier, and they expected the next one to be just as good. In that case, the quality is not irrelevant to the sales, people are buying it because they now know that it has a seal of quality through Rowling's name.

Again, I'm asking, what did you expect, how else were people supposed to tell in advance that it's a good novel?

It's only depressing if you compare it to an alternate universe where everyone is omnipotent, and able to compare every single book in existence to each other, and pick the absolute best one.

In every other world, it's only natural that people have to use some external cues to decide which are the best ones.

BiH-Kira:

Or maybe it proves that marketing for first-time mystery authors is terrible. Let's be honest here: How many authors do you know about? How many authors can you name off the top of your head who had their first book published in the last two years? I'm sure somebody will show up and brag about their extensive knowledge, but most books get an absolutely minimal amount of advertising and just kind of end up on a bookshelf next to a hundred other books by authors nobody has heard of.

Sure, some of them are great, but far fewer people are willing to gamble on bad books than bad movies/games. A mediocre book is a lot harder to get enjoyment out of than a mediocre movie.

The Casual Vacancy was a heartless and nasty little tale and not at all enjoyable to read. Sadly my experience with that book has soured me to anything else J.K. might write. It wasn't bad per se, just awfully hateful and bitter. There wasn't a so much as a hint of what made her previous books brilliant.

And no, that doesn't mean all I want is Harry Potter.

BiH-Kira:

Welcome to the world of sales! <3

But seriously, I do find that rather sad. It is generally the way of things, I could write the best things in the world, and I would bet you money that they would find no fame if I posted them online. Which I do. Although maybe they're not the best things in the world...

Proverbial Jon:
The Casual Vacancy was a heartless and nasty little tale and not at all enjoyable to read. Sadly my experience with that book has soured me to anything else J.K. might write. It wasn't bad per se, just awfully hateful and bitter. There wasn't a so much as a hint of what made her previous books brilliant.

Do you mean that in tone? As in, you didn't like the tone? Or was the story and writing like that?

seydaman:

Proverbial Jon:

Do you mean that in tone? As in, you didn't like the tone? Or was the story and writing like that?

The story and tone were hateful. It were as if she had grown so tired of writing magical "good always triumphs" stories that she snapped and had to vent some anger and frustration. There's clearly a lot of personal experience being drawn on in the book and her personal views towards certain groups of people is very obvious. Everyone is a caricature with a very specific, exaggerated social flaw and not a single character is likeable nor compelling enough to make you want to find out what happens.

I get that it's a different genre and maybe the fact that it's a genre I would not have chosen to read was a factor in my opinion. It's not a tale where the characters learn lessons to improve or move on in their lives, it's a story where every character is built specifically to be hated and in the end you are left feeling a twisted glee when they all get their various forms of comeuppance. Either way it's not a satisfying read.

I feel this must be a bit upsetting to Rowling.

This was here escape from all the fame.
It was kind of like her solitude. Her little piece of privacy where she could write whatever she wanted without having the public eye breathing down her neck like hawks.

Now she has to find another alias to hide under.

And Richard Bachman's book sold only thousands of copies before people learned that he was really Stephen King.

I doubt Jk Rowling would out herself it would be beyond the point of having an alias in the first place, far more likely to be the publisher.

lacktheknack:
It just goes to show: It doesn't matter if you can write Harry Potter, you have to be popular to sell books.

It would have been hilarious if she managed to get five or ten books out under the alias before it collapsed, and all of a sudden her money doubled.

more like you have to be popular to sell books and if your popular you can write as bad as harry potter.

So, with people complaining about people not paying attention to the book until it was revealed to be written by a famous author, is the book actually any good?

I've never read it, and I doubt most of the people complaining have. So to anyone who actually has, is it any good?

BiH-Kira:

Thats not really too depressing. I followed one of my favorite authors lines of books from adventure, to sci fi adventure, then to military sci fi and I have branched out into each of those, discovering new and amazing books each time I branch off to explore other works in the genre.

How is it depressing that an author that the people know they like the writing of helps them expand their horizons?

Dragonbums:

It was kind of like her solitude. Her little piece of privacy where she could write whatever she wanted without having the public eye breathing down her neck like hawks.

its not like its that hard :P

Random Name generator gooo!

Gideon Scotty Durand

See? Simple!

Dragonbums:

Maybe. The book got rave reviews. So it's probably supremely satisfying to have your work validated based off merit alone rather than name.

Comocat:

Dragonbums:

Maybe. The book got rave reviews. So it's probably supremely satisfying to have your work validated based off merit alone rather than name.

Except that it didn't sell, so it was probably dispiriting to have her book ignored despite its quality.

I don't know how much faith I have in Rowling writing a good crime novel (or at least the kind I like), since internal logic really wasn't the strong point for Harry Potter.
But who knows.

Although I wasn't a huge fan of Harry Potter, the books were enjoyable enough for light reading.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here