Epic Power Rangers Anthology Coming in December

Epic Power Rangers Anthology Coming in December

Powrer Rangers Legacy Collection

The Power Rangers Legacy collection will feature the first twenty seasons of the show gathered on ninety-eight discs.

I'm just going to put it out there that the Power Rangers, no matter which iteration you subscribe to, are about the most ridiculous thing ever. That doesn't mean we don't love them. In fact, were you to jump back (preferably in multicolored energy beams) to the early 90s when the series debuted, you'd probably find us chanting "Go! Go! Power Rangers!" like every other American child with a television. If you're still keen on "teenagers with attitude" today however, the folks at Shout! Factory may have just unveiled your must have commodity for the holiday season.

The Power Rangers Legacy: The First 20 Years collection is, as its name suggests, an anthology of the first twenty seasons of Power Rangers. Beginning with the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, the set runs all the way through to Power Rangers Megaforce. While this massive collection would probably be enough to sate even the most extreme of Ranger addicts, things get even better when you learn about the packaging.

Rather than just sticking the included DVD's in some run-of-the-mill box, the folks at Shout! Factory instead created an exact replica of the original Red Ranger's helmet that doubles as a case for the ninety-eight disc collection. "We actually got the original helmet used in the show, did a 1:1 digital scan of the helmet, created the file, then sent that off to the vendor, who was able to create a clay sculpture of it," said Brian Ward, who worked on the collection. While we personally would have gone with the Green Ranger, you'd be hard-pressed to deny how neat the packaging is. The caveat of this coolness however, is that the Legacy collection will be fairly limited. Shout! Factory will only be producing two thousand copies for distribution. While details on pricing have yet to be released, the the collection will become available on December 3rd, 2013.

Source: IGN

Only 2,000?

Man...that's gonna be one hell of an expensive collector's idea in a few years.

Loved Power Rangers when I was a kid. I still remember watching Fox and seeing the first episode. I agree that The Green Ranger would have been a better decision to go with.

On one hand, PR past Turbo was no longer on my radar, so I would not have the memories needed to watch it.
On the other, the first season up till Turbo would be great to own and that packaging is seriously awesome.

I'm never going to be able to own this though.

Ah the 90's, when the intro to nearly every Saturday morning cartoon show sounded like this:

Truly, it was a golden age for children's television theme music. Your weekend or after school time didn't begin with some crappy cereal or snacks, no, they began with a screaming guitar solo.

If the collection is under $300AU it will be mine.
It's just badass.

I'd love to have it, if it wasn't because I stopped caring about Power Rangers when the Turbo thing started. I never liked the Green Ranger thou, I'd be damn happy with that Red Ranger helmet.

If it really is "worldwide distribution", that better be region 0.

I kinda need this. My first words beyond vague interpretations of parental labels, were "Power Rangers".

I can't imagine this not being terribly expensive. And why on earth are they using so many DVDs? Why not just put them on Blu-Ray? You could probably fit all 98 of them on about 6 blu-rays.

I always feel a little bit selfish whenever I think of Power Rangers, because I always think how much I'd love a gritty, grown-up, Joss Whedony, reboot. It's a kids show, it's for the kids. But god damn I would watch the hell out of that.

At the rate remakes are going though, I suppose it's only a matter of time anyway. Hopefully it will be good when it happens.

Wow. Only 2,000. Those are some limited quantities. Even if you really want this, I doubt you would be able to get it. And the casing being a cast of the original Red Ranger helmet is cool. I could think of no better or more appropriate version. Though, if this was in greater quantities, having versions of each of the original Ranger helmets would be cool.

All this makes me wonder. When will Linkara get his next History of Power Rangers out? I know he said he was hoping to get at least one more out before the year's end.

Mcoffey:
I always feel a little bit selfish whenever I think of Power Rangers, because I always think how much I'd love a gritty, grown-up, Joss Whedony, reboot. It's a kids show, it's for the kids. But god damn I would watch the hell out of that.

At the rate remakes are going though, I suppose it's only a matter of time anyway. Hopefully it will be good when it happens.

I think we'd all watch the hell outta that.

Saltyk:
Wow. Only 2,000. Those are some limited quantities. Even if you really want this, I doubt you would be able to get it. And the casing being a cast of the original Red Ranger helmet is cool. I could think of no better or more appropriate version. Though, if this was in greater quantities, having versions of each of the original Ranger helmets would be cool.

All this makes me wonder. When will Linkara get his next History of Power Rangers out? I know he said he was hoping to get at least one more out before the year's end.

I bet he's looking forward to autographing more then a few of these babies next year.

Dude, it's all about the Green Ranger and Dragonzord. That said, god do I want one of these......despite that I would never watch past Turbo. Maybe Galaxy.

Couldn't they just make one disk and copy it 97 times? Would anyone notice?

(Just kidding - actually I consider Power Rangers to be the twentieth century Commedia Dell'Arte)

Must resist urge to buy this.....

KeyMaster45:
Ah the 90's, when the intro to nearly every Saturday morning cartoon show sounded like this:

Truly, it was a golden age for children's television theme music. Your weekend or after school time didn't begin with some crappy cereal or snacks, no, they began with a screaming guitar solo.

Some things never change:

The 2013 power rangers theme song....

(Haven't seen the show in well over a decade now but at least the song is the same...ish)

Shinsei-J:
If the collection is under $300AU it will be mine.
It's just badass.

Sorry dude, with 20 years, and that helmet and a limit of 2000 total copies, I am pretty sure this thing won't sell for under $1000 US CAN AU or otherwise....

But since the show has been filmed in Australia for the last 6 or 7 seasons maybe you can get a hometown discount of some sort.

Last year my residence hall did a Saturday morning cartoon event where we came down to the lobby in our pajamas and watched old cartoons from the 90s. I tried to stay through all of it but I went to my room and started watching the original Power Rangers series from start to finish because I was a Power Rangers fan more so than the cartoon of the time. Every bit of it is crazy stupid but I didn't give a damn because it's that awesome. If only it would be cheap enough for me to buy this for the nostalgia factor.

I was in my teens when I got into MMPR and I actually enjoyed it. Yeah, it was cheesy and campy but it had a certain charm that endured even in later versions. Having said that, I'm not too sure on buying the whole series. Turbo, Mystic Force, and Operation Overdrive were not my favorite runs and I lost interest in the show after Jungle Fury. Still, I do enjoy the first three seasons of MMPR, Zeo, In Space, Lightspeed Rescue, Dino Thunder, and S.P.D.

MorganL4:

Some things never change:

The 2013 power rangers theme song....

I don't know, the verbalised rollcall is new. Can't kids read anymore or have they become dumber? :P

P.S. GO GO POWER RANGERS!

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here