Update: Twitter Outs J.K. Rowling As Crime Novelist

Pages PREV 1 2

CriticalMiss:
I wonder what the review scores for it were pre-outing. The fact it sold about 1,500 copies either means it had crap marketing or it wasn't that good, at least she will be rolling in cash now that Potterites will buy ten copies each because JK Rowling. Looking at some of the Amazon reviews its obvious most people don't give a shit about the content because they are giving it 5 star reviews just to say it's a JK Rowling book...

From what I saw it was extremely well received for a first novel, and the author was tipped as a major new talent. 1500 copies is pretty good sales for a first-time novelist in hard cover.

Comocat:

Dragonbums:
I feel this must be a bit upsetting to Rowling.

This was here escape from all the fame.
It was kind of like her solitude. Her little piece of privacy where she could write whatever she wanted without having the public eye breathing down her neck like hawks.

Now she has to find another alias to hide under.

Maybe. The book got rave reviews. So it's probably supremely satisfying to have your work validated based off merit alone rather than name.

That is a possibility.

However at the same time it being an escape is also possible.
Publishers would be breathing down her neck to make something that "sells" as opposed to something she wants.

She MADE Harry Potter when she had nothing else to lose. In fact she said she drafted the thing on a napkin.(not the whole thing but a little snippet to get her going.)
However she liked writing the series.

But we never will never know what went through her mind when she made her alias.

CriticalMiss:
I wonder what the review scores for it were pre-outing. The fact it sold about 1,500 copies either means it had crap marketing or it wasn't that good, at least she will be rolling in cash now that Potterites will buy ten copies each because JK Rowling. Looking at some of the Amazon reviews its obvious most people don't give a shit about the content because they are giving it 5 star reviews just to say it's a JK Rowling book...

Initial critical reception was apparently overwhelmingly positive.

Dragonbums:

But we never will never know what went through her mind when she made her alias.

She said she found it liberating. Not really a mystery.

And I sincerely hope she gets her next alias from the Wu Tang Clan name generator.

I think it's cool that she doesn't let herself get pinned down in a certain genre, that she's willing and able to write for a variety of themes. Her previous book, "The Casual Vacancy" wasn't that bad either imo, though not really my type of story.

But yeah, it goes to show that even if you make a good book (it got good reviews even though they didn't know it was hers), normally only a few writers get to leap into the sunshine.
Though once you're known, your name does stay out there.

Flatfrog:

CriticalMiss:

From what I saw it was extremely well received for a first novel, and the author was tipped as a major new talent. 1500 copies is pretty good sales for a first-time novelist in hard cover.

Her adult book The Casual Vacancy however was met to a big MEH.

Well someone's getting fired for this...

I guess I can understand Rowling wanting to go back to being a secretary typing up Philosopher's Stone on her bus commute. The Potter fandom can be fucking nuts!

A Partner (Chris Gossage) from the law firm that represents Rowling is the leak. Gossage told his wife's friend Jude Callegari. Callegari tweeted to a UK journalist (India Knight) who was in the middle of reading the book. Knight told her editor and after finding nothing about Robert Galbraith, decided to run with the story.

slash2x:
Her first book sold like shit so she used ANOTHER alias with a fake twitter to out herself... See what the problem with writing mysteries is? HOW FAR DO THE LIES GO!!!!!!????????

1) Her first non-potter book did not sell like shit at all, AT ALL (But it was *bad* - really really bad!). She definitely felt like her shitty book was selling like crazy because it had her name on the cover.

2)She sent this book out under the alias to see if it was good enough instead of using her old name or anyone connected with her. So some publisher picked her up a second time. I don't know if you know about breaking in to the industry but that's actually really impressive to manage to do even once.

Is 1500 copies for a new writer in a genre-fiction market good these days? I don't really know.

rapidoud:

Flatfrog:

CriticalMiss:

Her adult book The Casual Vacancy however was met to a big MEH.

Well, isn't that the point, though? How could anyone review that book on its own merits? I haven't read it but there wasn't a single review I read that didn't mention Potter at some stage. No wonder she enjoyed the liberation of writing under an alias.

Baneat:

Is 1500 copies for a new writer in a genre-fiction market good these days? I don't really know.

In hardcover? Definitely.

Baneat:

slash2x:
Her first book sold like shit so she used ANOTHER alias with a fake twitter to out herself... See what the problem with writing mysteries is? HOW FAR DO THE LIES GO!!!!!!????????

1) Her first non-potter book did not sell like shit at all, AT ALL (But it was *bad* - really really bad!). She definitely felt like her shitty book was selling like crazy because it had her name on the cover.

2)She sent this book out under the alias to see if it was good enough instead of using her old name or anyone connected with her. So some publisher picked her up a second time. I don't know if you know about breaking in to the industry but that's actually really impressive to manage to do even once.

1> In case the gif is broken

Look at some of the other posts people made in response to mine and my replies.....

2> With the advent of digital books it is not that hard to self publish now. For example this particular option is one that several people I know have already used. "Breaking into" publishing is not as hard as publishers would like you to believe.

Also someone published Twilight...... So taste has nothing to do with publishing anymore.

DVS BSTrD:

slash2x:

I've heard that in England, the Nannies DON'T actually travel by parasol 0_O

I wonder if Robert Galbraith is an anagram for anything?

There are a bunch of Robert Galbraith and related anagrams on http://www.thecodex.com/en/jk-rowling-and-robert-galbraith-anagrams - they're hilarious!

Pages PREV 1 2

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here