Richard Garriott Wants To Do A New Game

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Richard Garriott Wants To Do A New Game

Less than two months after he walked away from videogame development in order to "pursue other interests," Ultima mastermind Richard Garriott says he's ready to make a comeback.

Following his 12-day trip into space aboard the International Space Station, Garriott announced in November that he was leaving Tabula Rasa publisher NCsoft, and game development as a whole. "That unforgettable experience [on the ISS] has sparked some new interests that I would like to devote my time and resources to," Garriott said in a statement on the Tabula Rasa forums. "As such, I am leaving NCsoft to pursue those interests."

But now, as part of a brief 2008 retrospective on gaming for the BBC, the famed designer said he's ready to pick up where he left off. "After 25 years at Origin, the last thing I wanted to make was yet another medieval fantasy game," he said. "Now, after a very interesting break, I'm keen to get back into the fray and work on a new game. Probably medieval fantasy and probably online; there's something very powerful about getting people together."

Despite the failure of Tabula Rasa, Garriott is apparently still committed to MMOG development. "If I had to pick a developer who has done a bang up job, it would be [World of Warcraft developer] Blizzard," he continued. "The number of people they have converted is just amazing. They have shown all of us what good game development is all about."

What Garriott actually has in mind for his next project is a mystery. Will he retreat to the familiar stomping grounds of Ultima, or is he preparing for another excursion into new and uncharted territory? In either case, we can only hope that lessons have been learned, not only in game design but in managing expectations. Tabula Rasa was heavily hyped as a revolutionary step forward in MMOG development and when it failed to deliver, the backlash was considerably stronger than it might have been otherwise. The only safe bet in all this: Whatever he does, it won't be with NCsoft.

i hope that it will be better...

Oh Garriott.

Well, from the sounds of his quotes, he's looking to make a WoW-killer. Which is, really, a stupid thing to do for a few reasons:

- You'll either make a game just like WoW, but then why would people play yours? They've got WoW.
- You'll make a game worse then WoW.
- You'll make a game that's too 'different' but yet too 'the same'.

I'd love to be proven wrong. Especially since I'd like to see an MMO that doesn't get boring after a two months...which has been every MMO I've played.

He plans on making a new game? Oh my God. PLEASE NO!!!

Anyone else wondering what this two-month long interest he pursued was? Did he feel empowered enough after traveling into space to attempt losing his virginity to a woman?

Garriott craves attention. He's just blowing smoke. He'll say anything for Narcissistic Supply and Escapist can be relied on to give it to him and not ask any hard questions. To create an online game, you need investors, a publisher and people who believe in you enough to risk their time and effort. The only one with enough money to do it is his brother! What they did to NcSoft was shameful. Any investor would have to be crazy to trust him again.

He's always saying he's going to finish his mansion on the lake, too. It halted construction in 2000.

Escapist really ought to do the story on how much money was wasted on the Garriotts and Tabula Rasa. It's the biggest game flop, ever.

That guy is nuttier than an outhouse rat

I liked Ultima but ever since Garriott put himself in the game as Lord British it is like his ego has been out of control. Yes Garriott I understand Ultima was awesome. Yes it was pretty revolutionary in its time. No you won't ever recover your former glory. Oh and no you are not fuckin Lord British now come off that makeshift throne you crazy twat.

Probably medieval fantasy and probably online; there's something very powerful about getting people together

Soooo your going to remake Ultima? Again?

"If I had to pick a developer who has done a bang up job, it would be [World of Warcraft developer] Blizzard."

Wow, he really going out on a limb here. Maybe WoW will finally get the attention it deserves after languishing in obscurity for so long.

It was left out of the summary but he also stated that "Google is very good at searching the web" and "Apple has a very popular MP3 player".

edit: Oh, he also has this to say after his return from orbit: "SPACE IS BIG!!"

Online medieval fantasy? Way to raise the bar for innovators everywhere! bravo!

If he somehow succeeds and doesn't make another failure i will be completely and utterly surprised.

thedrop2zer0:
Anyone else wondering what this two-month long interest he pursued was? Did he feel empowered enough after traveling into space to attempt losing his virginity to a woman?

OOh, ouch. That's low. I'm sure that by his age he's had sex with something.

I've never been a fan of MMORPGS. If he can make one that doesn't involve grind. You know, like a regular RPG. I might just put some money into one for once.

What can he make that has not already been done better? Seriously, I played Tabula Rasa, it was fun for a few weeks, then after the millionth base recapture It got boring and full of grind. The only thing I can see him making that would be intresting would be to take one of the old ultima games and remake it with nicer graphics.

Urgh, i wish he would make something different to bloody MMOs.

Wait, he thinks that Blizzard did a good job with WoW? Amazing, I never knew that...

Tabula Rasa was ALRIGHT, I played it... hope he can do well with this...

Danny Ocean:

thedrop2zer0:

OOh, ouch. That's low. I'm sure that by his age he's had sex with something.

That's why I said with a woman.

Oh I can't wait to see what happens now!

You know it'll be Ultima because it's a mystery. If it were a brand new IP, he would just tell us, so that he could start building hype for it.

I bet he's going to save money for another venture into the big void known as space.

Coincidentally, his games have been void of fun and innovation.

I think the underlying message here is that Garriott will make a new game that doesn't do anything new, but attempts to do it well, like Blizzard. WarCraft Adventures and StarCraft Ghost were just too risky for Blizzard's business model. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but don't expect anything really interesting in Garriott's next offering.

CUnk:

"If I had to pick a developer who has done a bang up job, it would be [World of Warcraft developer] Blizzard."

Wow, he really going out on a limb here. Maybe WoW will finally get the attention it deserves after languishing in obscurity for so long.

It was left out of the summary but he also stated that "Google is very good at searching the web" and "Apple has a very popular MP3 player".

edit: Oh, he also has this to say after his return from orbit: "SPACE IS BIG!!"

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA thats really funny

Echolocating:
...but don't expect anything really interesting in Garriott's next offering.

Should we ever?

Arghhhh just make Ultima 10 already! And don't let yourself get pushed around by your publisher and release an incomplete product (ie. Ultima 9).
I want a (not MMO) co-op RPG like System Shock 2.

Phyroxis:

Echolocating:
...but don't expect anything really interesting in Garriott's next offering.

Should we ever?

Seconded.

jesus free-wheeling christ. Garriot, mate it's time to go to sleep. You will not win. Give up now. Nut case.

Wait I thought when he "left" ncsoft he had actually been bundled into the back of a white van.

Early releases from assylums really should be reconsidered.

ultima MASTERMIND?

Like in the same way Penguin was a mastermind or how Copernicus was a master mind?

-Shoots Garriott- It's okay everybody! false alarm!

Kidding, but really after Tabula Rasa failed does he really think making another one will be better? Just because it might be Medieval Fantasy doesn't mean it will be good because i can always go play Dark age of Camelot or something around that line.

Another medieval fantasy type game? Can we not have more space MMO's that do not involve freaking magic with the Human race? Tabula Rasa, KotoR MMO, SWG, etc. Stop with it! Sure, other species can, but stop with Humans and the whole "we found power! lolz!1" thing.

Sigh, awaiting the day a Mass Effect style MMO will be released.

Tabula Rasa tanked and Garriott may be a bit of a weird dude (and I admit that I have a little fun at his expense now and then) but where's all this hate coming from? The man's a goddamned legend, and for good reason.

Just between you all and me, I heard Richard Gariott sings "Princes of the Universe" by Queen to himself while he's rocking himself to sleep in his pressurized bubble. He's a legend, alright, but even kings, especially ones as self-styled as him, go off the deep end. More likely, in fact. And I'll pretend I didn't hear him say Blizzard did a bang-up job in their game development.

Malygris:
Tabula Rasa tanked and Garriott may be a bit of a weird dude (and I admit that I have a little fun at his expense now and then) but where's all this hate coming from? The man's a goddamned legend, and for good reason.

For throwing costume parties at his mansions?

Whatever it was that made him great way back when has been long gone. Many are they who long to recapture their former glory.

Now for something completely different.

I'm not too sure Garriott is really with us in this day and age, technology wise. He was raised using different code, and the transition between then and now has been enormous. Perhaps he cannot grasp exactly what is necessary for a game to be successful in this age.

It seems almost all these developers as some would call "game gods" have seemed to have lost their touch in this new age. I can see in my imagination the internal struggles at NC where they were probably saying "This is Garriott we're talking about, he'll do us proud." I think his crown has gotten too small for his head, personally.

I honestly wouldn't touch anything Garriott makes with a 100 foot pole. I'd really like to have the story behind Tabula Rasa brought to light here. My friend had linked to me an article by an NC insider from the corporate sector away from game development. At least 2 major versions (complete scraps and working from scratch), astronomical costs, and at least 6 years being baked and rebaked has really got me wondering if Garriott can actually pick a design and stick to it.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here