Phoenix Wright Meets Blackquill In Latest Trailers

Phoenix Wright Meets Blackquill In Latest Trailers

Capcom has issued two new trailers for the upcoming Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies, offering Western audiences our first introduction to the game's new avian-themed prosecutor.

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Dual Destinies is an upcoming Nintendo 3DS release slated for release in America and Europe at some point toward the end of 2013. Japan receives the game next week. As a result, Japanese gamers are already well aware of Blackquill, but for you English-speaking folk these two new trailers (one at top-right, one below) should prove novel.

That guy with the pet hawk? That's Blackquill. He's the new prosecutor introduced in Dual Destinies that serves as a foil/villain/non-aligned counterpart for the game's titular protagonist. Let's see ... what else should you know about him? Oh right, Blackquill is also a criminal with a sword fetish. Basically Capcom seems to have lifted The Penguin out of DC Comics, put him on a diet, and dropped him into the Phoenix Wright universe. After Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3, that idea seems weirdly fun.

Otherwise, Dual Destinies appears to be a relatively standard Phoenix Wright adventure game. You collect clues, solve mysteries and engage in overtly bizarre conversations with characters who would qualify as Japanese stereotypes of American social tropes if they weren't so over the top. If you've enjoyed prior Phoenix Wright games, you should be pleased to see that Capcom doesn't seem to have strayed far from the franchise's classic formula for Dual Destinies.

Unlike the vast majority of trailers sent to Escapist HQ each day, these two happen to be chock-full of actual, honest-to-Miyamoto gameplay footage. Propers to Capcom for that, but that also allows all of you readers an early chance to tear this game to shreds. Why would you do that? I have no idea. Maybe there's not enough pixellation visible for your tastes, or maybe your parents were eaten by hawks. Whatever your thoughts, drop them in the comments below. We're still hoping someone will explain the game's "M for Mature" rating, so in the meantime, why not discuss what we do know?

Words cannot describe how much I am looking forward to this! Hopefully this will be up there quality-wise with the original releases.

This is the strangest thing I have seen in Ace Attorney. Makes perfect sense, oddly enough.

Call me old fashioned but I really preferred the slightly pixelly look of the older games. I dunno, it was just more charming that way. Now everything suuuuuuuucks.

Well since i'm going to get a 3DS at some point this year anyway (because I cannot for the life of me find my old DS and Nintendo has full backwards compatibility) i'm obviously going to pick this up.

Hopefully the new Prosecutor will be a bit more... menacing. I mean Klavier was cool in Apollo Justice but he was just too nice y'know? Where was the "I want the defense dead in the water at all costs" things that were present in the first three?

Also if it pulls another cop-out ending like AJ i'm gonna be pissed. You do know the final case (especally the final court section) is supposed to be a battle of wits with a huge plot twist and really difficult presents right Capcom? Cuz in Apollo Justice it's literally walk into the courtroom, doing one of those emotion gauging thingies (which were cool but underused) then you get outright told what to present once then you win the game.

Wut.

Yes I know it's supposed to be thematic and shit. No. Just no.

I'm glad Nintendo decided, as far as I can tell at least, allows the game to retain it's subject matter to the point where even the ESRB grants it an "M" for mature. I just hope it doesn't bite them when they cant' sell it to as many people. The last thing we need is the game to not sell well, and the series being translated to end...

dragongit:
I'm glad Nintendo decided, as far as I can tell at least, allows the game to retain it's subject matter to the point where even the ESRB grants it an "M" for mature. I just hope it doesn't bite them when they cant' sell it to as many people. The last thing we need is the game to not sell well, and the series being translated to end...

Wait, what does Nintendo have to do with anything? M-rated games are just as allowed on their systems as any other and they didn't have any hand in the game's making or publication. Ace Attorney is Capcom.

VinLAURiA:
Wait, what does Nintendo have to do with anything? M-rated games are just as allowed on their systems as any other and they didn't have any hand in the game's making or publication. Ace Attorney is Capcom.

Nintendo spent years ensuring that no game with any remotely objectionable content would appear on a Nintendo platform. Here's a thing I wrote on it years ago: http://www.destructoid.com/nintendo-s-draconian-censorship-a-look-back-at-the-pussyfication-of-the-nes-52596.phtml

The practice has recently changed - it coincided with Nintendo's fall from the halcyon days of the SNES - and now Nintendo systems (can potentially) see as many M-rated games as any other system, though the lingering impressions that scheme generated in the minds of the public remain one of the key reasons why Nintendo finds itself saddled with a "kiddie console" image.

I'm guessing the rating has to do with investigating gruesome murder-scenes.
Also possibly themes. I've stayed away from a lot of the hype because I want to go in blind, but I think it starts with a terrorism attack or something? That's what I took from the Japanese trailer.

I mean, the original trilogy had some pretty horrendous scenes (especially one in Trials and Tribulations), but since the graphics were what they were, you never saw it that well.

Also, I'm impressed the court actually made sure the prosecutor won't go on a rampage on the defense with a sword.
Of course, I would have personally confiscated the blade from a convicted criminal (or anyone entering the courthouse), but that's just me.

The Wykydtron:

Also if it pulls another cop-out ending like AJ i'm gonna be pissed. You do know the final case (especally the final court section) is supposed to be a battle of wits with a huge plot twist and really difficult presents right Capcom? Cuz in Apollo Justice it's literally walk into the courtroom, doing one of those emotion gauging thingies (which were cool but underused) then you get outright told what to present once then you win the game.

Wut.

Yes I know it's supposed to be thematic and shit. No. Just no.

My biggest problem was how Apollo (who you play as) has nothing to do with anything. Klavier has more personal connection to the final case!
The connection Apollo does have is largely ignored and who cares anyway because we never find out much about him.

There's a reason no-one likes Apollo. He just wanders in the story and let's Phoenix be the actual main character.

I really have hope we get some character development for him in this game, though.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here