Alien Swarm FPS Mod Looks Like Left 4 Dead: Aliens Edition

Alien Swarm FPS Mod Looks Like Left 4 Dead: Aliens Edition

An upcoming mod turns Alien Swarm into a co-op first-person shooter.

While Aliens: Colonial Marines' rushed qualities might have crushed the dreams of many a xeno fan, hope remains, for there is a light on the horizon. While Valve's entirely free Alien Swarm might have both aliens and swarms, its top-down perspective doesn't create the same immersive experience that a first-person view might. To remedy that comes Alien Swarm FP, a mod that adds just that, turning it into a sci-fi Left 4 Dead that just might wash the taste of Colonial Marines out of the mouths of the many unfortunate people who purchased it.

While it's currently possible to enable a first-person perspective via console commands, the Alien Swarm FP mod fleshes it out. This means first-person weapons, ceilings, jumping, and everything else that got ironed out of the top-down game. Aside from reworking the entire campaign, additional campaigns and Oculus Rift support are planned, although that might be overly ambitious. While it's not yet released, it's currently up on Steam Greenlight.

Alien Swarm started out life as an Unreal Tournament mod until it got absorbed into Valve. Using their newfound resources, the original mod team quietly toiled away on an upgraded Source Engine version, which was released entirely free in 2010. Valve also released an SDK, which allows modders to edit the game however they see fit. Considering its history, releasing a free game replete with modding tools seems like a great way to grow the next generation of game developers/Valve employees.

Source: Steam

I loved Alien Swarm... However the lack of content and players made it die quickly

BRB, voting on greenlight. I thought Alien Swarm was pretty cool, but I hate mouse and keyboard for topdown shooters like that, and it wasn't well set up for using a controller, either. First person mode would make me very happy, and get me playing again.

Okay I'm going to vote this up, I liked Alien Swarm but Valve just didn't do anything with it and after playing the same campaign(?) five times, it got old, real fast.

Seems like others share my opinion on Alien Swarm.
So much potential wasted. It was great fun.

More contend and I would have gladly paid for it.

Alien Swarm wasn't bad not much replayability was what let it down

Surprised this wasn't made sooner really.
But yeah I'll probably play this. I liked the game a decent amount when I played it but me and my friends never really liked the perspective so this'll be a lot easier to get into hopefully.

hazabaza1:
Surprised this wasn't made sooner really.
But yeah I'll probably play this. I liked the game a decent amount when I played it but me and my friends never really liked the perspective so this'll be a lot easier to get into hopefully.

It was made sooner. Way sooner. Without a mod and with slightly clunky controls, you were always able to enter first person mode through the console.

I'd try it. : D
AS was fun, but it just felt like it was missing something. Like a sense of involvement.

CaptainThom:

Valve was counting on the community there. They threw out a free game, made it very moddable and said "go nuts". Sadly, nobody seems to have.

Which is a shame. I love Alien Swarm. My friends and I had a LAN party a week or two ago and Alien Swarm was the most fun thing we played. The concept of the game is fantastic and is one of the better co-op games out there. We played L4D after it and while we agreed it was good, mindless fun, we also agreed Alien Swarm was a hell of a lot more fun due to all the actual cooperation that needed to be done.

Vrach:

CaptainThom:

Valve was counting on the community there. They threw out a free game, made it very moddable and said "go nuts". Sadly, nobody seems to have.

Seriously. I haven't even heard about people using the engine as the basis for total conversion mods, even though apparently it's very easy to reassemble a functional first-person setup using some of the code from the old SDK. Between not requiring a paid game to use and having the features of Valve's newer games, you'd think modders would see it as a straight upgrade over the old SDK. The only drawback is that you can't make Mac and Linux compatible mods with it, and it's only very recently that you could do that anyway.

Oh hey, I remember seeing this up on ModDB months ago, glad to see they finally finished it (though I think it's a bit late now since Alien Swarm is more-or-less dead)

Quiet Stranger:
Okay I'm going to vote this up, I liked Alien Swarm but Valve just didn't do anything with it and after playing the same campaign(?) five times, it got old, real fast.

Yeah, the great thing about the ut version was that if you had other mods installed you could use their maps and weapons with just a few clicks in the menu. Of course it had no campaign, but spicing it up so easily made up for that.

Cool...I guess.
I mean...I kinda wish we could stop splitting all of the Aliens VS Space Marines resources between so many games and instead make one uber game.

Like, Natural Selection 2 with more weapons, wargear, alien types, and a co-op campaign mode in the style of Left 4 Dead.
That would be badass as hell.

Vrach:

CaptainThom:

Which is a shame. I love Alien Swarm. My friends and I had a LAN party a week or two ago and Alien Swarm was the most fun thing we played. The concept of the game is fantastic and is one of the better co-op games out there. We played L4D after it and while we agreed it was good, mindless fun, we also agreed Alien Swarm was a hell of a lot more fun due to all the actual cooperation that needed to be done.

You're playing Left 4 Dead wrong, apparently.

L4D should be murdering the ever-loving shit out of you if you're not cooperating.
...unless you're playing on waaaay too low of a difficulty setting.

I remember doing this manually back when I played it. It was quite fun.

I hope the mod makes the whole thing less rough, though, or else it's not really worth downloading.

Ieyke:

Vrach:

CaptainThom:

You're playing Left 4 Dead wrong, apparently.

L4D should be murdering the ever-loving shit out of you if you're not cooperating.
...unless you're playing on waaaay too low of a difficulty setting.

Not sure on the setting, my mate set it up, whatever's standard most likely, but we played Alien Swarm on Normal level difficulty as well, still kicked more of our ass. And yeah, we cooperate to a point, but it's a lot more running and gunning and occasionally helping someone out when they get grabbed by a Smoker and such. But Alien Swarm, we really have to keep together at all times, there's a very limited amount of healing and ammo and we have to play it right to even have a chance at it.

Might be that on harder difficulties, L4D comes out on top, but from what I've seen when said mate cranked the difficulty in Alien Swarm up to fuck with us, I don't think so :P

I'll just say this.
Alien Swarm is hard because the control scheme is clunky.

Left 4 Dead is hard because the game is utterly ruthless.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here